HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

St. John's Ice Caps Inaugural Season Thread.

Old
04-02-2012, 09:08 AM
IceCapsFanNL

vCash: 500
I think it will only be Mahachek.

IceCapsFanNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 09:28 AM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge11 View Post
at least WPG didnt make the playoffs so some players will be sent back down
Probably Spencer Machacek and Patrice Cormier, but outside of that, I didn't see anyone on the Clear day list that is on the NHL team.

04-02-2012, 11:35 AM
axecrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCapsFanNL View Post
Just found this post. Not to pick on the original poster, but I guess its hard to figure out how a team put together from two organizations will do. IceCaps clinched the Atlantic Division Saturday night. We need some bodies back if we are going anywhere in the playoffs, but that's another story.
Not hard at all when the majority of that team quit playing about half way into last season...cost a good coach his job. But that's more to the parent club and not the Chicago Wolves...kinda hard to be motivated when you don't think there's a chance for you to move to the next level, plus let's be honest....they've played better due to less distractions and a good gm at the NHL level. Plus let's be honest...the rock isnt exactly a hotbed of nightlife like Chicago.

axecrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 11:59 AM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Just found this post. Not to pick on the original poster, but I guess its hard to figure out how a team put together from two organizations will do. IceCaps clinched the Atlantic Division Saturday night. We need some bodies back if we are going anywhere in the playoffs, but that's another story.
So, how did the starter from last year's Wolves do this year in St. John's? Mannino? Not so good? Where is he?? ECHL??

So your goaltending was suspect but Chevy dumped Mannino where Waddell made us keep him and keep playing him.

Their record this year cannot be compared to last years. Weaker and easier schedule (they were always guaranteed their home games in a row like Abbotsford and (last year) Manitoba had since it takes so long to get there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by axecrew View Post
Not hard at all when the majority of that team quit playing about half way into last season...cost a good coach his job. But that's more to the parent club and not the Chicago Wolves...kinda hard to be motivated when you don't think there's a chance for you to move to the next level, plus let's be honest....they've played better due to less distractions and a good gm at the NHL level. Plus let's be honest...the rock isnt exactly a hotbed of nightlife like Chicago.
Puck bunnies are everywhere......

But Axe is right about the NHL organization. Chevy is more willing to get rid of mopes than Waddell. When Chevy was in Chicago for the Wolves, he would sit the mopes.

Tommy Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 06:11 PM
IceCapsFanNL

Quote:

Let me take you down to George Street..you might reconsider your view on St. John's nightlife. St. John's has more bars per capita than anywhere else in Canada

Old
04-02-2012, 06:12 PM
IceCapsFanNL

Quote:
Why didn't they play for the coach??

I think the few additions from the moose improved the team as well

Old
04-03-2012, 01:22 AM
axecrew

Quote:
Why didn't they play for the coach??

I think the few additions from the moose improved the team as well

Pretty simple actually...when you have a ********* organization like Atlanta as the team that drafts you, it's very easy to get discouraged and quit playing and want out.

Who wants to be in an organization who won't promote from within and their "plan" was to either ram-rod kids into the NHL or go get useless high priced, underachieving vets. Atlanta's track record for promoting draft picks from the minors was abysmal at best.

As for your george street.....I'll put up the Chicago nightlife against it any day of the week....remember Chicago is the home to millions of people and the nightlife reflects that.....it has tons of 4 and 5 star restraunts and clubs in it......

Old
04-03-2012, 08:34 AM
IceCapsFanNL

Quote:
As for your george street.....I'll put up the Chicago nightlife against it any day of the week....remember Chicago is the home to millions of people and the nightlife reflects that.....it has tons of 4 and 5 star restraunts and clubs in it......
I'd love to experience Chicago, I am sure its a hoot.

I'd think if you spent time here, you'd be surprised how vibrant a nightlife we have for a metropolitain area with a population of 200 K.

Cheers!

Old
04-03-2012, 08:37 AM
IceCapsFanNL

Pretty good summary of the Caps injury woes.

http://www.thetelegram.com/Sports/20...s-not-enough/1

Old
04-03-2012, 10:15 AM
axecrew

Quote:
I'd love to experience Chicago, I am sure its a hoot.

I'd think if you spent time here, you'd be surprised how vibrant a nightlife we have for a metropolitain area with a population of 200 K.

Cheers!
Have actually wanted to get up there since you guys had the baby leafs all those years ago....
If all that was said holds true, you'll have your chance to come to Chicago next season...was told that the AHL realized that it made a mistake by not scheduling you to play the Wolves this year because of the obvious reasons,was told that t is in the works for next year's schedule. We'll see how that goes, would be nice to see our former team come back here again.

Old
04-03-2012, 10:39 AM
Canadienjet

Quote:
Have actually wanted to get up there since you guys had the baby leafs all those years ago....
If all that was said holds true, you'll have your chance to come to Chicago next season...was told that the AHL realized that it made a mistake by not scheduling you to play the Wolves this year because of the obvious reasons,was told that t is in the works for next year's schedule. We'll see how that goes, would be nice to see our former team come back here again.
Are you hinting at some sort of realignment? or just pair of games in Chitown?

Would be nice for the former Wolves to come back.

Hope we reduce the games against Hamilton and Toronto to 6 each instead of 8.

Canadienjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 10:06 PM
axecrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadienjet View Post
Are you hinting at some sort of realignment? or just pair of games in Chitown?

Would be nice for the former Wolves to come back.

Hope we reduce the games against Hamilton and Toronto to 6 each instead of 8.
Just games between the 2 teams....talked to Mark Bernard gm of Rockford awhile back and ask him why the schedule was so stupid in respects to that, he said AHL realized they goofed and would take steps to change that next season.

Old
04-07-2012, 08:26 PM
IceCapsFanNL

It's now official. The IceCaps have sold out all of their home games this year!!

Lets hope we can get back some of our 9 regulars who are out with injury!!

Old
04-08-2012, 07:46 AM
Frankie

i think this team is in trouble heading into the playoffs. injuries aside, the goaltending isn't up to par, and even when healthy, there isn't a big scoring threat on this team.

in a 5 game series, they could be out quickly.

Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 11:29 AM
Canadienjet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
i think this team is in trouble heading into the playoffs. injuries aside, the goaltending isn't up to par, and even when healthy, there isn't a big scoring threat on this team.

I agree with you somewhat .

I think we can win a round or two but I dont not expect this team to win it all.

Old
04-08-2012, 01:10 PM
IceCapsFanNL

Quote:

I mostly disagree.

I think with anything like a full line up there are scoring threats on all four lines. This a good thing in that you can't just shut down one line. They have scored by committee all year, this is a good thing.

As for goaltending, it depends is Pasquale gets hot during the playoffs. But that is true for all teams heading into the playoffs.

All of this goes out the window if we dont get half of the injured back.

Old
04-08-2012, 05:44 PM
Frankie

Quote:
I mostly disagree.

I think with anything like a full line up there are scoring threats on all four lines. This a good thing in that you can't just shut down one line. They have scored by committee all year, this is a good thing.

As for goaltending, it depends is Pasquale gets hot during the playoffs. But that is true for all teams heading into the playoffs.

All of this goes out the window if we dont get half of the injured back.
we've been hearing the whole, "four lines deep, can't just defend against one line" nonsense all year. it might work during the regular season, but its tough in the playoffs when you don't have any true dangerous threat. there's nobody to rely on, there's no "go to" player on this team. i think that will come back to bite them.

the goaltending has been just average all year. either of them could get hot, of course, but how likely is that?

if they can get past the first round, i think they have a chance to go all the way. if they get into "playoff mode" and get past their first 3 out of 5 series, they'll go to the finals.

but i suspect they'll be upset in the first round, and injuries will be the excuse.

Old
04-08-2012, 07:06 PM
IceCapsFanNL

Anyone can lose a best of 5. You wouldn't need to offer an excuse.

Old
04-08-2012, 07:19 PM
IceCapsFanNL

Quote:
we've been hearing the whole, "four lines deep, can't just defend against one line" nonsense all year. it might work during the regular season, but its tough in the playoffs when you don't have any true dangerous threat. there's nobody to rely on, there's no "go to" player on this team. i think that will come back to bite them.

the goaltending has been just average all year. either of them could get hot, of course, but how likely is that?

if they can get past the first round, i think they have a chance to go all the way. if they get into "playoff mode" and get past their first 3 out of 5 series, they'll go to the finals.

but i suspect they'll be upset in the first round, and injuries will be the excuse.
Frankie is a poster who wishes that the QMJHL had returned instead of the AHL. He is very much in the minority here in St. John's and is rather bitter that all of us AHL fans don't see the error of our ways. The team has been sucessful off the ice and on the ice. I am sure Frankie is just looking for everything to crash and burn so he can say, I told you so.

Lets hope he never gets the chance to find out how unsuccessful the Q would be if it came back

Old
04-08-2012, 07:51 PM
Trevor3

I had finally managed to get tickets to the Caps game against Portland last Wednesday, went out for supper before the game and got sick...ended up missing the game. Luckily, tickets seem to be equal to currency in this city and I had a taker for them within 5 minutes. Sadly, I missed my only chance to see a game during the inaugural season , I'm not even trying to playoff tickets, I would rather maintain all my bodily appendages.

But yeah, nowhere in Canada matches the distraction that is downtown St. John's. Every major city has its 4 and 5 star restaurants, you go for a meal and a drink, a nice time. George is just crazy, I've gone out in major cities and nothing compares to it...nothing but bars, bands, pubs, and girls running around in high heels and short skirts no matter if its 20 above or 20 below. If I was a young pro hockey player, I'd be havin' and time.

The often claim is most bars per square foot in North America. Per capita I'm not sure, but as a fun aside, I know my hometown of Stephenville has a ratio of 1 bar to every 479 people. St. John's would need 222 bars to better that ratio, any idea how many are in the city?

Back on topic, St. John's = AHL. I love the Q, but it will never work in Newfoundland unless it comes as a two team expansion to create an instant rivalry so the fans have something to get into. And there is no secondary market where the Q could work in this province, unfortunately.

Trevor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 06:43 AM
IceCapsFanNL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor3;

Back on topic, St. John's = AHL. I love the Q, but it will never work in Newfoundland unless it comes as a two team expansion to create an instant rivalry so the fans have something to get into. And there is no secondary market where the Q could work in this province, unfortunately.
thats one way to make the Q work, but the other markets are indeed too small

Old
04-09-2012, 07:06 AM
Frankie

Quote:
Frankie is a poster who wishes that the QMJHL had returned instead of the AHL. He is very much in the minority here in St. John's and is rather bitter that all of us AHL fans don't see the error of our ways. The team has been sucessful off the ice and on the ice. I am sure Frankie is just looking for everything to crash and burn so he can say, I told you so.

Lets hope he never gets the chance to find out how unsuccessful the Q would be if it came back
there won't be any "i told you so". the icecaps have sold out 38 straight games. obviously fans in st. john's love their ahl hockey, and they love danny williams.

if people prefer watching the likes of garth murray and david aebischer instead of nathan mckinnon and mikael grigorenko, that's great for them. the latter two kids will never play in the ahl. over 14,000 watched them go head to head friday night in quebec city. but st.john's fans aren't interested in up and comers, only much older has-beens.

personally i'd prefer a junior team, but i didn't think that would preclude me from having an opinion on the icecaps chances in the playoffs.

Old
04-09-2012, 07:44 AM
Canadienjet

I just wanted hockey back in my hometown weather it be QMJHL,ECHL,AHL never mattered to me.Games have been a blast to go to this year and I hope this can continue.

Like I said on the Jets board it appears we will draw the Syracuse Crunch in round one.

Old
04-25-2012, 12:14 AM
McGreat One

Quote:
there won't be any "i told you so". the icecaps have sold out 38 straight games. obviously fans in st. john's love their ahl hockey, and they love danny williams.

if people prefer watching the likes of garth murray and david aebischer instead of nathan mckinnon and mikael grigorenko, that's great for them. the latter two kids will never play in the ahl. over 14,000 watched them go head to head friday night in quebec city. but st.john's fans aren't interested in up and comers, only much older has-beens.

personally i'd prefer a junior team, but i didn't think that would preclude me from having an opinion on the icecaps chances in the playoffs.
You're right, I would have loved to see the likes of Mckinnon and Gregerenko but in all honesty having the best quality hockey Mile One can accommodate is much more important to me. You can't deny the fact that the AHL is a much more skilled, faster paced league than the Q. The skill level is far superior overall and the players are bigger and faster which makes for better quality hockey.

Also if you're going to try to make a point about the quality of players in the AHL, why would you bring up a 4th liner and backup goalie? Sure these guys are probably past their primes, but what about guys like Postma and Cormier who will more than likely be playing in the NHL next season? And what about Machacek who showed at the latter part of this season that he his quite capable of keeping up with the guys in the bigs?

There is nothing wrong with you wanting a Junior team as opposed to an AHL team and there is nothing wrong with you having an opinion on the IceCaps as I'm sure you'd like to see them do good much like the rest of us. But if you're going to come up with reasons why we'd be better off with a Junior team rather than an AHL franchise at least come up with a better argument than people wanting to watch "much older has-beens" like Cormier, Postma and another old geezer like Mark Scheifele who we'll have the unfortunate pleasure of watching tomorrow night.

Last edited by McGreat One: 04-25-2012 at 12:34 AM.
McGreat One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 03:47 PM
Trevor3

Just some videos from St. John's media about the IceCaps. CBC is going to town with IceCaps coverage this evening. To those of you not from the rock, "news" is few and far between most nights and this is one of them. 90 minutes of supper hour news, at least 45 will be about the AHL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Up67j...ature=youtu.be - Little feature from CBC's weatherman

http://www.cbc.ca/nl/features/caldercup/ - CBC Calder Cup Coverage, I recommend watching the April 25 story on the left side in the video corner.

http://ntv.ca/?p=1562 - Post Game 3

http://ntv.ca/?p=1468 - Pre Game 3

http://ntv.ca/?p=1185 - Before Playoffs began, the benefits of IceCaps hockey to the downtown.

Trevor3 is offline   Reply With Quote