Closed Thread

Old
04-07-2012, 10:38 AM
Professor John Frink

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Professor John Frink
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus078 View Post

Honestly the prospects and the drafting is the biggest credit I give to BM - he created a scouting team around Madden that does a tremendous work!
This is the only reason I would regret it if Murray was fired. I'd be afraid a new GM would bring in "his" guys to scout. Major credit should go to this scouting staff. The future certainly looks bright. So much so I find myself not being as intently focused on the draft anymore as I have faith whomever we choose is the right choice.

Old
04-07-2012, 02:36 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus078 View Post
while facing over 36 shots on average per game. The workload is high very well done.

Honestly the prospects and the drafting is the biggest credit I give to BM - he created a scouting team around Madden that does a tremendous work!
Madden was brought in well before Burke left, Murray wasn't in charge at the time.

Old
04-07-2012, 04:02 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
Madden was brought in well before Burke left, Murray wasn't in charge at the time.
i think you can pinpoint the change in drafting with the Rick Patterson hire...without the bobby ryan pick 04 to 07 was dreadful.

i remember the logan macmillan pick...i dont know one person that liked it. picks like swan and macmillan show the ducks were not doing their homework on guys

while we dont know how these players will pan out its good that Etem, palmieri, schultz, vatanen, holland, wagner, gibson are developing well to date

Old
04-07-2012, 04:44 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
i think you can pinpoint the change in drafting with the Rick Patterson hire...without the bobby ryan pick 04 to 07 was dreadful.

i remember the logan macmillan pick...i dont know one person that liked it. picks like swan and macmillan show the ducks were not doing their homework on guys

while we dont know how these players will pan out its good that Etem, palmieri, schultz, vatanen, holland, wagner, gibson are developing well to date
Who was head of scouting during that period? I thought the Smid pick in '04 was a pretty good one considering they could have picked Thelen who was expected to go around then. But yeah other than that the '04 draft was all bad as well.

Old
04-07-2012, 06:46 PM
Hockey Duckie

Quote:

Don't forget Jake Gardiner was drafted by the Ducks too.

Old
04-07-2012, 06:52 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Awesome, Jake Gardiner. For whom they passed on Myers, Karlsson, Sbisa, Eberle, and Carlson to take. Del Zotto as well, although I don't really believe in him.

Old
04-07-2012, 06:57 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
Awesome, Jake Gardiner. For whom they passed on Myers, Karlsson, Sbisa, Eberle, and Carlson to take. Del Zotto as well, although I don't really believe in him.
You can say that about any pick though. There will almost always be a better player taken after your pick. There are just as many worse players picked around there too, we could have had Boychuk, Teubert or Gustafsson. At least we didn't use the #5 pick to take Filatov lol.

And Sbisa doesn't really belong with those other guys IMO. Gardiner is a better defenseman than him at the moment and likely will be in the future too.

Also, at least 16 teams can say in hindsight that they should have picked Eberle. Everyone but LA, TB, Ottawa, Stl. Louis and maybe Buffalo.

Old
04-07-2012, 07:09 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Wrong thread.

Nothing pithy to add.

Old
04-07-2012, 10:09 PM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
You can say that about any pick though. There will almost always be a better player taken after your pick. There are just as many worse players picked around there too, we could have had Boychuk, Teubert or Gustafsson. At least we didn't use the #5 pick to take Filatov lol.

And Sbisa doesn't really belong with those other guys IMO. Gardiner is a better defenseman than him at the moment and likely will be in the future too.

Also, at least 16 teams can say in hindsight that they should have picked Eberle. Everyone but LA, TB, Ottawa, Stl. Louis and maybe Buffalo.
Gardiner is not a better defenseman than Sbisa is right now. In the future, definitely a possibility, though Sbisa will always be the more physical player. This is coming from a huge Gardiner proponent btw.

Old
04-08-2012, 01:01 AM
Unholy

Well glad to see Gibson playing really well right now. His team plays a solid defensive game but he still has to do his part and he is doing great.

Traded down and took Rakell, while grabbing Gibson with that second and also taking Karlsson with our own second. Great stuff.

04-08-2012, 01:11 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
Gardiner looks good though...trading him will haunt us, especially if Schultz bolts.
But Gardiner is not close to Sbisa, that is actually very insulting.

Old
04-08-2012, 01:34 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Not -close- to him? Now you're just being hyperbolic. Sbisa might be better in the defensive zone, but Gardiner is a better puck mover and a more dangerous player offensively. It is absolutely close.

Old
04-08-2012, 02:12 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Not -close- to him? Now you're just being hyperbolic. Sbisa might be better in the defensive zone, but Gardiner is a better puck mover and a more dangerous player offensively. It is absolutely close.
Gardiner is not good defensively and has been afforded opportunities, that Sbisa has never gotten. If Gardiner hits someone, that will be the first time that ever happens

Old
04-08-2012, 02:28 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Gardiner is not good defensively and has been afforded opportunities, that Sbisa has never gotten. If Gardiner hits someone, that will be the first time that ever happens
That works both ways. It also means Sbisa is playing more sheltered minutes, and able to play at a more comfortable pace. Toronto is asking more from Gardiner. That still doesn't mean Gardiner isn't close to Sbisa, which just isn't true. Sbisa was a solid top 4 defenseman this season. So was Gardiner. Gardiner is better in some areas, and Sbisa in others.

Old
04-08-2012, 12:58 PM
bumperkisser

vCash: 70
Quote:
That works both ways. It also means Sbisa is playing more sheltered minutes, and able to play at a more comfortable pace. Toronto is asking more from Gardiner. That still doesn't mean Gardiner isn't close to Sbisa, which just isn't true. Sbisa was a solid top 4 defenseman this season. So was Gardiner. Gardiner is better in some areas, and Sbisa in others.
sbisa is playing sheltered minutes? he plays on our PK and is our 2nd pairing.. how is that sheltered minutes? he usually plays around ~20 minutes a night

Old
04-08-2012, 02:48 PM
Hockey Duckie

Quote:
I think it was mentioned earlier in this thread that Gardiner will be better, meaning the future. Gardiner and Sbisa aren't exactly the same type of defenseman. That being said, Garndiner is still become more accostomed to the NHL game whereas Sbisa has been in the League longer, thus has more experience. This season Sbisa has grown into a top 4 defenseman instead of being inconsistent as in previous years. Gardiner was able to learn defense from a college known for playing defense, Wisconsin U. Gardiner has been inconsistent from the span I watched him. But still very impressive performance in the League and having to be thrust into the limelight.

I liked the Gardiner pick. In fact, I like the fact that Shultz and Gardiner may grow into a tandem together for the Ducks in the years to come. Things didn't pan out that way. But as of today, I would pick Sbisa over Gardiner without having doubts. Ask me the same question next season, then it may change depending on Gardiner. If anything, I wished we still had Gardiner in our pipeline.

Old
04-08-2012, 07:05 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumperkisser View Post
sbisa is playing sheltered minutes? he plays on our PK and is our 2nd pairing.. how is that sheltered minutes? he usually plays around ~20 minutes a night
Looking at quality of competition, yeah. Compared to the other D pairings, Sbisa is playing sheltered minutes. At even strength, the Sbisa/Lubo pairing get more offensive zone starts than either of the other two D pairings. He's able to play at a more comfortable level for him, where he isn't expected to sink or swim. Sbisa can make mistakes and not worry about them ending up on the scoreboard.

Yes, he's playing on the PK, but we're talking about a minute and a half per game. That's 4th amongst our D, and considerably less than Lydman and Beauchemin(Beauchemin plays more than 4 minutes, and Lydman more than 3).

That being said, Gardiner is getting sheltered minutes defensively too. His increased responsibilities come more on the offensive side of the game, which shouldn't be surprising because of the two Gardiner just brings more offensively. He has a better shot, moves the puck better, and is more creative with the puck. He's also a world class skater, which allows him to do more. Sometimes that works against him, because he can be overly fancy with his skating. Anyway, there's a reason Beauchemin(not exactly a stud offensively) is given a bit more responsibility offensively than Sbisa.

Sbisa is the better, and more stable, defensive player. He's the more physical of the two. Gardiner is the better, and certainly more dynamic, offensive player. Jake still gets a little lost at times in the defensive zone. Like Duckie said, they are different types of defensemen. Still, I don't see how anyone could say Gardiner isn't even close to Sbisa. Gardiner is the more inconsistent of the two, but he's also the more talented. Not to mention he averaged over 21 minutes the entire season, where as Sbisa was only pushing 20+ minutes the second half of the season. PK time was almost identical too.

I'm fine with saying Sbisa is the better player right now, and I think his consistency and his experience do give him the edge. Not to mention his willingness to engage physically. But Gardiner not even being close to Sbisa, and it's an insult to even suggest that? I can't objectively look at the two and say that. I think it's very close. Close enough that next season it wouldn't surprise me to see Gardiner surpass Sbisa entirely. Whether or not that happens, well, Sbisa will have his say in the matter.

Old
04-10-2012, 08:45 PM
Unholy

Rakell with 3 assists tonight against Gibson and his team.

Gibson was also named 'Vaughn CHL Goaltender of the Week'.

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/a...he-week/120788

Old
04-10-2012, 09:19 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unholy View Post
Rakell with 3 assists tonight against Gibson and his team.

Gibson was also named 'Vaughn CHL Goaltender of the Week'.

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/a...he-week/120788
So the winner of that series goes on to the Western OHL finals, am I right? It's pretty much a win-win, either way we have a prospect gaining valuable experience in the next round.

Old
04-10-2012, 10:36 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Id rather see Gibson win, I want to see if hes got the goods because we need to find our goalie of the future. we are used to great goaltenders in anaheim, the standard is high

Old
04-10-2012, 10:46 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Id rather see Gibson win, I want to see if hes got the goods because we need to find our goalie of the future. we are used to great goaltenders in anaheim, the standard is high
Not to mention we've seen how it can be when the goalies aren't great. It isn't pretty.

Old
04-10-2012, 11:05 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Looks like Etem: out, as far as the WHL playoffs are concerned. Maybe he'll get a look in Syracuse.

Old
04-10-2012, 11:30 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Cat View Post
Looks like Etem: out, as far as the WHL playoffs are concerned. Maybe he'll get a look in Syracuse.
I think they have at least one more game, but they are out barring a miracle. How long was Etem's suspension?

Old
04-10-2012, 11:44 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
I think they have at least one more game, but they are out barring a miracle. How long was Etem's suspension?
Just one game. Played tonight, 0G 0A -3. They lost 4-2, outshot 52-26.

Old
04-11-2012, 12:18 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
Just one game. Played tonight, 0G 0A -3. They lost 4-2, outshot 52-26.
wouldnt mind seeing Etem on the Crunch

Closed Thread