HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Why I'm NOT going to Saturdays game

Closed Thread

Old
03-02-2006, 09:19 AM
Bones45

vCash: 500
Why I'm NOT going to Saturdays game

This is pretty depressing.

I have a full season plan which I split with 3 other parties, so I go to about 12 games a year + playoffs. Obviously, back in September, when we picked the games, I didn't know about the 1980 reunion. I don't have ticekts to the game. Of course, I could have purchased them seperately.

I have been to other celebratory games of older players and they are pretty nice---but fairly similar. My highlight with some of the older players was back in the Toronto playoff series. I was in Champions in a circle and having a beer, talking hockey with Smitty, Gillies, and Tommy Jonsson. Wow. I didnt say much...just enjoyed the moment.

I have a party to go to Sat afternoon and evening but I'm not too upset about missing this. Ill record it. While the parade of players and the Cup from the Marriott to the Coliseum seems a little corny, I'm sure it will be a sight to see and I would probably enjoy it if I was there.

I'm assuming the ceremony is going to have video highlights, a ton of players on the red carpet on the ice, and some speakers and maybe some gifts. Who knows. And yeah..I would probably like that too.

The worst part, and the part which is keeping me away..is the fact that I would have to watch the current Islanders play Philly. You are going to go from memories of fantastic players and plays and success. Teamwork, extra effort, heart, dedication. Suceed as a team and fail as a team. Enter some more cliches here. But there are all true. For those of us who were able to see and remember the teams back in the day-- you know exactly what Im talking about.

And now..after all this nostalgia of the Potvin, Trotts, Bossy, Tonelli, Nystrom days.. we are going to todays team, which frankly...has none of that.

Hey..maybe Im wrong.. Maybe todays Isles will be insipired and play great ( for 60 minutes) and win the game. It would make for a great night. I hope that is the case.

But to go from incredible highs of yesterdays team and then be subjected to watch todays Islanders... and PAY for this (LOL), I just can't do it.

Old
03-02-2006, 09:33 AM
tool123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones45

The worst part, and the part which is keeping me away..is the fact that I would have to watch the current Islanders play Philly. You are going to go from memories of fantastic players and plays and success. Teamwork, extra effort, heart, dedication. Suceed as a team and fail as a team. Enter some more cliches here. But there are all true. For those of us who were able to see and remember the teams back in the day-- you know exactly what Im talking about.

I dont blame you... This team is the worst I have ever seen in terms of playing style, sense, and work ethic. Also, I cant believe this team is only 3 games under .500. I never felt confident about this team all year! Even there wins were disappointing. I have to give it up to Bugigross....he was right No excitement to this team. Just Blah!

Old
03-02-2006, 09:49 AM
cjdv16

well said....

Unfortunate circumstances.

But hey, like Arbour night a few years ago, it could turn out to be a great evening in a similar setting. Honoring a great man with a garbage team as the current on-ice product.

If you remember that night, after the nice ceremony, we were well on our way to another 2-1 loss to the blackhawks until 2 goals in the final 10 minutes by Berard and Derek Armstrong brought a sold out colisseum to a 3-2 win.

It was a great night. (also because i was able to give tony amonte's cousin a mouthful as she sat next to me in the cheap seats. she had earlier busted my ear drum after amonte scored to give the hawks the lead).

Old
03-02-2006, 10:07 AM
Killer Carlson

You know, you don't HAVE to stay for the actual game!

Old
03-02-2006, 10:50 AM
7:11 of OT
Call my Monkey Butch

Here is my prediction for the night. After the ceremony, Wang comes out on the ice to introduce Torrey as the GM and Arbour as the new coach, effective immediately Oh wait, my medication is wearing off, its still Milbury and Shaw, quick - more pills, more pills!!!!

Really though, how nice would it be to see Wang introduce Brent Sutter as the new GM after the ceremony. As his first act, he announces ________ Sutter as the new coach (hell - I'd even take a Sutter sister at this point), and while Shaw walks of the ice, Wang announces he gets a nice parting gift - he gets to take Yashin with him!!!!

I'll be at the ceremony and game though, if my meds don't make me forget to go.

Old
03-02-2006, 10:52 AM
Capt Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool123
I dont blame you... This team is the worst I have ever seen in terms of playing style, sense, and work ethic. Also, I cant believe this team is only 3 games under .500.
If it makes you feel better, we have four "overtime losses," so we really are closer to 7 games under .500 because none of them were shoot-out losses IIRC.

Old
03-02-2006, 10:53 AM
tool123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C.
If it makes you feel better, we have four "overtime losses," so we really are closer to 7 games under .500 because none of them were shoot-out losses IIRC.

Old
03-02-2006, 11:45 AM
Islanders4Life*

Bandwagon fans, sadly there are ALOT of them as many fans hopped on during the glory years and refuse to settle for anything less then Excellence

Old
03-02-2006, 12:03 PM
Capt Reynolds

I don't think you can call ANYONE on this board a bandwagon fan, as we are all following the team avidly when they totally suck dog ****. A bandwagon fan would NOT be following them now. You are not a bandwagon fan simply because you are not happy with your team in any given year -- and bandwagon fan follows a team only when the team is winning, a real fan follows them all the time even if he's not always happy with them.

Old
03-02-2006, 12:09 PM
Bones45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanders4Life
Bandwagon fans, sadly there are ALOT of them as many fans hopped on during the glory years and refuse to settle for anything less then Excellence

Yeah...b/c a bandwagon fan stays with a struggling team for 15+ years.

Old
03-02-2006, 12:28 PM
blitzkriegs

It's 25 years ago. Different era, lifestyle, world, athletes, markets, etc. Beyond good old hard work and 60 minute dedication, I think it is a stretch to continually make comparisons to teams of 1/4 century removed...

Be thankful NYI had such a team and if you were around for it, be thankful you saw such special moments. Absent that, NYI are just in a very, very, very long hangover...However, it was one heck of a party.

Old
03-02-2006, 12:39 PM
Islanders4Life*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones45
Yeah...b/c a bandwagon fan stays with a struggling team for 15+ years.

Where you really with this team? I have read some of your other posts and personally fans like you sicken me, I bet you are the type of fan who was chanting re-fund and mocking Dipietro during Game 3 of Tampa Series last season and the type of fan who was booing a 5 on 3 PP earlier this year when the Islanders didnt score in a game they were winning by 3 goals

All you do is bad mouth this team, I bet you hopped on during the early 80's took off in late 80's dissapeared until 2001 (except for 93) and are now in the stages of jumping ship once again until this team is back in the playoffs

And what do you mean stuck with this team for 15 years, you are admitting losing interest and not wanting to see this team now that they are losing

Old
03-02-2006, 01:53 PM
Islanders4Life*

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs
It's 25 years ago. Different era, lifestyle, world, athletes, markets, etc. Beyond good old hard work and 60 minute dedication, I think it is a stretch to continually make comparisons to teams of 1/4 century removed...

Be thankful NYI had such a team and if you were around for it, be thankful you saw such special moments. Absent that, NYI are just in a very, vry, very long hangover...However, it was one heck of a party.

it is one of those good news bad news things, the good news is the Islanders had perhaps one of the greatest sports dynastys of all time, the bad news is it happened to early into there inception that many fans became fans during that period and were spoiled and really wont stand for anything less

Old
03-02-2006, 04:11 PM
NYIsles1*

I CANNOT WAIT to go and thank those players and the people associated with that club for all the incredible moments they gave me and nothing could keep from being a part of this.

I saw the greatest professional sports team I will ever see in my lifetime, a team and a group of people who had a character about them as a club that went about playing like it was special to them and meant everything for them to be a New York Islander. Those kinds of teams are gone forever in professional sports, it's rare to find many individuals who can even display that kind of heart and character anymore. We had a entire team of heart that learned to win as a team and beat a club any way they wanted to play it. From Morrow to Carroll, everyone stepped up and did something special.

Back in 1980 the Islanders lost two straight to Buffalo to make the semi-finals 3-2, the Sabre fans gave their team a long, loud ovation before game five. Islander fans decided to our team longest, loudest ovation in club history for game six and outdo the Sabres. With each subsequent game they decided they would outdo any opposing club as it would go on for several minutes before each game and keep building.

I'm proud to be a fan of this club win, lose or draw, good times and bad times and I always will be and I want to say I was here for all times when they win again.

I could care less about the Flyer game beyond seeing a hockey game and hoping for the best result, however for an hour those people deserve my thanks, acknowledgement and attendance for all of thieir accomplishments and all the great memories they gave us, regardless of what I think of 05-06. It's disappointing some cannot do likewise.

If you cannot put aside your dislike of the current club for yourself, do it for those people coming back to be honored, they sure earned it.

For the younger crowd, take a good look at how special it is to win here and how great it can be again, you got a only a cameo against Toronto in the three home games.

Hopefully some of you can still find something special about being a fan of this team that you can carry forward when they finally do turn it around, otherwise why bother being a fan at all?

Closed Thread