HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

G John Gibson (2011, 39th overall, Anaheim)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-19-2011, 05:17 PM
  #26
brtriad
Registered User
 
brtriad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Loop
Country: United States
Posts: 13,004
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to brtriad
Is this the American or the Finn?

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 05:21 PM
  #27
wej20
Registered User
 
wej20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Swansea,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 21,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brtriad View Post
Is this the American or the Finn?
American, the Finn is Chris Gibson.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 06:14 PM
  #28
HabsFanFromOntario
Registered User
 
HabsFanFromOntario's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 991
vCash: 500
Gibson reminds me of Scott Dickie but I think he'll pan out

HabsFanFromOntario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 07:10 AM
  #29
Ward Cornell
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,241
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsFanFromOntario View Post
Gibson reminds me of Scott Dickie but I think he'll pan out
But Dickie may be a better Rogers TV guy than Gibson!

Ward Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 08:44 AM
  #30
CharlieGirl
Registered User
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,836
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
Fever, not much more to say than what Benched Guy just said. But for my 2 cents, he is the best goalie we have had in Kitchener in a long time. His positioning and calmness are very reminiscent of Carey Price. In fact, he is reminiscent of him in every regard. Even when he struggles, it just seems to be a loss of focus/confidence.

But he makes tough saves look easy and is exactly the stabilizing force you need behind a young team. Now with the AHL/NHL returnees on D, Kitchener's back-end/goaltending is as strong as there is in the league, so you never know.
Agreed. He's made some saves he had no business making, which is where the athleticism comes in, but simply doesn't get flustered, regardless of how many players/sticks/skates are in his crease. The calmness and confidence are outstanding.

The easiest way to say it is that I'm not holding my breath when an opposing team is entering the zone.

He's adapted very well to the league thus far, and with Kitchener's defense getting a shot in the arm with a few returnees, that shouldn't change.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 05:35 PM
  #31
KeeperOfTheCage
Registered User
 
KeeperOfTheCage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46
vCash: 500
John Gibson

Hi guys,
My first thread ever here after registering (friend of mine showed me the site) and I just wanted to say I'm really loving the discussions on prospects. I like to follow prospects pretty closely before and after they're drafted and it'll be nice talking to people in the same boat.
My favorite team, the Anaheim Ducks, signed the American John Gibson, currently playing for the Kitchener Rangers in the OHL because he passed on playing in the States. I just wanted to know what everyone though about his combination of size and athleticism and what others realistically see from him in a few years. I know his attitude isn't always the best, but there's no denying his talent!
Cheers!

KeeperOfTheCage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 08:37 AM
  #32
Tim Wallach
Registered User
 
Tim Wallach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,288
vCash: 500
Brilliant, brilliant goaltender. Best I've seen in Kitchener in at least two decades. Very calm, excellent positioning and rebound control. Very quick reflexes and a glove that comes out of nowhere.

I have seen a lot of good junior goalies whom I didn't feel would transition to pros that well. Gibson will for sure. He reminds me a lot of Carey Price in his efficiency of movement and calmness.

And we have seen NO flashes of attitude in Kitchener. You have a good one.

Tim Wallach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 10:25 AM
  #33
Kulemon
Registered User
 
Kulemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,326
vCash: 500
He's been excellent and he should be a good one. About the attitude thing, I can't really Think of anything bad about it. Atleast he hasn't done or said anything here in Kitchener that I can remember. He seems like a good kid.

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 11:47 AM
  #34
Leehh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Austria
Country: Canada
Posts: 496
vCash: 500
First when i hear about the two gibsons in last years draft i thought they were twins or something( before i did some recearching ), funny how they both got drafted to sunny cali.

I hope he will be a starter for ducks in ~5 years or so, he has all the tools to be one helluva goalie.

Leehh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 01:10 PM
  #35
DuckJet
#KESBAE
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 36,257
vCash: 69
Very happy with Gibson.

Burke really rewarded us with that trade.

Biggs<Gibson, Rakell

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 03:44 PM
  #36
KeeperOfTheCage
Registered User
 
KeeperOfTheCage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46
vCash: 500
Thanks for the replies guys.
The attitude thing, I read somewhere he was sort of like Jack Campbell from the Windsor Spitfires, kinda cocky, but I haven't actually seen for myself so I can't really say.
I've been really impressed with his dedication (IMO, it takes a lot of it to leave the States for the OHL) but it has paid its dividends. This kid seems like a monster in the cage and I can't wait to see him!

KeeperOfTheCage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 05:47 AM
  #37
Markus078
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Austria
Posts: 904
vCash: 500
2011-12 Regular Season
Games: 32
Wins: 21
SO: 1
Shots:87
GAA 2.75
SV %: 0.928

2012 Playoffs
Games: 5
Wins: 5
SO: 1
GAA 1.99
SV %: 0.953

Great numbers by Gibson. The Ducks have a potential star in him!

Markus078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 10:42 AM
  #38
Kulemon
Registered User
 
Kulemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,326
vCash: 500
Kids a stud.

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 12:11 PM
  #39
DuckJet
#KESBAE
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 36,257
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus078 View Post
2011-12 Regular Season
Games: 32
Wins: 21
SO: 1
Shots:87
GAA 2.75
SV %: 0.928

2012 Playoffs
Games: 5
Wins: 5
SO: 1
GAA 1.99
SV %: 0.953

Great numbers by Gibson. The Ducks have a potential star in him!
WUT. I remember one of the games I checked the boxscore on he got scored on 4 times and got pulled.

Well...the internets lied to me. Congrats JG! That trade down looks a lot better every day

Gibson+Rakell (who was a ppg in the OHL) >Phillips/Puempel/Jenner

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 01:27 AM
  #40
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick
 
KEEROLE Vatanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 16,728
vCash: 500
It's hard to find great goaltenders, I am happy he went to Kitchener instead of the NCAA.....I don't think the NCAA is a great league for developing goalies, he made a good decision, and after next year can jump into the AHL....

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 10:24 AM
  #41
Tim Wallach
Registered User
 
Tim Wallach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,288
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
WUT. I remember one of the games I checked the boxscore on he got scored on 4 times and got pulled.

Well...the internets lied to me. Congrats JG! That trade down looks a lot better every day

Gibson+Rakell (who was a ppg in the OHL) >Phillips/Puempel/Jenner

No, that was true actually. One of the only games I've seen him not look sharp. It wasn't totally his fault, but some point shots were finding holes and with Kitchener down 4-2, he got yanked. They came back to tie it and lost in OT, so back-up Frankie Palazeese got the loss, preserving Gibby's perfect record.

Aside from that game, he has been lights-out. And his numbers are even more impressive when you consider that game is included.

Tim Wallach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 10:55 AM
  #42
Ward Cornell
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,241
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
No, that was true actually. One of the only games I've seen him not look sharp. It wasn't totally his fault, but some point shots were finding holes and with Kitchener down 4-2, he got yanked. They came back to tie it and lost in OT, so back-up Frankie Palazeese got the loss, preserving Gibby's perfect record.

Aside from that game, he has been lights-out. And his numbers are even more impressive when you consider that game is included.
IMHO...he was pulled in that game to shake the team out of their doldrums than anything else.
Gibson's sub-par play that game would be another goalies "nice" game!
Like you said, since being pulled he has been totally lights out great!! (love the bounce back)

Ward Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 06:04 PM
  #43
DuckJet
#KESBAE
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 36,257
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
IMHO...he was pulled in that game to shake the team out of their doldrums than anything else.
Gibson's sub-par play that game would be another goalies "nice" game!
Like you said, since being pulled he has been totally lights out great!! (love the bounce back)
So what do you guys think. One more year till he's ready? Or...for that matter, just cause I'm multi-taking right now, is he AHL eligible?

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 06:20 PM
  #44
bruinsfan46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
So what do you guys think. One more year till he's ready? Or...for that matter, just cause I'm multi-taking right now, is he AHL eligible?
He is AHL eligible next year because he wasn't drafted out of the CHL.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 06:22 PM
  #45
bumperkisser
Registered User
 
bumperkisser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,782
vCash: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
He is AHL eligible next year because he wasn't drafted out of the CHL.
dang our pipeline is FULL..
ellis is obviously being let go this year.. im assuming JDD is backing up hillsy next year and then what
is tarkki UFA this year?
and did we sign victor fasth already?

then we've got bobkov/gibson

bumperkisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 06:36 PM
  #46
DuckJet
#KESBAE
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 36,257
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumperkisser View Post
dang our pipeline is FULL..
ellis is obviously being let go this year.. im assuming JDD is backing up hillsy next year and then what
is tarkki UFA this year?
and did we sign victor fasth already?

then we've got bobkov/gibson
We're probably going to trade Ellis. Just a gut feeling. Or they'll leave Gibson in the juniors for one more year. Fasth is signed to a verbal agreement. The contract will be inked when his season is over. JDD is probably heading back to the AHL. Boudreau was terrified of playing him. Hiller didn't play 73 games (most in the NHL) because BB had all the faith in the world in him.

I could see Hiller/Fasth, Tarkki/Gibson also. Tarkki and Gibson could split time. One thing is for sure, we're considerably better in net than when it was Hiller/McIlhenney+poo.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 07:05 PM
  #47
ericnut
Registered User
 
ericnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Newport Beach
Country: United States
Posts: 5,545
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumperkisser View Post
dang our pipeline is FULL..
ellis is obviously being let go this year.. im assuming JDD is backing up hillsy next year and then what
is tarkki UFA this year?
and did we sign victor fasth already?

then we've got bobkov/gibson
Fasth will backup Hiller.
JDD will likely be bought out, or kept in the AHL.
Tarkki is gone.
Bobkov will be in the AHL.
Gibson will likely stay in juniors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
We're probably going to trade Ellis. Just a gut feeling. Or they'll leave Gibson in the juniors for one more year. Fasth is signed to a verbal agreement. The contract will be inked when his season is over. JDD is probably heading back to the AHL. Boudreau was terrified of playing him. Hiller didn't play 73 games (most in the NHL) because BB had all the faith in the world in him.

I could see Hiller/Fasth, Tarkki/Gibson also. Tarkki and Gibson could split time. One thing is for sure, we're considerably better in net than when it was Hiller/McIlhenney+poo.
I didn't know you could trade a UFA.

ericnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 07:59 PM
  #48
DuckJet
#KESBAE
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 36,257
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnut View Post
Fasth will backup Hiller.
JDD will likely be bought out, or kept in the AHL.
Tarkki is gone.
Bobkov will be in the AHL.
Gibson will likely stay in juniors.



I didn't know you could trade a UFA.
Ouch. I'm an idiot.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 08:31 PM
  #49
sigx15
Registered User
 
sigx15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
It's hard to find great goaltenders, I am happy he went to Kitchener instead of the NCAA.....I don't think the NCAA is a great league for developing goalies, he made a good decision, and after next year can jump into the AHL....
I usually don't like doing this but I find this statement to be pretty ridiculous. Have you taken a look around the NHL lately. NCAA goaltenders... Tim Thomas, Ryan Miller, Brian Elliott, Jonathan Quick, Cory Schneider, Jimmy Howard, Scott Clemmenson and probably a few other pretty viable NHL goaltenders all who went the NCAA route. Not saying its the best one, but I think your statement is a bit over the top.

sigx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 09:39 PM
  #50
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick
 
KEEROLE Vatanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 16,728
vCash: 500
Gibson should spend another year in the OHL, NO reason at ALL to rush him, in the AHL you're looking at splitting time. Let this kid hone his craft, play alot of games, and play as team USA's no.1 goalie at the WJC's next year. it definitely will not hurt him to remain in Kitchener

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:06 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.