HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Series Talk - WCQF - #4 Nashville Predators 4 vs #5 Detroit Red Wings 1

Old
04-07-2012, 11:49 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
well, here it is.

we always knew that before we could really feel like we had "made it" we were gonna have to beat the Wings in a playoff series....

if we do win it will be a profound relief and a sense of validation of how the team has been built.

if we lose this series, I think we implode, and it will feel like "if we couldn't beat these guys this year, we never will...."

I'm thinking this is the true "tipping point" of our franchise...

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:54 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

vCash: 500
I cant stand not shaving for more than a week, but I think I'm gonna grow a playoff beard for the second straight year. But ugggh I hate too much facial hair. #PredsProblems

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 12:09 AM
maplepred

I hate this stupid rule where the division leaders are automatically seeded 1,2,3, in each conference. It's ridiculous really.

We beat hawks this year and were better team but we play wings? While hawks play team with worse record then Detroit, Nashville, or Chicago and they finished 6th in west??

Kind of seems like a dumb system, we would have almost been better to lose last two games and play easier team for doing so lol.

I saw if the division sucks, then let them seed how they are, if none are playoff teams then throw division leader in at 8th seed so they still have hardest path to cup as opposed to seeding them 3rd with home ice advantage. Dumb rule and I don't get it.

maplepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 12:21 AM
klt2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
I hate this stupid rule where the division leaders are automatically seeded 1,2,3, in each conference. It's ridiculous really.

We beat hawks this year and were better team but we play wings? While hawks play team with worse record then Detroit, Nashville, or Chicago and they finished 6th in west??

Kind of seems like a dumb system, we would have almost been better to lose last two games and play easier team for doing so lol.

I saw if the division sucks, then let them seed how they are, if none are playoff teams then throw division leader in at 8th seed so they still have hardest path to cup as opposed to seeding them 3rd with home ice advantage. Dumb rule and I don't get it.
Yeah I don't like the division leaders automatically seeding 1, 2, 3 also in each conference especially if their division is weak or doesn't have alot of points in their division vs other teams/divisions. I think they should let them seed but have the division leaders play each other instead for the first series and they can base the matchups on the strength of their schedule or who had the most points at the end of the season and have the highest division leader play the lowest division leader and so on (kind of how we have it now w/ the #1, #2, #3, etc seed playing the #8, #7, #6 etc seed) then everybody else that didn't lead their division but made the play off cut off line can play each other for the first series until they make it to the 2nd series. Then the 3 remaining division leaders can join back in for the 2nd series to start it back up again. But it's probably just too complicated to do it that way and just easier to stick w/ the system they have now.

Last edited by klt2001: 04-08-2012 at 12:53 AM.
klt2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 12:35 AM
I Will Son
An Army of One

IMHO the 3 division leaders should just get a playoff spot regardless of how many pts they have. Then reseed the whole conference on points

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 12:45 AM
klt2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
IMHO the 3 division leaders should just get a playoff spot regardless of how many pts they have. Then reseed the whole conference on points
That would be the easiest way to do it.

Last edited by klt2001: 04-08-2012 at 12:57 AM.
klt2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 04:15 AM
sharkbite3
Don't Go Joe

I'll be cheering hard for you guys against Detroit. Good luck!

sharkbite3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 04:58 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

I can't grow a playoff beard: I was already growing a mustache and goatee for Marchstache here in Taiwan, and I decided to keep the 'stache and goatee as it actually looks decent. That said, wife said no bueno to more facial hair.

I like our chances against the Wings. Can't wait!

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 05:20 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Oh and not sure if it's just me but none of the images in the first post are working.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 07:13 AM
Legionnaire11

Seeding the division winners 1,2,3 is fine with me. Otherwise it makes divisions meaningless if winning them has no incentive. Of course the proposed re-alignment eliminated that issue... still can't figure out why everyone was against it.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 08:10 AM
MrMariusz

We have a more complete team than the Wings.
Should take the series.
Make it so.

MrMariusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 09:16 AM
Datsyukian Deke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
After this series I'm going to go ahead and assume any Red Wings fan who doesn't recognize the Preds as a rival is a troll
It'll be a great series no doubt...but that's still a little bit of a stretch to say 3 first round matchups in 8 years makes a rivalry just yet...it's on its way though I'm sure...give it time.

Best of luck in the upcoming series!...as a hockey fan...it will be a joy to watch!

Datsyukian Deke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 09:25 AM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
I'm thinking NBC Sports will want us to play Wednesday/Friday/Sunday/Tuesday in games 1-4 in order to have in Detroit in Friday night and Sunday afternoon games.
did the nhl adopt a 1-2-1-1-1-1 format?

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 09:27 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datsyukian Deke View Post
It'll be a great series no doubt...but that's still a little bit of a stretch to say 3 first round matchups in 8 years makes a rivalry just yet...it's on its way though I'm sure...give it time.

Best of luck in the upcoming series!...as a hockey fan...it will be a joy to watch!
I'm not saying that it should be recognized as one of the great rivalries in sports or anything, but there does exist a population of Wings fans who don't even recognize the Preds as rivals AT ALL. They continue to carry the attitude of "Nashville who?" as if to shield themselves from the reality that the Central division is ****ing insane.

I mean, I don't hate the Wings. I respect them in fact. They are a rival in my mind. It seems like after all of this time and after meeting in the play offs a few times Wings fans would at least agree

But hey, I'm not going to lose sleep over it either way

Good luck to you, too. I've already texted my friends who are Wings fans to wish them good luck in the series

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 10:35 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
The interesting question guys for me will be Andrei, Gaustad and Suter. The first two for obvious reasons that having them kick it up a notch would be HUGE for this team.
I'm not sure that Andrei will be a leading goal scorer for you in the playoffs (although he may well be one of the better point scorers) but although his past playoff scoring isn't great, he can score goals when his team needs them. He scored on his first ever playoff shift against the Bruins. That same series, he scored twice in game 7. In the next round, when we went into the 3rd period of the elimination game trailing to the Flyers and needing someone to get something done, he came out and tied it up before we were finally put down. Last year there was a game we were down to the Bruins and AK deke'd Chara almost off his feet and finally got us on the board. That would be the good side of him. Sadly, the past shows that there have often been games where he couldn't register anything. Sometimes the team was awful (08-09), sometimes he was playing injured (last year he blocked a Chara slapshot on his first shift and missed some time) and sometimes he just doesn't play well. If he gets into a rut where things aren't working, the last few weeks should have helped him learn how to play with whatever linemates he ends up with if/when things need to be switched round. At least his confidence should be up a little at the moment, having scored a point in 6 of the last 8 games. Hopefully he is able to come up big for you guys and help the Preds win games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
I cant stand not shaving for more than a week, but I think I'm gonna grow a playoff beard for the second straight year. But ugggh I hate too much facial hair. #PredsProblems
By the power of Weber, you must find the strength within you for the sake of the team.

This was my effort a couple of years back:

Pretty good, but not as good as the year the Hamilton Bulldogs won the Calder Cup. It is unfortunate that playoff beards are at their biggest at a time when summer arrives. Someone didn't take that into account when deciding what months a hockey season would cover

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 10:40 AM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
Seeding the division winners 1,2,3 is fine with me. Otherwise it makes divisions meaningless if winning them has no incentive. Of course the proposed re-alignment eliminated that issue... still can't figure out why everyone was against it.
Sure, I'm all for guaranteeing one team from each division a playoff spot! That's the benefit of winning your division. But seeding a less successful/talented team ahead of other teams that played harder all season and EARNED more points. But the team with 10 less points get home ice advantage and an easier opponent just because they won their division. It's really quite senseless.

If a division sucks a someone wins it with a subpar record, seed them last seed at eighth and if they wanna win cup they will have to earn it.

maplepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 10:51 AM
FlexinMyPeks
Impekkable

I can't wait. I wish Game 1 was at noon today.

FlexinMyPeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 11:02 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
Sure, I'm all for guaranteeing one team from each division a playoff spot! That's the benefit of winning your division. But seeding a less successful/talented team ahead of other teams that played harder all season and EARNED more points. But the team with 10 less points get home ice advantage and an easier opponent just because they won their division. It's really quite senseless.

If a division sucks a someone wins it with a subpar record, seed them last seed at eighth and if they wanna win cup they will have to earn it.
In the case of the Yotes ...they beat the Hawks in 3 of 4 games. Their record against the eastern conference and the NW division is comparable to that of the Preds. The Pacific division is far from weak ... if anything it is the lack of a Columbus-like member that helps account for the low point total of their champion. Their worst member won 10 divisional games, ours only 5 .... they are in a divisional dogfight every year, we get Columbus 6 times.

Bottom line ... they won their division, we didn't win ours.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 11:19 AM
Predatorbill

vCash: 50
I expect us to play opposite of the Pens/Flyers series

Predatorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 11:25 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

The 4/5 match ups once again do not disappoint

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 11:31 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
The 4/5 match ups once again do not disappoint
I don't see any match ups that disappoint. The only one that looks lopsided based on regular season meetings is the Blues/Sharks, but, it's the Sharks in the playoffs.

Old
04-08-2012, 11:57 AM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
I'm thinking NBC Sports will want us to play Wednesday/Friday/Sunday/Tuesday in games 1-4 in order to have in Detroit in Friday night and Sunday afternoon games.
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
did the nhl adopt a 1-2-1-1-1-1 format?
Detroit in games played on Friday and Sunday. in Nashville on Friday, Detroit on Sunday. I guess I said 'in' twice on accident.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 12:11 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Wed 11 Apr 7pm CDT
Fri 13 Apr 6:30pm CDT
Sun 15 Apr 11am CDT
Tue 17 Apr 6:30pm CDT

Old
04-08-2012, 12:18 PM
INDhockeyfan

Preds play on CNBC and get the early NBC game on Sunday.

INDhockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 12:19 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDhockeyfan View Post
Preds play on CNBC and get the early NBC game on Sunday.
and NBCSports on Tuesday.