HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offseason

Closed Thread

Old
03-01-2006, 07:05 PM
Hunter07

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Hunter07
Offseason

Ok lets say we dump some cap and the cap goes up, what makes us think that Wang will spend all of the cap? I mean he is a buisness man, as some one pointed out the Isles have the worst attendence in the league. Just because we are getting a new GM doesn't mean Wang will give the OK to use up the budget.

I think that if the Isles don't win the bid on the collesium, he will just use the prospects in the system and not spend too much in the free agent pool. On the other hand if he wins the bid, I think he will spend as much as possible. So I guess what I'm asking is who here thinks that we will win the bid and if not how much will be spent this offseason?

Old
03-01-2006, 08:15 PM
cjdv16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter07
Ok lets say we dump some cap and the cap goes up, what makes us think that Wang will spend all of the cap? I mean he is a buisness man, as some one pointed out the Isles have the worst attendence in the league. Just because we are getting a new GM doesn't mean Wang will give the OK to use up the budget.

I think that if the Isles don't win the bid on the collesium, he will just use the prospects in the system and not spend too much in the free agent pool. On the other hand if he wins the bid, I think he will spend as much as possible. So I guess what I'm asking is who here thinks that we will win the bid and if not how much will be spent this offseason?
if he doesn't spend and improve the on-ice product, he's guaranteed losing money.

i think you'll see him roll the dice and spend a bit.

Old
03-01-2006, 08:21 PM
Hunter07

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdv16
if he doesn't spend and improve the on-ice product, he's guaranteed losing money.

i think you'll see him roll the dice and spend a bit.
That's what I thought also. I started this thread because some one who is pretty knowledgable of hockey brought that point up. I wanted to see what you guys thought.

Old
03-01-2006, 08:23 PM
blitzkriegs

First, Wang is going to win the Coliseum bid.

Second, NYI's budget gets no higher than what it was before the cap was initiated which was 42 million. Someone correct me if that is incorrect, but I know that is the ballpark figure.

Third, If I am Wang, I don't spend anymore than what you need to. One shouldn't spend money just to spend it. There are several teams right now that have plenty of cap space that are exceeding their own regular season expectations. Thus proving, in a short period of time in the initial season of the Capped New Rules NHL that teams do not need to spend to the roof to win. Again, this is limited to 50 something games and zero playoffs - the real indicator.

Fourth, I like what some teams have done in using the cap. In particular NASH and CAR. NASH is setting themselves up for the possibility of a deadline acquisition. One can argue they made such a move before the season for 'free' with Kariy, but they stilla have the ability to make another move to so-called bolster their lineup for the playoffs. CAR recently acquired depth by having such cap space.

Fifth, as usual, players are always available in the NHL for the right price. Now, such a price includes the 'space.'

Sixth, NYI should focus on acquiring additional veteran leadership, SC winning players, a more talented fortress for the developing Rick, and speedy/grittier players.

Seventh, it appears that the new GM, based on their previous and/or current teams philosophies will adhere to the above. NYI could have about 5-7 1st and 2nd year players on the roster next year. That may be too many, but it depends on WHO the Isles bring in as support to pad and cure the inexperience. The real key to the offseason.

Finally, I am looking forward to this offseason of transition. Hopefully, it will be one of removing the dead wood on this team and progressing forward to a better future. Too many players on this team are stagnant, nothing new to NYI in the last decade, but hopefully a new regime will bring a new attitude, new culture, and better results.

Last edited by blitzkriegs: 03-01-2006 at 08:29 PM.
Old
03-01-2006, 09:03 PM
Islanders4Life*

When the Islanders offered that promotion to lock on season tickets for next year I knew the Islanders werent gonna spend any more money that was just a scam to keep the season ticket money in

Old
03-01-2006, 09:07 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter07

From Wang previous comments about building the right way..I expect several of the Bridgeport youngsters will be on the isles next yr...Nilson,Nokelainen,Gervais,Bergenheim.

I think he'll be more willing to buyout Yashin if he's won the development bid,willing to bring in 1-2 ufa defensemen.

Old
03-01-2006, 09:13 PM
Hunter07

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW
I think he'll be more willing to buyout Yashin if he's won the development bid,willing to bring in 1-2 ufa defensemen.
I agree with that statement, but if he doesn't win the bid i don't see the first one happening at all or maybe not even the UFA's. We should all hope he wins the bid and soon.

Old
03-02-2006, 01:30 AM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanders4Life
When the Islanders offered that promotion to lock on season tickets for next year I knew the Islanders werent gonna spend any more money that was just a scam to keep the season ticket money in
The man has been here over five years, has lost close to a hundred million, took over operations in Bridgeport, is reportedly around this team all the time taking them and the Sound Tigers out to dinner, talks up this franchise over all the place in the media and yet what he does is still considered a scam?

Charles Wang could sell his hockey team tomorrow and still make the same bid against Wilpon and everyone else who bid on the property for the Hub and win.

Thanks to Wang there is a bidding process and has said repeatedly he will go where he get's the best deal for his team and is negotiating with Suffolk if this does not work.

The Islanders were only a million or so under the cap when they offered the ticket promotion so what kind of money were you looking for them to spend the rest of this season? They did the same thing before the lockout with the playoff plan and still he spent near the cap afterward.

Closed Thread