HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Losing the Presidents Trophy is a major letdown

Old
04-07-2012, 11:28 PM
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3000
I'm pretty upset we didn't win the Presidents' Trophy. If Lundqvist doesn't step his game up in the playoffs, my opinions will change on him. We never blamed him of his playoff performance because we were always the underdogs, but now, we're not. Right now, he has the perfect opportunity to win, and if he doesn't, I'll be ****ing mad; especially at him.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." -31-
Screw You Rick Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:29 PM
SnowblindNYR

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TullyNYR View Post
Woe is me. Luckily there is still another trophy on the table.
We're not winning the ****ing cup. The Presidents' Trophy is all we could hope for. We don't have enough offense. Our defense hasn't been good since December. Our goalie decided to take a vacation in the last two months outside of the Flyers game. This team has no shot at the cup. I don't even know if this team right now has a shot against the far more talented Ottawa Senators. Karlsson, Speeza, and probably Alfredsson are better than every player on this team not named Lundqvist. And they're better than every player on this team than the Lundqvist of the last month and a half.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:31 PM
Affinity

Always something isn't there? I wish I could say I'm upset but how can I be when they severely exceeded my expectations? They will finish with the 2nd best record in the league, best record in the east and the division winner in arguably the toughest division in the league. Can't say I'm disappointed at all.

Affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Megustaelhockey
Global Moderator
Hybrid icing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
We're not winning the ****ing cup. The Presidents' Trophy is all we could hope for. We don't have enough offense. Our defense hasn't been good since December. Our goalie decided to take a vacation in the last two months outside of the Flyers game. This team has no shot at the cup. I don't even know if this team right now has a shot against the far more talented Ottawa Senators. Karlsson, Speeza, and probably Alfredsson are better than every player on this team not named Lundqvist. And they're better than every player on this team than the Lundqvist of the last month and a half.
I don't agree with the bolded portion. I think that talent, if it existed as you describe it, would have the Senators in first and us in eighth.

Megustaelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
OverTheCap

Regarding the regular season, I wanted the division and anything else in addition to that was gravy to me.

We hadn't relinquished the division or conference since December so it would be disappointing to lose that. However, I never really felt like we had the President's Trophy locked up. St. Louis, Vancouver, and even Detroit earlier in the year looked poised to win the President's Trophy. Would have been nice but oh well, no biggie.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:32 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Message to Canucks fans.

Don't even think about it.

04-07-2012, 11:32 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

been a long while since the presidents trophy winner won the cup.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:33 PM
Megustaelhockey
Global Moderator
Hybrid icing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Yeah, but like I said in another thread, anyone who feels second best is good enough... well, hockey is not for them.

Megustaelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:34 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Snowblind, wipe the snow out of your eyes and try to see this. If you think we're limping into the playoffs check out the Sens play lately. They must be crawling in.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:35 PM
IAMREALITY

I'm kinda with ya. My two boys, 6 and 8, have followed all season. First year they finally started watching with me. They went to bed so sad. I wanted it for them so badly, but what can ya do.

I'm a bit bummed myself. Sure, doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things, but it is a banner and it is a point of pride. But what concerns me is that a good team, a really good team, a stanley cup potential team, would've won this game. That's what good teams do. They take care of business. But these last two games? To lose both? We didn't earn the trophy. It's as simple as that. And I'm glad Vancouver is looking like they're gonna win their game, cause I didn't want the trophy because they lost. I wanted it because we won. We didn't.

Now we move on to Ottawa, the one team we have the worst record against all season long. First round is gonna be interesting for sure. We've sucked against Ottawa this year, and I'm kinda terrified now going into the playoffs.

I just wanted to see them shine. I wanted them to go out there and take care of business, with confidence and decisiveness. I wanted us to make a statement. So I don't care what anyone says; we definitely got a little punch to the gut these last few games. But alas, tis true, the season is over and the new season begins. May we reconnect with our swagger and kick the Senators back to canada...

IAMREALITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:36 PM
ck20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megustaelhockey View Post
No, but it does equal a banner. And for a team that's been around as long as we have, we don't have nearly enough of them.
So a banner that only says we were really good in the regular season and won a statistical race. I'd much rather have one saying we were really good in the post season instead. 16 teams make playoffs, 1st seed or 8th seed has the same chance of winning the trophy that EVERY player in the entire world wants to play for. Like I said in another thread, tell me who won the Presidents Trophy 2-3 years ago? Then tell me who won the Stanley Cup 2-3 years ago?

Quality over quantity.

ck20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:36 PM
theJUMPER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Affinity View Post
Always something isn't there? I wish I could say I'm upset but how can I be when they severely exceeded my expectations? They will finish with the 2nd best record in the league, best record in the east and the division winner in arguably the toughest division in the league. Can't say I'm disappointed at all.
That is the most impressive thing about this team, that they accomplished this season in the midst of the Atlantic division. I'd favor the Penguins, Flyers and Devils over every team in the West, sans Vancouver, in a 7 game series.

I don't think anyone can argue that there is a better division than the one the Rangers are 1st place in.

theJUMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:37 PM
Death By BB Gun
#therightway

Quote:
And I thought I used to be negative. Have you ever said anything positive about this team? Even after a win?

Death By BB Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:38 PM
DontTazMeBro
LoveYouRyanNash

Have you seen the this Rangers team, be happy that your a good seed in the playoffs, my Blackhawks are the 6TH seed..

DontTazMeBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:39 PM
iamthewalrus

vCash: 920
did i misread or was lundqvist directly blamed for not giving us a better season than we had...? best record in 18 years says what?

iamthewalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:39 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i could not, literally, care less about the P.T.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:40 PM
DontTazMeBro
LoveYouRyanNash

And forget the *the i had sorry i can't edit my posts,

Old
04-07-2012, 11:42 PM
ck20

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthewalrus View Post
did i misread or was lundqvist directly blamed for not giving us a better season than we had...? best record in 18 years says what?
A lot of this sudden pessimism is just a knee-jerk reaction to how we've played to end the season. And while yes, Hank did have a bad game tonight..get over it. He's a world-class goalie who will undoubtedly tighten his game up during playoffs. We clinched the Eastern Conference over the likes of Boston, Philly, and Pittsburgh with like what, 7 or 8 games left? We were slated to be a mid-seed team, but here we are 2nd in the league and undisputed 1st in the east. We were PRAYING last year and the year before (and just about every year outside of this one) to just make it in the playoffs. It's just a story of "what have you done for me lately?" and everyone seems to forget the unbelievably incredible season this team had to get to this point.

I couldn't be happier with the way this season has gone and the way this Rangers team has come together.

ck20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:44 PM
Affinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontTazMeBro View Post
Have you seen the this Rangers team, be happy that your a good seed in the playoffs, my Blackhawks are the 6TH seed..
Some people just like to complain about everything I think. I guess it's a defense mechanism so they won't be "really" upset if we fail because they expected it the whole time! OR maybe they're Mets fans

Affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:46 PM
DontTazMeBro
LoveYouRyanNash

Quote:
Some people just like to complain about everything I think. I guess it's a defense mechanism so they won't be "really" upset if we fail because they expected it the whole time!
I hate the negativity on this board sometimes..The Rangers are my favorite eastern conference team, so I'm hoping you guys make it if my Hawks lose.

Old
04-07-2012, 11:48 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Some people just like to complain about everything I think. I guess it's a defense mechanism so they won't be "really" upset if we fail because they expected it the whole time! OR maybe they're Mets fans
Hey, I think us mets fans are a lot more appreciative of success since we never actually experience it for very long ...

Yankees fans are the spoiled ones

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:49 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
Chill, brah.

Jarkko Immonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Which has nothing to do with the Presidents' Trophy.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by htk30 View Post
A lot of this sudden pessimism is just a knee-jerk reaction to how we've played to end the season. And while yes, Hank did have a bad game tonight..get over it. He's a world-class goalie who will undoubtedly tighten his game up during playoffs. We clinched the Eastern Conference over the likes of Boston, Philly, and Pittsburgh with like what, 7 or 8 games left? We were slated to be a mid-seed team, but here we are 2nd in the league and undisputed 1st in the east. We were PRAYING last year and the year before (and just about every year outside of this one) to just make it in the playoffs. It's just a story of "what have you done for me lately?" and everyone seems to forget the unbelievably incredible season this team had to get to this point.

I couldn't be happier with the way this season has gone and the way this Rangers team has come together.
Indeed. This has bee an incredible season. Can't wait for the playoffs to start.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:50 PM
tlallstar6

vCash: 1312
Send a message via AIM to tlallstar6
Losing the trophy is a letdown. I was not worried about it with 2-3 games left in the season. It definitely became a letdown when we went into tonight's game needing a victory to win it...and we come out with what was a fairly poor performance. It will eat away at me until Game 1.

tlallstar6 is offline   Reply With Quote