HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chris Conner

Old
04-08-2012, 01:20 PM
joe89

vCash: 500
Chris Conner

Ansar Khan @AnsarKhanMLive
Wings have recalled forward Chris Conner from Grand Rapids.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 01:42 PM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

Very good move for the Wings' depth going into the playoffs. Similar to Helm, he has speed and doesn't stop competing. He creates chances solely with his pace. He also has experience, which we need.

Emmerton won't get the job done and this move proves that the Wings don't trust him completely with that job. He doesn't PK, doesn't play on the PP and has no assets that standout.

ProPAIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 01:48 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Great news. Now just get Helm back and get rid of Emmerton and the bottom six looks much better.

WingedWheel1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 02:00 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 545
Awesome move Kenny.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 03:03 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPAIN View Post
Very good move for the Wings' depth going into the playoffs. Similar to Helm, he has speed and doesn't stop competing. He creates chances solely with his pace. He also has experience, which we need.

Emmerton won't get the job done and this move proves that the Wings don't trust him completely with that job. He doesn't PK, doesn't play on the PP and has no assets that standout.
Emmerton actually did play big PK mins yesterday. With that being said I like the addition of Conner, he brings speed and a great work ethic to the big club. So I'm happy for him.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 03:21 PM
winger7020

If i were this guy i would go get a try out with another team next year. Maybe they will value his tenacity and grit more than this organization.

winger7020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 04:19 PM
Kiddington
heehats

I can't believe it took them this long to finally come to the conclusion that Conner is better than Emmerton. I guess they wanted to give the kid as long a look as they possibly could, but man, the writing was on the wall in regards to his future back in December (IE he HAS NONE).

So assuming Helm isn't back by Game 1, who's going to play center on the 4th line? Miller? Move Flip down to the 3rd, Abdelkader down to the 4th? Or just stick with Emmerton anyway? Some interesting decisions on the way here.

Kiddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 04:51 PM
SirKillalot

vCash: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddington View Post
I can't believe it took them this long to finally come to the conclusion that Conner is better than Emmerton. I guess they wanted to give the kid as long a look as they possibly could, but man, the writing was on the wall in regards to his future back in December (IE he HAS NONE).

So assuming Helm isn't back by Game 1, who's going to play center on the 4th line? Miller? Move Flip down to the 3rd, Abdelkader down to the 4th? Or just stick with Emmerton anyway? Some interesting decisions on the way here.
I think it was some waivers-issues?

SirKillalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 05:09 PM
ZetterBurger

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger7020 View Post
If i were this guy i would go get a try out with another team next year. Maybe they will value his tenacity and grit more than this organization.
I think it's pretty obvious that Conner wasn't used a whole lot this year because of the risk of losing him, or someone else to waivers. He could have a bottom six role on this team next year and I wouldn't be surprised if he did. I think they used him just fine.

ZetterBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 07:23 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

Here's what I would do when Helm is back.

Gus-Pav-Mule
Huds-Z-Fil
Miller-Helm-Bert
Cleary-Gator-Homer.
(Mursak, Emmerton, Conner)

-I normally hate Abdelkader as a C but he's still better than Emmerton.
-I'd like to fit Conner in somewhere but realistically Babs will not sit Gator and Cleary, barring injury.

While Helm is still out though maybe put Conner in for Emmerton give Fil his on line and makes Abs 4th line C.

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 10:34 PM
Kiddington
heehats

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirKillalot View Post
Yeah, probably. I guess I could understand not wanting to expose Emmerton to waivers (even though it was pretty much predicted from the start he wouldn't be anything more than a plug at best).

They've basically had 70 games or so (around the amount he's played) to look him over and analyze what he brings, and it's as clear as day that he brings a whole lot of nothing. He's slow, soft, weak on draws, doesn't kill penalties... basically he's the antithesis of what a good 4th line center should be. If he's actually playing in Game 1 - especially now with Conner being called up - then I just don't know anymore.

Kiddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 06:15 AM
14ari13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirKillalot View Post
Maybe. I do not know those rules. Fugu does, I guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRep TheWingedWheel View Post
Here's what I would do when Helm is back.

Gus-Pav-Mule
Huds-Z-Fil
Miller-Helm-Bert
Cleary-Gator-Homer.
(Mursak, Emmerton, Conner)

-I normally hate Abdelkader as a C but he's still better than Emmerton.
-I'd like to fit Conner in somewhere but realistically Babs will not sit Gator and Cleary, barring injury.

While Helm is still out though maybe put Conner in for Emmerton give Fil his on line and makes Abs 4th line C.
Conner has to get a spot.

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 10:04 AM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ari13 View Post
Conner has to get a spot.
Ya but who sits then? Miller?

I cannot see Babs' sitting Homer or his BFFs Abdelkader and Cleary.

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 10:37 AM
Henkka

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRep TheWingedWheel View Post
Ya but who sits then? Miller?

I cannot see Babs' sitting Homer or his BFFs Abdelkader and Cleary.
Cleary sits because of the knee.

Henkka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 02:49 PM
The Silver Lining

vCash: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post

The Silver Lining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 07:07 PM
Z40
High Compete Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
I seriously hope so. Conner has incredible speed we could definitely use in the absence of Helm.

Z40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 10:17 PM
GentlemanMasher*
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPAIN View Post

Emmerton kills penalties. Granted it looks like his PK time's been lowered but he's still out there mostly with Abby I've noticed. That said, Connor needs to be up. Ever since the first shift I saw him play I saw something in him. He just creates opportunities or at the very least makes himself a nightmare for the other team to play against. That's exactly what we need.

The snobbiest fans of all have to be the internet marks who think they know everything, and Emmerton takes way too much grief around here. But he is better on paper than he is on the ice. Not by as much as we think but still. Connor is the opposite. He's better on the ice, infinitely better, than he is on paper. It's not about looking pretty or scaring opponents with resumes. It's about play on the ice. And Nashville should and will be more scared of the Helm/Connor combo than Emmerton/any other bottom six player combo.

GentlemanMasher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 05:00 AM
Henkka

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by GentlemanMasher View Post
Emmerton kills penalties. Granted it looks like his PK time's been lowered but he's still out there mostly with Abby I've noticed. That said, Connor needs to be up. Ever since the first shift I saw him play I saw something in him. He just creates opportunities or at the very least makes himself a nightmare for the other team to play against. That's exactly what we need.

The snobbiest fans of all have to be the internet marks who think they know everything, and Emmerton takes way too much grief around here. But he is better on paper than he is on the ice. Not by as much as we think but still. Connor is the opposite. He's better on the ice, infinitely better, than he is on paper. It's not about looking pretty or scaring opponents with resumes. It's about play on the ice. And Nashville should and will be more scared of the Helm/Connor combo than Emmerton/any other bottom six player combo.
Emmerton has been on the penalty kill lately. But when Helm comes back, he is out of the lineup. Abdelkader will be the 4th line center and Helm will eat Cory's PK time.

Henkka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 07:38 AM
Unsportsmanlike
Marc Madsen

Because of the lack of centre depth without Helm in the line up I would imagine the Wings are going to go with the following line up for Game 1:
Bertuzzi - Datsyuk - Franzen
Filppula - Zetterberg - Hudler
Cleary - Abdelkader - Miller
Nyquist - Emmerton - Holmstrom
Connor
Personally, I'd rather see Bertuzzi drop down onto the 3rd line and elevate Nyquist to line one (sliding Cleary/Miller to line four). But who knows, Babcock will probably juggle during the game.

Once Helm returns I would be shocked if the Wings don't go with:
Miller - Helm - Cleary
Connor - Abdelkader - Holmstrom
With Nyquist being the injury replacement. Obviously I'd like to see Nyquist in the line up but he's just not that effective in the bottom six. He's still young and hasn't gotten his man strength yet to grind. If he can fit in the top six than I'd say he's in. I just don't think he's experienced enough for Babcock to give that slot to him

Unsportsmanlike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 07:49 AM
Vladimir16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsportsmanlike View Post
Once Helm returns I would be shocked if the Wings don't go with:
Miller - Helm - Cleary
Connor - Abdelkader - Holmstrom
With Nyquist being the injury replacement. Obviously I'd like to see Nyquist in the line up but he's just not that effective in the bottom six. He's still young and hasn't gotten his man strength yet to grind. If he can fit in the top six than I'd say he's in. I just don't think he's experienced enough for Babcock to give that slot to him
I would like to see this. And if/when Cleary has to sit Ny could be plugged in there.

Vladimir16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 08:20 AM
Unsportsmanlike
Marc Madsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladimir16 View Post
I would like to see this. And if/when Cleary has to sit Ny could be plugged in there.
Exactly. To me it will all depend on the health of Cleary and Bertuzzi who seem to be the most banged up (aside from a recovering Helm). For me, Nyquist has to play in the top 6 or he isn't quite as useful. If Cleary or Bertuzzi can't go you plug Nyquist in.

Unsportsmanlike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 12:32 PM
Crymson
Fire Holland

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post
Emmerton actually did play big PK mins yesterday. With that being said I like the addition of Conner, he brings speed and a great work ethic to the big club. So I'm happy for him.
Emmerton completely blew coverage on Sharp's goal. For the third time in four important games, he decided that watching the puck was a better idea than was being aware of to whom the puck might be passed.

I think the kid is just not very smart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddington View Post
How often need it be said that Emmerton is a center and Connor is not? Short of pulling down Filppula or Zetterberg to center the 3rd line and bumping Abdelkader to the 4th, the 4th line would lack a center were Emmerton to be removed from the lineup. It's true that Abdelkader could have been bumped to the 4th line while Helm was in the lineup, but remember that the line of 20 - 43 - 8 was very effective for a long stretch.

Crymson is offline   Reply With Quote