HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Any other habs fans feel "empty"?

Old
04-08-2012, 10:27 AM
andy28

vCash: 500
I haven't taken it all that hard. Sometimes what other people see as failure is a blessing in disguise. Not only because it gives us a chance to nab a good prospect and to reassess our team, but its just generally good for people to lose some. Habs fans take this game pretty seriously. Sometimes far too seriously. The line between what we call passion and being nuts gets pretty thin sometimes.

It is spring and while most of us will still be into to the playoffs, we aren't required to be. I can miss games now. That's an extra three hours in my life on any given game night to do something different.

andy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 10:46 AM
Sargent Pepper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Beliveau (pre-draft period) aside, only one out of all of those players was picked in the top 3 of the draft. Perhaps the greatest defenceman of all time was a second round pick. Roy and Dryden were not high picks either.

You cannot win the Cup if you are not in the playoffs. Ask the New York Islanders, Atlanta Thrashers, Edmonton Oilers, Florida Panthers and the other perennial losers of late.

Yes, we had a bad year, yes it is normal that management is changed when that happens, but these same individuals were in charge when within a three-year period, the Habs won a Conference Championship and got to the Stanley Cup semi-finals in two different years. They have also made the playoffs 6 of the past 8 years, which, believe it or not, is significantly above the league average, which would be 4.27.

And to all of you who belittle finishing in the playoffs and getting knocked out in the first or second round, well 26 teams out of 30 do not win two playoff rounds each and every year!

You gotta be in the game if you want to win. By all means let's have better drafting and better development, but this franchise was not built on tanking, it was built on a winning tradition and I hope Geoff Molson succeeds in re-implanting one soon.
So your hypothesis is that we should continue to be a middle of the road team? Another tread on this board already established that Timmins is one of the best in this league for drafting. His picks makes it to the NHL more often than most other team.

By suggesting we should continue to try to squeak into the playoffs because we just might win one day is nonsense.

The definition of stupidity is to repeat the same actions and expect different results...

I am glad we sucked badly this year. For once, we will get a great draft pick and hopefully, it will translate into an all-star offensive player, something we been missing for a long long time....

Our first pick of the 2nd round will, by comparison, be close to what we typically draft (just a few spots behind). GREAT!

Sargent Pepper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 11:00 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

This year was needed to finally break that mirage of the 2009-2010 playoffs and finally put this organization back to earth. We've been relying so much in our glorious past and now were realizing that we haven't done **** in the present.

We must take this with humility and hopefully the new GM has a plan to get us back on track and to make this organization a regular contender for the next decade.

I embrace this year as it's hopefully what this franchise needed to realize that squeezing into the playoffs is not the best way of trying to win championships.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 11:04 AM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
With the game against Toronto and the fans reactions afterwards I don't feel so empty I think next year is going to be a lot brighter than this one.
brighter if we dont fk it up again

it starts at the draft ...if we land the #1 center we need , he starts between the 2 horses in Cole and Max

trade Pleks and get a decent #3 reliable d man in return

stop the BS in free agancy , dont get involved

develop Eller and Leblanc, phase in Tinordi and few other prospects

be patient , it may take one more lottery pick

but if Molson and the GM do the same S H I T as before , overpaying 20-25 goal scorers , dumping talent for no return and patching , we will never improve

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 11:06 AM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
The other side of that coin is this - there were people who did not like the moves made and the direction taken as events unfolded and some proactively predicted precisely the current situation. Those people were called "non fans", "dramatic", and worse for some time. Some people have probably earned some gloat time even if the i-told-you-so's are now coming out in fraudulent numbers.

The mismanagement was there all along, some are seeing it later than others. Some still don't see it. The team is in rough shape but the slate is nowcleaned for someone else to give it a go. Time to move on.
Yeah..........there's a few posters here it'd be nice to say "I **** told ya Hamrlik or a replacement was needed." But that gets me no consolation at all. I wanted last year's team to basically stay in tact with a few tweaks. And Cole as it turns out was a great signing and one of those "tweaks."

The organization in all of it's wisdom brought in Hamrlik because defensive depth was needed. He provided that for four years. He could have done it for another. Don't want Hamrlik - fine but don't undervalue what he brought to the team in precisely the predicament they found themselves in with Markov out again. But hey the Habs kept Gill who was atrocious during the regular season.

The irony of it all. Kept Hal Gill for his mentoring and playoff ability because Markov who is fantastic in the regular season but somewhat disappears in the playoffs would be back. So what happens - Markov out, no anchor (Hamrlik or other), Gill sucks. Gill's gone for his playoff fix and Markov is back for the playoffs 'cept for one thing - ain't no playoffs for the Habs.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 11:11 AM
Ginu

I don't feel empty - I'm excited. For years we make the playoffs knowing that we don't really have a chance to challenge. We've always been all heart but too small to really make a difference. This year we finally have an opportunity to guarantee a top end prospect. There's a higher chance that someone we draft in the top 4 becomes a big piece for us, than the chance of us competing for a playoff spot. That's what I'm banking on.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 11:44 AM
Hugo Sham

i feel empty. look forward to the buzz of a playoff run, speculation etc...pretty ****** feeling right now

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 11:53 AM
bipolarhabfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemorecup View Post
brighter if we dont fk it up again

it starts at the draft ...if we land the #1 center we need , he starts between the 2 horses in Cole and Max

trade Pleks and get a decent #3 reliable d man in return

stop the BS in free agancy , dont get involved

develop Eller and Leblanc, phase in Tinordi and few other prospects

be patient , it may take one more lottery pick

but if Molson and the GM do the same S H I T as before , overpaying 20-25 goal scorers , dumping talent for no return and patching , we will never improve
We should get involved in free agency but only to address three important needs, a top-six forward to play with Plekanec, a dman, and a stabilizing presence on our fourth line. What sucks is that there are virtually no mid level players to choose from. You either have a Semin or Parise or a Hudler.

bipolarhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 11:58 AM
Sargent Pepper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolarhabfan View Post
We should get involved in free agency but only to address three important needs, a top-six forward to play with Plekanec, a dman, and a stabilizing presence on our fourth line. What sucks is that there are virtually no mid level players to choose from. You either have a Semin or Parise or a Hudler.

That is entirely ridiculous. The players that will win for us in the future are nowhere near ready to compete at that level. Getting free agents will simply delay our development and probably kill another generation of kids.

what we need to do now is develop our talent. That takes time. Hiring free agents will prevent that development by giving the ice time to the high paid help instead of giving the ice time to developing future stars.

Enough with this stupidity of hiring free agents.....at least until our young players have developed and we are close to wining big.

Sargent Pepper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 11:59 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

It feels exactly like when 09 ended, except I don't have to live through the humiliation of getting destroyed by Boston in 4.

But I had stopped caring for that season long before game 82 came around. This year just so happens we actually have something to show for it.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 12:02 PM
Jesse Pinkman

I'm excited for the draft, so all good here.

Jesse Pinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 12:15 PM
Muminek

This year was horrible, but maybe necessary for the organisation`s developement, like an unpleasant treatement to regain health? It`s a chance. Let`s not eff it up this time

Muminek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 12:20 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Yeah feel empty worst season ever and I've been watching the Habs since forever. High draft pick does not excite me so much because we have always drafted well it's what happens afterward that has sunk us.

Only six months until opening day!

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 12:23 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
I do! I'm a proud Montreal'er & really hate to lose.... It was embarrassing & exhausting, but I'm also glad it's over so we can get on fixing the mess.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 12:24 PM
Hugo Sham

the only 'redeeming' feature of being out is it's going to be a very, very exciting summer for hab fans...in a long time

-new staff
-draft
-UFA's

etc

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 01:21 PM
ashtraygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
It feels exactly like when 09 ended, except I don't have to live through the humiliation of getting destroyed by Boston in 4.

But I had stopped caring for that season long before game 82 came around. This year just so happens we actually have something to show for it.
Yeah, I'd add 2007 to that list as well. That game against Toronto was soul crushing.

It'll be a long 5 months but at least we'll get a an important piece moving forward.

ashtraygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 02:04 PM
BigHab*

It's only a freakin' hockey game where a bunch of millionaires skate around a sheet of ice trying to put a little piece of rubber into a net. My God, some people are pathetic. I didn't read of any of these players doing anything spectacular as in saving lives, saving the planet, etc. They'll all have their summer off, do a bit of training, take their families or themselves on a nice vacation, perhaps purchase a new high-end vehicle or remodel their home or condo. Most will be back to do this all over again next season. The others will do somewhere else. End of story.

BigHab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 02:06 PM
Captain Saku

I prepared myself emotionally and mentally since 2 months, so no not exactly feeling empty.

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 02:16 PM
AntonCH

The only time I truly felt empty was when we were coming out of the late seventies dynasty and we were eliminated with Herron in nets.
Now that was a black void; having grown up in the seventies that first defeat really hurt.
This is nothing - stanley cups are no longer god-given to the Habs anymore.

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 02:20 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Finishing last hurts right now but will help us in the long run with the top pick. Just really, really bad tasting medicine.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 02:27 PM
znk

I find it a lot more enjoyable to miss the playoffs with a top 3 pick then with a 15th pick. I'd feel empty if we missed the playoffs by a couple of points. But right now I cant wait till Tuesday to see if we win the lottery.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 02:46 PM
Shadyone33

I think that I feel more unsure than anything. Once the whole management thing gets sorted out and the team has a direction again it'll be better. I'm excited for the draft lottery and the draft.

Shadyone33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 02:53 PM
Lshap

Truth is, I feel 'empty' in a different way every year after the last game is played. I felt empty and angry last year after losing to Boston in game-seven. I felt empty and sad after watching Philly put an end to our wondrous Halak-ian run in 2010. I felt empty and amazed when all the promise of 2008 went *poof*. And I felt empty and embarrassed after all those patchwork disasters in the late 90s and early 2000s, when our organization was twitching with knee-jerk trades like a headless chicken.

Geez - I even felt empty and wistful after each Stanley Cup win, as the last wisp of newspaper articles about the Habs melted away in the hot summer.

This year is something new for me as a Habs fan. Hockey's finished, but the Habs aren't. I am actually looking forward to an off-ice event: a top draft pick. For the first time I can remember, the blinders are off, the Cup is temporarily off the table, and the focus is on building through youth. It's refreshing, actually.

So, no, I don't feel empty, because rather than feeling like something's ended, it instead feels like something is just beginning.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 03:16 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargent Pepper View Post
That is entirely ridiculous. The players that will win for us in the future are nowhere near ready to compete at that level. Getting free agents will simply delay our development and probably kill another generation of kids.

what we need to do now is develop our talent. That takes time. Hiring free agents will prevent that development by giving the ice time to the high paid help instead of giving the ice time to developing future stars.

Enough with this stupidity of hiring free agents.....at least until our young players have developed and we are close to wining big.

Depends which free agents. It takes guys with character, like Eric Cole. Kids will not develop winning habits if they are sent out to sink like they did this year in the past month.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 03:19 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargent Pepper View Post
So your hypothesis is that we should continue to be a middle of the road team? Another tread on this board already established that Timmins is one of the best in this league for drafting. His picks makes it to the NHL more often than most other team.

By suggesting we should continue to try to squeak into the playoffs because we just might win one day is nonsense.

The definition of stupidity is to repeat the same actions and expect different results...

I am glad we sucked badly this year. For once, we will get a great draft pick and hopefully, it will translate into an all-star offensive player, something we been missing for a long long time....

Our first pick of the 2nd round will, by comparison, be close to what we typically draft (just a few spots behind). GREAT!
Your logic is not that good. If we had finished 8th in the East we would have drafted 15th. Our second round pick will be number 33. How is that "close"? It is only close if we had got to the Stanley Cup semi-finals again and drafted 27th, but then again if we had, no one would call the season a waste, would they?

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote