HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Where will Randy Cunneyworth be next year?

Old
04-08-2012, 09:24 AM
Habbadasher

vCash: 500
I honestly would not be surprised to see him back,it would be the right thing to do, amongst the many wrong things.

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 09:27 AM
BobbyFischer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habbadasher View Post
I honestly would not be surprised to see him back,it would be the right thing to do, amongst the many wrong things.
Back where? In the Bell Centre?

Selling popcorn and beer??

BobbyFischer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 09:41 AM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

Why not send him back to hamilton. He had a very good year with them. He was successful in the AHL and as much as he sucked as coach in mtl, he deserves better cause he was professional and good about the whole situation.

I'd like for the habs to keep him in the orginization

Kingbobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 09:45 AM
Habbadasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyFischer View Post
Back where? In the Bell Centre?

Selling popcorn and beer??
Posters are quick to criticize Gauthier for this years circus, and indeed he should be, but posts like this are equal to Gauthiers.

RC showed true professionalism and respect around the league, he deserves some type of position within the organization.

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 09:47 AM
BobbyFischer*

Quote:
Posters are quick to criticize Gauthier for this years circus, and indeed he should be, but posts like this are equal to Gauthiers.

RC showed true professionalism and respect around the league, he deserves some type of position within the organization.
Seriously?

Dude, put me as head coach of the habs and I would show true professionalism and respect as well.

That means nothing. This is a BUSINESS.

BobbyFischer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 09:57 AM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Seriously?

Dude, put me as head coach of the habs and I would show true professionalism and respect as well.

Ya but still no need to tear him down.
For all intents and purposes, he's gotten farther than any of us have ever gotten in hockey both as a player or as a coach and he had to put up with a circus so that deserves some respect

he sucks as a coach in the nhl, he was a great coach in the AHL so its not like he doesnt have his place in hockey

Old
04-08-2012, 09:59 AM
Kjell Dahlin

Randy Cunneyworth's coaching style is based on old clichés from another century but, if he is lucky, he will find a head coaching job in the AHL. He seems to be an honest, resolved and hard working man – If I read him well, he will work on his flaws so I would not be surprised if someone gives him another shot at the NHL (assistant coach) one day.

Luckily for us, it won't be with us!

His nomination sits on top, alongside a poorly (inexperienced) built D squad, of Gauthier's list of major mistakes.

PS The end of the Montreal Senators era is getting closer.

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 10:24 AM
THE HOFF

he will be home, or somewhere in the AHL.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 10:28 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:

If that's all that is needed to qualify for the position than there's about a million candidates.

RC was a terrible coach. I don't care if he's the nicest man on the planet, I don't want him near our team as a coach.

The right thing to do is let this guy go. Can't believe anybody would want him back, seriously.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 10:30 AM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbobert View Post
Why not send him back to hamilton. He had a very good year with them. He was successful in the AHL and as much as he sucked as coach in mtl, he deserves better cause he was professional and good about the whole situation.

I'd like for the habs to keep him in the orginization
That's also my take on it. He did a great job in Hamilton developing our kids. With all our top prospects joining Hamilton next year, having a key AHL coach is very important.

Randy did say himself that the new management will decide is faith, but he would like to stay within the organization. He said "organization", not coach, as he knows he won't be back as coach.

Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 10:33 AM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
If that's all that is needed to qualify for the position than there's about a million candidates.

RC was a terrible coach. I don't care if he's the nicest man on the planet, I don't want him near our team as a coach.

The right thing to do is let this guy go. Can't believe anybody would want him back, seriously.
Many of our young guys liked him in Hamilton and praised him for helping them out. He's not all bad.

Don't want him back as Habs coach, but as Bulldogs coach, why not? Not sure I want Clement Jodoin developing our best prospects next year!

Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 10:36 AM
GordonGraham

Head coach in the ahl( not hamilton) or at home

GordonGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 10:44 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

In a better place where winning takes priority over politics.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 10:45 AM
Aurel Joliat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
asst coach in Montreal .
I hope you are right.

First class person and I want to keep him in the organization

At least give him the head coach job in Hamilton

Aurel Joliat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 11:07 AM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
In a better place where winning takes priority over politics.
"Politics" has nothing to do with it.

(1) I heard more French coming from Cunneyworth's mouth in 3-4 months than Koivu's in 11 years – and that's what most of the fans in Quebec expect: a little effort and/or sign of respect - nothing more. From a language perspective, no one can blame Cunneyworth.

(2) Cunneyworth's record as this team head coach is 18-23-9. He often showed how clueless he was as this team head coach: Gomez on the PP, Eller reduced ice time, simplistic dump and chase hockey, his "we competed" comments after a loss, Plekanec was misused, White on the PK (I like White but he does not have a high hockey IQ)...

Cunneyworth won't be back because he often looked clueless + his coaching style is based on old clichés from another century.

Old
04-08-2012, 11:23 AM
habtastic

Quote:
Seriously?

What are you talking about? That's a cute statement cuz I bet you WOULDN'T show true professionalism and respect if you were put in the equivalent situation as he was. The guy has an incredible amount of character. Merçi beaucoup right until the end.

It means A LOT! Yeah it's a business and that's why stuff like this counts. You don't hire a half ass staff who have no respect for the organization.

He might not be a Jack Adams coach, but we saw some interesting hockey (if meaningless) from him and he's not as bad as people make him out to be. Our roster was depleted as hell and some of the regulars plain sucked. He could be a very good coach with the right group.

What was our record in the last month? Not bad and I think we had the most number of callups compared to any other point in the season. Basically he WAS the AHL coach.

Carlyle has won a stanley cup and couldn't turn around a sinking stone or even soften its decent. Wilson has had lots of success in SJ, but look at his tenure in toronto.

RC deserves to be kept by the organization or at least compensated somehow (more than a trip to disneyland), but he won't be for the reason that cleaning house means cleaning house, except for a few (Groulx, Timmins, trainers, etc.)

He's already done well in the AHL, but then again he had a good team to coach. He could definitely get a job back there, but the best for him would be assistant in the NHL again and hopefully one day he gets another shot at head coach. It won't be in MTL, but he's perseverant so I think he'll make it. It's still not clear what his philosophy or system was although it was leaning to offense with some tactic about getting the puck out by banking off the glass. Still, for people saying he had no system, it's also the fact that the players playing couldn't PLAY a system cuz they just weren't playing well enough. I didn't see DD's line struggling with it, or Gorges-PK. The Blundens/Whites/Staubitzs did great work and towards the end I saw Palushaj and that eventual 4th line really buzzing.

I think he's a good coach and I wish him the best.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 11:34 AM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
"Politics" has nothing to do with it.

(1) I heard more French coming from Cunneyworth's mouth in 3-4 months than Koivu's in 11 years – and that's what most of the fans in Quebec expect: a little effort and/or sign of respect - nothing more. From a language perspective, no one can blame Cunneyworth.

(2) Cunneyworth's record as this team head coach is 18-23-9. He often showed how clueless he was as this team head coach: Gomez on the PP, Eller reduced ice time, simplistic dump and chase hockey, his "we competed" comments after a loss, Plekanec was misused, White on the PK (I like White but he does not have a high hockey IQ)...

Cunneyworth won't be back because he often looked clueless + his coaching style is based on old clichés from another century.
I agree completely with point (1), but for (2), he wasn't that clueless. A lot of the stuff he did in the middle section of his term was effectively to force Gomez to get going to see what we were dealing with. I'm the first to say that Eller should play more, but he was deprived of his greatest asset, AK (and FTM Moen due to energy). Eller was bounced around as much as Pleks. As for the latter's misuse, it was actually USE where he could be successful (if you watched the games, you know his +/- doesn't reflect his contribution to defensive play) and the misuse comes from the fact he had no one to play with. Had Gionta been there, totally different story. Is it Plek's (or RC's) fault that Bourque was just horrid at doing anything a hockey player should be able to do (and an offensive one too!!!)?

Everything around the end was a little bit of practice. Trying out guys at positions to evaluate their strengths. We ended up with #2 PK and that was pretty much not #1 due to 1 game. I think he helped Blunden a lot (who IMO will prove effective in the future). Dump and chase was useless I agree, but again, it had everything to do with what players he had. The DD line didn't really play dump and chase, and like I said, PK and Gorges didn't either. Where there was talent, it was used in the style of hockey we wanted to see. Where there wasn't, dump and chase + expected hard work was the only way to go cuz this was not the tic-tac-toe team of previous seasons from lines 2-4. Of course he could be a more shrewd coach, many can improve. He was given 1/2 a season and I'm sure he learned a lot (look at our record recently). If he got to coach a bottom feeder and learn how to adapt to teams with less skill, he would get significantly better and I think in the NHL, that's the best and only option for him.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 12:10 PM
Joe Lamb

[QUOTE=Kjell Dahlin;47551973]"Politics" has nothing to do with it.

Politics had everything to do with it .

You make a coaching change, the start of the turmoil.Players become anxious of where they fit in the new regieme.Add to that a rookie NHL coach which creates other questions in players' minds.Throw in that some players have played for the new coach in the AHL - Will he prefer them? Set it all on fire with the language issue. The players try to focus on hockey but suddenly they are under the microscope .The media ramp up the coverage , ask difficult questions.The players try not to pay attention to the media but their families do.They hear ,read, and see the extremes - it worries them.The tension increases , the team flounders and loses more than they win.The trade deadline approaches , lots of rumors .The spiral down continues to swirl until the point of no return.

Making Scotty Bowman the head coach might not have prevented this.
In Quebec , the language issue is a constant , you are used to it . In ROC , it makes us uncomfortable and uneasy.For players from the rest of the world , they just don't understand and that also makes them (and their families ) uneasy.

Just my reflective thoughts.

Joe Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 12:10 PM
hockeyfan2k11

I can tell you one thing. If Cunney was coaching this team for 2-3 years....I can tell you it would be a lot tougher than the soft poop that got physically dominated in every facet of the game like we saw with Martin.

I want a new head coach, but the criticism this guy has received is pretty short-sighted. What I liked is the boys played hard even though the season was over.

Anyways, he'll probably get a gig as an assistant in the NHL or a head coach in the AHL.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 12:12 PM
Craig71

He will be back with the Habs as the coach of the power play or as one of the guys that sits in the penalty box.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 12:27 PM
Frankc

He sure won't be coach with Montreal. Because of what Molson said in December, they can't keep him as a headcoach, otherwise it would be an insult to the fans.

I would like to see him as an Assistant to Trevor Timmins. I'd like to see him in a role where he works on Player's development.

Frankc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 12:37 PM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
Many of our young guys liked him in Hamilton and praised him for helping them out. He's not all bad.

Don't want him back as Habs coach, but as Bulldogs coach, why not? Not sure I want Clement Jodoin developing our best prospects next year!
last year patches said he helped him alot, and the bulldogs had a really good record even when we took away DD and patches from them.

There are some coaches who simply cant handle the NHL but are great in the AHL.

Old
04-08-2012, 01:34 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
I agree completely with point (1), but for (2), he wasn't that clueless. A lot of the stuff he did in the middle section of his term was effectively to force Gomez to get going to see what we were dealing with. I'm the first to say that Eller should play more, but he was deprived of his greatest asset, AK (and FTM Moen due to energy). Eller was bounced around as much as Pleks. As for the latter's misuse, it was actually USE where he could be successful (if you watched the games, you know his +/- doesn't reflect his contribution to defensive play) and the misuse comes from the fact he had no one to play with. Had Gionta been there, totally different story. Is it Plek's (or RC's) fault that Bourque was just horrid at doing anything a hockey player should be able to do (and an offensive one too!!!)?

Everything around the end was a little bit of practice. Trying out guys at positions to evaluate their strengths. We ended up with #2 PK and that was pretty much not #1 due to 1 game. I think he helped Blunden a lot (who IMO will prove effective in the future). Dump and chase was useless I agree, but again, it had everything to do with what players he had. The DD line didn't really play dump and chase, and like I said, PK and Gorges didn't either. Where there was talent, it was used in the style of hockey we wanted to see. Where there wasn't, dump and chase + expected hard work was the only way to go cuz this was not the tic-tac-toe team of previous seasons from lines 2-4. Of course he could be a more shrewd coach, many can improve. He was given 1/2 a season and I'm sure he learned a lot (look at our record recently). If he got to coach a bottom feeder and learn how to adapt to teams with less skill, he would get significantly better and I think in the NHL, that's the best and only option for him.
I think Cunneyworth is a bad NHL head coach (I really hate dump and chase hockey) but you are right: injuries did limit his options and, as you mentioned in a previous post, his record in the last 30 days is decent/good. Regarding Gomez, I understand that he tried to get him going but he pushed it too far – in 2011-12, Eller was, clearly imo, the better player.

Heck... I also agree that "... Everything around the end was a little bit of practice. Trying out guys at positions to evaluate their strengths..." but I can't help it: mid/long terms, Cunneyworth's bias toward "grits/goons/good ol' hockey" (Jimmy Bonneau instead of Avstin last season in the AHL, White on the PK, Blunden with Plekanec...) was not reassuring.

Traditionally, Montreal usually relies on speed and creativity. Guys like Nilan, Bouchard, Odelin... were providing a complementary and important input but their playing style never was the main aspect of the Canadiens' play. Under Gauthier and Gainey, I do think we were ill equipped (almost defenceless) in terms of "toughness/grit/size" but I don't want this team to go back to the days of Brent Bilodeau and Turner Stevenson!

In retrospect, "clueless" was a strong word and I will stop using it when chatting about Cunneyworth's coaching abilities.

However... extracting the best out of skilled and creative players is not Cunneyworth's main cup of tea. I also doubt he will ever be able, based on a seemingly thin playbook, to correctly implement a system that would go beyond hard work and dump and chase hockey. Someone in here (I think it was Mathman) mentioned that in a world where everything revolves around puck possession, Cunneyworth continuously insisted that his players gave the puck away.

--------------------

Edit:

You wrote: "... I'm the first to say that Eller should play more, but he was deprived of his greatest asset, AK (and FTM Moen due to energy). Eller was bounced around as much as Pleks..."

He was deprived of his greatest asset because AK was not a Cunneyworth type of player. Btw… I call the day we witnessed AK out and Straubitz in the "Cunneyworth Day"!

Edit2:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Lamb View Post

Politics had everything to do with it .

You make a coaching change, the start of the turmoil.Players become anxious of where they fit in the new regieme.Add to that a rookie NHL coach which creates other questions in players' minds.Throw in that some players have played for the new coach in the AHL - Will he prefer them? Set it all on fire with the language issue. The players try to focus on hockey but suddenly they are under the microscope .The media ramp up the coverage , ask difficult questions.The players try not to pay attention to the media but their families do.They hear ,read, and see the extremes - it worries them.The tension increases , the team flounders and loses more than they win.The trade deadline approaches , lots of rumors .The spiral down continues to swirl until the point of no return.

Making Scotty Bowman the head coach might not have prevented this.
In Quebec , the language issue is a constant , you are used to it . In ROC , it makes us uncomfortable and uneasy.For players from the rest of the world , they just don't understand and that also makes them (and their families ) uneasy.

Just my reflective thoughts.
I do think the coaching change started the turmoil – I was not a fan of Martin but it would have been better to wait after the season imo.

I also agree when you wrote: "... Players become anxious of where they fit in the new regime. Add to that a rookie NHL coach which creates other questions in players' minds. Throw in that some players have played for the new coach in the AHL - Will he prefer them? ..." but I think you are putting way too much emphasis on the language issue when you wrote: "... Set it all on fire with the language issue...". Heck... even the hard core "sovereignists" in my surrounding were pleased by Cunneyworth's effort to communicate in French and they were not expecting him to speak fluent French. If this team was not sitting in the East' caves, there would be more fans of Cunneyworth.

I know that in the ROC, hammering on the French usually sells copies and generates "clicks" but Quebecois are, in general, open-minded; one can appreciate small gestures and little signs of respect (what Cunneyworth did was perfect imo) without being intolerant.

Cheers.

Last edited by Kjell Dahlin: 04-08-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old
04-08-2012, 01:58 PM
charlie

http://video.canadiens.nhl.com/video...d=66&id=170902

Watch this post game and tell me where you would like RC next year?

I definately want him in the organization.
Great guy.

charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 02:06 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

He'll be back behind an NHL bench in no time. Asst. for now. Head coach in a few years.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote