HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vermette

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-23-2012, 12:56 PM
  #1
hbk
Registered User
 
hbk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,778
vCash: 500
Vermette

15 GP 2 G 5 A 7 PTS +2
44 HITS
Ranked 8th overall in Faceoffs

On the point fantasy show this morning the hosts were glowing on the recent play of Vermette (especially on the hits and faceoffs and recent offensive numbers).

He's almost matched his hit output in Phoenix to what he put up this season in Columbus (66 hits in 60 games in CBJ versus 44 hits in 15 games in PHX). Dave Tippett player? He seems to play much better under tight defensive systems as his best offensive season came under Hitchcock.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 01:03 PM
  #2
MP
Registered User
 
MP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,978
vCash: 500
I like him. I'd like him better if his scoring pace was above .5 PPG, if only by a little, but he's probably there already if you take away those first few games with the team. And it's hard to complain about 44 hits in 15 GP, plus ranking 8th overall in face-offs. He could take some of the burden off Hanzal, in the long run.

MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 01:11 PM
  #3
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 42,538
vCash: 500
I've been blown away by the effort he has put into trying to match the physical play of the team around him. Also, his stick is so good at getting in the way of the puck in the defensive zone. Guy erases chances and picks pockets really well. We expected him to be good defensively and to be one of the leagues best face off men. The hits, though, have been a huge surprise.

The question mark coming in was his offense. If you remember how snake bit he was in his first several games with all the posts and disallowed goals, all signs are positive about his being a solid offensive contributor to this team.

Vermette+Brule+Rundblad>>>Turris

__________________
This poster should not be taken seriously under any circumstances.
rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 01:14 PM
  #4
hbk
Registered User
 
hbk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,778
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I've been blown away by the effort he has put into trying to match the physical play of the team around him. Also, his stick is so good at getting in the way of the puck in the defensive zone. Guy erases chances and picks pockets really well. We expected him to be good defensively and to be one of the leagues best face off men. The hits, though, have been a huge surprise.

The question mark coming in was his offense. If you remember how snake bit he was in his first several games with all the posts and disallowed goals, all signs are positive about his being a solid offensive contributor to this team.

Vermette+Brule+Rundblad>>>Turris
Vermette has already doubled Turris's hit total on the season in his 15 games as a Coyote.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 01:20 PM
  #5
MP
Registered User
 
MP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,978
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I've been blown away by the effort he has put into trying to match the physical play of the team around him.
Makes you think he's really "bought in" here, doesn't it?

Quote:
Turris
Whozzat?

MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 01:58 PM
  #6
PHX FireBirds18
Registered User
 
PHX FireBirds18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 2,915
vCash: 500
Vermette has been excellent the last few games. Looking like a physical Lombardi out there. Very happy with his play. The speed is much more noticeable.

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 02:12 PM
  #7
mitch27
Registered User
 
mitch27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,360
vCash: 500
Loved this trade when it happened, love it even more now. He's been awesome.

Vermette alone>>>>>Turris

mitch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 02:16 PM
  #8
Sindiggy
Go Desert Dogs
 
Sindiggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Chandler, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 2,724
vCash: 500
Agreed, last several games Vermette has been very good and the hits are a very nice addition...he's certainly a Tipp type player.

Sindiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 02:34 PM
  #9
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: Jamaica
Posts: 1,265
vCash: 500
I like him. He hasn't scored a bunch of goals (still waiting to see one at home!) but he's always where he needs to be and he's had a lot of oh-so-close opportunities.

Plus, he's a pretty nice guy. I met him last week and as soon as I said bonjour he immediately knew who I was - 'the one with the posters in French!'

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 02:36 PM
  #10
mitch27
Registered User
 
mitch27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frackiewicz View Post
I like him. He hasn't scored a bunch of goals (still waiting to see one at home!) but he's always where he needs to be and he's had a lot of oh-so-close opportunities.

Plus, he's a pretty nice guy. I met him last week and as soon as I said bonjour he immediately knew who I was - 'the one with the posters in French!'
That's awesome, thanks for sharing that!

mitch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 02:44 PM
  #11
awfulwaffle
Registered User
 
awfulwaffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 6,574
vCash: 500
He has definatelly grown on me. I even suggested just benching him a game, but I was WAY WRONG on that, and I'm not afraid to admit it! That's why I'm just a fan and not paid to make the decisions.

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 03:12 PM
  #12
Sceva Sct
on the edge
 
Sceva Sct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: limbo
Posts: 1,697
vCash: 500
He's pleasantly surprised me to this point, but my biggest concern when we picked him up is his post season play up to this point so ultimately I'm reserving judgement until we reach that point. That said, we've had some pressure filled games lately and for the most part he's continued playing well so that's help alleviate some of my concerns for now.

Sceva Sct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 05:13 PM
  #13
okiepig
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: East of the Kaluts
Country: United States
Posts: 159
vCash: 500
Vermette is certainly a defensibly responsible player as I figured him to be, but his hitting is better than I expected.. He and Korpikoski seem to work together but it's still not translating to goals, maybe he is just pressing or something...

okiepig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 03:32 AM
  #14
XX
SOS
 
XX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: 48th State
Country: United States
Posts: 27,720
vCash: 500
Had the best game of his Coyote stint so far, in my opinion. Smart play all around and was physical. Two primary assists in one of the biggest games of the year, with one being a blocked shot, ain't bad.

XX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 04:03 AM
  #15
awfulwaffle
Registered User
 
awfulwaffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 6,574
vCash: 500
Amazing addition. I had my doubts earlier, but honestly I wish I would have never said anything. I take all my bad words back. He makes opportunities in the offensive zone, but more importantly I've noticed him in the defensive zone. When I think of Vermette, it's not his faceoffs or offensive play, but it's defensive play. He fits in this system, and he will only grow. I'm excited for the future with him on this team.

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 08:53 AM
  #16
moosemeister
Registered User
 
moosemeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Tempe, Arizona
Posts: 1,277
vCash: 500
not only that, the guy throws a pretty solid hit

moosemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 09:46 AM
  #17
Guest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 5,265
vCash: 500
Some guys jump to a new team and explode off the excitement (i.e. Turris or Stempniak), while others are slow to find their role but eventually settle in. I am glad to see that Vermette has settled into his role with the team, and it likely means that we will continue to see this level of play on his variable. I always say it's not how something starts, it's how it ends that counts.

Stempniak was awesome after the deadline that year and never did much more after that. Wolski was about the same that same deadline. Guys like Klesla and Vermette were different because they came with a contract, but I see them fitting in with the team better and being longer lasting contributors.

Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 09:49 AM
  #18
DangleAngle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chandler
Country: United States
Posts: 174
vCash: 500
To be honest, I have been a little disappointed in Vermette. To be fair, I hadn't really watched him play before we traded for him. Based upon how some described his skating ability, I had hoped for a center who really liked to carry the puck into the offensive zone and lead the charge. He is definitely not that kind of player. He does not look that comfortable carrying the puck. I can see why Columbus tried to play him at left wing. Besides his ability to win faceoffs, I think wing is more of a natural position for him. He also has somewhat of a unique skating style. He reminds me a bit of Jeff Skinner in how he skates (both almost have a figure skating type of style).

That being said, I do think he plays hard, is good in the circle, has above-average hands, is an above-average passer, and has pretty good finishing ability around the net. He just isn't what I had expected when I heard we had acquired a top-line center. Again, I had hoped for a guy that really liked to carry the puck and create with his skating ability.

All that being said, I think last night (against St. Louis) was his best game since being traded. He looked more comfortable out there, and I loved the creativity when he attempted that spin-o-rama play.

DangleAngle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:39 AM
  #19
okiepig
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: East of the Kaluts
Country: United States
Posts: 159
vCash: 500
That Whitney like feed to Shane was exactly what he has to contribute to the team.
.. he held up, opened up some ice, created the passing lane and let the play set up before he made the pass that was actually the goal.
Watch him work the crease on the power play or 5 on 5 - he gets the hell beat out of himself sacrificing the body like with that blocked shot that set up Bodker's breakaway every damn game.
Yeah, he should have a few more goals like those he piped the first couple of games and an occasional denied goal, but it's not like the league doesn't know him and will adjust to his game, he is a natural Tippet player and will probably start getting on the scoreboard with more than just a couple of assists- I think he has upside- myself I would like to see him center Doan and Korpi, but whatever Tip decides is fine with me..

okiepig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 09:01 AM
  #20
Coyote Down Under
Registered User
 
Coyote Down Under's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Perth
Country: Australia
Posts: 77
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangleAngle View Post
To be honest, I have been a little disappointed in Vermette. To be fair, I hadn't really watched him play before we traded for him. Based upon how some described his skating ability, I had hoped for a center who really liked to carry the puck into the offensive zone and lead the charge. He is definitely not that kind of player. He does not look that comfortable carrying the puck. I can see why Columbus tried to play him at left wing. Besides his ability to win faceoffs, I think wing is more of a natural position for him. He also has somewhat of a unique skating style. He reminds me a bit of Jeff Skinner in how he skates (both almost have a figure skating type of style).

That being said, I do think he plays hard, is good in the circle, has above-average hands, is an above-average passer, and has pretty good finishing ability around the net. He just isn't what I had expected when I heard we had acquired a top-line center. Again, I had hoped for a guy that really liked to carry the puck and create with his skating ability.

All that being said, I think last night (against St. Louis) was his best game since being traded. He looked more comfortable out there, and I loved the creativity when he attempted that spin-o-rama play.
Agreed, you started off pretty negative but then came around. I feel the same, iwasn't that impressed and expected more, but he is starting to impress me more, and starting to gel more with the team...

Coyote Down Under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 03:22 PM
  #21
PHX FireBirds18
Registered User
 
PHX FireBirds18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 2,915
vCash: 500
I think we have yet to see our best hockey out of Vermette. Although I have no complaints at all about his recent play. Terrific in all 3 zones and putting up points. Somewhere in there I see another gear, but we might not see it until next season. Kind of like Klesla who has become such a huge part of this team.

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 07:59 PM
  #22
okiepig
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: East of the Kaluts
Country: United States
Posts: 159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX FireBirds18 View Post
I think we have yet to see our best hockey out of Vermette. Although I have no complaints at all about his recent play. Terrific in all 3 zones and putting up points. Somewhere in there I see another gear, but we might not see it until next season. Kind of like Klesla who has become such a huge part of this team.
Yeah down with that!!- take a game and just concentrate on the little things he does away from the puck, his creativity and overall toughness- sometimes he shows the creativity and ice vision of a Ray Whitney, I tend to believe that getting Antoine was another one of Don "Magic Man" Maloney's famous rabbit out of a hat tricks..
Ya got to hand it to Don, he can work with damn little and still find gems..the dude is obviously the best buyer at the horse show..
...what did he give up for a potential Vezina trophy candidate in signing Mike Smith?- hahaha..

okiepig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 01:04 AM
  #23
XX
SOS
 
XX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: 48th State
Country: United States
Posts: 27,720
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by okiepig View Post
...what did he give up for a potential Vezina trophy candidate in signing Mike Smith?- hahaha..
20% of what Bryzgalov signed for. 10 million vs 2

XX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 05:55 AM
  #24
DesertDawg
Registered User
 
DesertDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Superstition Mts
Posts: 4,660
vCash: 500
It's amazing how improve the roster is since camp!
I listen to the Tippet interview on channel 15. DT said he liked the depth the Coyotes have and even said that the Coyotes were 9 deep on "D"...
Vermette is such an improvement over that hold out...

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 08:17 PM
  #25
DangleAngle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chandler
Country: United States
Posts: 174
vCash: 500
The roster this year is much better than last year's roster.

Remember all those people that said Jovo was so valuable to the Coyotes' success? Uh, not really.

Getting rid of Jovo, Belanger, and Stempniak (who had become dead weight in his second year with the team) has been huge.

DangleAngle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:27 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.