HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

ECQF: Rangers (1) vs Senators (8)

Closed Thread

Old
04-08-2012, 05:31 PM
KingP

vCash: 500
I would be very surprised if we lose this series

We are simply the better/stronger team

Old
04-08-2012, 05:35 PM
asphyXy

Funny, I looked at our roster, and we only have 10 players under 200 lbs, and that list includes Zuccarello and both goalies. When the 7 active skaters under 200 lbs include the likes of Callahan and Prust, the argument is void.

Old
04-08-2012, 05:46 PM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
So you're saying that the Sens have been saving it for the playoffs? wouldn't it have been easier to block and hit your way to the 6th spot, so you could face the Panthers? Rangers have been playing with playoff intensity for mostly the entire season. Torts will have them ready to play.

(It's nice that we can have civilized conversations with you guys. It's impossible to do so with Penguins fans, who have been running their mouths a lot lately.)
There was never a guarantee that Florida would even make the playoffs. New jersey has had that spot locked up for a while now and has played better to earn that spot. I think Sens management was just happy to be in the position for the playoffs regardless of who they had to play. But in the last week when they were part of the equation to either play Boston, who they've had a hard time against this season and are the defending Champs or play the Rangers who we've played well against this season and who has been playing hard all year?

Around the Allstar break we were playing really good hockey and were banking a lot of points. 7 of our players won the Calder trophy last season in the AHL when our season was done so they've had a lot of mileage. Not to mention we do have some older vets and injuries to key players that allowed us never to fall out of contention. I don't think we coasted through the hole season but when we were down to our last 7 games we came out and won the ones we needed to win to get in. The last few games so players rested and gave the back up goalie a game. No real desire to win in either of those games.

Our last 2 season were plagued with injuries so being fresh going in is a good felling.

Old
04-08-2012, 05:56 PM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingP View Post
I would be very surprised if we lose this series

We are simply the better/stronger team
The Sens are 11-2-1 since the lockout at MSG.

Old
04-08-2012, 05:56 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylizer1 View Post
There was never a guarantee that Florida would even make the playoffs. New jersey has had that spot locked up for a while now and has played better to earn that spot. I think Sens management was just happy to be in the position for the playoffs regardless of who they had to play. But in the last week when they were part of the equation to either play Boston, who they've had a hard time against this season and are the defending Champs or play the Rangers who we've played well against this season and who has been playing hard all year?

Around the Allstar break we were playing really good hockey and were banking a lot of points. 7 of our players won the Calder trophy last season in the AHL when our season was done so they've had a lot of mileage. Not to mention we do have some older vets and injuries to key players that allowed us never to fall out of contention. I don't think we coasted through the hole season but when we were down to our last 7 games we came out and won the ones we needed to win to get in. The last few games so players rested and gave the back up goalie a game. No real desire to win in either of those games.

Our last 2 season were plagued with injuries so being fresh going in is a good felling.
I remember Devils fans rooting for us to win the last game we played against you because you were really close to the 6th spot.

Seems to be a weird strategy to want to play the 1st seed instead of the 2nd. (Many Rangers fans were licking their chops at the thought of playing the Caps last year.)

Offense-you have us beat

Defense-Rangers by a landslide. This is talking about defense, not about you guys having a PPG defenseman:

McDonagh, Girardi, Staal-all capable of playing great defense.

Del Zotto plays good defense.

I'm more worried about Stralman and Bickel (although they're still better than Gilroy, lol)

Goaltending can go without explanation as to which team has the better goalie.

Old
04-08-2012, 05:57 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
In 1994, Rangers were winless in 15 straight against the Islanders on Long Island. They swept the series with a combined score of 22-3. Goes to show you how meaningless regular season can become when you're playing in a series, and not sporadic matches.

Old
04-08-2012, 06:03 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Wouldn't put too much into the season series. The only good indicator season series have on a playoff series is what type of game the two teams will be playing.

What I saw from all 4 games is that Ottawa is very opportunistic. They have scoring talent that can bury us. They also have a great transition game and their defenders can move the puck well.

What I saw from all 4 games is also that the Rangers took the Senators as a joke. The first loss we allowed them to come back and beat us in OT because we flat out stopped playing. The second loss we didn't show up for more than 10 minutes. The third loss we put in an ice cold Biron.

If we disrupt the Senators transition game through the neutral zone then this should be a successful and relatively easy series. Have to limit odd man rushes, but again, the most important thing is limiting the transition through the neutral zone.

The great thing about this series is that it shouldn't be as physically taxing as any other series would be.

Depending on how we play - if we take them as a joke and Henrik comes out looking as unenthused and unprepared as he did the last game I think we lose this series... then again if the team comes out playing the way they did yesterday we would likely lose to any team (Columbus included).

If we play them the way we play when we've been successful, and out hustle and wear them out, then this should be an easier series for us than we think... (barring some sort of ridiculous play by Anderson making it nearly impossible to score).

Old
04-08-2012, 06:04 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873
This is not a match up that I was wanting.

The Pens were first in my hope to avoid, then quietly, the Senators give us fits and have done so all season.

The Senators have scored 8 goals on the Rangers in the 3rd period. That is a real preblem for this team.

They know that they can score late if they ned to. Having that in the back of your mind going into a playoff game is comforting and that is going to breed confidence.

We need to take both games at home to start the series in convincing fashion to instill some doubt in their minds

Old
04-08-2012, 06:07 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
And a lot of that is from their first two seasons, in which we couldn't play on the Senators level at all. Especially that first year back from the lockout. Ottawa was a juggernaut. Spezza-Alfie-Heatley, and the Havlat at a point per game on the 2nd line with Vermette... disgusting.

I like this matchup, but I don't like the way the Rangers have played against them in the season series. I'm not scared. Rangers are starting to get healthier, and Lundqvist will find his game in the playoffs. Anderson won't play over his head like has against them during the regular season. Rangers will focus in on Spezza and Karlsson and that's where Ottawa will be tested. Secondary scoring, defense, and goaltending.

Playoffs are a whole different ball game, Rangers have more experience.

Old
04-08-2012, 06:12 PM
KingP

Quote:
This is the playoffs

Old
04-08-2012, 06:14 PM
RangerBlue62
Smoothies! Who's in?

Rangers never really had a reason to get up for a game vs. Ottawa since the lockout. Besides the two years right after the lockout when they were sick, pretty much a mediocre non-divisional rival. Games from what I recall completely lacked intensity.

Now that we're in the playoffs I'm curious to see how these teams match up. Let's not forget that it wasn't too long ago that Montreal as the 8th seed upset the Capitals in the first round who pretty much ran away with the President's trophy that year.

Old
04-08-2012, 06:16 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
This is not a match up that I was wanting.

The Pens were first in my hope to avoid, then quietly, the Senators give us fits and have done so all season.

The Senators have scored 8 goals on the Rangers in the 3rd period. That is a real preblem for this team.

They know that they can score late if they ned to. Having that in the back of your mind going into a playoff game is comforting and that is going to breed confidence.

We need to take both games at home to start the series in convincing fashion to instill some doubt in their minds
Cmon, this is getting a little crazy. Are you just looking for things to worry yourself about?

Dude, Alfredsson scores 2 out of 3 times if he takes more than 5 strides on the ice... that statistic increases to 10/11 times in the 3rd period.... Also, if the Ottawa announcers take a dump before the 2nd period Ottawa wins 71.8% of the time... pack it in, we're done.

Old
04-08-2012, 06:18 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
Cmon, this is getting a little crazy. Are you just looking for things to worry yourself about?

Dude, Alfredsson scores 2 out of 3 times if he takes more than 5 strides on the ice... that statistic increases to 10/11 times in the 3rd period.... Also, if the Ottawa announcers take a dump before the 2nd period Ottawa wins 71.8% of the time... pack it in, we're done.
Are you sure it's a dump? I'm pretty sure it's a piss...

Old
04-08-2012, 06:19 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

The Senators are a very good, and interestingly enough, a very likable team. They are the first team since the Thrashers that I harbored no malicious feelings towards going into a playoff series.

Old
04-08-2012, 06:21 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyday Im Hagelin View Post
Are you sure it's a dump? I'm pretty sure it's a piss...
There have been rumors circulating that if i'm not sitting at a 65 degree angle on my favorite chair during the game the Rangers have been known to lose over 90% of the time...

It's a shame i'm not going to be home for the entire first round of the playoffs...

Old
04-08-2012, 06:23 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
The Senators are a very good, and interestingly enough, a very likable team. They are the first team since the Thrashers that I harbored no malicious feelings towards going into a playoff series.
Same. They're my favorite team in the East besides the Rangers. Ironically enough, if they somehow defeat us, I'll be rooting for them to win the whole thing.

Old
04-08-2012, 06:24 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
There have been rumors circulating that if i'm not sitting at a 65 degree angle on my favorite chair during the game the Rangers have been known to lose over 90% of the time...

It's a shame i'm not going to be home for the entire first round of the playoffs...
So you're confirming It's a dump?

Old
04-08-2012, 06:27 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyday Im Hagelin View Post
So you're confirming It's a dump?
That's what the statisticians in Toronto are telling me. Yes.

The only way we're getting out of this series with a win is an embargo of enamas in Ottawa.

Old
04-08-2012, 06:30 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
That's what the statisticians in Toronto are telling me. Yes.

The only way we're getting out of this series with a win is an embargo of enamas in Ottawa.
I'm calling Stephen Harper right now! #therightway

Old
04-08-2012, 06:31 PM
Neil Patrick Harris
Playoffs right MEOW

I've heard the Senators win 63% of the time if Potvin tells the fans a story from his playing years.

McLean is planning to have him travel with the team

Old
04-08-2012, 06:33 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Patrick Harris View Post
I've heard the Senators win 63% of the time if Potvin tells the fans a story from his playing years.

McLean is planning to have him travel with the team
The Garden will tell him a story. It's two words long.

"Potvin Sucks!"

Old
04-08-2012, 06:36 PM
Neil Patrick Harris
Playoffs right MEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
The Garden will tell him a story. It's two words long.

"Potvin Sucks!"
Damn, he'll have to counter with Potvinisms.

If you're in the stands at MSG and you hear an old man yelling, "He reminds me a lot of me!" or "I think I knew that, but I didn't know that!", you'll know he's in the building. Hiding somewhere.

Old
04-08-2012, 06:57 PM
NewYorkStranger

Wonder who we will draw in the second round. It will probably be NJ which would be great. Looking forward to that series for sure.

Old
04-08-2012, 07:03 PM
Ice Hockey

as it stands i don't have any hate for the sens. i definitely respect their team (right now). the only way i see us losing is if hank chokes, we can't score and the sens have lights out goaltending. let's hope that doesn't happen. hank still needs to prove himself in the post season and so do the rest of the rangers

Old
04-08-2012, 07:08 PM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkStranger View Post
Wonder who we will draw in the second round. It will probably be NJ which would be great. Looking forward to that series for sure.
I can't wait either.

Closed Thread