HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Its great being underdogs !

Old
04-08-2012, 07:18 PM
SgtJoseph

vCash: 500
Its great being underdogs !

Watched the NHL channel pre-playoff special today, and found it interesting that everyone on the panel has the Pens beating Philly in 6,and one analyst has the Pens in 5.....They pretty much based their predictions on the Pens being healthy now and sporting 4 strong lines with a solid goalie in Fleury....

Personally i agree that the Pens have an excellent hockey club,and i am not surprised the "experts" are all picking the Pens......But if i were a betting man i would take Philly in 6 0r 7.I think the Flyers are quite capable of beating a healthy Pens club,and i see Jagr turning up the wick, along with Briere, Shenn, Harts, Simmonds etc....This club thrives on being an underdog and fighting adversity, and i see this as just another hurdle to knock down.Should be a great series.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 07:23 PM
Orange Crush 89

Over in 4.

Orange Crush 89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 07:29 PM
Top Cheese Danish

I watched it too. Best part was when one of the analysts was like, "Let's face it, the Flyers overachieved this year."

Top Cheese Danish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 07:33 PM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedinSandwich View Post
I watched it too. Best part was when one of the analysts was like, "Let's face it, the Flyers overachieved this year."
I had a chuckle at that too......With good goal tending we can play with anyone in my opinion....Need a few breaks along the way too, as do the rest of the teams.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 07:36 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush 89 View Post
Over in 4.
NOT i think this series is going to come down to one player for the flyers and his name is Ilya Bryzgalov if the new improved one shows up we go to round 2 if the old one reappears we are out 1 round. And for the rest of the playoffs as long as the new Ilya Bryzgalov stays we can beat anybody if he disappears we are done.

Remember the name Ilya Bryzgalov he could end up being MVP in this years playoffs.

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 07:41 PM
BWAVgal
Clever comment here

vCash: 176
We do need Briere back, he is Mr. Playoffs. Need Grossman back as well.

BWAVgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 07:42 PM
FlyersMania2

Yeah and the one who said in 5 was Paul maurice and I am pretty certain he doesn't know much about hockey based in the teams he coached. I do like being the underdog as well

FlyersMania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 07:43 PM
FlyersMania2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange View Post
NOT i think this series is going to come down to one player for the flyers and his name is Ilya Bryzgalov if the new improved one shows up we go to round 2 if the old one reappears we are out 1 round. And for the rest of the playoffs as long as the new Ilya Bryzgalov stays we can beat anybody if he disappears we are done.

Remember the name Ilya Bryzgalov he could end up being MVP in this years playoffs.
Love it! Anyone on HFBoards could tell u how much I have loved Bryz since his Ducks days. Nothing would make me happier than to see him be the hero of Philly

FlyersMania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 08:38 PM
Brostradamus
LegionOfDoom Reunion

You better believe that Lavs is just going to use this as fuel in the locker room. The Flyers play better when they are overlooked.

Brostradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 08:39 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

For some odd reason i'm not even worried about this series.

Flyers are being discredited in so many ways.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 08:40 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

we need playoff Briere
angry Coburn
trolling Hartnell
confident Bryz
Æsir Timonen

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 08:50 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
if bryz is solid, we'll win

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 10:50 PM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
I really see us taking this in 6... we just need bryz to play well, not even steller, just well.

But man... if we lose this... I don't think I will be able to visit the forums for a while, lol.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 11:11 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionofDoom627 View Post
You better believe that Lavs is just going to use this as fuel in the locker room. The Flyers play better when they are overlooked.
I don't know how all these analysts are dismissing the Flyers out of hand. I realize Pittsburgh has a good team, but the Flyers have played them really well. The Flyers haven't played Boston very well and were blanked by the Rangers, but I would not concede a series against ANY of them.

And, of course, for the Flyers to make it to the finals they'd have to beat all three.

As much as I love this team, to get that much out of a team with some key injuries and 6-7 rookies in the lineup is very unlikely. If Pronger was playing, the Flyers would be among the favourites to win the East. Without him, we're probably the 4th best team, and that might not be enough this year.

I think they can beat the Pens if they play their best. Let's hope they do. We need Bryz to step up, Kimmo to stay healthy and Grossmann and Briere to come back strong.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 11:18 PM
fauxflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
Watched the NHL channel pre-playoff special today, and found it interesting that everyone on the panel has the Pens beating Philly in 6,and one analyst has the Pens in 5.....They pretty much based their predictions on the Pens being healthy now and sporting 4 strong lines with a solid goalie in Fleury....

Personally i agree that the Pens have an excellent hockey club,and i am not surprised the "experts" are all picking the Pens......But if i were a betting man i would take Philly in 6 0r 7.I think the Flyers are quite capable of beating a healthy Pens club,and i see Jagr turning up the wick, along with Briere, Shenn, Harts, Simmonds etc....This club thrives on being an underdog and fighting adversity, and i see this as just another hurdle to knock down.Should be a great series.
I too like the underdog role for this team as it coul help to keep them playing with fire, but too much adversity with the injury situation can be a big factor too. With Mez out, and Timonen banged up, Grossmann's ability to come back and play like he did before is among the keys to this series imo. Another is, of course, Bryz has to be "good Bryz" not bad Bryz...and I'm not so sure I've seen that since he got back from that chip fracture. Briere's status is also somewhat of a concern also, as he usually raises his game in the post-season...we need these guys to be healthy and on their game to beat these guys.

I love what all the rookies and young players have brought to the team, and the depth they give us helps a ton, but I also have to wonder how they will perform under playoff pressure, philly style? Can they be counted on? I'd like to think so, but would understand if it was all too much for some of them. I think this team has the talent and capability to beat any team in a series if they work hard enough, but all things considered I think they'll be hard pressed to beat the Pens as dinged up as they are, as the Pens get mostly healthy here. Pens in 6 or 7 would be my prediction but wouldn't be that surprised to see the Flyers take it either...and if they do, I hope they will have enough left (healthy players/energy) to face their subsequent foes.

fauxflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 12:18 AM
Riptide

Quote:
With good goal tending we can play with anyone in my opinion....Need a few breaks along the way too, as do the rest of the teams.
If the Flyers are healthy and Bryz is good, then this series could easily be a toss up going into game 7, with the Flyers getting a slight edge due to their depth. If Pronger was healthy, then I don't think it would even go 7.

However if they're not healthy or Bryz isn't playing lights out, then I think it's the Pens to loose (still likely to go 6 or 7).

One thing I will say, is that I'd rather the Pens have matched up against ANYONE else in the east other than the Flyers.

Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 01:06 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
If the Flyers are healthy and Bryz is good, then this series could easily be a toss up going into game 7, with the Flyers getting a slight edge due to their depth. If Pronger was healthy, then I don't think it would even go 7.

However if they're not healthy or Bryz isn't playing lights out, then I think it's the Pens to loose (still likely to go 6 or 7).

One thing I will say, is that I'd rather the Pens have matched up against ANYONE else in the east other than the Flyers.
If the Flyers are healthy (including Pronger) and Bryz is good, the series wouldn't make it to 7 games.

04-09-2012, 02:04 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

ifs and butts ladies. IF Pronger was healthy then we wouldn't even be playing the penguins.

If Bryz is on his game we are going to take this series, and when we do, I really see us looking at the cup. The penguins are the first step in winning the stanley cup. We will steamroll anyone else with the confidence we get from beating the penguins

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 02:19 AM
Rick Deckard

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 05:38 AM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauxflex View Post
I too like the underdog role for this team as it coul help to keep them playing with fire, but too much adversity with the injury situation can be a big factor too. With Mez out, and Timonen banged up, Grossmann's ability to come back and play like he did before is among the keys to this series imo. Another is, of course, Bryz has to be "good Bryz" not bad Bryz...and I'm not so sure I've seen that since he got back from that chip fracture. Briere's status is also somewhat of a concern also, as he usually raises his game in the post-season...we need these guys to be healthy and on their game to beat these guys.

I love what all the rookies and young players have brought to the team, and the depth they give us helps a ton, but I also have to wonder how they will perform under playoff pressure, philly style? Can they be counted on? I'd like to think so, but would understand if it was all too much for some of them. I think this team has the talent and capability to beat any team in a series if they work hard enough, but all things considered I think they'll be hard pressed to beat the Pens as dinged up as they are, as the Pens get mostly healthy here. Pens in 6 or 7 would be my prediction but wouldn't be that surprised to see the Flyers take it either...and if they do, I hope they will have enough left (healthy players/energy) to face their subsequent foes.
Agreed on pretty much everything except for your prediction... not that I'm making any predictions. I'm going into full-on red level jinx protection mode from here on out.

To the bolded: One thing the rookies have really seemed to excel at this season is toughness and a fairly high maturity level (I guess that's two things ). I'm way less worried about the number of rookies in our lineup than I thought I'd be. It seems they've all weathered the storm of the regular season pretty damn well.

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 07:53 AM
RespectTheCouts
He Eats Souls

Being the underdog, I believe works well for this team, having a team over acheive for an entire year isn't overachieving you are an actually good team, that being said I think guys like Giroux, Hartnell, Talbot, and Simmonds thrive on the underdog role, being wrote off by the "experts" to me the biggest piece of this series is Bryz, if he continues his awesome play this series will go all the better for the Flyers, but I'm prepared for a terribly biased series with Bettman's hand helping the Pens every chance he can, which will be all the better if Philly takes it

RespectTheCouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 10:08 AM
JayQueensNY88*

Quote:

I come in peace...all i have to say is this series goes 7 games....I hate the Pens more than any other team in the Atlantic. Whos going to take it ,I d K,Pitts is a good hockey club and being the refs blow the pens,you guys may be in for a tough series!!!!

good luck Flyers

Last edited by CanadianFlyer88: 04-09-2012 at 10:16 AM.
JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 11:34 AM
YuioIklo

vCash: 100
If we have playoff Briere and 2nd half Bryz, we take this easily.

YuioIklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 11:59 AM
BernieParent

I'm keeping my expectations very low.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 12:01 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
I'm keeping my expectations very low.
Same here. My preseason expectation was first round exit. With our injured D corps, injured Briere, and Bryz with a foot issue that may or not be healed I don't know how good the chances are.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote