HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Messier allowed to play in the Heritage game...

Closed Thread

Old
11-18-2003, 06:25 AM
Joe Cole

vCash: 500
Messier allowed to play in the Heritage game...

Is this stupid or what? This shows you that when Gretz wants something, no one in hockey has the stones to say no. :p

Isn't this supposed to be a heritage game? Doesn't a player need to be away from the game for at least 1 year to consider him for this kind of game?

I know that this game is only for fun but the Messier inclusion is just ridiculous. Bettman should have just said, "No Wayne."

If not, why don't we get Theo in net, Chelios, Schneider, Desjardins, Malakhov, on D, and Leclair, Reechi, Cassels, Turgeon, Keane upfront. Fill in the blanks for other currently playing ex-Hab.

Why don't they also spot the Oilers 10 goals.

The worst part is that I will watch it anyways. I just hate the thought that these great Habs may be embarrassed by the Oilers. Have they so little tradition that they need to get current players to fill up their roster?

Old
11-18-2003, 06:33 AM
Gros Bill

Don't forget that the Habs will be something like 10 years older, on average.

As for Messier being allowed to play : typical NHL Bush league.

Finally, who cares who wins anyway? It's just an exhibition, and a chance for Waynesie to redeem himself to the good folks of Edmonton.

Old
11-18-2003, 07:23 AM
Howie Morenz

Good call. This is a game for retired players. Watters nailed it on the head while argueing with Kypryos on Sportsnet. He stated Messier left the Oil under his own free will for more money instead of staying,not like the other players who were traded or stayed. :mad:

Old
11-18-2003, 07:27 AM
gunnerdom
Go HABS Go!!!!

Send a message via MSN to gunnerdom
Still going to be a good game... I wanna see Richer and Lafleur's patented slap shot. It'll be great. I still would've wished for better goalies. Where's Red Light?

Old
11-18-2003, 07:33 AM
Owen Wilson

Send a message via AIM to Owen Wilson Send a message via MSN to Owen Wilson
I don't really agree with Moose playing either, but Kirk Muller is playing for the Habs so

Old
11-18-2003, 07:43 AM
zurg999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole
Is this stupid or what? This shows you that when Gretz wants something, no one in hockey has the stones to say no. :p

Isn't this supposed to be a heritage game? Doesn't a player need to be away from the game for at least 1 year to consider him for this kind of game?

Having Messier would mean that the entire core of those great Oiler teams (Coffey, Lowe, Kuri, Anderson, Messier, Gretzky and Fuhr) would be reunited (possibly missing Randy Gregg, is he playing?)

I'm a Habs fan first, but I lived lived out west during the 80's and got to watch all those Cup wins. I think it's great for all hockey fans that he'd be allowed to play with his old mates.

I think you're making too much of an issue about this. It's not like the points will count for anything.

Old
11-18-2003, 07:57 AM
gpearson1968

Dudes,

Get a life. It's an ol-timers game, and by last count, Messier is an old timer. Although I wouldn't mind seeing him throw an elbow, here or there. This is for fun, and the last time we'll see this group of stars together again, and apparently, a good chunk of them will be playing without helmets, including Gretzky.

Cheers,
Geoff.

Old
11-18-2003, 08:04 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:

I know that this game is only for fun but the Messier inclusion is just ridiculous. Bettman should have just said, "No Wayne."

If not, why don't we get Theo in net, Chelios, Schneider, Desjardins, Malakhov, on D, and Leclair, Reechi, Cassels, Turgeon, Keane upfront. Fill in the blanks for other currently playing ex-Hab.

Why don't they also spot the Oilers 10 goals.

The worst part is that I will watch it anyways. I just hate the thought that these great Habs may be embarrassed by the Oilers. Have they so little tradition that they need to get current players to fill up their roster?

I'd tell you to stop crying, but you are well past a few tears... relax. It is a meaningless game, and should just be enjoyed.

Are you really that concerned about the out-come? Messier isn't playing for the Oilers so Gretzky can win... hell, to be brutally honest, the Oilers don't need Messier on this team to embarass the Canadiens alumni...

And that isn't a shot at the habs, but if you look at alot of that team, alot of the guys are either in their 50's, or who in their NHL careers were more of an allround player.... whereas most of the Oilers were offensive minded. And in what promises to be a very allstar like game (no defense), the Oilers players are better suited to it. That being said, I highly doubt either team would want to embarass the other, and you will probably see a game like 9-7 or something like that.

Just enjoy watching 2 teams who have had different, but ultimately successful pasts.

And as for the Oilers having no tradition... take your head out of your ass. They may only have 25 years in the NHL, but hockey has been in Alberta and Edmonton for a very long time.

God, is your team that bad you need to cry about an alumni game?

Old
11-18-2003, 08:51 AM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
I'd tell you to stop crying, but you are well past a few tears... relax. It is a meaningless game, and should just be enjoyed.

Are you really that concerned about the out-come? Messier isn't playing for the Oilers so Gretzky can win... hell, to be brutally honest, the Oilers don't need Messier on this team to embarass the Canadiens alumni...

And that isn't a shot at the habs, but if you look at alot of that team, alot of the guys are either in their 50's, or who in their NHL careers were more of an allround player.... whereas most of the Oilers were offensive minded. And in what promises to be a very allstar like game (no defense), the Oilers players are better suited to it. That being said, I highly doubt either team would want to embarass the other, and you will probably see a game like 9-7 or something like that.

Just enjoy watching 2 teams who have had different, but ultimately successful pasts.

And as for the Oilers having no tradition... take your head out of your ass. They may only have 25 years in the NHL, but hockey has been in Alberta and Edmonton for a very long time.

Richer's going to surprise you guys...

Old
11-18-2003, 08:54 AM
AK-47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Wilson
I don't really agree with Moose playing either, but Kirk Muller is playing for the Habs so

Does anyone know the full lineups for both teams?

This is what I can remember for the habs:

Up front: Carbonneau, Muller, Richer, Brunet, Lafleur, Nilan, Lambert, Shutt

On D: Robinson, Ludwig

In Goal: Sevigny and ?

In my opinion, guys like Richer and Brunet should thrive in a game like this. They haven't been away from the game that long. The same can be said for Muller and Carbonneau. So, it shouldn't be that bad....

Old
11-18-2003, 09:00 AM
Kirk Muller

I don't think Messier should be playing, but I am not going to lose sleep over it. Its a freaking Alumni game.

Old
11-18-2003, 09:54 AM
Nyclaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpearson1968
Dudes,

Get a life. It's an ol-timers game, and by last count, Messier is an old timer.

Old
11-18-2003, 10:08 AM
Cawz

Quote:
Sure, why dont you dress your lineup and tell Lafleur, Shutt and Robinson that they cant play because winning is more important than tradition.

Lighten up man. The alumni game will probably be very boring after the novelty wears off after the first 10 minutes or so anyways.

Old
11-18-2003, 10:15 AM
Inertiatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone

Old
11-18-2003, 11:05 AM
Joe Cole

eh...hello....does the :p face mean anything to you. I know that it is a exhibition game.

As for you dawgbone....go surf the Leafs board. I thought I took myself seriously....sheesh.

The thread is meant for the same reason as the game, you are taking the thread to seriously. Gros Bill has the right idea, it doesn't really matter.

It was just a reason to debate line ups.

Lighten up.

Old
11-18-2003, 11:06 AM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyclaus
Yeah , wtf

Old
11-18-2003, 11:20 AM
mommyslittlemonster

vCash:
messier

Bald headed glory seeker.Who cares about messier I`m so sick and tired of this retard how long has he been in the league?what 40 years what is he 60???no wonder he passed Howe.Get out of the game messier were all sick of you.

Old
11-18-2003, 04:41 PM
zurg999

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyslittlemonster
Bald headed glory seeker.Who cares about messier I`m so sick and tired of this retard how long has he been in the league?what 40 years what is he 60???no wonder he passed Howe.Get out of the game messier were all sick of you.
Huh? Messier has 8 goals this year? What? Pardon?

Old
11-18-2003, 05:10 PM
deandebean

The senior habs are going to get crushed. I predict a 8-1 score.

Old
11-18-2003, 07:31 PM
CHareth

Quote:
When it comes to Gretzky returning to the ice for the first time since his retirement, no way in hell Bettman says "No Wayne." Gretzky still has too much star power to ignore him. I mentioned in another thread how much of an egomaniac I think Roy is, but Gretzky is right up there too in that department. Look no further than the 2002 Olympics and his not asking Bowman to coach the team. Why? Because Scotty Bowman is *the* final word in hockey, and I suspect Wayne wanted total control. Anyway, regarding the classic, I think it's obvious Wayne wants to shine in the spotlight and put a show on for his kids and the Edmonton fans. Bettman knows better than to take the spotlight off him for something like this. It's pathetic, but oh well.

Old
11-18-2003, 10:13 PM
Blane Youngblood

If Messier is playing in the haritage classic...

How would you feel about guys like Chris Chelios and Pierre Turgeon playing? Do you think they should atleast be invited?

Old
11-18-2003, 10:19 PM
evman150*

Nah. It's not really the same thing.

Messier played with the Oil during their glory years. Turgeon and Chelios definately didn't. Neither of them even won the Cup while they were in Montreal.

Plus Messier fits in with his team age-wise. Well, then again, so would Chelios. Hmmmm.....

Old
11-19-2003, 04:08 AM
EquabaleAce

Send a message via MSN to EquabaleAce
chellios did in 1986

Closed Thread