HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Savard named Senior VP? (Savard denies rumor)

Closed Thread

Old
04-08-2012, 05:02 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitualwinner View Post
Yes, you are right...he keeps making terrible decisions, like sending Randy Cunneyworth and his family on an all expenses paid vacation anywhere in the world for enduring the farce of season with dignity.
It's the least he could do after he cut his legs out from under him days after he was given the position.

Old
04-08-2012, 05:02 PM
Ledevin

«Il n'y a rien de vrai dans ça!» Serge Savard

Old
04-08-2012, 05:04 PM
GordonGraham

Great news with savard now acting as the gm boss thats a guarantee that the guy will speak french

Old
04-08-2012, 05:06 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
I'm not really sure about this. The game has changed, there's 30 teams a cap. It's hard to teach an old Dog new tricks & this could set us back, but I won't pre-judge perhaps he's been keeping up to date & has a plan.

But honestly, I'm scared to death by the "must be bilingual" comments from him. Worried & sick of handicapping ourselves when the other 29 cities don't!

Old
04-08-2012, 05:08 PM
Sargent Pepper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPac67 View Post
I'm not really sure about this. The game has changed, there's 30 teams a cap. It's hard to teach an old Dog new tricks & this could set us back, but I won't pre-judge perhaps he's been keeping up to date & has a plan.

But honestly, I'm scared to death by the "must be bilingual" comments from him. I' sick of handicapping ourselves when the other 29 cities don't!
Bilingual is the only choice that will be accepted by the fans (except the west island fan of course). Get with it, its a past issue and dealt with.

Old
not quite yoda

It is no longer on rds.ca

Old
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledevin View Post
Thanks Ledevin. Thread title has been changed for the time being.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Old
04-08-2012, 05:10 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargent Pepper View Post
Bilingual is the only choice that will be accepted by the fans (except the west island fan of course). Get with it, its a past issue and dealt with.
Another 20 years of mediocre could be on the way, if language continues to trump selecting the best...

Old
04-08-2012, 05:11 PM
Sargent Pepper*

Quote:
Another 20 years of mediocre could be on the way, if language continues to trump selecting the best...
The best is Bilingual.....everyone agrees, including the organization.....the only one not supporting this are the anglo-Montrealers. That pretty much says it all, no? There is a high end list of candidates and frankly....most of them are on everyone's radar, not just in Montreal....

Old
04-08-2012, 05:13 PM
hockeyman*

Everyone who had there guns to there mouths, can now gently put it back down and put the safety back on.

Old
04-08-2012, 05:13 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
The best is Bilingual.....everyone agrees, including the organization.....the only one not supporting this are the anglo-Montrealers. That pretty much says it all, no?
If someone bilingual is the best, then no problem, but right now in 2012, It isin't!!!

Old
04-08-2012, 05:15 PM
Andy

Quote:
If someone bilingual is the best, then no problem, but right now in 2012, It isin't!!!
The thing is we don't know if bilingual is the best if we never interview the other end to compare.

Old
04-08-2012, 05:16 PM
Sargent Pepper*

Quote:
As I said, there is a high end list of candidates and most of them are on everyone's radar, not just in Montreal so YES, in 2012, IT IS!

Besides, the last time we went with the best Anglo, we suffered under Gainey for a long time......now, its time to do it 'La Belle Province' way.....

Old
04-08-2012, 05:17 PM
Clumsyhab

Quote:
Are you nuts? Trade our first round pick?
You don't think I was serious don't you.

Old
04-08-2012, 05:18 PM
Sargent Pepper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
You don't think I was serious don't you.
I sure hope not!!!!! Maybe I misread you....but it sounded legit from where I am sitting and I was scratching my head...why would anyone make that suggestion!!!!!

Old
04-08-2012, 05:20 PM
Andy

Quote:
As I said, there is a high end list of candidates and most of them are on everyone's radar, not just in Montreal so YES, in 2012, IT IS!

Besides, the last time we went with the best Anglo, we suffered under Gainey for a long time......now, its time to do it 'La Belle Province' way.....
That is a stupid argument. That's like saying that the last 5 stanley cup winners, the GMs have been unilingual anglos, so let's start doing it the cracker jack way.

All I want is to look at all candidates, if the best is bilingual then so be it. At least in doing so we compared him to ALL other possible candidates and not candidates from a selective list.

Old
04-08-2012, 05:21 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
and that's a fact ?

Old
04-08-2012, 05:25 PM
Teufelsdreck

Let's suppose it's true. If so, what does it achieve? Well, it gives Molson another layer of deniability if things go wrong. The late George Steinbrenner used to say, "My baseball people tell me ..."

Old
04-08-2012, 05:27 PM
Sargent Pepper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
That is a stupid argument. That's like saying that the last 5 stanley cup winners, the GMs have been unilingual anglos, so let's start doing it the cracker jack way.

All I want is to look at all candidates, if the best is bilingual then so be it. At least in doing so we compared him to ALL other possible candidates and not candidates from a selective list.
Fortunately, those making the decision do not include you. Savard already stated publicly that the new GM will be bilingual so I trust he will do just that. The list of qualified and high end candidate is long and includes very high end candidates. I trust the organization will do the right thing considering the market they operate in and considering the commitment they already made publicly.

In fact, just about everyone agrees that this team must 'French Up' at all level of the organization from the ice level to the ownership. We need players that live here and that are committed to this team, not rental players and rental management that goes away in the summer and do not have this team tattooed on the heart!!!

Old
04-08-2012, 05:49 PM
Vi Nc E x13x

The language problem wont exist once a team moves back to Quebec

Old
04-08-2012, 05:50 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Let's suppose it's true. If so, what does it achieve? Well, it gives Molson another layer of deniability if things go wrong. The late George Steinbrenner used to say, "My baseball people tell me ..."
Big Stein wants an eggplant calzone.

Old
04-08-2012, 05:57 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Why is this reminding me of the transition phase the Leafs went through. This move being our Cliff Fletcher.
I love equating Cliff Fletcher with Serge Savard.

Old
04-08-2012, 05:57 PM
onice

For those of you who are complaining that Savard will make French a major priority don't know the man that well.

He made Chelios captain of the Habs And Keane. And when the French media whined about it he asked how will a French captain help the team win the cup.

What he does want is a little more of a French face to the team which I'm not entirely against as long as he does with the cup in mind. In other words if has to trade between two players of equal value and it's a choice between a French Canadian or an Anglo/American/Euro and he picks the Franco, I have no problem with that.

But if he does some stupid move like asking Timmins to draft a Grigorenko because he's from the Q instead of let's say Yakupov then no I'm against it.

But i don't think Savard will do something like that. So that doesn't worry me.

What worries me is that Savard had a bit of the Gainey malady:

1) He would would changes just for making changes.
2) He, like Gainey, surrounded himself with incompetent people especially towards the end of his tenure. And because towards the end he relied more and more on their judgment we had those great trades like the Chelios one, the Leclair/Desjardins and a few other dozers that stung real hard. Everyone also forgets that Savard was ready to make a Roy trade that was as bad as Houle's the day he was fired.

Actually I see Savard very similar to Gainey. They many strikingly similar qualities. that scares me.

But let's wait and see what his responsibilities will be.

Old
04-08-2012, 06:00 PM
Sargent Pepper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vi Nc E x13x View Post
The language problem wont exist once a team moves back to Quebec
Only someone from the west island would make such a dumb comment....

Old
04-08-2012, 06:02 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Quote:
If an Anglo leads the habs to the Cup, the fans wont give a "/$%

Closed Thread