HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Savard named Senior VP? (Savard denies rumor)

Closed Thread

Old
04-08-2012, 03:32 PM
HomaridII

vCash: 500
Dave Stubbs ‏ @habsinsideout1
If Serge is #Habs Sr VP hockey ops: boss Molson gets superb hockey man as a buffer, more time to rebuild CH brand & tend to biz as a whole

Old
04-08-2012, 03:32 PM
Sargent Pepper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
That was nearly 2 decades ago. Get with the times.
yet, most winning GMs are typically advance in age. Ask New Jersey, ask Detroit, ask Ottawa a few years ago ask the Islanders of the 80s, ask Montreal during the 60s, etc.

What is your point kiddo?

Old
04-08-2012, 03:33 PM
Harry Wong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
That was nearly 2 decades ago. Get with the times.
Well no one in the last 2 decades has been sucessfull. Who do you think has the gravitas in these times (besides yourself) to pick the next GM?

Old
04-08-2012, 03:33 PM
HabsSlappy

I really think this is a good first step. At least we are assembling a management team, no just a "Bob and Pierre" show.

I think it is imperative to have another set of eyes over-seeing the whole franchise. Molson does not have time or the hockey knowledge to do this job. This team needs to ask the opinion of many and come up with a consensus. This will stop the Gomez and Kaberle deals from happening. There were no checks and balances before.

Now they need to add GM, two assistant GM's and a Senior Advisor. Scotty Bowman would be the first choice but he has already shot down a move out of Chicago.

My next choice is Larry Robinson as Senior Advisor. He has been listening in the past to come back to Montreal but the previous management was too idiotic to give him a call.

Old
04-08-2012, 03:34 PM
Craig71

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
could you imagine if rejean houle got named gm in a week?
Dont laugh, because in this gong show anything is possible.

Old
04-08-2012, 03:34 PM
Sargent Pepper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
Any chance we trade Pleks + Kaberle + 1st round 2012 for Lecavalier, MAB and Gervais?
Are you nuts? Trade our first round pick?

Old
04-08-2012, 03:36 PM
Sargent Pepper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
Dont laugh, because in this gong show anything is possible.
Funny to read all you panic stricken posters. Molson is making one great move after another and some of you are running for cover, scared and whining. Guess you have never seen what good management is....

Old
04-08-2012, 03:36 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Shocking.

It might not mean anything with respect to who the next GM will be, but it only confirms to me that when given a chance to move forward in a new direction the first thing this organization does is turn around and see what remnants from the past it can desperately clutch onto.

Bold prediction: Tom Pyatt is our GM in 2047.

Old
04-08-2012, 03:38 PM
HomaridII

Dave Stubbs ‏ @habsinsideout1
#Habs Molson said recently he wants strong, qualified hockey people around him in rebuild. Savard qualifies and then some

Old
04-08-2012, 03:39 PM
Sargent Pepper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post
Shocking.

It might not mean anything with respect to who the next GM will be, but it only confirms to me that when given a chance to move forward in a new direction the first thing this organization does is turn around and see what remnants from the past it can desperately clutch onto.

Jean Beliveau was our senior VP well into his 70s when we were wining cup after cup....so what is your point?

Last edited by Sargent Pepper*: 04-08-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Old
04-08-2012, 03:39 PM
Craig71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post
Shocking.

So true. Rinse and recycle.

Old
04-08-2012, 03:41 PM
LaurentHabs
Galchenyuk2Collberg

Could this mean that the GM to be would be someone with not much experience, So Savard will be there to "guide him" or answer and questions?

Old
04-08-2012, 03:44 PM
Lafleurs Guy

To me this isn't a bad sign. I think it's Molson signalling that he's not a hockey guy himself and turning to a guy who his family has trusted in the past in order to hire the best people. If anything it's a signal that Molson himself won't be a meddler.

Let's just hope that goes for Savard too?

Old
04-08-2012, 03:50 PM
NewHabsEra*

Im worried.. to say the least..

Could someone dress an history of Serge Savard trades reccord plz?

Cheelios Leclair Desjardins Schneider to name few..

Last edited by NewHabsEra*: 04-08-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old
04-08-2012, 03:52 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
To me this isn't a bad sign. I think it's Molson signalling that he's not a hockey guy himself and turning to a guy who his family has trusted in the past in order to hire the best people. If anything it's a signal that Molson himself won't be a meddler.

Let's just hope that goes for Savard too?
I'm worried decision making will have too many heads. JdeM reported that the GM will report to Savard and Savard to Molson. I hope this doesn't mean that meddling wil occur.

Old
04-08-2012, 03:52 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbanged View Post
Sincerely a graduate level business student
Wow!

Old
04-08-2012, 03:53 PM
DJ Breadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Wong View Post
The last sucessful GM Montreal had, won 2 cups and had a stellar career with the team as a multiple stanley cup winning player assuming formal responsibility for hiring the next GM......and the problem is???????
Gainey won a cup as a gm and as a player how did that work out? The point is we as people get old and things pass us by, it's inevitable. The past isn't always a predictor of the future

Last edited by DJ Breadman: 04-08-2012 at 03:54 PM. Reason: mind ya bizzzness
Old
04-08-2012, 03:55 PM
Sargent Pepper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurentHabs View Post
Could this mean that the GM to be would be someone with not much experience, So Savard will be there to "guide him" or answer and questions?
This decision is reflective of what Molson said he wanted. A team that had a strong structure, with lots of experience so that decisions were not a one man show as it has been under recent GMs. I suspect the coach will now have a say (which was not the case under Gainey and Gauthier), I suspect the GM will be chair of all decisions but those decision will be vetted by a board that will include the coach (Roy?), Timmins, the GM, the assitance GM (if we get one) and Savard as SVP for all Hockey Operations.

Given that Roy suggested he wanted a greater say in all Hockey Operations decisions, I suspect the addition of Savard will ensure that all parties have a say, including the coach.

This is an extremely good move, in line with what great teams did in the past and do today (ex. Detroit). I am glad they are killing the GM with GOD powers status that prevailed in recent years. That model hardly ever works....

Old
04-08-2012, 03:55 PM
Habitualwinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I'm liking Molson less and less. We'll see how this plays out I guess.
Yes, you are right...he keeps making terrible decisions, like sending Randy Cunneyworth and his family on an all expenses paid vacation anywhere in the world for enduring the farce of season with dignity.

Old
04-08-2012, 03:56 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
I'm worried decision making will have too many heads. JdeM reported that the GM will report to Savard and Savard to Molson. I hope this doesn't mean that meddling wil occur.
I wouldn't worry too much about this. Really, every team has senior advisors etc... Molson probably just wants somebody he trusts in a top role. Savard has been successful in the past and Molson's family obviously trusts him. I don't think this is bad, it's not like he's hiring Serge as GM.

It's much better than Molson going out and getting a puppet GM the way TO has done in the past. If that had happened THEN I'd be worried. I see this as a good sign. Molson's basically saying 'okay I'm not a hocky guy, you go find one, I need help'... That's how I read it anyway.

Old
04-08-2012, 03:57 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Im worried.. to say the least..
If he does involve himself alot in player transactions, I'd be a bit worried too. Trading Chris Chelios for Denis Savard kinda shows you what lengths he was willing to go to in order to get a french star, even though savard was on the decline.

I worry about the premium he is willing to pay in order to get a french star. Thats why I ask how involved he will be in player transactions... is this a case where the new GM would be a bit of a puppet?

Old
04-08-2012, 03:58 PM
BLONG7

Guys, relax, let's just see how this plays out...so, it really means that Serge is replacing Gainey, correct?

Old
04-08-2012, 03:59 PM
Sargent Pepper*

Quote:
The role of GM as a GOD never worked before. Case in point, Houle, Gainey and Gauther, our last 3 GM. There cannot be melding when you have a strong organizational structure (business 101). If the GM answers to the SVP Hockey Operations, then all large decisions must be discussed with the boss before being implemented.

I operate a small business and I sure do not want a manager making a decision that has large impact on our small firm without being brought into the discussion and being given the opportunity to vet or kill the proposal. Same goes in Hockey.

Old
04-08-2012, 04:00 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1UP View Post
Mmmh... Savard is now a businessman, and he's been in the Hockey business for a long time.

That Molson wants a buffer between the 2 worlds to act as a "bridge", so to speak, between Molson and the new GM is actually good. He's probably going to have responsibilities that are akin to what Pierre Boivin had.

I don't see this being bad, unless he starts deciding on hockey stuff instead of the GM.
"... That Molson wants a buffer between the 2 worlds to act as a "bridge", so to speak, between Molson and the new GM is actually good..."

^^That is exaclty how I see the job description of Serge Savard^^

Before this nomination, the GM immediate superior was the president (Molson, previously Pierre Boivin...) but now it is the senior vice president, hockey operations – Serge Savard. If Molson felt the need to add an advisor, he chose a good one.

The GM's job description has not change: he will still be the biggest decision maker in terms of hockey related decisions. I am really happy that the Montreal Senators era is coming to an end... despite Serge Savard's nickname!

-----------------------

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledevin View Post
Serge Savard denies everything. /end thread!

Last edited by Kjell Dahlin: 04-08-2012 at 04:09 PM.
Old
04-08-2012, 04:01 PM
Sargent Pepper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
If he does involve himself alot in player transactions, I'd be a bit worried too. Trading Chris Chelios for Denis Savard kinda shows you what lengths he was willing to go to in order to get a french star, even though savard was on the decline.

I worry about the premium he is willing to pay in order to get a french star. Thats why I ask how involved he will be in player transactions... is this a case where the new GM would be a bit of a puppet?
and he won our last Stanley cup for us.... THAT is the lenght he is prepared to go.

If you were not a child when that deal happened, you may remember that Chelios has become a problem on the team. The move was a wise one even if Chelios grew up and became a mega star in the league. Please, find out what you are talking about before making statements. It will pay you off in the long run.

Closed Thread