HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Any other habs fans feel "empty"?

Old
04-08-2012, 03:23 PM
Sargent Pepper*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Your logic is not that good. If we had finished 8th in the East we would have drafted 15th. Our second round pick will be number 33. How is that "close"? It is only close if we had got to the Stanley Cup semi-finals again and drafted 27th, but then again if we had, no one would call the season a waste, would they?
By picking in the very early stage of the 2nd round, our pick will not be that far from when we make the playoffs and our first pick is the 22nd or so. The difference in talent from the 22 pick and the 33rd pick is not that great......it starts falling off from the 50th pick or so.

Sargent Pepper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 04:34 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargent Pepper View Post
By picking in the very early stage of the 2nd round, our pick will not be that far from when we make the playoffs and our first pick is the 22nd or so. The difference in talent from the 22 pick and the 33rd pick is not that great......it starts falling off from the 50th pick or so.
Picking 22nd puts us at around the 8th best team in the entire league. Teams that successful, and their fans, do not hope to tank "to hopefully become good one day"...... they are already good.

I was addressing the idea that we "squeak into 8th place" and get kicked out fast. That puts you drafting 15th or so. Drafting 15th is a far, far cry from 33rd.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 04:38 PM
Alexdaman

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargent Pepper View Post
It all depends on the scouting job and being lucky, our 33rd pick could end beating 3rd pick.

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 04:39 PM
coolasprICE

Eat poutine. solved

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 04:48 PM
mlandry

I feel a bit like the OP. Feeling pretty empty this playoff season. Habs doing so badly kind of brings the hockey interest down. I even wanted to switch teams this season but honestly, just can't do that.

Most years I am pumped for the playoffs. I watch every game pretty much, no matter who plays. Even last year when I barely watched hockey I was still hooked for the playoffs.

This year though, even the playoffs don't really make me feel like watching hockey. It's a combination of not having cable and the Habs playing badly I think. I always follow stats and even if I'm not watching the games I want them to do well. Still, I can enjoy hockey with other teams playing usually. Not having cable is rough though; no real good NHL streams.

MLB works for me right now because of free MLB.tv games. I'm not sure if that will last long or just at the start of the season but watching a stream in HQ makes anything worth watching. If the NHL had good free streams I would be hooked, 2 games at once (2 monitors) if my internet could handle it and watching every game probably.

Illegal streams are fine and dandy for some but the bad quality for a sports stream is too much for me. HQ is pretty much the most important thing in watching sports. Anything else I could watch with the worst quality imaginable but not sports.

mlandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 04:53 PM
Teufelsdreck

I'm thankful I won't have to listen to nervous nellies who worry about the exact order of finish at the bottom of the NHL standings. I wish I won't have to force myself to ignore the inane trade/free agent signing proposals that are sure to appear until the opening of the next camp. I believe the maximum harm has already been done. I want to be reassured that the Habs sign a knowledgeable GM who doesn't scream or throw things. Everything else (coach, personnel moves, etc.) will ensue from that decision.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 05:01 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
I want to be reassured that the Habs sign a knowledgeable GM who doesn't scream or throw things.
What GM screams or throws things? And who decides who is knowledgeable?

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 05:06 PM
Lordstanley
Playoffs!

Hockey is not the same without you guys in the playoffs ! Please get back soon . Good luck with the upcoming draft. Happy Easter to all .

Lordstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 07:56 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordstanley View Post
Hockey is not the same without you guys in the playoffs ! Please get back soon . Good luck with the upcoming draft. Happy Easter to all .
Funny isn't it? Our fan bases are like two dysfunctional brothers who beat each other up every day, but miss each other when one they're separated.

Thanks for the nice words!

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 08:07 PM
optimus2861

Kinda. Last playoffs, it was Habs/Bruins again, I really thought we could beat 'em, it went 7 games, and then *suck*. The buggers beat us and went on to win the whole freakin' thing.

I've known for weeks, months, that the Habs were going to miss the playoffs (hell, at 1-5-2 I knew it was a longshot) so I've watched a lot of this season in a semi-detached mode. I knew it didn't mean anything so it was hard to get excited for it. Now the Habs are done and I don't feel much enthusiasm for the playoffs. It just ain't the same without 'em I'll probably even wait a round or two to decide who I'll root for.

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 09:46 PM
Nedved

seeing skost, lapierre and higgins off the team made me feel empty. this, no, this has me feeling hopeful for some real bottom 6 talent. I think the 2nd round will be huge for us down the road. intuition.

Nedved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 10:06 PM
Bleeker

No just no.

This team have a solid young core, and we are going to pick an ELite prospect. A guy with the potential to be the best player the habs had in their last 15 years.
This alone compensate for the awful season we had

Call me optimistic but, i'm sure we will be back on track next season

Last edited by Bleeker: 04-08-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Bleeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 10:44 PM
76ftw

I... really hate this time of the year right now. It's so frustrating to now we were one shot away last year from beating the ****ing Cup Champs, and this year we don't even make it

I just watched MTL Stand Up from last year... I could barely make it through lol. I remember last year being so pumped up for the playoffs haha.

76ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 10:46 PM
Aeneas

as of this moment i feel empty, i swear i put my car flag in a spot that is out of sight...but it keeps popping up, playoff time offers so much hope, and although im extremely excited for the draft and getting high end prospect, it is so far away, and i cant get excited again until pre-season...basically, short term is awful, longterm it will hopefully pay off

Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 10:50 PM
le_sean

The season went by terribly quickly in my mind. Probably because it wasn't a grueling battle to get in, it was fairly stress free for a while. I knew they were done long ago and accepted that fact. This is a completely different experience.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 11:35 PM
Shadyone33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlandry View Post
I feel a bit like the OP. Feeling pretty empty this playoff season. Habs doing so badly kind of brings the hockey interest down. I even wanted to switch teams this season but honestly, just can't do that.

Most years I am pumped for the playoffs. I watch every game pretty much, no matter who plays. Even last year when I barely watched hockey I was still hooked for the playoffs.

This year though, even the playoffs don't really make me feel like watching hockey. It's a combination of not having cable and the Habs playing badly I think. I always follow stats and even if I'm not watching the games I want them to do well. Still, I can enjoy hockey with other teams playing usually. Not having cable is rough though; no real good NHL streams.

MLB works for me right now because of free MLB.tv games. I'm not sure if that will last long or just at the start of the season but watching a stream in HQ makes anything worth watching. If the NHL had good free streams I would be hooked, 2 games at once (2 monitors) if my internet could handle it and watching every game probably.

Illegal streams are fine and dandy for some but the bad quality for a sports stream is too much for me. HQ is pretty much the most important thing in watching sports. Anything else I could watch with the worst quality imaginable but not sports.
I know that CBC streams hockey games. It's a pretty good stream too.

Shadyone33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 11:56 PM
Alexdaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlandry View Post

Most 'illegal' stream I watch are a lot better than CBC's crap streams, I don't want to promote them so I won't cite them. But I think it's time CBC and the league offer some good material to stop piracy instead of trying to shut them down and offer their crap and their ' not local ' prompt and give a real legal alternative.

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 09:31 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

I've been a Habs fan since the mid '80's and this is the worst season I have ever gone through. It just seemed like everything went wrong for us, and to top it all off, the one time we get a top 4 pick and it looks like a crap draft class which just figures since everything else went bad.

But on the upside, we get to see what the future will bring when we get a new GM and then whatever changes the new GM will make. Hopefully they get it right cause if not we are in for more tough times ahead.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 09:50 AM
AllanMTL46
Alexei BOOM Emelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by beh3moth View Post
Well, the regular season is over and that's it for our Habs. Looking at the playoff boards re-instated and not having the optimism for the cup and competition of playoff hockey is absolutely terrible. As much as Montreal needs a #1 C and how the majority bandwagoned for tanking, this sucks. I'd take the 8th seed over 1st overall any day of the week, call me a sucker.
Same for me.

AllanMTL46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 12:52 PM
habitue*

Annus Miserabilis....

or as we say in French: "Une année de cul !"

Anything that could go wrong, went wrong. Starting with the awful training camp and finishing with a 15th place in the Conference.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 12:55 PM
tinyzombies

Waiting for Markov, not Godot. Looking forward to tomorrow's lottery!

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 12:57 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

as much as it pains me to say, we have needed this for a long time. Molson made proper changes and has now the chance to do something right. Hopefully he has learned and will no longer make poor decisions

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 12:58 PM
peate
Habs fan 4 life.

vCash: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Annus Miserabilis....

or as we say in French: "Une année de cul !"

Anything that could go wrong, went wrong. Starting with the awful training camp and finishing with a 15th place in the Conference.
Shouldn't that be Annus anus?

peate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 12:59 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by peate View Post
Shouldn't that be Annus anus?
Yeah, but...

and actually its "Annus Horribilis"...my mistake.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 01:17 PM
peate
Habs fan 4 life.

vCash: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Yeah, but...

and actually its "Annus Horribilis"...my mistake.
I called it "The Year From Hell" Parts I & II

peate is offline   Reply With Quote