HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How much money the Islanders make per home game..

Closed Thread

Old
03-01-2006, 07:52 AM
boredmale

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddick
if he's making like $17mil a year, how is it possible for him to be losing 30+mil a year?? The payroll last season was only mid 30's, a moderate raise this year makes it higher 30's, but that just doesnt make any sense.
I wonder the same thing myself. Even if you consider our payroll to be 40 million all these years here is my math.

If the islanders make roughly 800,000 a game at home, that would be 40(rounding off for easier calculation) * 800,000= 32 million for the game revenues.

You figure between league revenues that might be an extra 5 million(tv contracts, merchandise, etc).

17+32+5= 54 million

So from that 40 million roughly is our salary, operating expenses might be in the 15 million dollar range(ie flying teams around, hotels, staff) so

40+15 = 55 million.

Now let's say my estimates for how much they bring in was 5 million to much and my operating costs is 5 million to little, that still would be roughly a 10 million dollar loss at worse(not 20)

Old
03-01-2006, 08:04 AM
kasper11

How much is the lease to the arena? That could easily make up the difference.

Old
03-01-2006, 08:18 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11
How much is the lease to the arena? That could easily make up the difference.
The way i thought it works is the Islanders get a certain percentage of ticket sales and revenue from the arena, while the arena gets the rest. Like i said i made a rough estimate the Islanders make roughly 800,000 a game a the Nassau County Colisium(not counting playoffs).

It's not like the Islanders have to pay to play there, it's just they get screwed in how much of the profits from the game they have because of the bad deal(that and there is no box seats which generates alot of cash).

Old
03-01-2006, 08:36 AM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale
The way i thought it works is the Islanders get a certain percentage of ticket sales and revenue from the arena, while the arena gets the rest. Like i said i made a rough estimate the Islanders make roughly 800,000 a game a the Nassau County Colisium(not counting playoffs).

It's not like the Islanders have to pay to play there, it's just they get screwed in how much of the profits from the game they have because of the bad deal(that and there is no box seats which generates alot of cash).
What are you basing your 800,000 estimate on?

Old
03-01-2006, 08:40 AM
NYIsles1*

During the blizzard game in Dec 03 against Chicago about 3,000 showed up and Micheletti said opening the doors and playing the game costs Wang about 500k.

I'm not sure if that extended to all the games he allowed fans to exchange those tickets for.

Old
03-01-2006, 09:12 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph
What are you basing your 800,000 estimate on?
I am just making a rough estimate, that he makes roughly 60+ bucks a head and we average 13000 fans a game. I figure he must get some of the parking and consession revenues.

Old
03-01-2006, 09:34 AM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale
I am just making a rough estimate, that he makes roughly 60+ bucks a head and we average 13000 fans a game. I figure he must get some of the parking and consession revenues.
Well, they could be where the loss is then. Let's say the Coliseum takes 50% of that, which would leave Wang with 400k per game, then he's losing 22million per season going by your original calculations. As I understand it, it is pretty much entirely the bad lease on the coliseum that prevents NYI from turning a proft.

Old
03-01-2006, 09:50 AM
Killer Carlson

Not sure where this fits in, but I thought I'd throw it out there. I had heard probably about 4-5 years ago that MSG was taking a huge beating with the Knicks and Rangers not making the playoffs. The numbers that they used were that every extra playoff game by each would net MSG about $1M.

Like I said, this isn't a perfect fit as there are many different factors (# of seats, different ticket prices, different deals for concessions, etc) but that $1M number at least gives something to roughly work with.

Old
03-01-2006, 10:32 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Carlson
Not sure where this fits in, but I thought I'd throw it out there. I had heard probably about 4-5 years ago that MSG was taking a huge beating with the Knicks and Rangers not making the playoffs. The numbers that they used were that every extra playoff game by each would net MSG about $1M.

Like I said, this isn't a perfect fit as there are many different factors (# of seats, different ticket prices, different deals for concessions, etc) but that $1M number at least gives something to roughly work with.
Thing with the Rangers is Dolan Double dips because he owns both the team and the arena. I assume a sellout in the garden get dolan over 2 million(for financial reason he probably splits it 50-50 between the team and the arena). If he was smart he would sign a terrible lease for the rangers and give the arena most of the cash so he could cry poverty when the rangers lose money.

That being said i assume a good number of teams make over 1 Million per game assuming there is sky boxes and they sell out. The islanders who don't sell as many seats as some and have a bad lease would probably make anywhere between 600,000-800,000(and that just a guess). From what i understand(and i could be wrong) the Islanders get the bulk from the season ticket packages, but don't make much else on other tickets or food and parking.

Last edited by boredmale: 03-01-2006 at 10:37 AM.
Old
03-01-2006, 10:37 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYIsles1
During the blizzard game in Dec 03 against Chicago about 3,000 showed up and Micheletti said opening the doors and playing the game costs Wang about 500k.

I'm not sure if that extended to all the games he allowed fans to exchange those tickets for.
lets assume 10,000 people exchanged tickets at an average of 50 bucks a ticket, that = 500K

Old
03-01-2006, 11:36 AM
Top Corner

Have you calculated Front office staff, Scouts , Arena security, ticket takers , doctors , trainers etc..

Does the team pay player insurance, Are the above on year round salary or seasonal?

Old
03-01-2006, 02:08 PM
blitzkriegs

No offense, but one can't reasonably come up with their best guesstimate by not factoring in all the costs associated with running the team.

Old
03-02-2006, 05:00 AM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs
No offense, but one can't reasonably come up with their best guesstimate by not factoring in all the costs associated with running the team.
I agree. This kind of information is simply not made accessible beyond estimates and some creative thinking that can only account for so many things. We have no idea who pays the security guards or the parking attendants (Smg/Nassau/Isles) and things like intangibles for insurance can be different for each player like contract language.

Once in a while we get an article with a reasonable breakdown of where most revenue comes from any what is taken but internal costs and overhead to operate just is something never detailed in depth for public consumption.

Look at the Yankees, 4m fans and a reported 85m in losses last season.

Old
03-02-2006, 08:44 AM
Killer Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYIsles1
I agree. This kind of information is simply not made accessible beyond estimates and some creative thinking that can only account for so many things. We have no idea who pays the security guards or the parking attendants (Smg/Nassau/Isles) and things like intangibles for insurance can be different for each player like contract language.

Once in a while we get an article with a reasonable breakdown of where most revenue comes from any what is taken but internal costs and overhead to operate just is something never detailed in depth for public consumption.

Look at the Yankees, 4m fans and a reported 85m in losses last season.
I totally agree. There are a myriad of costs that are involved that we really cannot reasonably determine without first-hand knowledge.

I tell you what, though...I'm as big a Yankees fan as they come, but there is no way I believe that they lost $85M. That was done to show MLB that the luxury tax is unfair.

Old
03-02-2006, 08:59 AM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Carlson
I totally agree. There are a myriad of costs that are involved that we really cannot reasonably determine without first-hand knowledge.

I tell you what, though...I'm as big a Yankees fan as they come, but there is no way I believe that they lost $85M. That was done to show MLB that the luxury tax is unfair.
At the end of the day this will always be a 1000 part puzzle where we are only given about 250 pieces.

I disagree with you on the Yankees, however and comparatively the Islanders face many of the same problems.

Renovated Yankee Stadium 74-76 is practically as old and outdated as the Nassau Coliseum. Like the Coliseum it has very limited luxury facilities and in the early 70's were eady to leave like their co-tennants. (Giants did) The revenue streams and attendance are in another universe than the Islanders but so is all the operating costs, in it's own way on a higher scale it seems on par with the problems the Islanders have with home much they make for a game in that even when selling out
(as Isles did for more than half of 01-02) they just cannot take in enough revenue to sustain their product.

Look at the new stadium proposed, they are more than willing to take away seats for luxury boxes and lower capacity, so are the Mets in the plans that are about to be announced.

Islanders are different in this instance because their capacity has always been too about a thousand too low for the building but the problems seem to be consistent.

Old
03-02-2006, 09:34 AM
Killer Carlson

Trust me, I know exactly what you're saying and your comparison of facilities is actually very good, but there are some big differences.

Mainly, the Yankees' tv revenue is HUGE. They are a local ratings monster and the fact that they own their own network is a tremendous revenue source. If they counted the money that YES makes, they wouldn't lose $85M. But, MLB doesn't look at that money b/c technically it is a different company, blah, blah, blah, but realistically, all that money ends up in the same place.

Closed Thread