HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Losing the Presidents Trophy is a major letdown

Old
04-08-2012, 03:42 AM
SnowblindNYR

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post
I saw your post and responded to it in that thread.

PT means jack****. Really. The President's Trophy as a consolation for losing the Stanley Cup is like a bandaid over a gunshot wound. That's the metaphor I used and I stand by it.

It was nice to win last year just for the fact the Canucks had never done it before but beyond that, it's meaningless. Let me put it this way: in all the sniping and *****ing on the main board this year about the Canucks, how many times has "We won the President's Trophy!!" settled any argument? Zero, right? All it does is bring out the really vicious attacks because the big prize is all that matters at this stage.
Well you really don't need to prove anything to anyone. It's just that 10 years from now, I'd be looking a little more fondly on this season if we lost with the PT than without the PT. Also, compare the teams that win the PT and win the cup to the other cup winners and I think the PT winners are in a class of their own. They are seen as dominant teams rather than just champions. At least that's in my eyes. We probably wouldn't win the cup either way. There are still too many holes on this team.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 04:44 AM
HankieDankie

In the moment last year, the PT did not help deal with the SCF loss at all. At that point you are just too upset.

But looking back, and maybe a few years from now others will agree, the PT is a reminder of just how great our team was last year. Yes, we lost in the end, but that doesn't mean you can't appreciate what we did accomplish. We were absolutely dominant all year long. I remember we were going to be the first team to finish 1st in GF/GA/PP/PK since the 70's Habs, till we screwed up the PK in last game of the season. It was a special season. The franchise's first PT is important for a franchise that doesn't have a great history of winning. It's just like when Henrik won the franchise's first Art Ross/Hart. Yeah, it doesn't mean much in the big picture, but that doesn't mean you can't be proud of what you accomplished.

I just hate the mentality some people have towards the PT. Yes, the Stanley Cup is the one that matters, but winning the PT is no easy feat (let alone back to back). It doesn't help with the loss of the cup, but I still appreciate it. Similar to how, if Hank (your Hank) won the Vezina, but you guys didn't win the cup, it wouldn't help with being eliminated, but you would still appreciate his accomplishment.

That's my take on it. Btw, good luck to you Rangers, I'm a big Gaborik fan

HankieDankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 05:24 AM
TigerJack

For many of the foreign followers, norwegian in my case, it is interesting to see how little the league title means. 6 months of hockey, close to a game every other night in average, 82 games. And it all is pretty much a waste of time if you donīt make the playoffs....?

The regular season is basically one half year trying to qualify for the playoffs, and if you donīt make it, itīs a failure....?

In our country, league titles in most of the sports are the main goal for every team, and stands much higher than the cup. In norwegian hockey the cup is bigger than in other sports of course, but the League Title in hockey (Get Ligaen) is huge also.

TigerJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 05:31 AM
SixGoalieSystem
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL94com View Post

To piss away the best record in the league like this is terrible. Lundqvist, this is directed at you. You owe us bigtime in the playoffs, because your poor play down the stretch is a big reason vancouver is winning presidents trophy.

I'm so upset right now. We were so far ahead for so long and we just handed vancouver the title. But this team has noone to blame but themselves.
This is a joke, right? Hank is the reason this team was 1st in the east instead of 6th. Every Ranger fan should be down on their knees praising him for what he's done this year.

So, they didn't get the PT. Newsflash: There's a good chance they don't even get to the ECF. And what's more, that will be okay. Last season this team needed help from the ****ing Bolts to even get into the playoffs. Progress has been tremendous this year, and will continue next year.

The moanfest on these boards after every loss is a joke, and jumping on Lundquist who's been our best player this season (too) is so dumb I can't even begin to say it.

SixGoalieSystem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 07:05 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The Presidents Trophy is meaningless. The Rangers won it in 1991-92 and then lost to Pittsburgh in the 2nd round. The NHL is a post-season sport. The Cup is the ultimate prize.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 07:13 AM
chosen

People who care about the President's trophy must also care about having the best record in the Grapefruit league.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 07:17 AM
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

vCash: 476

pretty much

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 08:02 AM
Krampus
Call me Nils

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankieDankie View Post
In the moment last year, the PT did not help deal with the SCF loss at all. At that point you are just too upset.

But looking back, and maybe a few years from now others will agree, the PT is a reminder of just how great our team was last year. Yes, we lost in the end, but that doesn't mean you can't appreciate what we did accomplish. We were absolutely dominant all year long. I remember we were going to be the first team to finish 1st in GF/GA/PP/PK since the 70's Habs, till we screwed up the PK in last game of the season. It was a special season. The franchise's first PT is important for a franchise that doesn't have a great history of winning. It's just like when Henrik won the franchise's first Art Ross/Hart. Yeah, it doesn't mean much in the big picture, but that doesn't mean you can't be proud of what you accomplished.

I just hate the mentality some people have towards the PT. Yes, the Stanley Cup is the one that matters, but winning the PT is no easy feat (let alone back to back). It doesn't help with the loss of the cup, but I still appreciate it. Similar to how, if Hank (your Hank) won the Vezina, but you guys didn't win the cup, it wouldn't help with being eliminated, but you would still appreciate his accomplishment.

That's my take on it. Btw, good luck to you Rangers, I'm a big Gaborik fan

Krampus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 08:05 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Honestly.....unless we meet Vancouver in the finals and it goes to game 7 nobody will remember the Presidents trophy.

The team has bigger concerns. One shift at a time.

04-08-2012, 08:08 AM
beastly115

President's trophy means nothing in the playoffs. I'd rather not have the added pressure of being the President's trophy winners heading into the playoffs. Let Vancouver crumble like they usually do.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 08:36 AM
jniklast

Sure it would've been nice, but in the end it just isn't worth that much. And it doesn't really say much either with such different schedules. Vancouver is in a very weak division while we are in maybe the strongest. Chances are we could've earned those extra points with their schedule. Or St. Louis might've done it...

Unless we meet the Canucks in the finals it really is an afterthought.

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 08:42 AM
Gatorade*

The Presidents Trophy is neither here nor there but losing and facing the Sens is a huge problem for the Rangers. The Sens own them and have the deeper roster.

Gatorade* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 08:49 AM
Draft Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The Presidents Trophy is meaningless. The Rangers won it in 1991-92 and then lost to Pittsburgh in the 2nd round. The NHL is a post-season sport. The Cup is the ultimate prize.
The voice of reason. Thank you RB.

Can not believe this is actually a thread.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 08:55 AM
pld459666

Quote:
This is a huge disappointment. I don't care what anyone says. One of the things I was so proud of in the 1994 season was not only being the best team in the playoffs, but also the regular season.

To piss away the best record in the league like this is terrible. Lundqvist, this is directed at you. You owe us bigtime in the playoffs, because your poor play down the stretch is a big reason vancouver is winning presidents trophy.

I'm so upset right now. We were so far ahead for so long and we just handed vancouver the title. But this team has noone to blame but themselves.
Losing the Trophy is not that big a deal, losing it the way we lost it, is.

We had the damn thing in our hands, all we had to do was play out game and home ice throughout was ours.

Instead, we make Holtby look like some sort of top notch goalie.

That was pathetic.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 09:14 AM
Rangerfans

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
We're not winning the ****ing cup. The Presidents' Trophy is all we could hope for. We don't have enough offense. Our defense hasn't been good since December. Our goalie decided to take a vacation in the last two months outside of the Flyers game. This team has no shot at the cup. I don't even know if this team right now has a shot against the far more talented Ottawa Senators. Karlsson, Speeza, and probably Alfredsson are better than every player on this team not named Lundqvist. And they're better than every player on this team than the Lundqvist of the last month and a half.
*******, you're the biggest fair weather fan I have ever witnessed.

You're not a fan. You're only Ranger fan when they're doing well.

Rangerfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 09:16 AM
JayQueensNY88*

Quote:
This is a huge disappointment. I don't care what anyone says. One of the things I was so proud of in the 1994 season was not only being the best team in the playoffs, but also the regular season.

really,lol.....REALLY?!?! Man so much id love to say about this post...i hope you ok,being u R SO UPSET right now,lol..

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 09:17 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
People who care about the President's trophy must also care about having the best record in the Grapefruit league.
One of these is not like the other:

Winner of an 82 game, six month regular season.

Spring training games that don't count.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 09:19 AM
Killem Dafoe
k.

vCash: 50
I'm more disappointed in Hanks play the last few weeks than anything else. He could have had 40+ wins and a crazy insane GAA, running away with the Vezina.

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 09:21 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Meaningless? No it is not meaningless.

The goal is to win the Stanley Cup.

Its also for a team to be the best team they can be.

Playing at the top of the league for nearly 6 months, it means something to receive the Trophy that recognizes that.

Nothing is meaningless.

Old
04-08-2012, 09:21 AM
bmw2004

You give fans a finger and they will demand an arm or even two. Be happy that this team is first in the Eastern conference and second in the league. Stop talking about the Cup so much. One Game at the time, one round at the time, one final at the time

bmw2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 09:35 AM
Riverdale

Less dissapointed in losing the Pres than I am the team not showing up these past 2 games. Hoefully they effort level is there in the PO, and they don't decide to take days off

Riverdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 09:50 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

What other sport celebrates regular season success with a trophy? The Rangers lost to Pittsburgh in 1992 and they went home with teams with fewer points in the standings. That's a major letdown. The Packers went 15-1(#1 seed) and they lost their only playoff game. The previous season,they went 10-6 and were a wild card(6th seed). They won the Super Bowl. Which is a better season?

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 09:54 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
One of these is not like the other:

Winner of an 82 game, six month regular season.

Spring training games that don't count.
They are incredibly similar. Neither is an indicator of winning it all. They are almost irrelevant to it.

The point is to make the playoffs in order to stay alive. Yes, a team in first will have a better chance of winning it all than a team that finishes in 8th, but that is because they are more likely a better team.

To ***** and moan about finishing 2nd is absolutely, hysterically, comical.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 10:10 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
They are incredibly similar. Neither is an indicator of winning it all. They are almost irrelevant to it.

The point is to make the playoffs in order to stay alive. Yes, a team in first will have a better chance of winning it all than a team that finishes in 8th, but that is because they are more likely a better team.

To ***** and moan about finishing 2nd is absolutely, hysterically, comical.
"Moaning"?

How many would be proclaiming "meaningless" had they won last night.

Really? Spring training in ****ing baseball is similar to the regular season in the NHL? Really? And you believe your convoluted comparison holds validity or credibility? Really?

Earning game 7 at home in the Stanley Cup Final is comparable to the Grapefruit League...and you dare say someone else is comical?

The only consolation for getting blown out on home ice going into the playoffs, is that they avoided the Capitals in the first round.

Old
04-08-2012, 10:16 AM
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Well you really don't need to prove anything to anyone. It's just that 10 years from now, I'd be looking a little more fondly on this season if we lost with the PT than without the PT. Also, compare the teams that win the PT and win the cup to the other cup winners and I think the PT winners are in a class of their own. They are seen as dominant teams rather than just champions. At least that's in my eyes. We probably wouldn't win the cup either way. There are still too many holes on this team.
If you were walking down the street and found a bag of 20's, you would be crying to everyone it wasn't a bag of 50's.

Lol 10 years from now you look at anything fondly.

Miamipuck is offline   Reply With Quote