HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Losing the Presidents Trophy is a major letdown

Old
04-08-2012, 09:48 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
while disappointed that we gave away the PT, coming in 2nd overall while most pundits pen'd us in at 6-9 in the east makes me very very satisfied with how the season unfolded.

this was a very successful regular season.

I want the PO's to be even more successful.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 10:07 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

vCash: 500
Its NOt a let down.

But winning it is NOT meaningless.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 10:20 AM
Dangleberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCrestno View Post
Why you have dinner with a Penguins' fan?! 10 points deducted from Gryffindor.
Are we facing a first round knock out? I thought we were facing the Ottawa Senators?

My two cents on the topic of the thread: Not a let down! The dynamic and group mentality and effort this team created is worth more than any freaking trophy out there (exception to the cup of course ) It's great to look at 109 points on the season, it would be a touch better to look at 111 and the PT but looking at this team and the process, up and down affair, and perseverance that was the regular season of 11-12, I am more than happy and proud to be a fan of this hockey club. LGR!
We were eating at a bar after the Pens-Flyers game. I was extremely inebriated. I saw the score and was pissed off to no end. Alcohol tends to make one overreact. In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter since I would have never thought they were competing for the trophy in the beginning of the season. At that point I didn't realize we were playing the Senators, thought Rangers-Caps was a lock.

Dangleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 11:04 AM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Its NOt a let down.

But winning it is NOT meaningless.
This exactly. Not sure why some people always have to take a hard stance on these types of issues.

And not only that, but I don't know why people are talking about a piss poor effort last night. Except for a short stretch in th first, the game was pretty one sided in terms of play. We were victimized by bad bounces while not getting any good bounces of our own. Those games happen sometimes, even in the playoffs.

Oh, and we still earned the best possible matchup in the first round.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 11:11 AM
satrabyk

Id rather they have the fire for the playoffs than give all their energy to win something that truly is meaningless if you dont go to the cup. I would call a first round exit a major letdown, and instead of worrying about the presidents trophy lets worry about our team is ready to go in the playoffs. Esp Richards who has to elevate his game and be atleast as good as Spezza. This is a tough series for us i can tell you that.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 11:27 AM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

I wanted the President's trophy just for the omen it would send paralleling the 94 team.

But let's look at the final result seriously. The only way not winning hurts is if Vancouver wins the West, Rangers win the East and our guys don't get home ice in the finals.

Unless this scenario happens, being 1st or 2nd overall changes nothing.

Stanley Foobrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 11:39 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

The reason I wanted them to win it is:

1. They busted their ass all year for the right to earn it on game #82 of the season.

2. Home ice for game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final should they get to that point.

Disappointing. Let down? No. They deserved it and it means something that they did.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 12:13 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Quote:
The reason I wanted them to win it is:

1. They busted their ass all year for the right to earn it on game #82 of the season.

2. Home ice for game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final should they get to that point.

Disappointing. Let down? No. They deserved it and it means something that they did.
Should they make the finals, the only way they don't get home ice is if the opponent is Vancouver, right?

Stanley Foobrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 01:31 PM
coastal_nuck

You guys had a great season, don't let this get you guys down because I'm sure it won't matter in the dressing room for your club. Definitely rooting for you guys in the east. Would be nice seeing Hank blanket the East. Here's to a 94 rematch this year!

coastal_nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 01:48 PM
Rangerfans

Quote:
"Moaning"?

How many would be proclaiming "meaningless" had they won last night.

Really? Spring training in ****ing baseball is similar to the regular season in the NHL? Really? And you believe your convoluted comparison holds validity or credibility? Really?

Earning game 7 at home in the Stanley Cup Final is comparable to the Grapefruit League...and you dare say someone else is comical?

The only consolation for getting blown out on home ice going into the playoffs, is that they avoided the Capitals in the first round.
Because you're getting so bent out of shape over nothing.

Yes, nothing.

We were 2nd in the league.

B-b-but we could have had home-ice in game 7 of the SCF!

You're assuming Vancouver is automatically making it to the SCF. That is ONE team. If they don't and we do, guess what?! Home ice is ours.

Does it suck? Yes.

Was I pissed? Yup.

Are you overreacting? Hell yeah.

Rangerfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 03:52 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
Yep, trade lundqvist because he only won us the eastern conference. What a scrub!

What a piece of **** he is that he didn't win the president's trophy.

Are you people even listening to the BS coming out of your mouths?

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 08:50 PM
chosen

Quote:
"Moaning"?

How many would be proclaiming "meaningless" had they won last night.

Really? Spring training in ****ing baseball is similar to the regular season in the NHL? Really? And you believe your convoluted comparison holds validity or credibility? Really?

Earning game 7 at home in the Stanley Cup Final is comparable to the Grapefruit League...and you dare say someone else is comical?

The only consolation for getting blown out on home ice going into the playoffs, is that they avoided the Capitals in the first round.
Yes, moaning. Maybe you missed the original post of the thread.

20 out of 27 teams were not ranked #1 when they won the Cup. Explain how it is statistically meaningful. Statistically, you are far better off not being number 1. No, I don't think being number 2 is preferable to being number 1. I'm saying it doesn't matter.

Again, anyone who gets bent out of shape by not winning the President's Cup needs to get a grip.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 08:57 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Yes, moaning. Maybe you missed the original post of the thread.

20 out of 27 teams were not ranked #1 when they won the Cup. Explain how it is statistically meaningful. Statistically, you are far better off not being number 1. No, I don't think being number 2 is preferable to being number 1. I'm saying it doesn't matter.

Again, anyone who gets bent out of shape by not winning the President's Cup needs to get a grip.
Not necessarily. In order to determine whether or not #1 really isn't the best, you would have to break down the other 20 winners by their original seed and see if any of those is greater than 7.

For instance if 11 of those 20 who won were actually the 3rd seed, then statistically it would be best for you to be in the third seed to win the cup. However if none of those other team's seeds combined is more than 7, then statistically your are most favorable to win the cup by being the number one seed.

You can't just say oh well 20 out of 27 teams were not number one, therefore number one isn't the best seed to have to win the cup. All that proves is that you do not NEED to be number one to win the cup.

Edit: Clarifying, by seed I mean overall rank.

04-08-2012, 10:12 PM
adam94
BU Terriers

A Stanley Cup mitigates and/or completely washes away any sort of let down or disappointment we've gone through this year. That's all we should be caring about.

adam94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 10:18 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Yea I have to agree that this was a letdown, but it shouldn't overshadow the season. Just too bad we got there and put up an absolute stinker when we could have achieved something pretty cool. Oh well, wait until Thursday now.

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 02:38 AM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfans View Post
*******, you're the biggest fair weather fan I have ever witnessed.

You're not a fan. You're only Ranger fan when they're doing well.
The ignore button is the greatest feature on this site. Do yourself a favor and start using it. I did, and the browsing experience here has vastly improved

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 04:01 AM
MDL8981

If we play Vancouver in the Finals and are preparing for a Game 7 on the road...thats probably the one instance I'll say "damn I wish we won the PT".

Otherwise...I could care less. The only banner that matters to me is Stanley Cup Champions, and the only trophy that matters is the Cup.

MDL8981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 12:34 PM
Edge

Would've liked to have won th trophy, but I don't consider it a let down.

With that said, I can recall 30 years of Stanley Cup winners off the top of my head pretty easily. I can't do the same for the best regular season record.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 12:36 PM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Could care less about the President's Trophy. Know what'll be a let down. If we freaking lose to Ottawa in Round 1. Or if we lose to the Devils in Round 2.

TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 12:38 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheGr8 View Post
Could care less about the President's Trophy. Know what'll be a let down. If we freaking lose to Ottawa in Round 1. Or if we lose to the Devils in Round 2.
Yep. Only time it's a letdown is if we go to the finals, meet Vancouver, and the series goes to 7 games. Otherwise, I don't care.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 02:19 PM
egelband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
Would've been nice, but I'm eyeing a different banner.
this is how i feel. i didnt even check the vancouver score. the playoffs are where its at. simple.

and that said, i dont even expect the cup this year. this ranger team is developing far more quickly than expected, but still lacks scoring and experience.

egelband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 03:10 PM
r21g

Its not that big of a let down. Could have been alot worse if pit took over the 1st spot in the east. I'm pretty happy with where the rangers finished and I'm looking forward to some good playoff action.

r21g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 03:19 PM
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey

vCash: 50
OK, I am over it. Just start the PO's already!

LGR!

Hellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 03:42 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfans View Post
*******, you're the biggest fair weather fan I have ever witnessed.

You're not a fan. You're only Ranger fan when they're doing well.
If that were the case I wouldn't watch them. I'm a Knicks fan when they're doing well. Guess what I do when they're losing, I don't watch them. The Senators have the better talent than the Rangers. Who on the Rangers is as good as Karlsson, a Norris candidate? Who is as good as Spezza? Alfie is great too. Michalek is great, he wasn't far away from Gabby in the goal scoring department. Though Gabby is the much better passer and better player for sure. Anderson stole that San Jose series a couple of years back. The only series we won with Hank was ones were either the better team or an equal team.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 03:50 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
What other sport celebrates regular season success with a trophy? The Rangers lost to Pittsburgh in 1992 and they went home with teams with fewer points in the standings. That's a major letdown. The Packers went 15-1(#1 seed) and they lost their only playoff game. The previous season,they went 10-6 and were a wild card(6th seed). They won the Super Bowl. Which is a better season?
A couple of things. If it were possible to play 82 games without dying and the Packers played 82 games, there are chances that they wouldn't have the best record. The Giants would most likely finish with a far better winning percentage than they had at 9-7. Having the best record in a sprint of a 16 game season is not the same as having the best record in a marathon of an 82 game season. Second, no one is saying that a cup is even as important as the PT. That doesn't mean that when you have the PT in your grasp you shouldn't want it, in addition to a cup.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote