HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Connor McDavid - Erie Otters, OHL (2015 Draft)

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2012, 08:54 PM
shello
@WShello9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
I am a huge fan of Connor McDavid and co. But eventually one of these super hyped kids are going to bust like Calabrese and Anthony and MacAusland and Kuchin and Randell and McFarland... etc.

I'm just waiting for the "next one" to bust.

Hope it isn't McDavid though. I love new superstars.
True like that with any prospect. With Anthony wasn't it just he was just ahead of everyone in his age and they all caught up to him when he stopped improving? But yes
he could be right, but from what it looks like right now he won't be. He should chose a better time to hate on a rising star.

Old
03-25-2012, 09:04 PM
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33

Quote:
Originally Posted by shello View Post
True like that with any prospect. With Anthony wasn't it just he was just ahead of everyone in his age and they all caught up to him when he stopped improving? But yes
he could be right, but from what it looks like right now he won't be. He should chose a better time to hate on a rising star.
anthony still was more talented than a lot of players, he was just cocky, did not put the time in like a guy serious about improving would put in, he was lazy...one of those players who thought his talent would carry him the whole way...

Old
03-25-2012, 09:50 PM
NHL Fanatic

Connor McDavid is Connor McDavid & Nathan MacKinnon is Nathan MacKinnon. I think these kids would appreciate it if people understood that they each play their own game. Personally I think these Crosby comparisons are getting out of hand. Nathan has said in multiple interviews that it is great being compared to Crosby and all but he's no Crosby, and he'd prefer if people didn't compare him to Sid as those are pretty big shoes to fill. Both Nathan and Connor are phenomenal talents and will be an impact players in the next level if they continue their development. I would classify both hockey players as "special" and that is a term you don't use often, they just have to continue putting in the work.

Old
03-25-2012, 11:41 PM
doogie24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
I can only speak to the past 5-6 years. If a player plays in the ECHL or the AHL on an pro contract, then he has his education package for 18 months. The rational was that David Branch wanted kids to get the opportunity to play a year in pro hockey and then see what they wanted to do.

Good on Branch, I dont like alot of what he does, but this one was a good call.
A good example of this is Matt Clarke from London. Played 4 years in the OHL, then went and split time between the AHL and the ECHL. He came back to London this year, went to UWO, and will be playing for the Mustangs to start next year. Going to assume that his education package is still "valid".

Old
03-26-2012, 12:09 PM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker33 View Post
This kid is an actual phenom. Hes a 97' playing for the 96' toronto marlboros AAA (best team in North America) and hes there best player. I bet he will get exceptional status next season simply because he is already dominating at a year up age group. He amazing. heres a link from game 7 of the gthl playoffs.

http://vimeo.com/20658514
good call

Old
03-27-2012, 04:13 PM
jfb392

Quote:
TSNBobMcKenzie BTW, when Erie announces on Apr 6 1st pick in OHL draft, it will indeed be 15 year old Connor McDavid, recently granted exceptional status.
http://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/st...34759044399105

Old
03-27-2012, 04:16 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Great to hear, now we are just hoping he reports. Even if he is not willing to play in Erie (but I have heard is) it is a no brainer to pick him with the compensation rule on non reporting first round picks.

Old
03-27-2012, 04:25 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
I'm curious what some think is a realistic expectation for point totals next year. Is around a point per game reasonable?
That would be reasonable IMO. Anywhere from 55-80 points. I'd be surprised if he beats Tavares's 15 year old point totals but it could happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Crossbar View Post
McDavid vs Mackinnon - The next Ovechkin vs Crosby ??
McDavid seems better than MacKinnon already and Crosby/Ovie were identical till the 2010 Olympics (Not to mention these guys likely aren't as good as those two) so I don't think so.

Old
03-27-2012, 05:19 PM
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
That would be reasonable IMO. Anywhere from 55-80 points. I'd be surprised if he beats Tavares's 15 year old point totals but it could happen.

McDavid seems better than MacKinnon already and Crosby/Ovie were identical till the 2010 Olympics (Not to mention these guys likely aren't as good as those two) so I don't think so.
myself I think Mackinnon and McDavid are pretty much equale as to talent saw both play live both are different style players, Mackinnon is more attacker, Mackinnon is a little faster on his skates his acceleration is like no player I have seen before...McDavid is a little smarter, more control the play able to playmaker better, he has great ability to make something out of nothing...either like you said are not in the crosby territory.

Last edited by scoutman1: 03-27-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Old
03-27-2012, 08:02 PM
Pick Six
@Lafortune_FC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottersfan View Post
Great to hear, now we are just hoping he reports. Even if he is not willing to play in Erie (but I have heard is) it is a no brainer to pick him with the compensation rule on non reporting first round picks.
I'm sure he will. I wouldn't even worry about having to trade him/not reporting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post

I like the range you gave him, seems reasonable. I wouldn't be too surprised to see McDavid come close to JT's rookie year of 77 points (depending on what Erie does going forward). What would shock me if he gets anywhere near JT's 45 goals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutman1 View Post
myself I think Mackinnon and McDavid are pretty much equale as to talent saw both play live both are different style players, Mackinnon is more attacker, Mackinnon is a little faster on his skates his acceleration is like no player I have seen before...McDavid is a little smarter, more control the play able to playmaker better, he has great ability to make something out of nothing...either like you said are not in the crosby territory.
I agree with you for the most part on your assessments of the players, but disagree with them being equal. After getting to see a lot of them this season (even though they're at different stages development wise); I think McDavid will be a better player at the age MacKinnon is now. McDavid's hockey sense/IQ is off the charts, IMO.

It's obviously really early for both of these players, and they're both incredibly talent.

Old
03-27-2012, 09:39 PM
OHLFan8771

[QUOTE=Pick Six;46829223]I'm sure he will. I wouldn't even worry about having to trade him/not reporting.

Everyone on this site with credibility have all said he should report. I cant wait for April 7th and the start of next season.

Old
03-27-2012, 10:50 PM
Pick Six
@Lafortune_FC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottersfan View Post
I'm sure he will. I wouldn't even worry about having to trade him/not reporting.

Everyone on this site with credibility have all said he should report. I cant wait for April 7th and the start of next season.
I think the most intriguing thing about Erie is what they do besides drafting McDavid (import pick, 2nd round, trades etc). They can build a pretty impressive core, building towards the 2014 and 2015 seasons.

Old
03-27-2012, 11:00 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

vCash: 50
My official guess on McDavid's stat line next year.

GP: 63
G: 37
A: 42
P: 79

By the way when does his official stat pack get released?

Old
03-27-2012, 11:37 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick Six View Post
I think the most intriguing thing about Erie is what they do besides drafting McDavid (import pick, 2nd round, trades etc). They can build a pretty impressive core, building towards the 2014 and 2015 seasons.
I think they go with a high end goalie in the import draft. They have had success with that in recent years with Janus and Sadikov. I think they need to trade some of those other draft picks for a veteran d-man or a 2nd line forward. They have 5 picks in the top 55 in this years draft.

Old
03-28-2012, 08:50 AM
mlechtner13

Quote:
My official guess on McDavid's stat line next year.

GP: 63
G: 37
A: 42
P: 79

By the way when does his official stat pack get released?
I don't think he'll have that many goals. If he does, I'll be very happy and impressed. I think he'll go

GP: 62
G: 28
A: 53
P: 81

Old
03-28-2012, 09:11 AM
Reddawg

Quote:
I am a huge fan of Connor McDavid and co. But eventually one of these super hyped kids are going to bust like Calabrese and Anthony and MacAusland and Kuchin and Randell and McFarland... etc.

I'm just waiting for the "next one" to bust.

Hope it isn't McDavid though. I love new superstars.
They bust at least as often as they pan out...remember Steven Anthony and Angelo Esposito?

Old
03-28-2012, 10:45 AM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddawg View Post
They bust at least as often as they pan out...remember Steven Anthony and Angelo Esposito?
Yeah I mentioned Anthony in my post... Others too.

This happens often.

I'm just waiting for the first "Exceptional Status" kid to bust.

Not that I want him to, but it really is kind of inevitable.

Old
03-28-2012, 11:06 AM
mapleleaf979

I'm very confident Mcdavid will break the 100 point barrier more than once in the OHL. Im guessing he will be in the 75-90 point range next year depending on who his line-mates are. He needs a sniper with speed to bring out the best in his playmaking abilites. Mcdavid stunned his team-mates alot this year with passes that they had no idea were going to make it to them. He would be devasting from the half wall in the OHL right now on the PP.

IMO, McDavid needs to work on his shot velocity. Thats the only thing he needs help with. I agree with the above statements about being surprised if he breaks 45 goals like Tavares did. He scored alot this year but he wont get the breakaways he got this year. Although his speed will get him some for sure. He is just 15 though and will most likely grow/get stronger. I'd say 85% of his goals were from breakaways or 2 on 1's inside 10 feet. He rarely shot from the outside.

Last edited by mapleleaf979: 03-28-2012 at 11:22 AM.
Old
03-28-2012, 11:11 AM
JGardiner51

He has concussion problems, hopefully he doesnt get another bad one, he's already had 2 serious ones.

Old
03-28-2012, 01:04 PM
UppA45

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGardiner51 View Post
He has concussion problems, hopefully he doesnt get another bad one, he's already had 2 serious ones.

Source?
I guess anything is possible, even a stupid fluke elbow like what happended to Crosby. However, in all of the games I have seen him play, he is rarely touched, let alone hit, very heads up!

Let's hope for a long and prosperous career - great kid! And no, he won't be a bust, guaranteed!

Old
03-28-2012, 01:22 PM
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick Six View Post

I like the range you gave him, seems reasonable. I wouldn't be too surprised to see McDavid come close to JT's rookie year of 77 points (depending on what Erie does going forward). What would shock me if he gets anywhere near JT's 45 goals.

I agree with you for the most part on your assessments of the players, but disagree with them being equal. After getting to see a lot of them this season (even though they're at different stages development wise); I think McDavid will be a better player at the age MacKinnon is now. McDavid's hockey sense/IQ is off the charts, IMO.

It's obviously really early for both of these players, and they're both incredibly talent.
you know what, now that I think about it, McDavid IMO is better than Mackinnon, he is smarter than Mackinnon which I think will make him better so I do agree with you that I was wrong he probably will be better...

Old
03-31-2012, 12:38 AM
OHLFan8771

Great article in today's paper about Mcdavid. Seems that everything is coming together.

http://www.goerie.com/article/201203...medium=twitter

Old
04-06-2012, 10:56 AM
NeverGoingToWin

http://tsn.ca/chl/story/?id=392402

Old
04-06-2012, 10:37 PM
mlechtner13

No surprise here

http://ottershockey.com/article/otte...t-overall-pick

Old
04-08-2012, 09:53 AM
MrWilson

So he never gets hit, but he's had two concussions? Which is it? If he's had two serious head injuries, then the exceptional status thing is a pretty risky move on the part of his camp. Not sure of the criteria, and maybe he's just incredibly skilled and elusive, but size wise he ain't breakin records. He's not Ekblad size wise. Just seems a stretch to me. He's gonna get hit folks.

No one can say if he'll be a bust, but the physical aspect of the game levels the playing field for many a prospect. If the above is true, he's entering shark infested waters having already been bitten twice. Of the top 20 prospects for the 2012 NHL draft, around half have had concussions that kept them out (or should have kept them out) of the game while playing Jr hockey. That seems pretty significant to me.

I'm sure he'll be great, but what's the rush??

Closed Thread