HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Pommers: Standards have to be higher

Old
04-07-2012, 10:54 AM
Taro Tsujimoto
2 Sam(my)s, 1 avatar

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Taro Tsujimoto
Pommers: Standards have to be higher

Quote:
Jason Pominville has 29 goals this season and has been in the top 10-20 scorers in the NHL all season. He thinks what has happened this year is unacceptable, “It’s frustrating, it sucks any word you can find it’s out there. I think the standards have to be higher around here, we have to find a way to be better. It’s unacceptable to be out in the position that we’re in right now and disappointing we came up short.” Pominville added, “We gave ourselves a chance, we lost a game in a tough way where we had the lead and ended up losing, but you can look at that game or you can look at games earlier on in the season. We’re probably going to pinpoint the one in Philly, but I don’t know if it’s fair to say because we win a couple of those games early on and we’re not even in this position and we’re not on the outside looking in.”

The next question of course is what does the Captain mean by the standards have to be higher? “Winning, we gotta win. Nobody wants to lose I mean it sucks, it’s not fun, the mood isn’t fun, everybody’s grumpy and it changed from a couple of days ago where everybody was in a great mood cause we still had a chance and now it’s just not good enough. I think we’ve got to expect more out of each other, we’ve got to push each other to be better and giving ourselves a chance to be in the top eight is where we want to be.”
http://wgr550.com/Pominville--The-st...round/12771979

Taro Tsujimoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:04 AM
sba

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taro Tsujimoto View Post
giving ourselves a chance to be in the top eight is where we want to be
No. Big shiny is where you want to be.

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:07 AM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

yeah this scrounging for a playoff spot is for the dogs. gotta get to a power house level and then big daddy warbucks can sustain it with his black tea.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:32 AM
Mike McDermott
blah blah blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
No. Big shiny is where you want to be.
can't win a race you aren't in

Mike McDermott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:40 AM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

WGR's standards also need to be higher. Holy punctuation nightmare, Batman.

Pommer's the only piece of the "Rochester core" who stepped up for most of the year. Of course, I still think he's more of a co-captain, not the firebrand leader this team needs. Still, nice to hear him call everyone out. I'll be interested to see which guys management decides to build this team around next year. Obviously Poms, Roy, Vanek, and Staff didn't cut it.

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:43 AM
Mike McDermott
blah blah blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post

Pommer's the only piece of the "Rochester core" who stepped up for most of the year. Of course, I still think he's more of a co-captain, not the firebrand leader this team needs. Still, nice to hear him call everyone out. I'll be interested to see which guys management decides to build this team around next year. Obviously Poms, Roy, Vanek, and Staff didn't cut it.
So Jason is the only piece that stepped up but he also didn't cut it? How exactly does that work?

Old
04-07-2012, 11:45 AM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McDermott View Post
So Jason is the only piece that stepped up but he also didn't cut it? How exactly does that work?
They didn't cut it collectively. If one person in a group steps up and the other three fail to pull their weight, that group failed. Unfairly or not, those four were tied together and will be judged as a whole.

Old
04-07-2012, 11:53 AM
Mike McDermott
blah blah blah

Quote:
They didn't cut it collectively. If one person in a group steps up and the other three fail to pull their weight, that group failed. Unfairly or not, those four were tied together and will be judged as a whole.
So by those standards if you are gold mining and 3 out of every 4 stones you pull up are fool's gold but 1 is real gold... the entire batch is worthless?

To be clear I'm not disagreeing that as a whole that group of 4 underachieved but that doesn't mean the Jason as an individual underachieved and he is hard to clump in with the others. He is 19th in the league in points and top 30 in assists and goals. He is also showing great strides into being the on ice leader the C on his chest shows he should be.

Yes the "core" needs some major retooling but Pommers isn't on that list in my opinion.

Old
04-07-2012, 12:01 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
Yes the "core" needs some major retooling but Pommers isn't on that list in my opinion.
Not even close to being on that list.

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 12:04 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
So by those standards if you are gold mining and 3 out of every 4 stones you pull up are fool's gold but 1 is real gold... the entire batch is worthless?

To be clear I'm not disagreeing that as a whole that group of 4 underachieved but that doesn't mean the Jason as an individual underachieved and he is hard to clump in with the others. He is 19th in the league in points and top 30 in assists and goals. He is also showing great strides into being the on ice leader the C on his chest shows he should be.

I never once indicated that I thought Pommer should be moved or that all four should be moved. I just stated that I think he's more of a co-leader, which means I'd like to see him more in an "advisory" role to the new core rather than the "leader." Tack some veterans onto the new core, sure, but let them take the reigns.

I think two of the "Rochester foursome" should be moved, though it may end up only being one. Pommer will obviously stay, and Stafford's resurgence with Ennis will get him more time. Roy and Vanek though are definite possibilities and valuable enough they could be used to make upgrades.

Old
04-07-2012, 12:11 PM
Sabresfansince1980

This is just another ambiguous comment that doesn't really tell us anything. I don't know that Pominville needs to publicly call out a teammate, but I'd love for once (if there were any area reporters that were good enough to dig this info out) for players to get specific about what parts of their game weren't good enough. Where was the breakdown and why did they happen? Is it attitude, is it lack of focus, lack of toughness or physicaslity, is it an inability to play along with the "system" or gameplan, is the system too hard to execute? What for christ's sake has been the main causes of their mediocre play?

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 12:29 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Agree with what he said, but so what.

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 12:38 PM
Royisgone

Pommer is an actual player on the actual team. He's on the inside, not looking in from the outside like us.

And he's saying "we have to have higher standards and players need to be better".

If that is a problem with the team, it actually falls squarely on the coach.

At this level, one of the primary functions of a head coach is to motivate his players one way or the other. They allpretty much know how to play hockey at this point.

Higher standards for this team means an immediate firing of Ruff. I think just about every other major league sports franchise in N. America would agree with me on that.

When you are the only person doing something out of 100 competitors, you are either a genius or really lost.

I see no shiny hardware with the Sabres name on it to show how clever we are as an organization, so I have to assume our "consistency and stability" approach has failed.

Time to do what every other team would do in sports: fire the coach.

Royisgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 12:40 PM
Dubi Doo

vCash: 2225
Captain obvious.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 12:46 PM
SoFFacet

Quote:

There are plenty of successful teams with captains who aren't "firebrand leaders," (Vancouver, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Chicago, etc). I think this team of passengers could have used someone more... forceful. But if Roy and Vanek are moved and veterans with greater mental fortitude are brought in, Poms as captain would be perfect.

Quote:
Only in the minds of certain fans. In reality they are entirely separate entities and are judged as such. Pommers stepped up while the other three folded.

SoFFacet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 06:11 PM
dlonce

Quote:

OT:What's up with Roy always falling? He falls two to three times per game. I mean he used to take dives but now he just spins and falls without anyone touching him.

Pominville has never been a favorite of mine, but I have to give him props. He plays very smart. He's one of the only guys who doesn't screw around with the puck, if he cannot make a safe pass out of his zone he dumps the puck out, which is the safe and correct play. Other guys like Roy, Vanek and, well, I can just about name the entire team, they believe they are all Gil Perraults who try to stick handle out of the zone when two guys are draped all over them and usually end up coughing the puck up.

I agree that he shouldn't be Captain, but he is a real smart player who had a good year and I will crow. He has won his way into my personal favorites category.

dlonce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 09:21 PM
SoFFacet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlonce View Post
OT:What's up with Roy always falling? He falls two to three times per game. I mean he used to take dives but now he just spins and falls without anyone touching him.

Pominville has never been a favorite of mine, but I have to give him props. He plays very smart. He's one of the only guys who doesn't screw around with the puck, if he cannot make a safe pass out of his zone he dumps the puck out, which is the safe and correct play. Other guys like Roy, Vanek and, well, I can just about name the entire team, they believe they are all Gil Perraults who try to stick handle out of the zone when two guys are draped all over them and usually end up coughing the puck up.

I agree that he shouldn't be Captain, but he is a real smart player who had a good year and I will crow. He has won his way into my personal favorites category.
He's the best and most important player on the team, he's reportedly the most vocal on the bench and in the room. So he doesn't hit very much - there are plenty of successful teams with captains fitting that description.

If not him, who? Someone else in from the core? Laughable. A youngster who hasn't earned it and looks up to Pominville? A veteran acquisition from outside, ala Rivet?

SoFFacet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 10:06 PM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFFacet View Post
He's the best and most important player on the team, he's reportedly the most vocal on the bench and in the room. So he doesn't hit very much - there are plenty of successful teams with captains fitting that description.

If not him, who? Someone else in from the core? Laughable. A youngster who hasn't earned it and looks up to Pominville? A veteran acquisition from outside, ala Rivet?
Pretty much this. Pommers is the clear choice for right now (meaning next season and maybe beyond) while we have the new core starting to come up the ranks.

Beyond that, I'd like to see Ehrhoff get an A next season.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 10:17 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamers View Post
Pretty much this. Pommers is the clear choice for right now (meaning next season and maybe beyond) while we have the new core starting to come up the ranks.

Beyond that, I'd like to see Ehrhoff get an A next season.
The chance is close to 0%, that IF Roy, Stafford, and Vanek stay with the team, one or more of them lose a letter. Stripping a letter is almost never done.... Almost. With Gaustad's "A" gone, they may just stay with 3 "A's".

ZZamboni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 10:56 PM
gallagt01

Pominville is a solid captain and a very good player.

I don't consider him part of the problem at all. He embodies everything you like in a hockey player.

If Vanek and Roy approached the game like he does on a consistent basis, they may not be on the outside right now.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 12:50 AM
zbubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabresfansince1980 View Post
This is just another ambiguous comment that doesn't really tell us anything. I don't know that Pominville needs to publicly call out a teammate, but I'd love for once (if there were any area reporters that were good enough to dig this info out) for players to get specific about what parts of their game weren't good enough. Where was the breakdown and why did they happen? Is it attitude, is it lack of focus, lack of toughness or physicaslity, is it an inability to play along with the "system" or gameplan, is the system too hard to execute? What for christ's sake has been the main causes of their mediocre play?
My honest opinion, is that there's not "one" main cause that's an answer leading to an easy fix. Maybe Poms answer sounds ambiguous because it's the truth. It's been part injuries, part chemistry, part complacency, part confidence, and part coaching. At times, some of those have been bigger factors than others, but never was it only one thing that could be easily fixed. Collectively, the result of the sum was far greater than the individual parts.

zbubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 01:42 AM
Flophound

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
The chance is close to 0%, that IF Roy, Stafford, and Vanek stay with the team, one or more of them lose a letter. Stripping a letter is almost never done.... Almost. With Gaustad's "A" gone, they may just stay with 3 "A's".
Yes, the chance is close to 0% If Roy, Vanek, and Stafford stay with the team. The chance that Roy, Vanek, and Stafford stay with the team Is close to 0% based on most of the comments on this board.

Flophound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 02:45 AM
zbubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flophound View Post
Yes, the chance is close to 0% If Roy, Vanek, and Stafford stay with the team. The chance that Roy, Vanek, and Stafford stay with the team Is close to 0% based on most of the comments on this board.
Eh, chance is also close to 0% that any comments on this board regarding players will be taken into consideration by the Sabres.

zbubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 01:53 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
The way people looked at the Sabres changed when they allowed Lucic and the Bruins to bully them. General Manager Darcy Regier and coach Lindy Ruff pulled players aside individually to ask them how and why it happened.

The lack of togetherness and camaraderie that got exposed translated into a failure to find continuity on the ice.

"It was just a matter of finding how we needed to play to win games," Leopold said. "It took us awhile to figure out how five, six guys on the ice are going to have to play to win hockey games. Once we figured that out we went on a run."
Quote:
"Overall, I thought it brought us closer, actually," forward Thomas Vanek said. "The worse thing that came out of it was Ryan was hurt. Obviously, when your starting goalie and one of the best goalies in the world is out, it hurts your team."
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sa...icle800141.ece

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote