HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

#82|Apr. 7, 2012|Flyers at Penguins|4:00 p.m. ET

Old
04-08-2012, 02:54 AM
Xegiie

vCash: 500
it was obvious flyers didn't play 100%, my guess is what Lavi said was "just don't get injured"
oh and refs been terrible again.. Jagrs penalty should be 2 minutes for letan unsportmanship, the penalty on bodycheck on guy who had puck...
please don't be like this in PO, thanks

Xegiie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 04:41 AM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Video on Rinaldo's hit?
What did Shelley do to earn himself a misconduct?

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 07:09 AM
Flyerfan808

On Officiating for game 82:

What a ****ing circus.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 09:40 AM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke View Post
Video on Rinaldo's hit?
What did Shelley do to earn himself a misconduct?

As for Shelley, maybe unsportsmanlike appearance? Refs thought he was fugly. Or he dared to look in the general direction of Crosby.

Edit: The refs were clearly determined not to let yesterdays game turn nasty, and I can see the value in that. To give out a 5 minute major for that hit wasn't necessary though, and to give a 10-minute misconduct to our "tough" guy for who knows what, but leaving MacIntyre in the game, might not have been the smartest idea if things had gotten more heated towards the end of the game.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 03:04 PM
Jaded-Fan

Posted wrong board. Hazard of posting on a phone. My apologies, I do not post to other teams boards often at all.

Last edited by Jaded-Fan: 04-08-2012 at 04:23 PM.
Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 03:22 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Refs were trigger happy in game 82 to just get through a meaningless game. Both ways. I give them props for that actually. Both teams got through the game healthy and no incidents. Reading more into it than that though? Rookie mistake.
Your thoughts on the rinaldo hit?

Krishna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 03:45 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post

As for Shelley, maybe unsportsmanlike appearance? Refs thought he was fugly. Or he dared to look in the general direction of Crosby.

Edit: The refs were clearly determined not to let yesterdays game turn nasty, and I can see the value in that. To give out a 5 minute major for that hit wasn't necessary though, and to give a 10-minute misconduct to our "tough" guy for who knows what, but leaving MacIntyre in the game, might not have been the smartest idea if things had gotten more heated towards the end of the game.
Agreed, I also don't see how that hit warranted 5 mins + game misconduct for Rinaldo. To me, it's not even clear it's fully hitting from behind, since at least from the video it seems it wasn't the cookie-cutter seeing numbers from behind situation.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 04:08 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Agreed, I also don't see how that hit warranted 5 mins + game misconduct for Rinaldo. To me, it's not even clear it's fully hitting from behind, since at least from the video it seems it wasn't the cookie-cutter seeing numbers from behind situation.
I agree that it shouldn't have been a major (this wasn't consistent with what Rule 43.1 says), but we're babyproofing the NHL.

I don't understand how one comes to this conclusion though. If you pause it at :15, Michalek is stepping past the blue line, with his #4 clear as day on the screen, and is never not seen. Also clear, is Zac Rinaldo 10 feet behind him.

He had roughly from the blue line to the goal line to decide that Michalek's back was to him and wasn't turning around. All he had to do was slow down and ride him into the boards instead of a full body check, when he never saw him in a position to take a full body check.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 04:27 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Your thoughts on the rinaldo hit?
Will answer and leave you all to your thoughts. I just thought the refs wanted to get through the game. I would not read anything more into the game or reffing than that. It is not a.predictor or anything about the series. Good luck and sorry for mistakenly posting here. Nothing was meant by it, but was a mistake. Just glad none got hurt for either team. Only thing that mattered.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 04:35 PM
Damaged Goods

At about :18 you see Michalek starting to turn parallel to the boards just before the hit, which is probably why Ryker thinks it isn't that clear-cut.

If Rinaldo had backed off for another half second and waited for Michalek to completely turn 90 degrees relative to the boards, it would have been a completely clean hit, but he didn't so it was an infraction.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 04:45 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
At about :18 you see Michalek starting to turn parallel to the boards just before the hit, which is probably why Ryker thinks it isn't that clear-cut.
He looks back before that. He turned to protect himself in case he was being taken in hard. If players turn late into hits (and not be penalized), they can turn late out of them too. He still had him lined up and was never not going to lay into him.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 09:10 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post

If Rinaldo had backed off for another half second and waited for Michalek to completely turn 90 degrees relative to the boards, it would have been a completely clean hit, but he didn't so it was an infraction.
Yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying. Michalek turned, so that what could be a clear hit from behind turned into a not-so-clear one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
He looks back before that. He turned to protect himself in case he was being taken in hard. If players turn late into hits (and not be penalized), they can turn late out of them too. He still had him lined up and was never not going to lay into him.
I agree he had him lined up, but having someone lined up doesn't constitute a penalty. And that's the thing, I do think he turned out of a hit from behind to a mesh between getting hit from the back AND the side.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 10:01 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
This game was a no win situation for us. If we won , pittsburgh could just say they were just trying to get through the game injury free since they locked up home ice. I think both teams played it close to the vest and werent going to risk blocking shots or taking hard hits to make a play.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote