HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Kevin Cheveldayoff destined for NHL, comments on Isles gm opening.

Closed Thread

Old
03-02-2006, 02:58 AM
NYIsles1*

vCash: 500
Kevin Cheveldayoff destined for NHL, comments on Isles gm opening.

Blitz-You may want to add him to your thread on possible gm choices, good background article.

For those older fans Cheveldayoff is a former Islander draft pick and has ties to Goring from his days in the IHL. If I'm correct he was mentioned in gamethread against Montreal or another thread as being at the Coliseum.

http://winnipegsun.com/Sports/Hockey/2006/03/02/1469087-sun.html
Cheveldayoff destined for NHL

"The chance will come, there's no doubt about it," Atlanta Thrashers GM Don Waddell said in a telephone interview earlier this week. "All you have to do is look at his history in hockey. We all dream of having that success. Kevin is a good hockey man but, more importantly, he's a good person and good people will get through the bad times."

With a GM opening with the Islanders, Cheveldayoff looks like a logical fit.

"Certainly I've thought about it," said Cheveldayoff, who took the Wolves job when he was 27. "But I just have to sit back and look at how this opportunity (with the Wolves) came up. It wasn't something I went after, they came after me. If there's an opportunity that comes up, I'm going to look at it. I'm in the industry to be at the top."

Old
03-02-2006, 03:32 AM
Refuse
Mr. Hockey

I actually thought Cheveldayoff was a play with words thing with Tim Cheveldae and having a day off. For Isles fans lets hope Cheveldayoff doesn't take a day off every now and then.

Old
03-02-2006, 07:49 AM
tool123

I do think there is a high chance he will be hired in the organization. At what position, I dont know. I recently said I saw him at a Bridgeport Soundtiger game, probably scoping out the teams prospects to get a better look.

Old
03-02-2006, 08:12 AM
edallas

I still think they are strongly thinking of Brent Sutter because they are waiting for his season to end to interview him! I just don't want Milbury doing "anything" in the meantime.

Old
03-02-2006, 08:20 AM
MattyW

Quote:
Originally Posted by edallas
I still think they are strongly thinking of Brent Sutter because they are waiting for his season to end to interview him! I just don't want Milbury doing "anything" in the meantime.
Interestingly enough, Sutter's team in Red Deer is in last place which doesn't fill me with confidence either. (EDIT: they are actually the worst team in the entire WHL)

I don't know much about Cheveldayoff, but he's a bit of an unknown and maybe would be better being hired as a scout or something and we go with the more qualified candidates like Tambelleni or Lombardi.

Last edited by MattyW: 03-02-2006 at 09:13 AM.
Old
03-02-2006, 06:14 PM
KH1

I don't know if I'm alone on this one, but I'm not thrilled about Cheveldayoff and Goring running the Islanders. I'd really like somebody with a track record rebuilding a team (if it comes to that, which it likely will.) And if we're going to go and bring Goring back, why not just keep Shaw as coach?

Old
03-02-2006, 06:23 PM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henry I
I don't know if I'm alone on this one, but I'm not thrilled about Cheveldayoff and Goring running the Islanders. I'd really like somebody with a track record rebuilding a team (if it comes to that, which it likely will.) And if we're going to go and bring Goring back, why not just keep Shaw as coach?
KH - these people like Goring, Cheveldayoff, etc. have a very good reason in expressing interest in the Isles GM job.

(1) it's currently the only GM job VACANT while the season is currently being played. That's called getting noticed by throwing your hat in the ring. If not, there, who else maybe be vacant in future. if not their GM, maybe their scout and work my way up.

(2) NYI's choices are Tambellini and Lombardi. Unless NYI pull off the coup de etat of hockey in the next 2-3 months, you will not see Sutter in the NHL.

(3) Going with an inexperienced person is not a good thing for the Isles. If these people want in so bad, then they should be brought in as assistants or scouts.

Old
03-02-2006, 07:53 PM
LetsGoIslanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs
KH - these people like Goring, Cheveldayoff, etc. have a very good reason in expressing interest in the Isles GM job.

(1) it's currently the only GM job VACANT while the season is currently being played. That's called getting noticed by throwing your hat in the ring. If not, there, who else maybe be vacant in future. if not their GM, maybe their scout and work my way up.

(2) NYI's choices are Tambellini and Lombardi. Unless NYI pull off the coup de etat of hockey in the next 2-3 months, you will not see Sutter in the NHL.

(3) Going with an inexperienced person is not a good thing for the Isles. If these people want in so bad, then they should be brought in as assistants or scouts.
1) If Cheveldayoff was scouting a BST game he was probably doing his homework in preparation for an interview somewhere in the org.

Closed Thread