HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Phoenix Coyotes: 2011-2012 PACIFIC DIVISION CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
04-08-2012, 09:44 AM
mitch27

vCash: 500
I really wish I could get a copy of that newspaper so I could have it framed.

mitch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 09:49 AM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch27 View Post
Me too! Me too!

hbk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 09:51 AM
Swat Ultra
~Hockey!~

so awesome cant believe it still

Swat Ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 09:52 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post
Wow, this thread brings tears to my eyes. I'm so glad we have more games in Arizona, but I hope for a lot more.
Me too. It's such a roller-coaster ride this season. I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop. One day/hour/minute I'll be optimistic that we'll be hearing about a new local owner any day now, and the very next I'll have a sick feeling that it's just a matter of days until they announce the team is moving.

It's that whole BOH thing. I should probably avoid that place and just enjoy whatever games I can. For every time someone like Nealy says "they're staying, announcement coming out any time" there's 4-5 people on BOH who can 'prove' that the evidence points to the team moving. I keep telling myself that Nealy is in a better position to know than some random BOH people who are connecting mysterious dots, but then I also remind myself that Nealy may be in the dark too.

Today, I shall simply enjoy the feeling of knowing the boys won the division, that they actually got good coverage in the AZ Republic, and that the news stations are actually mentioning them as more than an aside.

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 10:32 AM
DarthMonty
Jurassic Park baby

vCash: 50
Congratulations to the Coyotes and their fans - perhaps this is the incentive needed to prompt a buyer to come forward.

As much as I want to see the Nordique resurrected, I hope it's not at the expense of the Coyotes. I still remember the pain I felt when the Jets packed up for the desert, and I don't wish that on any fanbase.

I've been to games in Glendale - an awesome experience, to tell the truth. It's a beautiful arena and stadium, and one game we attended (Shane Doan's 1000th game celebration) was a sell-out, and the joint was rockin'.

Here's to hoping that the 'Yotes can get through to the Conference Finals, or even better the Cup Finals, leaving egg on the faces of the NHL brain trust.

I'll be rooting for the Coyotes this year, that's for sure.

DarthMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 10:44 AM
usahockey22flyers
Classic Coburn...

Congrats!! So pumped for all of you!!

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 10:45 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by frackiewicz View Post

It's that whole BOH thing. I keep telling myself that Nealy is in a better position to know than some random BOH people who are connecting mysterious dots, but then I also remind myself that Nealy may be in the dark too.
..."that whole BOH thing" indeed. No one knows. Im one of the 'dot connectors' and unfortunately the facts on the ground belie the statements, conjecture & speculation in the media, cyberspace.

One would just have to accept the CEO's words of optimism after so long a silence as being genuine. He could just as easily have kept stum, nothing to be gained in floating false hope...

Im hoping this team goes deep, real deep & carves up the Western Conference. Talk about your Cinderalla Stories. This one has the makings of it, the characters already written into the script for even the most jaundiced & cynical of observers to start praying for your club.

Congrats to all on the title, quite an accomplishment for the team in & of itself all things considered. Keep your heads up & sticks on the ice, you have no idea how many tens of 1000's of us from coast to coast to coast to coast are rootin' for ya!...

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 11:03 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
One would just have to accept the CEO's words of optimism after so long a silence as being genuine. He could just as easily have kept stum, nothing to be gained in floating false hope...
That indeed. I can't help thinking that IF there were no hope, what would be the point of Nealy's statements about it? IF there were no hope, why not say nothing? If everyone is already expecting the team to move, just keep mum and let it play out. But to make statements about the team staying if in fact they are leaving, that is just cruel. As ruthless a businessman Bettman may be, I'd like to think that it doesn't go so far as to be cruel. Not saying anything until after the playoffs in order to sell tickets and maximize revenue is a completely legit business strategy, and I completely understand doing that. But sending out little messages of hope only to later announce that the team is moving would be unconscionable - it would likely kill any chances the NHL has of keeping Phoenix fans interested in the game at that level.

I've heard the same thing from three different people - Nealy, Jim Treliving, and the guy on the nhl.com last week. They all say exactly the same thing. Maybe it's the party line, maybe not. Time will tell. It's just so interesting with the tea leaves, the cloak and dagger stuff, etc. The evidence is something like:

Proof they are staying:
Bettmann says no plan B
guy on Nhl.com says they're staying (Shannon, I think?)
Daly says they are still working to keep them here
Nealy says they're staying
Treliving says they're staying
Doan says everyone in the locker room confident they're staying

Proof that they are going to QC:
QC is building an arena
QC planning for season ticket sales already
QC planning logo design for jerseys
Mayor Scruggs video - she mad
Liebermann video - he mad (and crazy, but I don't know if the QC contingent is aware of that)
bunch of Glendale council people are out of here come November

So either the plot is way, way nefarious and all of the people on the top list are just covering up for the hidden double-secret plan to move the team, or that really is the plan at this particular moment.

Old
04-08-2012, 11:15 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

I dont think its a huge leap to suggest that Gary Bettman may indeed pull out all the stops at the last minute to facilitate a local sale. Moving the franchise would be a major hit to his pride.

He'll be eviscerated in all kinds of quarters for his price point obstinance etc etc and just overall general intransigence if he takes the easy way out and leaves the COG swinging on a Gibbet. Not something to be looking forward to...

Last edited by Killion: 04-08-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old
04-08-2012, 11:29 AM
Yote Devil

Haven't posted in a while, just wanted to good job on everyone that made it to sky harbor last night that was sweet! Pacific champs baby!! Hoooowwwwwwlllll!!

Yote Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 11:51 AM
Tanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch27 View Post
Give the paper a call on Monday and order a back copy.

Back issues
Back issues are available in limited quantities for 90 days after the date of publication. To obtain a back issue copy of The Arizona Republic, call (602) 444-8537.

http://www.azcentral.com/help/articles/contact.html

Tanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 12:37 PM
MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
He'll be eviscerated in all kinds of quarters for his price point obstinance etc etc and just overall general intransigence if he takes the easy way out and leaves the COG swinging on a Gibbet. Not something to be looking forward to...
So you think that would be the reaction within the league and the pro sports industry generally? Would it reflect as badly on Bettman and his people as we vengeful types might hope?

MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 01:06 PM
kingscup
MBML

Send a message via AIM to kingscup
Just wanted to say congratulations, although I obviously wish the Kings would have won it. Good luck against the Hawks.

kingscup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 01:17 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP View Post
So you think that would be the reaction within the league and the pro sports industry generally? Would it reflect as badly on Bettman and his people as we vengeful types might hope?
I dont have the same emotional & or financial investments in this team as you do, so I wouldnt categorize my feelings about it as being "vengeful". All I want is to see honesty, effort, objectivity & reason, justice prevailing. I havent seen it to date.

Last edited by Killion: 04-08-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old
04-08-2012, 02:50 PM
Plowevelski
:-)) Torres Fan Club

Congrats to PHX and their fanbase. Anyone hating on your division crown is just a sore loser and cant accept defeat. Sick of hearing how you don't deserve it. Now win a playoff series! I'm rooting for you guys.

Sharks shot themselves in the foot, played like crap a lot, you had our number head to head, we gave what 10 points to THE DUCKS! That isn't worthy imo. Glad it was you to dethrone us!

Mike Smith is a beast (never thought I'd say that) but he's definitely earned some serious respect beyond his stick work in my books. I think he probably could have shot at our EN the last time we played... I'm thankful he didn't.

However the playoffs go I wanna see a new champ preferably, or a "cool story". Or watch NYR '94 the Canucks again... In Vancouver... and the riots create more hilarious memes.

Good luck! I hope Smith shuts the door in every game because I cannot stand to listen to the Hawks goal song "Chelsea Dagger"

Plowevelski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 05:05 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

There is no question the Coyotes will be honored for winning this at Game 1 on Thursday. How about raising a banner though? Coud there already be one in the making right now to hang up for the game or is the dice going to be rolled here and wait until the home opener if the team is still here???

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 05:12 PM
Naurutger
#FreeMax

vCash: 1329
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
There is no question the Coyotes will be honored for winning this at Game 1 on Thursday. How about raising a banner though? Coud there already be one in the making right now to hang up for the game or is the dice going to be rolled here and wait until the home opener if the team is still here???
Dbacks had a temp banner made the day after they won it last year so I am sure the will get one for this team. No matter what, no one can take it away from us! Its even more special when you think of a team like the Kings haven't won one in 22 years.

Naurutger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 05:16 PM
Sceva Sct
on the edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowevelski View Post

Good luck! I hope Smith shuts the door in every game because I cannot stand to listen to the Hawks goal song "Chelsea Dagger"
Ugh.. I totally forgot they play that as their goal song. I can't stand it either. Please shut the door in those games Smitty!

Sceva Sct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 05:27 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

Quote:
Originally Posted by naurutger View Post
Dbacks had a temp banner made the day after they won it last year so I am sure the will get one for this team. No matter what, no one can take it away from us! Its even more special when you think of a team like the Kings haven't won one in 22 years.
That is good to know and we need to post pictures of the celebration of such a feat on here.

Plus if any of you can find picures of anything with the Coyotes as division champs, post it here as well for others to share.

I love this hangover right now of winning the division.

Old
04-08-2012, 05:33 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Heck of an accomplishment for a team that everyone had dead and buried before season started.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 05:35 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
Heck of an accomplishment for a team that everyone had dead and buried before season started.
As the old saying goes: Haters Gonna Hate!

Thank you as well. You going to any Rangers playoff games?

Old
04-08-2012, 06:09 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

So is there anything I should know about playoff games vs regular games?

The boy and I always get there for warmups with our sign. I hear the gates open at 5:30, so is it advisable to show up earlier than usual if we want to be up front for warmups? I'm guessing yes.

Old
04-08-2012, 06:47 PM
Naurutger
#FreeMax

vCash: 1329
I did not notice anything different last year versus a regular sold out game so you should be fine. Westgate did close off the area to make it like a block party. It was free but you could grab a beer outside instead of hitting up a food place.

Naurutger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 07:08 PM
mitch27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanic View Post
Give the paper a call on Monday and order a back copy.

Back issues
Back issues are available in limited quantities for 90 days after the date of publication. To obtain a back issue copy of The Arizona Republic, call (602) 444-8537.

http://www.azcentral.com/help/articles/contact.html
Perfect, thanks.

mitch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 07:16 PM
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sceva Sct View Post
Ugh.. I totally forgot they play that as their goal song. I can't stand it either. Please shut the door in those games Smitty!
Is that the song they've had for a couple years now? Uh.. I hate that song so much. Listening to it, I feel I'm tied to the end of string and some kid is swinging the thing over his head like a lasso, going around.. and around.. and around... and around... and around....

Naych_PHX is offline   Reply With Quote