HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Where will Randy Cunneyworth be next year?

Old
04-08-2012, 01:09 PM
charlie

vCash: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
He'll be back behind an NHL bench in no time. Asst. for now. Head coach in a few years.
Kind of guy you want around the players.
Great personality and attitude.
I hope he stays in Montreal.

charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 01:37 PM
Kriss E

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
Many of our young guys liked him in Hamilton and praised him for helping them out. He's not all bad.

Don't want him back as Habs coach, but as Bulldogs coach, why not? Not sure I want Clement Jodoin developing our best prospects next year!
Ya, perhaps, but I wonder, what would they be learning exactly? What do you learn from a dump&chase style? To skate hard? Not sure I'm interested in our prospects essentially learning close to nothing.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 01:43 PM
Craig71

If RC is not brought back, there should be a major protest at the Bell center. He was a gap filler, he was a fourth liner when he played and he was a fourth line coach in terms of talent. Thanks RC for all you did(nt) do.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 01:47 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Ya, perhaps, but I wonder, what would they be learning exactly? What do you learn from a dump&chase style? To skate hard? Not sure I'm interested in our prospects essentially learning close to nothing.
Rochester churned out more quality prospects for the Sabres when he was there than Hamilton ever has for us.

I get that you don't like the guy, but you're taking it a bit too far.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 01:48 PM
Craig71

Quote:
They were learning to do what it took to stay in the AHL. He should know, he coached there for 8 years.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 01:56 PM
BigHab*

I find this to be a very juvenile, speculative question. More like a waste of board space, imo.

BigHab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 01:58 PM
charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHab View Post
I find this to be a very juvenile, speculative question. More like a waste of board space, imo.
kinda like your reply

Old
04-08-2012, 02:02 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
Rochester churned out more quality prospects for the Sabres when he was there than Hamilton ever has for us.

I get that you don't like the guy, but you're taking it a bit too far.
So, I'm just asking, what would they be learning? He did quite a poor job here. The main argument I've read from guys that defended him is that he kept guys going hard. Hard enough to finish 28th. So, I'm really just curious, what is it that they would learn? And is he really the best guy to have in AHL?

Enough with hiring average-decent men. We have to hire the best guys.
The era of mediocrity has hopefully ended with the departure of Gainey-Gauthier, time to hire the best guys, reestablish the solid reputation of this organization.
If RC is the best man to have in Hamilton, then alright, but after seeing him here, I have a hard time believing he'd be it.

Old
04-08-2012, 02:03 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Molson gave him and his family a ticket to anywhere in the world for a vacation so I'm guessing Amsterdam. Once he gets there he'll never leave.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 02:09 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
So, I'm just asking, what would they be learning? He did quite a poor job here. The main argument I've read from guys that defended him is that he kept guys going hard. Hard enough to finish 28th. So, I'm really just curious, what is it that they would learn? And is he really the best guy to have in AHL?

The era of mediocrity has hopefully ended with the departure of Gainey-Gauthier, time to hire the best guys, reestablish the solid reputation of this organization.
If RC is the best man to have in Hamilton, then alright, but after seeing him here, I have a hard time believing he'd be it.
Well, what did Vanek, Miller, Pominville, Roy, Gaustad, Booth, MacArthur, (Brian) Campbell, Tallinder, Thorburn, (Greg) Campbell, Paille, Stafford, Sekera, Kaleta and other players with stints in the NHL learn from him?

I guess the track record speaks more than the speculative abilities people want to give or take from him. He might not be a great coach, but he's certainly not your AHL bench warmer.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 02:14 PM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

He got the dogs to the western conference Finals in his one and only year, first in their division, and a 44-27-2-7 record. and second least goals against...he did well in hamilton

Kingbobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 02:17 PM
charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Molson gave him and his family a ticket to anywhere in the world for a vacation so I'm guessing Amsterdam. Once he gets there he'll never leave.
Was it a one-way ticket........

Old
04-08-2012, 02:51 PM
Joe Lamb

[QUOTE= (I reallyI know that in the ROC, hammering on the French usually sells copies and generates "clicks" but Quebecois are, in general, open-minded; one can appreciate small gestures and little signs of respect (what Cunneyworth did was perfect imo) without being intolerant.

Cheers.[/QUOTE]

And this is my experience also.Although my French is much poorer than during my university days in Montreal (necessaire pour parler avec les jeunes filles la) I retain just enough to speak poorly in my field and follow Habs games on RDS.

What I was referring to was the month-long fairly constant bombardment in the english speaking media ( both Canada and US ) - all negative.Newspaper articles,
talkshows and radio sports talkshows on both sides of the border itemized every management misstep , controversial move and player weakness , repeatedly.While this is expected in the local market ,suddenly this organization was being ridiculed and mocked in every part of North America and beyond.The Montreal Canadien brand took a big hit , in my opinion , and the team has a huge obstacle to overcome which
may cost them sponsorships and sales in the future.But in the short term , the damage was to team psyche and respect.I am sure it dropped to Houle-era levels . Holding a team together during times like that are difficult,it can be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

So, what to do.The first step is to hire a team president , ASAP . Molson's work during this fiasco clearly shows he is not the man for the job. I have little respect for Boivin but he would have handled this situation much better. I know Serge Savard is a busy man , but we need you or someone of your stature . GM and coach to follow , I'm tired of rookies but character and respect are critical qualities that are needed to repair the status of this great organization.

And for Randy Cunneyworth . Good luck in future endeavours but you need a change.
Other teams have noticed what you done under these circumstances and I expect a head coaching job in the AHL or as an assistant in the NHL will be in your immediate future.I believe Cunneyworth will get another shot as head coach in the NHL but it may take a few years for it to happen.

So , with a few changes ( > 20 goal LW for Plec and Gio , 1 more physical D ) and everybody healthy we will be as Viggo said " Back next year stronger than ever ".

Joe Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 04:10 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie View Post
Was it a one-way ticket........
People I met over there had a tendencey to get there and uh... stay for a while.

Just locked in a backpacker's hostel watching the world go by... months on end. RC can use some of that.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 04:21 PM
BigHab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie View Post
kinda like your reply
Is that the best you can do? This kind of speculation is totally meaningless. It's a question that a 10 year old would ask.

BigHab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 04:34 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
People I met over there had a tendencey to get there and uh... stay for a while.

Just locked in a backpacker's hostel watching the world go by... months on end. RC can use some of that.
as of jan 1st, no more ''watching the world'' go by.

google; amsterdam tourist banned

sad, so sad

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 04:57 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
Well, what did Vanek, Miller, Pominville, Roy, Gaustad, Booth, MacArthur, (Brian) Campbell, Tallinder, Thorburn, (Greg) Campbell, Paille, Stafford, Sekera, Kaleta and other players with stints in the NHL learn from him?

I guess the track record speaks more than the speculative abilities people want to give or take from him. He might not be a great coach, but he's certainly not your AHL bench warmer.
So maybe the Sabres can fire Ruff and put Cunneyworth in place.

I'm not speculating anything. I'm asking, after watching him this year, what would you say he teaches?
I mean, I'm pretty sure if Martin was around, you'd say he teaches defensive tactics, and wants discipline. So, what would you say RC brings? A good work ethic? What?

I'm not denying he's had success, there's a reason why he was considered as the next minor coach to graduate to the big league. But how does someone who's apparently so good in the AHL ends up being so bad in the NHL?

Last edited by Kriss E: 04-08-2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old
04-08-2012, 05:32 PM
Andy

I feel bad for whatever team picks him up. His system of dump and chase as well as chiipping it off the glass sucks. He is also incredibly stubborn.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 06:13 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Somewhere other than Montreal, ruining his new team's power play.

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 06:24 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
So maybe the Sabres can fire Ruff and put Cunneyworth in place.

I'm not speculating anything. I'm asking, after watching him this year, what would you say he teaches?
I mean, I'm pretty sure if Martin was around, you'd say he teaches defensive tactics, and wants discipline. So, what would you say RC brings? A good work ethic? What?

I'm not denying he's had success, there's a reason why he was considered as the next minor coach to graduate to the big league. But how does someone who's apparently so good in the AHL ends up being so bad in the NHL?
He could be a perfectly good developmental coach with no ability to handle NHL level bench management or tactics.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 06:49 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyFischer View Post
Must you be as puerile as Adamcrazy3? His wisecrack was too inane to rate repetition, much less applause.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 06:56 PM
HABitual Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
He could be a perfectly good developmental coach with no ability to handle NHL level bench management or tactics.
Despite the lovefest around here for Guy Boucher and the style he had the players in Hamilton playing, there is a reason he was allowed to leave so easily with his entire coaching staff. You don't want a coach like that preparing your AHL players for the NHL, you want a coach like Cunneyworth who made sure in Rochester to play exactly the same style as the NHL club so the players when called up could be slotted right in. People wonder why Martin had such a hard time with the young players and was hesitant to play them, compare how guys like Pacioretty fit in after time with Cunneyworth as opposed to those developed by Boucher. I am sure that if Boucher were head coach in Montreal, an experienced coach like Cunneyworth would be capable of having Hamilton play whatever style was being played with the NHL team. The younger coaches looking to climb the ladder, like Eakins with the Marlies, Boucher in Hamilton would not. This is also why it is a mistake to hire these young coaches straight fromthe Q as head coach in Hamilton, instead of as an assistant coach with the big club like Pascal Vincent in Winnipeg. If they can follow the style of the NHL coach, only then do you give them the responsibility of developing your prospects into NHLers.

HABitual Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 02:35 AM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
I'm certain that behind some closed door in East End Montreal some Separatists are drinking 30 years old stubbies of DOW Ale celebrating some victory of Franco over Anglo. but in 2012... it's useless & un-Necessary.

Cunneyworth made history , he was thrown to the dogs, the Habs finished the season & WOW! The world didn't end.

I really feel bad how this great hockey man was treated & Montrealer's who consider themselves not Canadian! But just human should applaud this man for taking on an impossible task , not backing down & fighting along side with you all, for something worth fighting for...Montreal.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 04:10 AM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPac67 View Post
I'm certain that behind some closed door in East End Montreal some Separatists are drinking 30 years old stubbies of DOW Ale celebrating some victory of Franco over Anglo. but in 2012... it's useless & un-Necessary.

Cunneyworth made history , he was thrown to the dogs, the Habs finished the season & WOW! The world didn't end.

I really feel bad how this great hockey man was treated & Montrealer's who consider themselves not Canadian! But just human should applaud this man for taking on an impossible task , not backing down & fighting along side with you all, for something worth fighting for...Montreal.
EDIT:

The Gazette.
http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...112/story.html

Old
04-09-2012, 04:11 AM
Player 61
#Winning

Like I posted above about the man & the Gazette article... Class!