HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Savard named Senior VP? (Savard denies rumor)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-08-2012, 05:03 PM
  #126
Bill McNeal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,310
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
I love equating Cliff Fletcher with Serge Savard.
Fletcher's work with the Flames in the 80s is very comparable to Savard's work with the Habs. Better, even. He also hadn't just come off a two decade hiatus from the game when the Leafs hired him.

Bill McNeal is offline  
Old
04-08-2012, 05:03 PM
  #127
Sargent Pepper*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: St Pierre and Miquelon
Posts: 2,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
For those of you who are complaining that Savard will make French a major priority don't know the man that well.

He made Chelios captain of the Habs And Keane. And when the French media whined about it he asked how will a French captain help the team win the cup.

What he does want is a little more of a French face to the team which I'm not entirely against as long as he does with the cup in mind. In other words if has to trade between two players of equal value and it's a choice between a French Canadian or an Anglo/American/Euro and he picks the Franco, I have no problem with that.

But if he does some stupid move like asking Timmins to draft a Grigorenko because he's from the Q instead of let's say Yakupov then no I'm against it.

But i don't think Savard will do something like that. So that doesn't worry me.

What worries me is that Savard had a bit of the Gainey malady:

1) He would would changes just for making changes.
2) He, like Gainey, surrounded himself with incompetent people especially towards the end of his tenure. And because towards the end he relied more and more on their judgment we had those great trades like the Chelios one, the Leclair/Desjardins and a few other dozers that stung real hard. Everyone also forgets that Savard was ready to make a Roy trade that was as bad as Houle's the day he was fired.

Actually I see Savard very similar to Gainey. They many strikingly similar qualities. that scares me.

But let's wait and see what his responsibilities will be.
Yakupov is the most NHL ready talent in the draft but NOT the best talent......we are in no rush as we will not win next year so I would prefer Grigorenko because he has a superior talent to Yakupov....even if it will take him more time to adjust to the NHL....

Jacques Demers as an incompetent? Really dude?

Well, I will take that incompetent because he brought us our last Stanley Cup.....

Sargent Pepper* is offline  
Old
04-08-2012, 05:08 PM
  #128
onice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 5,415
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargent Pepper View Post
Yakupov is the most NHL ready talent in the draft but NOT the best talent......
That has to be one of the most ill-informed comments I've read on this site filled with ill-informed comments.

Everyone and his monkey have stated that Yakupov is hands down the best talent in this draft.

And that is what scares with when you drag this French or Q issue into hockey matters.

You no longer are objective and make silly comments like the one you just made. Yakupov is not the best talent. I guess you know better than the scouts whose job it is to sort this out.


Last edited by onice: 04-08-2012 at 05:14 PM.
onice is offline  
Old
04-08-2012, 05:11 PM
  #129
onice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 5,415
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargent Pepper View Post

Jacques Demers as an incompetent? Really dude?
Where in my post did I mention Demers? Or do you enjoy building straw men and having pillow fights with them.

I'm talking about the people who advised him on the drafting of his later years, on teh trade of Leclair & Desjardin, the CHelios trade and the trade he was about to make for Roy that would have been as putrid as Houle's trade.

He was advised by his hockey people that Leclair had peeked offensively. I can remember the press conference were he stated as much. By that time Savard had become an absentee GM and was relying on his advisers. Something Bobsled was doing also as GM in Montreal

onice is offline  
Old
04-08-2012, 05:13 PM
  #130
habtastic
Registered User
 
habtastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai via MTL
Country: India
Posts: 9,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargent Pepper View Post
The best is Bilingual.....everyone agrees, including the organization.....the only one not supporting this are the anglo-Montrealers. That pretty much says it all, no? There is a high end list of candidates and frankly....most of them are on everyone's radar, not just in Montreal....
What? Just by virtue of the fact they are bilingual? uhh no.

As for anglo-Montrealers not buying into the must speak french thing, it's cuz we CAN speak French, want to win and our opinion of who should be GM is solely based on wanting to win and not the muddy waters of finding the best person to help us win who can also speak French. Basically my opinion is not biased. If the best candidate is billingual, then sure, it's a cosmetic bonus, but at the end of they day I don't care, I just want the best.

Your argument just suggests that the people who don't have a language bias and only care about winning don't think that the person should be bilingual.

Fact of the matter is he WILL speak French just cuz of the previous **** storm that was created. It's going to be that way for better or worse. I don't think we will get the best man to lead us to a Cup because of this, since the best potential GMs do not speak French (I mean that they happen not to, not by virtue of the fact). I've accepted that we'll get someone below the optimal candidate and hopefully he can do a good enough job.

In your opinion, who would make the best GM (take language out of it)?

habtastic is offline  
Old
04-08-2012, 05:16 PM
  #131
Joe Lamb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: downeast
Posts: 207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargent Pepper View Post
The best is Bilingual.....everyone agrees, including the organization.....the only one not supporting this are the anglo-Montrealers. That pretty much says it all, no? There is a high end list of candidates and frankly....most of them are on everyone's radar, not just in Montreal....
A good percentage of Montreal supporters are NOT from the province of Quebec. MANY of the fans you see in great numbers when the Habs are on the road in Canada
are not former Quebecers.This is a team that is followed by people from around the globe that speak many languages - not just French and English.

That being said, I feel the list of bilingual candidates is actually limited as compared to what other teams would consider.And when you list those with experience , I am even more concerned .But with Serge Savard on board , I feel more confident that a winning management team can be assembled. I have lost faith in Molson - he should be an owner only.

Joe Lamb is offline  
Old
04-08-2012, 05:17 PM
  #132
Sargent Pepper*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: St Pierre and Miquelon
Posts: 2,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
That has to be one of the most ill-informed comments I've read on this site filled with ill-informed comments.

Everyone and his monkey have stated that Yakupov is hands down the best talent in this draft.

And that is what scares with when you drag this French or Q issue into hockey matters.

You no longer are objective and make silly comments like the one you just made. Yakupov is not the best talent.
Talk about being ill informed. You lost all credibility dude... Maybe you need to read a bit and educate yourself.

As for the French, what does that have anything to do with this discussion over two Russians players? I think you have your thoughts all mixed up. Think first, then write....

the NHL.COM has Galchenyuk has the best pure talent. Others have Grigorenko as the best pure talent. What experts agree on is that Yakupov is the most NHL ready but not necessarily the best pure talent.... I like Grigo because he is big and a Center (a big center has been sought by Montreal for a long time since.....Wickenheiser).

Sargent Pepper* is offline  
Old
04-08-2012, 05:24 PM
  #133
Sargent Pepper*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: St Pierre and Miquelon
Posts: 2,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Lamb View Post
A good percentage of Montreal supporters are NOT from the province of Quebec. MANY of the fans you see in great numbers when the Habs are on the road in Canada
are not former Quebecers.This is a team that is followed by people from around the globe that speak many languages - not just French and English.

That being said, I feel the list of bilingual candidates is actually limited as compared to what other teams would consider.And when you list those with experience , I am even more concerned .But with Serge Savard on board , I feel more confident that a winning management team can be assembled. I have lost faith in Molson - he should be an owner only.
Well, its nice to have fans around the world but those paying the tickets and making money for the HABS on a day in, day out basis are predominantly the French Canadians. Do not get me wrong, I really like that the team is followed around Canada and around the world but its sustainability as a business comes from seats buying customers at the Bell Center....

Sargent Pepper* is offline  
Old
04-08-2012, 05:27 PM
  #134
pine
Registered User
 
pine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,967
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargent Pepper View Post
Talk about being ill informed. You lost all credibility dude... Maybe you need to read a bit and educate yourself.

As for the French, what does that have anything to do with this discussion over two Russians players? I think you have your thoughts all mixed up. Think first, then write....

the NHL.COM has Galchenyuk has the best pure talent. Others have Grigorenko as the best pure talent. What experts agree on is that Yakupov is the most NHL ready but not necessarily the best pure talent.... I like Grigo because he is big and a Center (a big center has been sought by Montreal for a long time since.....Wickenheiser).
what... the... ****?

Yakupov is the consensus #1, head and shoulders above the rest because he is just on an another level talentwise. Yes, he is the best pure talent. I haven't seen anyone anywhere say otherwise. By the same token, he can play in the NHL next season.

pine is offline  
Old
04-08-2012, 05:32 PM
  #135
Schooner Guy
Registered User
 
Schooner Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,659
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargent Pepper View Post
Yakupov is the most NHL ready talent in the draft but NOT the best talent......we are in no rush as we will not win next year so I would prefer Grigorenko because he has a superior talent to Yakupov....even if it will take him more time to adjust to the NHL....
.
Mother of Gawd!

Schooner Guy is online now  
Old
04-08-2012, 05:36 PM
  #136
E = CH²
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Sri Lanka
Posts: 15,940
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post
Fletcher's work with the Flames in the 80s is very comparable to Savard's work with the Habs. Better, even. He also hadn't just come off a two decade hiatus from the game when the Leafs hired him.
When someone says the name Fletcher, I immediately think S. Savard as a comparable. I'm glad I'm not alone.

E = CH² is offline  
Old
04-08-2012, 05:37 PM
  #137
Sargent Pepper*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: St Pierre and Miquelon
Posts: 2,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
what... the... ****?

Yakupov is the consensus #1, head and shoulders above the rest because he is just on an another level talentwise. Yes, he is the best pure talent. I haven't seen anyone anywhere say otherwise. By the same token, he can play in the NHL next season.
ah, open a book, read some, you find knowledge.

Actually a few have Yakupov not even a first pick overall and since it is Columbus that is picking, the likelyhood that they want to try on another russian is not that great after many failures in recent history.

Others like Swallows has Grigo as first pick over all followed by Murray and then Yakupov. ESPN has Galchenyuk as the best pure talent. There is no consensus as we find when we have a superstar like Crosby.....

Sargent Pepper* is offline  
Old
04-08-2012, 05:39 PM
  #138
pine
Registered User
 
pine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,967
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargent Pepper View Post
ah, open a book, read some, you find knowledge.

Actually a few have Yakupov not even a first pick overall and since it is Columbus that is picking, the likelyhood that they want to try on another russian is not that great after many failures in recent history.

Others like Swallows has Grigo as first pick over all followed by Murray and then Yakupov. ESPN has Galchenyuk as the best pure talent. There is no consensus as we find when we have a superstar like Crosby.....
Link?

pine is offline  
Old
04-08-2012, 05:41 PM
  #139
x74Pacioretty74x
Registered User
 
x74Pacioretty74x's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,924
vCash: 500
What kind of role would a senior VP have for the habs?

x74Pacioretty74x is offline  
Old
04-08-2012, 05:43 PM
  #140
onice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 5,415
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargent Pepper View Post
Others like Swallows has Grigo as first pick over all followed by Murray and then Yakupov. ESPN has Galchenyuk as the best pure talent. There is no consensus as we find when we have a superstar like Crosby.....
Who the %$^& is Swallows? And maybe ESPN has Galchenyuk as the best pure talent for the same reasons you have Grigorenko as the best. Purely tribal.

ESPN is trying to sell hockey to an American market so they have to puff up Galenchenyuk. He has a Russian name but was born in the states and played for the states.

You prefer Grigorenko because he played in the Q. I have yet to hear anyone say this year that Grigo is the best pure talent.

And this is a perfect example of when you bring other issues (like language, nationality or what not) in matters that should involve only hockey.

onice is offline  
Old
04-08-2012, 06:04 PM
  #141
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,186
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
Where in my post did I mention Demers? Or do you enjoy building straw men and having pillow fights with them.

I'm talking about the people who advised him on the drafting of his later years, on teh trade of Leclair & Desjardin, the CHelios trade and the trade he was about to make for Roy that would have been as putrid as Houle's trade.

He was advised by his hockey people that Leclair had peeked offensively. I can remember the press conference were he stated as much. By that time Savard had become an absentee GM and was relying on his advisers. Something Bobsled was doing also as GM in Montreal
What very few understand is that Leclair was misplaced at center but flourished at left wing, where he had less responsibility (Lindros took over) and could concentrate on scoring. This promptly showed up in his stats. I don't think that even Bobby Clarke realized this at the time of the trade.

Teufelsdreck is offline  
Old
04-08-2012, 06:12 PM
  #142
Sargent Pepper*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: St Pierre and Miquelon
Posts: 2,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
Who the %$^& is Swallows? And maybe ESPN has Galchenyuk as the best pure talent for the same reasons you have Grigorenko as the best. Purely tribal.

ESPN is trying to sell hockey to an American market so they have to puff up Galenchenyuk. He has a Russian name but was born in the states and played for the states.

You prefer Grigorenko because he played in the Q. I have yet to hear anyone say this year that Grigo is the best pure talent.

And this is a perfect example of when you bring other issues (like language, nationality or what not) in matters that should involve only hockey.

TRIBAL issues? why? because you claim it is? Just because you say it that it is so? The fact that Grigo played in the Q does not make him French Canadian. Get your head out of your arse!

Read, educate yourself, make your own research. Just looking and on site or reading posts here does not make you a genius.

Sargent Pepper* is offline  
Old
04-08-2012, 06:15 PM
  #143
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,186
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargent Pepper View Post
Talk about being ill informed. You lost all credibility dude... Maybe you need to read a bit and educate yourself.

As for the French, what does that have anything to do with this discussion over two Russians players? I think you have your thoughts all mixed up. Think first, then write....

the NHL.COM has Galchenyuk has the best pure talent. Others have Grigorenko as the best pure talent. What experts agree on is that Yakupov is the most NHL ready but not necessarily the best pure talent.... I like Grigo because he is big and a Center (a big center has been sought by Montreal for a long time since.....Wickenheiser).
The best big center the Habs had in the past three decades was Bobby Smith, who played a role in the 1986 Cup win. Unfortunately, the Habs didn't have him from the beginning of his career.

Teufelsdreck is offline  
Old
04-08-2012, 06:19 PM
  #144
Vsevolod Bobrov
Burn the boats !
 
Vsevolod Bobrov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargent Pepper View Post
Yakupov is the most NHL ready talent in the draft but NOT the best talent......we are in no rush as we will not win next year so I would prefer Grigorenko because he has a superior talent to Yakupov....even if it will take him more time to adjust to the NHL....

Jacques Demers as an incompetent? Really dude?

Well, I will take that incompetent because he brought us our last Stanley Cup.....
is this real life

Vsevolod Bobrov is offline  
Old
04-08-2012, 06:19 PM
  #145
Bill McNeal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,310
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
When someone says the name Fletcher, I immediately think S. Savard as a comparable. I'm glad I'm not alone.
If you didn't look at it through the lens that you tend to view every topic through, you might see the similarities between their situations.

Bill McNeal is offline  
Old
04-08-2012, 06:22 PM
  #146
pine
Registered User
 
pine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,967
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vsevolod Bobrov View Post
is this real life
Is this just fantasy?

pine is offline  
Old
04-08-2012, 06:24 PM
  #147
Vsevolod Bobrov
Burn the boats !
 
Vsevolod Bobrov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,314
vCash: 500
How did you manage to quote me wrong

Vsevolod Bobrov is offline  
Old
04-08-2012, 06:28 PM
  #148
Ollie Williams
Registered User
 
Ollie Williams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,939
vCash: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Gun View Post
**** **** **** , i am no longer a fan of this team, after 42 yr, i packin it in...the worst ****in thing ever
Looks like Molson is cleaning house both in the administration and in the fanbase. Glad to see all the trash out in one fell swoop.

Ollie Williams is offline  
Old
04-08-2012, 06:31 PM
  #149
Sargent Pepper*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: St Pierre and Miquelon
Posts: 2,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
The best big center the Habs had in the past three decades was Bobby Smith, who played a role in the 1986 Cup win. Unfortunately, the Habs didn't have him from the beginning of his career.
yeah, I forgot about Bobby, your right! Indeed, it would have been nice to have him in his early stage of his career.....

Sargent Pepper* is offline  
Old
04-08-2012, 06:39 PM
  #150
Joe Lamb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: downeast
Posts: 207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargent Pepper View Post
Well, its nice to have fans around the world but those paying the tickets and making money for the HABS on a day in, day out basis are predominantly the French Canadians. Do not get me wrong, I really like that the team is followed around Canada and around the world but its sustainability as a business comes from seats buying customers at the Bell Center....
Well I agree that the NHL is a gate driven league but I think you are changing from fans to ticket sales to suit your arguement.Ticket sales across the league are going up but Montreal has been sold out for several years.The double digit growth in advertisement ,digital media and merchandise sales as stated NHL.com April 13,2011continues this year and is a growing revenue source for all teams .So if I spend any money in the NHL, am I not a fan.On Friday March 30th ,I paid a lot of money to cheer for the Habs at Madison Square Gardens ,and proudly wore my Lafleur #10. Are you saying I don't deserve a say , I can't have an opinion just because my name is not Tremblay ?

Joe Lamb is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:35 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.