HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ECQF: Rangers (1) vs Senators (8)

Closed Thread

Old
04-08-2012, 03:07 PM
trilobyte

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers4Life74 View Post
Rangers in 6.hit them hard and often and they wont want to carry the puck over the blue line in fear of getting destroyed by a Stralman hip check

seriously,pound their defense over and over.
That would be my wish as well. Spezza and friends get awfully razzle-dazzle when they have guys backing off them.
Plus, it would be nice to see a physical game established for the sheer joy of watching. Some big bodies on Ottawa, but so what. Rangers are better.

Old
04-08-2012, 03:13 PM
Ice Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipAyten View Post
I have a bad feeling about this series, Ottawa is an explosive team with the right amount of youth and experience. This is going to 7
if their goaltender heats up and they defend well, this is what i'm fearing. that it'll come down to a game 7 sudden death OT. please god don't let this happen. this team has made my hair gray enough.

Old
04-08-2012, 03:14 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylizer1 View Post
Karlsson has on 28 pp points as opposed to his 50 at even strength. Ottawa has the mindset that everyone wrote them off for making the playoffs and had them finishing last in the east. With a bunch of guys winning the Calder cup last year and carried that play into this season along with the experience of our vets I think we have a very good chance at pulling off an upset.

Analysts up here have been saying that the Rangers have been playing playoff style hockey all season long, is this true?

The biggest problem I think the Sens will have is with Lundqvist. Ottawa never seems to win those games when the other goalie stands on their head.
In a short series Karlsson can be a huge advantage for the Sens especially on the PP. I don't think his point totals (28 on the PP is a lot for a D) are indicative of what 4-6 points in a 7-game series on the PP can accomplish. Plus if he is getting point on the PP it means the Sens big guns are too and that spells offensive confidence and bad news for the Rangers.

Your Senators story sounds like the Rangers in the playoffs after the lockout. Picked to finish last, made it into the playoffs against the odds.

The Rangers play playoff hockey 90% of the time but like all teams had a stinker here or there. For the most part in the playoffs of recent memory the team has really stepped it up defensively and in goal but couldn't muster the offense necessary to score. If they do score 3 goals a game in this series it will be really difficult for the Sens to win (basing this on recent playoff performances by the Rangers). If the Sens score 3 goals a game and score first, I think they take the Rangers down (hopefully not).

Old
04-08-2012, 04:18 PM
Blueshirt Believer

As I said last night, the Rangers need to create an effective game plan against the Senators. They cannot win this series with an all out forecheck.

The Rangers put trenches in the neutral zone if they expect to win this series. If they can dominate the neutral zone, the Senators will never do anything in this series.

Old
04-08-2012, 04:20 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
As I said last night, the Rangers need to create an effective game plan against the Senators. They cannot win this series with an all out forecheck.

The Rangers put trenches in the neutral zone if they expect to win this series. If they can dominate the neutral zone, the Senators will never do anything in this series.
I really think this will be the key. You have to slow them down. Give them time and space, and they'll kill you. Rangers have to aggressive on the puck.

Old
04-08-2012, 04:26 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
I really think this will be the key. You have to slow them down. Give them time and space, and they'll kill you. Rangers have to aggressive on the puck.
Aggressive on their back check you mean? I agree with that, but they need to play with a soft forecheck.

They also need to work on their transition on the counter punch. I guarantee that the Sens are going to give up a ton of odd man rushes. Rangers need to bury those chances though.

Old
04-08-2012, 04:30 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Aggressive on their back check you mean? I agree with that, but they need to play with a soft forecheck.

They also need to work on their transition on the counter punch. I guarantee that the Sens are going to give up a ton of odd man rushes. Rangers need to bury those chances though.
Yep. I meant back check. Pressure the puck in the neutral and defensive zone. But they're going to need to forecheck and wear them down too.

And for the love of god...can they please at least get a shot on goal on a 2 on 1?

Old
04-08-2012, 04:34 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Yep. I meant back check. Pressure the puck in the neutral and defensive zone. But they're going to need to forecheck and wear them down too.

And for the love of god...can they please at least get a shot on goal on a 2 on 1?
I say any over aggressive forecheck is going to be the kiss of death of the Rangers in this series. Especially from guys like Boyle or Prust.

If they get caught down low in the offensive zone its going to be a disaster. Boyle needs to stay as the high man all series.

You may be able to get away with it occasionally with our second line once and a while.

Old
04-08-2012, 04:35 PM
Krams
what a time

vCash: 69
I'm not sure why everyone is scared. Andersen has been playing like **** lately. So have the Senators in general. They're a soft team, and they won't be difficult to intimidate. Sure, they have talent at the top with Spezza and Alfredsson and Karlsson. So do all teams in the playoffs.

We didn't play badly yesterday. For some reason Holtby played like an animal and Lundqvist sucked. Other than that, we dominated. Everybody take a deep, collective breath.

Old
04-08-2012, 04:37 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
I say any over aggressive forecheck is going to be the kiss of death of the Rangers in this series. Especially from guys like Boyle or Prust.

If they get caught down low in the offensive zone its going to be a disaster. Boyle needs to stay as the high man all series.

You may be able to get away with it occasionally with our second line once and a while.
That is definately going to play a big part in it. Our D, when pinching, will have to communicate better with the forwards so that they can cover them.

Basically...the polar opposite of the last Buffalo game.

Old
04-08-2012, 04:37 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissFreakinWatch View Post
I'm not sure why everyone is scared. Andersen has been playing like **** lately. So have the Senators in general. They're a soft team, and they won't be difficult to intimidate. Sure, they have talent at the top with Spezza and Alfredsson and Karlsson. So do all teams in the playoffs.

We didn't play badly yesterday. For some reason Holtby played like an animal and Lundqvist sucked. Other than that, we dominated. Everybody take a deep, collective breath.
The Senators are extremely beatable. They are not a scary team.

But the Rangers still have to create an intelligent game plan against them.

Old
04-08-2012, 04:39 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

This series is entirely up to the Rangers. If we play our game the way we can, this could be a sweep.

If we beat ourselves, Ottowa can and will take advantage.

Old
04-08-2012, 04:41 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
That is definately going to play a big part in it. Our D, when pinching, will have to communicate better with the forwards so that they can cover them.

Basically...the polar opposite of the last Buffalo game.
I say the Dmen should just stick to covering the half wall all series. I don't think they should pinch at all.

Honestly, Senators D is not that strong in the corners. So there really is no reason one or two of our wings can't retrieve the puck. Having our D jumping in on the forecheck is just overkill anyways against this team.

Old
04-08-2012, 04:44 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
I say the Dmen should just stick to covering the half wall all series. I don't think they should pinch at all.

Honestly, Senators D is not that strong in the corners. So there really is no reason one or two of our wings can't retrieve the puck. Having our D jumping in on the forecheck is just overkill anyways against this team.
Very true. Rangers should be able to outmuscle them in the corners without needing to have three forwards behind the goal line. (Which I cringe at every time I see it anyway.)

Sens have given up the most goals out of any playoff team, if I'm correct. If the Rangers lose, they beat themselves.

Old
04-08-2012, 04:48 PM
Victory*
We're Still In It

Guys, who cares? If we're the #1 seed and we can't beat our first round opponent, no matter who it is, then we don't deserve to be in the playoffs. No two ways around it. I see it as a tough first 3-4 games but we dominate them at the end of the series and win in 6.

Old
04-08-2012, 04:56 PM
coladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyday Im Hagelin View Post
I just **** a brick that was hilarious!

That Spartan vid?

Low blow...now it's on!

Old
04-08-2012, 04:57 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Very true. Rangers should be able to outmuscle them in the corners without needing to have three forwards behind the goal line. (Which I cringe at every time I see it anyway.)

Sens have given up the most goals out of any playoff team, if I'm correct. If the Rangers lose, they beat themselves.
Its why I believe this team needs another assistant on the bench as an offensive coordinator. Torts doesn't really know how to inject creativity into his own system.

Positionally the players are almost completely lost once they get the puck deep in the offensive zone.

They know how to retrieve it, but they don't have any idea what to do with it once they get it.

When they get behind the net they either:

a)All the forwards lineup at adjacent ends along the boards with no one in a position to either set up a play or shoot.

b) Drive way too close to the net where two forwards are just standing at the goal posts right next to the goalie. They aren't even establishing an effective screen if they puck is thrown back to the point for a shot. They are near the net for a rebound that will never come, unless you want the puck carrier to circle ALL the way around the perimeter for bad angle shot.

Honestly, if they had ONE guy in front of the net, and another guy set up in the gaps for either a shot or support they would get great scoring chances.

It seems to me Torts doesn't really assign offensive zone assignments to anyone. Team really needs guidance on what they are supposed to do in the offensive zone.

Old
04-08-2012, 05:04 PM
coladin

Quote:

You may beat us in the end, but we are far from a soft team. They will not be intimidated. Who is going to be intimidated? You are not the Bruins, far from it. It is your team defense and patience that wins hockey games. The Rangers capitalize on turnovers then shut it down. If Ottawa is going to win, they have to score first.

I think that the Rangers may win the series, but anything can happen. Ottawa has always played well against Hank. They have played well at MSG. I think you should respect your opponent and perhaps do some more research.

On my end, I am curious to see how Conn Smythe winner Brad Richards will affect this series.

Old
04-08-2012, 05:06 PM
Kershaw

We aren't the Bruins, you're correct on that one. We've played more physical than them this season. In the last match-up, we outhit them pretty badly. I don't think it's necessarily about size, but all our players are willing to take/make hits to open up plays and they have done it all season long.

Old
04-08-2012, 05:07 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by coladin View Post
You may beat us in the end, but we are far from a soft team. They will not be intimidated. Who is going to be intimidated? You are not the Bruins, far from it. It is your team defense and patience that wins hockey games. The Rangers capitalize on turnovers then shut it down. If Ottawa is going to win, they have to score first.

I think that the Rangers may win the series, but anything can happen. Ottawa has always played well against Hank. They have played well at MSG. I think you should respect your opponent and perhaps do some more research.

On my end, I am curious to see how Conn Smythe winner Brad Richards will affect this series.
What? We are exactly the Bruins, except what we do is clean, not dirty. We don't elbow and cheap shot our way to intimidate. We play hard hockey and forecheck the **** out of our opponent. Why do you think we're 3-1 against the Bruins, besides Hank? We match their playing style and they can't pull that **** on us, we throw it right back at them and grind them down.

Old
04-08-2012, 05:08 PM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

Quote:

Anderson is 4 and 2 in his last 6 and really they didn't play to win their last 2 games. Knowing that Washington and Florida would battle it out for the division and in doing so knock us back to 8th this is the match up they wanted.
You think Ottawa is a soft team?

In all seriousness Ottawa hasn't needed to play great hockey all season in order to get into the playoffs. They have had very good stretches which took the pressure off of them later in the season. They are mentally and physically fresh and coached by a really good staff.

I say Ottawa splits the first 2.

Old
04-08-2012, 05:21 PM
Krams
what a time

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylizer1 View Post
Anderson is 4 and 2 in his last 6 and really they didn't play to win their last 2 games. Knowing that Washington and Florida would battle it out for the division and in doing so knock us back to 8th this is the match up they wanted.
You think Ottawa is a soft team?

In all seriousness Ottawa hasn't needed to play great hockey all season in order to get into the playoffs. They have had very good stretches which took the pressure off of them later in the season. They are mentally and physically fresh and coached by a really good staff.

I say Ottawa splits the first 2.
Anderson has a GAA of about 2.70 over the last two months. If you truly believe the team was packing it in to in order to play the number one seed -- which is strange logic to begin with -- then yeah, they're a soft team. Teams that aren't soft don't have an off-switch. Rangers haven't lost more than three in a row the entire season, I believe.

I wholeheartedly believe it wouldn't take much for the Rangers to intimidate the Sens during the first couple of games at MSG. Hit Spezza and Karlsson hard and often. If Neil has something to say, he can answer to Rupp or Bickel. The Rangers can outhit and outgrind the Senators all series long until they are worn down.

Not saying it'll be easy, but I don't foresee any major problems.

Old
04-08-2012, 05:22 PM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
In a short series Karlsson can be a huge advantage for the Sens especially on the PP. I don't think his point totals (28 on the PP is a lot for a D) are indicative of what 4-6 points in a 7-game series on the PP can accomplish. Plus if he is getting point on the PP it means the Sens big guns are too and that spells offensive confidence and bad news for the Rangers.

Your Senators story sounds like the Rangers in the playoffs after the lockout. Picked to finish last, made it into the playoffs against the odds.

The Rangers play playoff hockey 90% of the time but like all teams had a stinker here or there. For the most part in the playoffs of recent memory the team has really stepped it up defensively and in goal but couldn't muster the offense necessary to score. If they do score 3 goals a game in this series it will be really difficult for the Sens to win (basing this on recent playoff performances by the Rangers). If the Sens score 3 goals a game and score first, I think they take the Rangers down (hopefully not).
Paul Maclean was an assistant in Detroit and is style is very similar coaching the Sens. Dave Cameron and Mark Reeds made it to the memorial cup finals last season with reeds winning. It really seems like the Sens have been smart, conservative hockey for most of the season. I just hope we can score the first goal in every game because even though we have the most 3rd period goals for in the league Lundqvist always plays good in the playoffs.

The Sens like open, high scoring games. It's the clogged neutral zone crap the screws them up.

Old
04-08-2012, 05:24 PM
NCRanger

The scariest thing about this series is that Ottawa knows how to beat the Rangers at MSG. They know how to use the bad ice to their advantage. They're right on the Rangers coming out of the defensive zone, and when the first outlet pass doesn't sit perfectly on the stick, an Ottawa player is right there to bat the puck deep. Then, they continue the harrassing forecheck, until the Rangers turn the puck over giving the Senators a golden opportunity in front of the net. Ottawa does not care about puck control as long as they keep the Rangers bottled up, and force the bad bounce turnovers.

Then, when the Rangers get down a goal or two and press, Ottawa uses their speed to create odd-man rushes.

The Rangers actually match up better IN OTTAWA because the ice is better and the Ranger outlet passes sit on the stick better.

The Rangers have to tilt the ice and keep the puck deep in the Ottawa end. If they assert their skill and grit advantage, the Rangers can move on pretty easily. However, they cannot allow Ottawa to dump the puck and control the neutral zone, which has happened more times than not when the Senators are in the Garden. If that happens, the Rangers are going to be looking at some ugly 2-1 losses at MSG.

Old
04-08-2012, 05:28 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

So what that Ottowa was 3-1 against us this year?

Sens fans-I wouldn't be putting so much stock into regular season series if I were you. Take it from a Rangers fan-we were 3-1 against Washington last year, and we had blowouts of 6-0, and 7-0 against them. They dismantled us in 5, and we were lucky to even win game 3 in the first place.

Closed Thread