HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#82 Rangers vs. Capitals

Old
04-07-2012, 10:18 PM
Blueshirt Believer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
This post shows a fundamental misunderstanding about sports. The best team doesn't win every game.
True but it is very different losing a game 4-3 to losing a game 4-1. Both are losses, but one of them shows some fight.

I try not to speak in platitudes, but it conveys what I feel.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 10:19 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
This post shows a fundamental misunderstanding about sports. The best team doesn't win every game.
And your posts constantly show a misunderstanding on how we've played for the past two months.

We haven't PLAYED like we did earlier in the year, when we were absolutely dominant. I don't see where I said we should win every game, I said we should've won this game. Instead, we put up a bunch of subpar shots with maybe 3 legitimate scoring chances, our goaltending and defense were atrocious- basically more of the same since March.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 10:22 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
The best team doesn't always win the championship either, but a lot of people here don't seem to be too concerned on the fact alone this team is 1st in the East. Which is also completely naive.

rip
Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henrik 30 View Post
Some of you here are fooling yourselves if you think OTT is the "worst possible first round match up".

As someone who greatly values statistics, the regular season series means NOTHING come playoff time. The perfect example of this was last season when we dominated the Caps in the regular season and did absolutely nothing in the playoffs.

Their defense and goaltending is average at best and while they do have Michalek, Spezza and Karlsson, their offense is relatively unimpressive. I would rather play the Sens over the Caps (who actually have offensive depth).

They are not a good team. I will say that without question.

But its a situation of match ups. Their system works well against ours.

If we try to be super aggressive on the forecheck, it will be a massive mistake.

Tort needs to create a proper game plan against Ottawa. He hasn't done it yet.

I will say that our team, talent wise, is certainly good enough to beat them. Unless Hank just completely craps the bed or something.

Old
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
And your posts constantly show a misunderstanding on how we've played for the past two months.

We haven't PLAYED like we did earlier in the year, when we were absolutely dominant.
Remember when the Pens overtook us for first?

You seem to not get that streaks come and go. You seem to want to analyze the team like a horse with blinders on analyzes the track.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Moosehead777

Rangers win series 4-2. Count it.

Moosehead777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 10:24 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

to be honest, im SO much happier this team is facing Ottawa instead of the Caps. Panthers woulda been ideal, but to me, Washington would have been the worst draw of the 3 teams.

Ottawa doesn't scare me at all.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 10:27 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Isn't it possible to still win the Presidents? Only need a Vancouver loss right?

Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 10:28 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
to be honest, im SO much happier this team is facing Ottawa instead of the Caps. Panthers woulda been ideal, but to me, Washington would have been the worst draw of the 3 teams.

Ottawa doesn't scare me at all.
Honestly, its about the same in terms of threat.

Washington isn't as fast as Ottawa. But they have the bigger guns.

Both Defenses aren't that great, but Ottawa's more mobile.

Old
04-07-2012, 10:29 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Remember when the Pens overtook us for first?

You seem to not get that streaks come and go. You seem to want to analyze the team like a horse with blinders on analyzes the track.
Remember when you were completely incapable of understanding that my entire argument lies with the on the ice product?

Our goaltending and defense have been inconsistent, and one or the other are usually lacking on a per game basis. Our offense is inconsistent, too. The only thing that has to do with streaks here is how streaky our play has been for the past two months, which isn't a good recipe for the playoffs.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 10:29 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Ottawa beat us in a shootout 5-4, we beat them 3-2, and our other 2 losses to them were were 3-1 where Anderson stood on his head (we outshot them 34-24) and a 4-1 loss where Biron was in net, and they had an empty netter...

it's not like they dominated us.

They don't scare me at all.

Old
04-07-2012, 10:31 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
Honestly, its about the same in terms of threat.

Washington isn't as fast as Ottawa. But they have the bigger guns.

Both Defenses aren't that great, but Ottawa's more mobile.
Washingtons playing some of their best hockey of the year right now. I wanted NO piece of them whatsoever.

Old
04-07-2012, 10:32 PM
Moosehead777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
Isn't it possible to still win the Presidents? Only need a Vancouver loss right?
Yes...they lose we win Pres Trophy.

Old
04-07-2012, 10:33 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Time to be an Oilers fan.

Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 10:35 PM
Killem Dafoe
k.

I just hope that when playoffs start, the old Rangers show up. The last 2 games have been jokes. I feel like they're playing a joke on us or something.

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 10:35 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Remember when you were completely incapable of understanding that my entire argument lies with the on the ice product?

Our goaltending and defense have been inconsistent, and one or the other are usually lacking on a per game basis. Our offense is inconsistent, too. The only thing that has to do with streaks here is how streaky our play has been for the past two months, which isn't a good recipe for the playoffs.
This is real life. It's not a video game. This stuff happens to everyone. No team out there is consistent in every facet of the game all year long. We've been the best team in the NHL all year. We have a ton more real wins (ROW) than anyone else in the league.

Your cowardly attitude is unwarranted

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 10:36 PM
Rangers2319

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Washingtons playing some of their best hockey of the year right now. I wanted NO piece of them whatsoever.
I was in that same camp, now that backstrom is back, thats what I think kept them down this year

Rangers2319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 10:37 PM
Rangers2319

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killem Dafoe View Post
I just hope that when playoffs start, the old Rangers show up. The last 2 games have been jokes. I feel like they're playing a joke on us or something.
we locked up first place i doubt any of them cared you could tell how they played it was sloppy there was no motivation. not worried heading into playoffs

Rangers2319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Moosehead777

End of season. Nothing to play for. Except pres trophy. But it only really matters if the 1st seed comes out of the West. If not we have home ice advantage all throughout. Resting while playing might have been more of an incentive. Dont wanna wear yourself out than enter playoffs worn out. However when the playoffs start it will be the old Rangers. Dont read to much into the games played after clinching. LGR!!!!

Last edited by Moosehead777: 04-07-2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHamiltonsTan View Post
why not?
they lost the season series 3-1 and it took a skills comp to win the 1 game. not exactly dominating by any stretch. If the rangers don't get their **** together pronto they will not only lose but take an absolute beating.
Wrong. We beat them in regulation in Ottawa. One of their wins came in the shootout.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 10:52 PM
Moosehead777

Ottawa is gonna get the smack down. Trust and believe.

Old
04-07-2012, 10:53 PM
ltsthinaz

Quote:
Some of you here are fooling yourselves if you think OTT is the "worst possible first round match up".

As someone who greatly values statistics, the regular season series means NOTHING come playoff time. The perfect example of this was last season when we dominated the Caps in the regular season and did absolutely nothing in the playoffs.

Their defense and goaltending is average at best and while they do have Michalek, Spezza and Karlsson, their offense is relatively unimpressive. I would rather play the Sens over the Caps (who actually have offensive depth).
I happen to agree with you. Remember, Ottawa at the beginning of the season was expected to battle the Icelanders for first pick in the draft, not make the playoffs. That they made the playoffs is a tribute to them, but it also tells us they have quite a lot of weaknesses.

ltsthinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:05 PM
The Lone Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersDif View Post
I ****ing excited for the playoffs to start, that's all. This game is history now. We'll play Ottawa most likely. Our record:

10/29: Ottawa - Rangers 5-4 OTL (We lost a three goal lead in the 3rd)
11/9: Rangers - Ottawa 3-2 W
1/12: Ottawa - Rangers 3-0 L
3/8: Rangers - Ottawa 1-4 L

That first loss was just ******** the bed in the third...
The pundits were having a field day, thinking that the Sens have our number because they hold a 3-1 record against us. But that first game,.... meh! We should won that one. In fact, we dominated the first 2 and a half periods of that game, then just had one of those trainwrecks that even the best teams experience at least once or twice during a long 82 game season.

Definitely still a diehard believer in this team, but yeah. Today's game was a hard one to watch.

The Lone Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:06 PM
Esa 10

Quote:

As someone who greatly values statistics, the regular season series means NOTHING come playoff time. The perfect example of this was last season when we dominated the Caps in the regular season and did absolutely nothing in the playoffs...
Exactly. A couple of our regular season wins over the Caps last year were blow-outs too. Didn't help in the play-offs, did it. I'd much rather face Ottawa in the 1st round than Philly or Boston for example, regardless of our far superior head to head record against those teams. Prefer facing Ottawa to going against the Caps as well. Only Florida would've been a more favorable opponent.

Some food for thought. This year's regular season records:

Ottawa-NYR 3-1
Wash-Boston 3-1
Philly-Pitts 4-2
NJ-Florida 2-2

Does this mean Wash is favored over Boston? Philly will have an easy time with Pitts? Florida is as strong a team as NJ? I think those would be silly conclusions.

Esa 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:42 PM
SnowblindNYR

I turned off my DVR after the Caps went up 4-1. 4 goals on ****ing 17 shots? Is Lundqvist ****ing kidding. I won't call any of the goals soft although the first one I didn't like too much (still a screen is tough), but 4 goals on 17 shots. Can he make a ****ing save? Lundqvist gets outplayed by ****ing Holby? What a ****ing joke. What a way to finish the season. Now we get Ottawa the team that we have the 2nd worst eastern record against lose the Presidents' Trophy. How the **** do you give up 4 goals on 17 shots and call yourself an elite goalie? What the ****?

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote