HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Any other habs fans feel "empty"?

Old
04-08-2012, 07:16 AM
psychonaut

vCash: 500
Hopping my team loose made me feel much more empty then now. The worst was was cheering for the Leafs

psychonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 07:38 AM
Shred

I'm actually feeling quite full, as in I can't take anymore of this, no thanks!

Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 07:39 AM
BLONG7

At 49 yrs old, I don't believe I have ever seen the Habs finish this low in the standings, so it's a weird feeling...Habs fans have my age have been spoiled over the years, so all in all this isn't that bad, what a weird season...hate the fact that the playoffs are about to start and we are not playing....

Going out on a winning note last night was a good feeling no matter what it does to our draft chances...lots of positives about this season also, could be worse guys, just look at the Leafs faithful, boy that crowd has endured some rough times....

Hoping for a Pens and Preds stanley cup final....

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 07:48 AM
Sargent Pepper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyFischer View Post
Not at ALL.

8-7th place just to get knocked out in 4-5 games? meh.

OR

top 3 pick to draft a potential star who will be with us for years?

I choose option #2 and guess what... I ain't even mad.
I got to agree with this. Our problem over the last decade and a half has been that we barely make the playoffs and never get to draft top talent. I was so sick and tired of that. I grew up with Jean Beliveau (latter years), Guy Lafleur, Steve Shutt, Larry Robinson, Ken Dryden, Serge Savard, Guy Lapointe.......we have no such talent on this team and have not had this type of talent since......Patrick Roy. Enough is enough. For all of you praising mediocrity and an 8th place in the playoffs, I say you are used to mediocrity and your standard for success is a last place access to the playoffs. You are probably young and never lived the great years of the habs...

Sargent Pepper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 08:08 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 50
I don't feel empty because I think we have a bright future ahead of ourselfs, but this past season was everything except fun.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 08:13 AM
BobbyFischer*

Honestly, the only thing I'm mad about is the leafs finishing with a 5th pick (so far).

I wanted to see them miss the playoffs by the skin of their teeth and suffer with a mid round pick!

BobbyFischer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 08:19 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenHabz View Post
Exactly, this needed to happen if the team ever desire a future in which we don't just fight for the 8th spot each year with no more motivation than to barely make the playoffs. With a top 5 pick, our chances to draft a future franchise player go way up.

It was also very important that the Habs sucked or else, Gauthier would've stayed.
One unfortunate consequence of the Habs' poor season will be that most of the people who were not happy with certain decisions that were made will unite in their triumphalism - "aha, see we were RIGHT after all!"

This, despite the fact that many of these people did not even agree with each other back when the decisions were made. They all smugly feel now that they were collectively smarter than the professional individuals who were in charge of the Montreal Canadiens, and do not realize that if any ONE of them had been there instead, the results would have been a complete disaster. If Rejean Houle failed because he had no experience, imagine the utter debacle if one of us amateurs, and I include myself in the group, were suddenly in charge.

It's fine to make comments as a fan, and I do it myself. I think people cross the line, though, when I read comments that suggest that the management team were idiots, losers, a joke, and so forth.

It is REAL EASY to criticize after the fact, but every decision these professional managers make is fraught with risk. A couple of years ago, Rene Bourque easily outscored Eric Cole, and is younger to boot. Signing Eric Cole was a risk, like any other move one could make, and it worked out. Many of the people yelling how stupid Gauthier and Gainey are PANNED the Eric Cole signing. That is just one example of many decisions that are made, and the many perspectives one could have on it.

So for now, sure, fans will try to turn the collective joy that a new era will begin into a personal vindication of their awesomeness as an NHL Executive, but the consensus will not last past the first move our next GM will make!

I look forward to seeing what direction the club takes and will enjoy making comments but.......I do not pretend to know more about hockey than these dedicated and professional people do, each and every one of them, including those who win the Cup and those who do not.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 08:26 AM
Help
Help Yourself

Quote:
Honestly, the only thing I'm mad about is the leafs finishing with a 5th pick (so far).

I wanted to see them miss the playoffs by the skin of their teeth and suffer with a mid round pick!
Don't worry, they'll **** it up

Help is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 08:27 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargent Pepper View Post
I got to agree with this. Our problem over the last decade and a half has been that we barely make the playoffs and never get to draft top talent. I was so sick and tired of that. I grew up with Jean Beliveau (latter years), Guy Lafleur, Steve Shutt, Larry Robinson, Ken Dryden, Serge Savard, Guy Lapointe.......we have no such talent on this team and have not had this type of talent since......Patrick Roy. Enough is enough. For all of you praising mediocrity and an 8th place in the playoffs, I say you are used to mediocrity and your standard for success is a last place access to the playoffs. You are probably young and never lived the great years of the habs...
Beliveau (pre-draft period) aside, only one out of all of those players was picked in the top 3 of the draft. Perhaps the greatest defenceman of all time was a second round pick. Roy and Dryden were not high picks either.

You cannot win the Cup if you are not in the playoffs. Ask the New York Islanders, Atlanta Thrashers, Edmonton Oilers, Florida Panthers and the other perennial losers of late.

Yes, we had a bad year, yes it is normal that management is changed when that happens, but these same individuals were in charge when within a three-year period, the Habs won a Conference Championship and got to the Stanley Cup semi-finals in two different years. They have also made the playoffs 6 of the past 8 years, which, believe it or not, is significantly above the league average, which would be 4.27.

And to all of you who belittle finishing in the playoffs and getting knocked out in the first or second round, well 26 teams out of 30 do not win two playoff rounds each and every year!

You gotta be in the game if you want to win. By all means let's have better drafting and better development, but this franchise was not built on tanking, it was built on a winning tradition and I hope Geoff Molson succeeds in re-implanting one soon.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 08:30 AM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

vCash: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchBrawl View Post
There's no Thornton this time around.
Thornton wasn't an impact player the second he came into the league anyway, meaning that drafting Thornton wasn't the reason they made the playoffs.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 08:33 AM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

i'm relieved.
But i kinda lost interest after the trade deadline

I knew this season was lost a long time ago so i looked for through the year after martin got fired was Gauthier and Gainey getting the boot and what we would do before the deadline.

Once the deadline passed it was a bit of a let down, but it made up for it when Goat and gainey got le boot. So to me moving forward everthing is positive.

Kingbobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 08:47 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Feel empty? Absolutely. Making it to the playoffs is what it's all about because from there who knows what can happen. 2009 - 2010 was a lot of fun. Last year the Habs took the champs to a seventh game OT.

This season has sucked. I'm glad Gauthier is gone but the biggest error he made was relying on Markov and not figuring out what worked without him. The team wasn't that bad and needed that one move. Because of that Gauthier ended up making a bunch of reactionary type moves out of desperation.

Blah..........yes, I wish the Habs were in the playoffs. No doubt about it. The Markov effect has been so impactful on this team that I bet a few other teams learned from the Habs' experience.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 08:58 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Definitely disappointed about no playoffs. There was always a glimmer of hope.

That said, I lost interest in this season somewhere shortly after it began. Something seemed off. Gauthier lost control of the ship, he had done a decent job the season before and where he went wrong was thinking Markov would be ready at or near training camp. The train came off the tracks at about this point, Gorges-Subban proved to be a solid 1st pairing, the issue become the depth behind them. ATROCIOUS is the only way I can possibly begin to explain it.

With all that being said, I've never been this excited for our future. Top 4 pick coming in, with the suspense of the lottery and who we are going to take? Obviously if we win the lottery, you will see Nail Yakupov(duh). But if we draft at #3-4, do we take one of Grigs-Gally-Forsberg? Do we take a D-man? The suspense is killing me.

Wesaw Price continue his development, he had a solid year despite the team infront of him. We saw Subban cement himself as a Top-pairing defenseman over the year, he really settled down and learnt to pick his spots better. He's only going to keep getting better. Pacioretty and Desharnais have emerged as go-to offensive weapons, and Cole was a great signing (something I thought from Day 1).

There is a lot of positives to take from the year if you know where to look and have a little patience. I for one am a glass half-full type guy when it comes to this team, and I know we will be back very soon and even better than before.

This board is going to be a riot during the lottery ceremony and on draft day. I have those days marked on my calender, it's gonna be a blast discussing and arguing different topics with you guys.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 09:03 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
Feel empty? Absolutely. Making it to the playoffs is what it's all about because from there who knows what can happen. 2009 - 2010 was a lot of fun. Last year the Habs took the champs to a seventh game OT.

This season has sucked. I'm glad Gauthier is gone but the biggest error he made was relying on Markov and not figuring out what worked without him. The team wasn't that bad and needed that one move. Because of that Gauthier ended up making a bunch of reactionary type moves out of desperation.

Blah..........yes, I wish the Habs were in the playoffs. No doubt about it. The Markov effect has been so impactful on this team that I bet a few other teams learned from the Habs' experience.
Extremely accurate.

Lack of defensive depth behind Gorges and Subban are the sole reason our season has been as disastrous as it has been. Imagine had we brought back Hamrlik for 2 years on the cheap, somehow manage to get Wiz to sign a bit cheaper than he did, and still managed to re-sign Markov? Let's face it. All the team had to do was bury Gomez. Burke would have done it. Sather would have done it.

Say what you will, but had we brought back those two on D we would have had the depth required to compete for the playoffs, especially considering Wisniewski alone with Subban on the PP would have vaulted us back into the Top5-10 PPs in the league.

BUT. What's done is done, and today we have a chance to draft ourselves are true difference maker for the next 10-15 years. Very exciting, and I'm pretty happy that it actually fell this way.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 09:04 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
Extremely accurate.

Lack of defensive depth behind Gorges and Subban are the sole reason our season has been as disastrous as it has been. Imagine had we brought back Hamrlik for 2 years on the cheap, somehow manage to get Wiz to sign a bit cheaper than he did, and still managed to re-sign Markov? Let's face it. All the team had to do was bury Gomez. Burke would have done it. Sather would have done it.

Say what you will, but had we brought back those two on D we would have had the depth required to compete for the playoffs, especially considering Wisniewski alone with Subban on the PP would have vaulted us back into the Top5-10 PPs in the league.

BUT. What's done is done, and today we have a chance to draft ourselves are true difference maker for the next 10-15 years. Very exciting, and I'm pretty happy that it actually fell this way.
Gomez will get buried this upcoming season...Molson has no choice...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 09:14 AM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by beh3moth View Post
Well, the regular season is over and that's it for our Habs. Looking at the playoff boards re-instated and not having the optimism for the cup and competition of playoff hockey is absolutely terrible. As much as Montreal needs a #1 C and how the majority bandwagoned for tanking, this sucks. I'd take the 8th seed over 1st overall any day of the week, call me a sucker.
I did not watch a lot of games lately because of the interference caused by the lure of a top3 pick – Once it became obvious that playoffs were out of reach, each goal by "my" Canadiens was a bitter sweet moment!

Now that we "clinched" a good pick, I try to convince myself that cheering for the Cannucks will be fun but deep down inside, I agree with you: "... I'd take the 8th seed over 1st overall any day of the week, call me a sucker.".

PS I don't think the priority is a #1C: the presence of a quality center like Eller on 3rd is an indicator of health at C imo. We need a winger to play alongside Plekanec and Gionta plus an experienced D man.

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 09:22 AM
Kriss E

I'm just so happy the season is finally over. Horrible year, and only but positive things to look forward to. The only time I was as excited as I am now this year was at the beginning of the season, when we didn't know what our outcome would be.
Now we get to look forward to a new GM, most likely new coach, hopefully the burial of Gomez, no more Campoli, Blunden, Noke, improvements all around.
And the draft lotto.

So, not empty now. Felt empty and crappy since RC took over as it was obvious after a couple games he was clueless. Now I'm happy.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 09:27 AM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Missing the PO sucks.

Its definitely an empty feeling.

I don't hate the team though.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 09:50 AM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:

They will likely remain awful for some time to come.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 09:51 AM
pine

More excited for the lottery and the draft than any other game this year.

pine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 09:54 AM
Hank Scorpio

At least there's some closure. Something about this season wasn't right even before it started, I'm just relieved it's over, considering how it went, and that feeling takes precedent over the empty feeling left by missing the playoffs. It was a disgraceful season and now it's over.

Hank Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 09:56 AM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

vCash: 1549
Why would i feel empty now? Did you just realize the Habs wouldn't make the playoffs? My feelings of emptiness passed back in November-December when I realized it was over.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 09:57 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

That's crazy talk. There is finally hope that the ownership will try to bring the ineptitude to an end. The team needed a bottoming out to force a self assessment . That's finally underway and now bigger things are possible.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 10:20 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
One unfortunate consequence of the Habs' poor season will be that most of the people who were not happy with certain decisions that were made will unite in their triumphalism - "aha, see we were RIGHT after all!"

This, despite the fact that many of these people did not even agree with each other back when the decisions were made. They all smugly feel now that they were collectively smarter than the professional individuals who were in charge of the Montreal Canadiens, and do not realize that if any ONE of them had been there instead, the results would have been a complete disaster. If Rejean Houle failed because he had no experience, imagine the utter debacle if one of us amateurs, and I include myself in the group, were suddenly in charge.

It's fine to make comments as a fan, and I do it myself. I think people cross the line, though, when I read comments that suggest that the management team were idiots, losers, a joke, and so forth.

It is REAL EASY to criticize after the fact, but every decision these professional managers make is fraught with risk. A couple of years ago, Rene Bourque easily outscored Eric Cole, and is younger to boot. Signing Eric Cole was a risk, like any other move one could make, and it worked out. Many of the people yelling how stupid Gauthier and Gainey are PANNED the Eric Cole signing. That is just one example of many decisions that are made, and the many perspectives one could have on it.

So for now, sure, fans will try to turn the collective joy that a new era will begin into a personal vindication of their awesomeness as an NHL Executive, but the consensus will not last past the first move our next GM will make!

I look forward to seeing what direction the club takes and will enjoy making comments but.......I do not pretend to know more about hockey than these dedicated and professional people do, each and every one of them, including those who win the Cup and those who do not.
The other side of that coin is this - there were people who did not like the moves made and the direction taken as events unfolded and some proactively predicted precisely the current situation. Those people were called "non fans", "dramatic", and worse for some time. Some people have probably earned some gloat time even if the i-told-you-so's are now coming out in fraudulent numbers.

The mismanagement was there all along, some are seeing it later than others. Some still don't see it. The team is in rough shape but the slate is nowcleaned for someone else to give it a go. Time to move on.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 10:23 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

Awards:
In a way yes, but in a way no.

Yes. I felt it immediately after the game ended and the realization sunk in that there would be no more Habs games for the next six months. It's not even about making the playoffs and being one and done, but the fact that they had hit the 82 game marker and the season was over. I guess it helped that they were eliminated from playoff contention a couple of weeks before the actual season was over, so that lowered the amount of damage but it's still sad to know that the Habs finished dead last in the East.

No. The draft junkie that I am, I can't help but feel excited that the Habs will select - at worst - in the 4th spot. That means they have a shot at one of Yakupov, Grigorenko, Galchenyuk or Forsberg. Maybe Murray if they want to make their defense rock solid in the future. Knowing that the Habs have a chance at making their future brighter with three picks in the first two rounds only brings a smile to my face. Also knowing that Markov will start next year instead of being on the sidelines for 90% of the year is a good thing. Injured players will be back and ready to go and next year will be much, much better.

Until then, Go Habs Go.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote