Dalllas visits Nashville tonight - hate to root for the preds but if they win tonight LA is in.
SJ goes to LA in a very big game for position-LA wins they clinch a spot and will be back in command of the Pacific (and I think they hold the tiebreaker over Phoenix). If LA loses things will remain murky.
Ottawa Senators... I very like this team from Anton Volchenkov times there and I liked him before I knew Blue Jackets and when I thought who will be my favourite team in 2007 y. I decided before these two teams (CBJ and OS). Columbus is winner but Sens are my the second favourite team a long time.
The Jackets have the pick either this year or next. The perfect storm is still developing. It needs SJ to win tomorrow night against the Kings and Phoenix to win one of its last two - St. Louis or Minnesota. let's go Sharks and Yotes.
Yotes drub the Blues 4-1-move into 1st in the Pacific. If SJ can win at home tomorrow LA finishes 8th. Go Sharks.
Yes, go Sharks. The problem is that the Kings would end up facing the Canucks and it's tough to find a team to cheer for in that series.
I'll be at the Jackets/Isles tomorrow. An added bonus of winning (albeit very small bonus) is that the Islanders would for sure end up 27th with a loss. They could move as high as 24th with a win. We have their 4th round pick (obtained from Vancouver) in the trade for Pahlsson, so it could help in bumping that pick up a couple of spots. Regardless, go Jackets!
Nashville. Weber, Radulov and my 2 countrymen are there. Plus that's always a pleasure when Detroit loses. And Nashville is a much nicer city than depressive Detroit.
Chicago. My friends who live in the US are all cheering for the Hawks. So I just wanna be a good friend.
I dislike LA and San Jose a bit less than St.Louis and Cunucks. But cause of the draft position I hope the Divers will beat the Kings.
On the East I hope Ottawa upsets the Rags for many reasons. They won 4-games season series 3-1 so who is the favorite is not so obvious . Don't really care about other teams.
Well, moving on from the draft lottery - it's time for the playoffs to start.
Here are the two outcomes that most directly affect the Blue Jackets:
1) Phoenix wins the first round. We then get a 4th round pick next year (instead of 5th round) from the Vermette trade.
2) LA loses in the first 2 rounds. We get the choice of taking a first round pick that is at worst #17.
Here are a few scenarios that could help us move up a few slots:
1) Ottawa is a bit of a weird case. If they make the conference finals, our 2nd round pick from them suffers (moves back), but our LA first round pick would move up to #16. I guess it depends on which you think is more valuable (+1 spot in first round versus -10 spots in the 2nd round)
2) Washington makes it to conference finals and LA doesn't. Again, our LA 1st round pick could move up. If both Washington and Ottawa meet in the East conference final, the LA pick could move to #15.
3) New Jersey does well enough that they decide to forfeit their first round pick this year (due to Kovalchuck fiasco; can decide this year or next). Something that is not often mentioned, is that even though Edmonton won the lottery, that only affects the first round. We pick 31, so if New Jersey forfeits, we move up to #30. Technically we could have 3 first round picks.
The teams that could affect us by losing due to upping demand for Nash is all speculation. We don't know who is on Nash's list for sure. Also, there might be an argument made that if demand for Nash goes down, the Jackets decide to keep him and it works out well for us.
With that said, it depends on your perspective, but it may be advantageous that Vancouver, San Jose and New York bounce early from the playoffs.
The Jackets didn't do too bad with the first round outcomes. Lots of prominent teams out early who may be looking to shake up their rosters this summer. Too bad the Sens couldn't finish off the Rangers tonight. But if they go out to the Caps, there could still be some changes on the horizon in the Big Apple.
The most direct results that affected the Jackets:
1) Coyotes are on to 2nd round, so we get their 4th round pick next year (instead of 5th).
2) We have Ottawa's 2nd round pick and that will be no worse than 45 now (could be 44 - see below)
Here's what benefits the Jackets most in the next round:
1) LA loses (everyone know this already). Unless you think the draft is a lot better next year and the Kings are going to implode, it's time to jump on the Blues bandwagon (tough to type that).
2) Washington wins. If this happens and LA loses, the LA first round pick moves up to 16 from 17. Not too shabby
3) New Jersey wins. I would think if they win, they will most likely forfeit their late first round pick this year due to the Kovalchuk mess. Then the Jackets own 2nd round pick moves up to #30.
If all the above happens, the CBJ could have the #2, #16, #30 and #44 picks this year. That's some pretty good bullets to start the rebuild, reshape, recoloring, rerun, etc.
So, I'm cheering for Phoenix, St. Louis, Washington and New Jersey next round.