HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Savard named Senior VP? (Savard denies rumor)

Closed Thread

Old
04-08-2012, 06:48 PM
Lshap

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargent Pepper View Post
The best is Bilingual.....everyone agrees, including the organization.....the only one not supporting this are the anglo-Montrealers. That pretty much says it all, no? There is a high end list of candidates and frankly....most of them are on everyone's radar, not just in Montreal....
No, the best isn't necessarily bilingual. We're trying to fill a hockey position, not a PR position. Please stop confusing the two and assuming both jobs MUST be filled by the same person. There are some brilliant guys from Quebec, just like there are some brilliant guys from elsewhere. There are some current GMs who may become eligible once their playoff run ends -- do we seriously disqualify them because of language??? Do we seriously say, "You're the best qualified to help the team win, except you don't speak french. Sorry." Yes, people in the Habs organization must speak french, but in my opinion it shouldn't have to be the same people whose job it is to win games. Create a PR position if necessary, hire a media guy, but when it comes to the on-ice product, hire the guy who can best win hockey games - period. If he speaks french, great. If not, he can learn, and in the meanwhile the media can talk to the Assistant GM or VP or anyone else who does speak french.

Nashville doesn't require their coach to play bluegrass; Vancouver doesn't make its GM learn chinese. No other team eliminates candidates based on a non-hockey skill. If ours is the only team that eliminates candidates for PR reasons, it means we've shrunk the talent pool and increased the odds that we've missed the best candidate.

Old
04-08-2012, 06:49 PM
Sargent Pepper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Lamb View Post
Well I agree that the NHL is a gate driven league but I think you are changing from fans to ticket sales to suit your arguement.Ticket sales across the league are going up but Montreal has been sold out for several years.The double digit growth in advertisement ,digital media and merchandise sales as stated NHL.com April 13,2011continues this year and is a growing revenue source for all teams .So if I spend any money in the NHL, am I not a fan.On Friday March 30th ,I paid a lot of money to cheer for the Habs at Madison Square Gardens ,and proudly wore my Lafleur #10. Are you saying I don't deserve a say , I can't have an opinion just because my name is not Tremblay ?
The immediate environment that the Habs operates in is predominately French Canadian. The team has recognized that and understand the need to manage the team for the market they operate in. Gate revenues, Media, Publicity revenues, etc. are geared mainly toward the French Canadian and the French Canadians have made the Habs 'Their' team. Out of 35 media showing up daily for interviews and press conference, 25+ are French Canadians. Like any business, the Habs needs to cater to their predominantly French Canadian clients much like the Dodgers in LA are catering to the predominately Spanish market they operate in. Its only good business.

The money you paid for the tickets at the MSG is pocketed by the Rangers, not the Habs. Although you have a say, your influence on the team is minimal as the team will be listening primarily to their immediate market (as any good business would).

As I said before, I am proud that the Habs have fans all over but those pocket of fans do not drive the business plan for this Montreal based business. The Habs are also catering to the English Canadians living in Quebec (Montrealers, for the most part) as they should. At the end of the day, its market pressures that determines the path of any business and the Habs are no different than any other business in that perspective. The team will remain predominantly French and given what was heard and read in recent week, will likely increase that French visibility to cater to the market demands. Pure Business 101 stuff....

Last edited by Sargent Pepper*: 04-08-2012 at 06:55 PM.
Old
04-08-2012, 06:51 PM
Sargent Pepper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
No, the best isn't necessarily bilingual. We're trying to fill a hockey position, not a PR position. Please stop confusing the two and assuming both jobs MUST be filled by the same person. There are some brilliant guys from Quebec, just like there are some brilliant guys from elsewhere. There are some current GMs who may become eligible once their playoff run ends -- do we seriously disqualify them because of language??? Do we seriously say, "You're the best qualified to help the team win, except you don't speak french. Sorry." Yes, people in the Habs organization must speak french, but in my opinion it shouldn't have to be the same people whose job it is to win games. Create a PR position if necessary, hire a media guy, but when it comes to the on-ice product, hire the guy who can best win hockey games - period. If he speaks french, great. If not, he can learn, and in the meanwhile the media can talk to the Assistant GM or VP or anyone else who does speak french.

Nashville doesn't require their coach to play bluegrass; Vancouver doesn't make its GM learn chinese. No other team eliminates candidates based on a non-hockey skill. If ours is the only team that eliminates candidates for PR reasons, it means we've shrunk the talent pool and increased the odds that we've missed the best candidate.
Argue all you want, Savard, the man hired to identify the next GM has already stated publicly that the next GM will be Bilingual. Enough said as their is no need to revisit that decision.

Also, I am offended that you compare the French Canadians to minorities in other market. It shows very little knowledge of the market the Habs operate in and the market these other teams are operating in. It is also somewhat condescending of you to pretend that no bilingual candidate can do the job like the 'best man' you refer to and suppose an English uni lingual candidate....

Last edited by Sargent Pepper*: 04-08-2012 at 06:59 PM.
Old
04-08-2012, 06:58 PM
Connor McJesus
Praise

lol

he's offended

Old
04-08-2012, 07:00 PM
Sargent Pepper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vsevolod Bobrov View Post
lol

he's offended
Do you ever contribute here or just keep making irrelevant comments has you have been today? Just curious...

Old
04-08-2012, 07:01 PM
Connor McJesus
Praise

Do you ever contribute here or just keep crying about french while you don't even live in Quebec ?

Old
04-08-2012, 07:02 PM
pine*

Quote:
The immediate environment that the Habs operates in is predominately French Canadian. The team has recognized that and understand the need to manage the team for the market they operate in. Gate revenues, Media, Publicity revenues, etc. are geared mainly toward the French Canadian and the French Canadians have made the Habs 'Their' team. Out of 35 media showing up daily for interviews and press conference, 25+ are French Canadians. Like any business, the Habs needs to cater to their predominantly French Canadian clients much like the Dodgers in LA are catering to the predominately Spanish market they operate in. Its only good business.

The money you paid for the tickets at the MSG is pocketed by the Rangers, not the Habs. Although you have a say, your influence on the team is minimal as the team will be listening primarily to their immediate market (as any good business would).

As I said before, I am proud that the Habs have fans all over but those pocket of fans do not drive the business plan for this Montreal based business. The Habs are also catering to the English Canadians living in Quebec (Montrealers, for the most part) as they should. At the end of the day, its market pressures that determines the path of any business and the Habs are no different than any other business in that perspective. The team will remain predominantly French and given what was heard and read in recent week, will likely increase that French visibility to cater to the market demands. Pure Business 101 stuff....
So basically what you're saying is, in order of priorities:

1) Most important: Catering to French market
2) Of secondary importance: Winning

???

Old
04-08-2012, 07:05 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Argue all you want, Savard, the man hired to identify the next GM has already stated publicly that the next GM will be Bilingual. Enough said as their is no need to revisit that decision.

Also, I am offended that you compare the French Canadians to minorities in other market. It shows very little knowledge of the market the Habs operate in and the market these other teams are operating in.
I like Savard and respect what he's done. It's just a shame that my Habs are confined to a smaller talent pool than every other team.

My comparison of minorities had nothing to do with size or importance. The Nashville/Vancouver examples were just off the top of my head. I'm not sure how this reflects poorly on Quebecois or why it would offend you -- it wasn't my intention. The only point I was trying to make is that no other NHL team limits its talent pool. We do.

The real irony is that the NHL will keep moving further away from both Quebec and Canada as rosters become more and more international.

Old
04-08-2012, 07:06 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post
If you didn't look at it through the lens that you tend to view every topic through, you might see the similarities between their situations.
After looking at Cliff Fletcher's record as a hockey player with the TML, I can see the similarities.

The two are exactly the same.

Old
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Actually I think we should revisit it if you're saying it's already been decided as such. Because the decision is idiotic.

Old
Lafleurs Guy

And so this is now a rumour? What a laugh. RDS is a joke.

Old
04-08-2012, 07:12 PM
overlords
#BargainBanned

Denied by the man himself, and is really not much more than a rumor at this point. The conversation is also converging with that of the coach/GM candidate thread, so continue there.

Closed.

Closed Thread