HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Hank WILL win the Vezina

Old
04-08-2012, 11:47 AM
SnowblindNYR

vCash: 500
BTW, prorated to 69 games Lundqvist has just about 9 shutouts. Is 1 shutout really that big of a deal? How many games did Quick have where he allowed 5 goals? At least 1 and I betting more. If he allowed 4 against the Sharks in game 81, they would have won in regulation instead of lost in a shootout and gotten the 7 seed running away. They have a better shot at St. Louis, a team that plays a similar style and has no playoff experience, than Vancouver a team that can both score and defend and was just in game 7 of the cup finals. If we're talking about shutouts let's talk about the reason their stats are identical and Quick has more shutouts. If last year Hank isn't even in the top 3 when he lead the league in shutouts, shutouts shouldn't be a deciding factor.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 11:48 AM
turcotte8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
Crosby is 1 for 1 in blocked shot attempts this year, which means his Save % is 1.00. He will win the Vezina.
Forwards aren't eligible, he'll win the Selke

Plus the NHL went backed and reviewed the scoring of his games, he now has 114 points. Can you say Art Ross and Hart?

turcotte8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 11:56 AM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

When the Kings were floating around the NHL .500 mark, they were a struggling offensive team. After the trade deadline move to acquire Carter, they scored MUCH more and became an average team offensively in that timeframe. Ironically enough, Quick was putting up most of his wins during that period of time as well.

I'm not sure of the exact stats, but there was a Kings fan that pointed out that they scored about .8 more goals a game after getting Carter from Columbus. The extra support got Quick his wins, not the fact he was MORE dominant than he was initially.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 12:23 PM
McSauer
Defense Wins Games

All you have to do is think about Hank's numbers if he played in that weak-ass division; probably new NHL records in GAA and Save %...

It's Hank's! Should have had at least two up to this point...

McSauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 12:26 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Henrik blew his Vezina last night.

Had he shown up he wins it hands down.

He allowed 4 goals. And allowed his numbers to rise too much.

Quick more games played, practically identical numbers.

Quick is going to get it. If he doesn't, something went wrong with the voting.
And Quick let up 3 goals last night in an OTL to SJ.

So what? Since when does 1 game determine a whole year's worth of success? It wasn't like that was a game clinching game last night for Hank in getting us in the playoffs or something. We had 1st clinched.

More games played? Not Hank's fault he got more rest this season. And in less games, he still has 4 more wins while playing in the toughest division in the NHL.

If the stats are so close then why should Quick get it?

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 12:27 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

I think Hank's poor play over the last few weeks cost him the trophy. Quick has been stellar, and more importantly, was very good down the stretch.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 12:38 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I think Hank's poor play over the last few weeks cost him the trophy. Quick has been stellar, and more importantly, was very good down the stretch.
So what?

Why should we just use a couple of weeks or even month worth of a slump to determine the winner? All regular season games mean the same. It's not like his poor play cost us a playoff spot. We still clinched 1st. His whole season should be evaluated, not just the last couple of weeks.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 01:18 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:

You dont give a guy a postseason award because he was slightly better in just one month of the season.

Henrik was a Hart front-runner until January and a clear-cut Vezina winner after the first 65 or so games. If he and Quick have similar stats, you give it to the guy who was better over a long period of time.

Henrik had a bad March by his standards. He was still 9-6-1 in March/April against a murder schedule -- 7 starts in march against the top-10 teams in the NHL.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 02:35 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:

The only thing Hank has going for him is that he plays in a tougher division against more offensively threatening opponents. Plus, seniority might play a factor(I personally think that is nonsense).

But, I agree with you Hank blew his chances last night. I think the trophy goes to Quick. Hank has a mental issue during the season where he doesn't keep up his game.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 03:47 PM
Edge

I can argue this two ways.

1. Hank plays in a tougher division and frankly, a tougher conference than Quick.

2. Hank may have cost himself the award over the last few weeks - which speaks to a problem he's had over the past few years of having one stretch that always seems to knock him down a notch.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 05:03 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Interesting both Henke and Quick **** the bed last night with some pride and the standings on the line....

I have to say, this is a tough one to call. You could make a solid case for either guy to win it, and last night didnt make it any easier.

Vezina is picked by the GMs, who in the past have shown love for Lundqvist nominating him several times. But Quick was very good down the stretch.

I know it's a regular season trophy, but I don't know when they actually have to pick their three noms?

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 05:14 PM
truebluegoalie

I believe they vote before the playoffs. Just isn't announced tll later.
Hank will win. As said already, it is a SEASON award, not a one game or two week award. It is silly to think he lost it in game #82.

truebluegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 06:05 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Of course they could just give it to Brodeur

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 06:25 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Both have nearly identical stats.

-One led his team to the top of the Eastern Conference while playing the best division.
-The other led his team to an 8th seed despite playing the 2nd weakest division.

Hank wins this. Maybe not by much, but he finally gets his due.

Bob Richards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 07:11 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL605 View Post
And Quick let up 3 goals last night in an OTL to SJ.

So what? Since when does 1 game determine a whole year's worth of success? It wasn't like that was a game clinching game last night for Hank in getting us in the playoffs or something. We had 1st clinched.

More games played? Not Hank's fault he got more rest this season. And in less games, he still has 4 more wins while playing in the toughest division in the NHL.

If the stats are so close then why should Quick get it?
You're getting to hung up on the "just because one game".

It has to do with his numbers. The bad game allowed Quick's numbers to be a little closer then they should have been.

Now, because the numbers are close, he may have blew winning the award. Plain and simple.

It all comes down to what the voters feel.

Quick now has every bit of a chance to win it, when it should have been clear cut.

It's a stat driven award.

MY personal opinion has nothing to do with it. Its a FACT that this is going to be a close vote now.

I want Henrik to win it.

The Henrik WILL win it title...there is no guarantee.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 07:12 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post
You dont give a guy a postseason award because he was slightly better in just one month of the season.

Henrik was a Hart front-runner until January and a clear-cut Vezina winner after the first 65 or so games. If he and Quick have similar stats, you give it to the guy who was better over a long period of time.

Henrik had a bad March by his standards. He was still 9-6-1 in March/April against a murder schedule -- 7 starts in march against the top-10 teams in the NHL.
Its not a postseason award....

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 07:28 PM
Baby Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Chariot View Post
Of course they could just give it to Brodeur
That wouldn't shock me one bit.

Baby Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 07:41 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I still think he'll win it.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 08:20 PM
BlessThisMess513

I'm pretty sure the voting is gonna end up looking like this.
1-Hank
2-Quick
3-Smith
In regards to Smith-He has been more or less pretty amazing down the stretch and before the all star break. I honestly believe there isn't much competition between him and guys like Howard or Rinne who have been a little above average this season compared to Smith who led his team to a Pacific Division Title, and in my opinion, is having the best feel good, out-of-nowhere type year that trumps every one else, including St. Louis, NYR, Stamkos, etc..
Gotta give it to the guy.

Edit: Consequently, that could also benefit Lundqvist having mixed votes between Quick/Smith, where as I can picture the majority of the East voting for Lundqvist.

Last edited by BlessThisMess513: 04-08-2012 at 08:27 PM.
BlessThisMess513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 08:30 PM
nyrpassion
Vetted.

haha. hypothetically, what if hank lost the vezina to quick, but somehow got the hart. won't happen, just throwing stuff out there.

nyrpassion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 08:33 PM
Mrpuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
Hank plays in a division where 4 out of the 5 teams made the playoffs all with 100+ points. The 4th place team in the Atlantic (NJ) had more points than the 1st place team in the Pacific (PHX). It would be ridiculous to give it to Quick when he has nearly identical stats as Hank and Hank plays in the best division (or 2nd best if you think the Central is better) in hockey.
This....

Mrpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 08:45 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrpassion View Post
haha. hypothetically, what if hank lost the vezina to quick, but somehow got the hart. won't happen, just throwing stuff out there.
Malkin deserves the hart. end of story. he had an amazing year.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 08:49 PM
Victory*
We're Still In It

Am I the only one who knows it's obvious he'll win it? I mean sure if you think it thru too hard you may get yourself to think Quick should win it. But it's Lundqvist's this year, 100%, if you take everything into account (which GM's obviously know).

Victory* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 09:04 PM
lbrowne

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Minutes4Fighting View Post
Most of the year, I would have given it to Hank hands down. But with almost identical numbers, and Quick playing on a team with very little offense, his Win numbers are flat out more impressive. He had a sick number of games where he gave up 0 or 1 goals. And when your team doesn't score (2nd lowest goals scored in NHL), it's his play that stands out.
Where were you when Hank did the exact same thing in previous years? I can't count the games that if Hank let in only 2 goals - it was a basically a loss.

All this talk about Quick, and trust me, I'm a HUGE Quick fan, he basically did the same thing this year what Hank did for 2-3 years in a row in recent seasons.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, he gets a nomination for the Vezina hands down. Just like Lundqvist did then. But Henrik gets it this year.

lbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 09:08 PM
30theking

without hank im sure the rangers would be fighting for either the 7th or 8th seed. even with quick playing great his team just barely made the playoffs as an 8th seed. That's like giving stamkos the hart trophy over malkin. One guy had a phenomenal season and his team still sucked badly and the other guy carried his team when there was no crosby.

30theking is offline   Reply With Quote