HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cory Schneider / Roberto Luongo to Tampa Bay

Old
04-08-2012, 08:58 PM
BarberioTheBarbarian

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
I think Ellis/Josi have more potential and offensive upside but Tanev but I don't see us trading Connelly unless we get a goalie back and so that's where Tanev comes in. He's playing close to top 4 minutes on the best team in the league so he can't be that bad, plus he's more of a shutdown D and we need someone like cause our D was so bad. I also think he'll make Brewer not look so bad.
If we got Josi then that would most likely mean Suter was re-signed. So that leaves us with a top four of

Hedman-?
Brewer- Josi

BarberioTheBarbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 08:42 PM
turkulad

I think this is a stupid game to play. We all know Schneider would be a great fit for TB. We all know that there are a lot of things in the TB pipeline and roster that are appealing to the Nucks (Connolly, Malone, Purcell) as well as the typical picks everyone on HF loves to build on, even if the team is a frigging former runner-up and a cup champion candidate.

Everyone here is doing an analysis of Schneider's value based on his current status and resume. But nothing matters more than this years playoffs. Does Vancouver win it or not? Do either of their goalies totally melt down or alternatively catch fire and lead them to the cup? What are the biggest strengths of this years PO edition of the Nucks, what about the weaknesses? Those things also define the biggest needs for the team next year, and also help one calculate the value of TB assets for Vancouver. If Kassian and Booth catch fire, we don't need that power forward that bad anymore, just saying.

Wait until the draft.

turkulad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 09:51 PM
Rocky-

As A Canuck fan- I would personally rather trade Luongo than Schneider. If Luongo falters in the playoffs it is more than likely he will be the one traded. 1/2 the fans don't have faith in him based on several playoffs. If he falters again- he will lose 90% of his support and he will need to go.
As for Schneider the Canucks control his destiny. Any offer sheet will be matched- no question. We know Yzerman loves him. We also know Columbus, Toronto and several other teams covet him as well. That raises the stakes on any trade offers made. The theory goes that since he's not a #1 then he hasn't proven anything therefore any trade will be a a reduction. Won't happen. Tanev by the way isn't going anywhere. Certainly not as a throw in. If the Canucks win the cup and Luongo gets them there- Schneider will be traded- but for a price. Otherwise put your bids in for Luongo- he very well might be your starting goalie next year. He's a good goalie- just question is is he a winner. But forget Tanev. By the way I like TB's team- with a good goalie they can win the cup.

Rocky- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 11:13 PM
Rocky-

Steve Yzerman was one of my favourite players. A really intelligent guy and is well on his way to being a great GM. I would be surprised if he doesn't collect a Stanley Cup as a GM. Having said that- Mike Gillis is not stupid either. I'm not even sure he would look at trading for Connolly as our top 6 is pretty good. I can see Raymond going but we have some promising wingers coming through the system. 10th overall pick- while nice doesn't compensate for a 2004 pick in Schneider drafted and brought through the system. So 10th overall- look at a decent prospect 3 years away- maybe 2? Canucks have a pretty good team- they didn't get there by trading future stars for prospects.

Old
04-10-2012, 12:03 AM
HoseEmDown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky- View Post
Steve Yzerman was one of my favourite players. A really intelligent guy and is well on his way to being a great GM. I would be surprised if he doesn't collect a Stanley Cup as a GM. Having said that- Mike Gillis is not stupid either. I'm not even sure he would look at trading for Connolly as our top 6 is pretty good. I can see Raymond going but we have some promising wingers coming through the system. 10th overall pick- while nice doesn't compensate for a 2004 pick in Schneider drafted and brought through the system. So 10th overall- look at a decent prospect 3 years away- maybe 2? Canucks have a pretty good team- they didn't get there by trading future stars for prospects.
Schneider was the 26th pick of 04 and Tanev was undrafted, we potentially are offering 2 top ten picks. Schneider has been good but it's taken him 8 years and he's still not a #1 goalie. Tanev has had a great season but he needs to show he can do it consistently. Connelly didn't have the best rookie season but he's only 19 and he made it into the league in his second year after being drafted and the probable 10 pick can be ready to contribute in 2-3. I'm saying is we are offering prospects but ones with more potential and ones not that far away. If you don't win the cup this year some changes will be needed. We would like Luongo but with that contract we can't afford him unless you want bad contracts back too.

HoseEmDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 12:07 AM
BarberioTheBarbarian

Lecavalier for Luongo

BarberioTheBarbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 12:14 AM
PoundCake
Go Bolts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarberioTheBarbarian View Post
Lecavalier for Luongo
More like Malone TBH

PoundCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 01:05 AM
Rocky-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarberioTheBarbarian View Post
Lecavalier for Luongo
I'm not sure of options but I think for me Luongo is a cheaper price than Schneider. Luongo's contract is front loaded and the cap hit is decent. There is an out for the team in a few years if wanted.
Many of us see what TB fans, other fans see and which make Yzerman smile at the possibility of getting Schneider. We also see Luongo's failings. No question he's a good goalie- but he has faltered badly in the playoffs a few times. He either wins or I seriously think Gillis looks at trading him. His wife is from Florida. The fans in Vancouver will be be unrelenting on Luongo if he fails this year and Gillis trades Schneider. It won't be pretty. If Luongo carries the Canucks to the Stanley Cup- then Schneider definitely gets traded. I personally think Schneider is the better goalie. You get him and you are one giant step closer to the cup. I really believe that. I certainly love T.B.'s offensive power.
Having said all that even T.B. news is saying to get him is going to cost. 10th pick (never mind 24th or whatever it is) plus Connolly are the least I see- probably more. I'm not even sure the Canucks want Connolly- not because of talent but they have a very good top 6 with some promising talent coming. Tanev is a promising dman who isn't going anywhere. He'll replace Salo. Canucks view him as part of future top 4. Raymond is available.
Good goalies are at a premium this year. Several teams fretting over it. TB, Columbus, Toronto, possibly Chicago, Islanders, Calgary, NJ possibly too. Bottom line Schneider 38-17-4 68 games 2.24 928% that means you have to pay to get him. Is he worth it? Well I don't want Gillis to trade him. I'd do a deal on Luongo personally. So Tanev, Schneider and Hansen (or insert wish here) for 24th pick and Purcell or even Connolly I don't see it. Though I do see TB having the best chance of anyone getting him- just it will cost. My guess Gillis would want your 10th & 24th and Connolly maybe more. Other options are other teams who I see also putting in very strong offers or Canucks matching- ie if he's offersheeted 14 mill over 3 years Canucks match. They worry about trading a goalie at the deadline or keep both. It's a good problem for the Canucks. They can't lose by keeping him which is my hope. I also read Yzerman must improve his goalie situation. Bernier, etc. are also available. They won't probably cost as much but they will carry a premium.
That's the way I see it. But I would consider Stamkos for Schneider. Just kidding. PS Good Luck to the Lightning.
PS_ cheer for the Canucks and Luongo. It will improve your chances of getting Schneider.

Last edited by Rocky-: 04-10-2012 at 01:17 AM.
Old
04-10-2012, 06:48 AM
HoseEmDown

Gillis can want the 10th & 26th + Connelly all he wants but he's not getting that. Tell me a goalie that's been traded for 3 1st round picks. I think Schneider is good but Van fans are way overvaluing him big time. SY isn't an idiot and won't overpay for anybody. The problem with Luongo besides his salery is that he's 32, most goalies start to fall off a bit as they age so I'm not sure he's our long term fix. We do have a few aging stars so if we did get him we can make a run for the next 3 years.

Old
04-10-2012, 10:09 AM
Rocky-

Quote:
Gillis can want the 10th & 26th + Connelly all he wants but he's not getting that. Tell me a goalie that's been traded for 3 1st round picks. I think Schneider is good but Van fans are way overvaluing him big time. SY isn't an idiot and won't overpay for anybody. The problem with Luongo besides his salery is that he's 32, most goalies start to fall off a bit as they age so I'm not sure he's our long term fix. We do have a few aging stars so if we did get him we can make a run for the next 3 years.
That's cool. Then you aren't getting Schneider which is fine by me. Good Luck!

Old
04-10-2012, 10:21 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
That's cool. Then you aren't getting Schneider which is fine by me. Good Luck!
Thank you, Mr. GM.

PS - Nobody wants Lou. Stop trying to pawn off your bad contracts on us, thanks.

Still think Bernier is the target. LA has a poor offense, we have offensive prospects, they have defensive prospects and a goaltender.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 10:32 AM
Rocky-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genius Brian Lawton View Post
Thank you, Mr. GM.

PS - Nobody wants Lou. Stop trying to pawn off your bad contracts on us, thanks.

Still think Bernier is the target. LA has a poor offense, we have offensive prospects, they have defensive prospects and a goaltender.
Your very welcome Mr. Genius.
There is interest in Lou. No secret a number of teams are looking for upgrades in goal and a premium on price is going to have to be paid- whether for Schneider, Bernier or other. From Canucks standpoint- decision whether to trade Schneider or Luongo has not been made yet. Their will certainly be a lot of interest for Schneider if the Canucks do in fact decide to trade him. A package of Malone, the 26th pick or(insert similar offer here) for Schneider and Tanev- well good luck with that. SY will need Plan B which is cool with me.

Old
04-10-2012, 10:34 AM
PoundCake
Go Bolts!

Quote:
My guess Gillis would want your 10th & 24th and Connolly maybe more. Other options are other teams who I see also putting in very strong offers or Canucks matching- ie if he's offersheeted 14 mill over 3 years Canucks match. They worry about trading a goalie at the deadline or keep both. It's a good problem for the Canucks. They can't lose by keeping him which is my hope. I also read Yzerman must improve his goalie situation. Bernier, etc. are also available. They won't probably cost as much but they will carry a premium.
I would not be surprised if the price for Schneider is 2 1sts and a top prospect. I would also not be surprised to see a team make that trade. I do think though that if the price is that high, Yzerman will look elsewhere. Betting the farm on a goalie is a huge gamble, no matter how good he is. I do think though that Yzerman will be willing to trade a lot more than most of us Tampa fans are willing to admit (Purcell ).

Luongo would only be an option for Tampa if a significant cap hit was going the other way (Malone). That would require 2 players to both waive their NTC, so that's pretty unlikely.

Quote:
PS_ cheer for the Canucks and Luongo. It will improve your chances of getting Schneider.
That is my exact train of thought actually

Old
04-10-2012, 10:52 AM
ThunderAlleyNomad

All in favor of getting Schneider but not at that kind of cost. Connolly and both 1sts? Not a fan of trading off the future for one guy. Can't speak for Yzerman, but I somehow doubt that's in his plans at all.

Perfectly happy with Bernier if Schneider is too pricey. He'll be expensive as well, but LA doesn't have as many options and there is no way they are looking at trading away their #1 goalie.

ThunderAlleyNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 11:09 AM
Rocky-

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundCake View Post
I would not be surprised if the price for Schneider is 2 1sts and a top prospect. I would also not be surprised to see a team make that trade. I do think though that if the price is that high, Yzerman will look elsewhere. Betting the farm on a goalie is a huge gamble, no matter how good he is. I do think though that Yzerman will be willing to trade a lot more than most of us Tampa fans are willing to admit (Purcell ).

Luongo would only be an option for Tampa if a significant cap hit was going the other way (Malone). That would require 2 players to both waive their NTC, so that's pretty unlikely.

That is my exact train of thought actually
Good post. I concur.
If I was GM- I would look to trade Luongo before Schneider except- if Luongo wins the Cup. Then he earns the right to be #1 in Vancouver and Schneider goes to the highest bidder because he deserves to be a #1 in the NHL. I just hope it's in Vancouver. He lets in a lot fewer soft goals than Luongo does. So for TB's sake- cheer for the Canucks and Luongo. If Luongo fails- he's the one probably gone and I don't argue it may be some salary dump coming back though there is interest in him so it won't be a bad trade.
The fact is it's not just TB that has interest and the Canucks do not have to trade him. SY as great as he is and I think very highly of him- is under pressure to get a goalie. Failing that where is TB at next year? Advantage Vancouver or L.A. or ?
I don't think the Canucks care who they trade who to if they get back a better package than what somebody else offers. That is the bottom line. Next year there will be several teams with goaltending problems even after trades. That drives the price up.
From a personal standpoint- Schneider deserves to be a starter. I believe he will be an elite goaltender. I want the Canucks to keep him but I can see that they may trade him because of circumstance- not because of wanting to.

Old
04-10-2012, 11:29 AM
BoltSTH

If the price for Schneider and Bernier is too high, what about Kipersoff? 2 years left at $5.8m cap hit, but salary of $5m and $1.5m, 35 years old and still playing a lot and well.
Flames need a rebuild and cap space.
Then use Detroit's 1st to draft one of the Russian goalies in case Tic falters.

BoltSTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 02:12 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Malone won't waive for Vancouver.

I do take back part of what I said, there is a market for Lou because there are bad GM's in this league and teams that need to get to the cap floor. Fact is, Lou folds under pressure and without a really, really good team around him, you're not in good shape. He damn near gave away the CHI series last year, he looked awful in the olympics, and I have little to no faith in him as a starter on a team with a worse defense. I hope one day he can settle in, but I just dont see it at this point and I don't want anything to do with that.

I don't think either team has any huge advantages in this situation as Schneider wants to play and wants to be paid. Tampa needs a goaltender, but Bernier could be available and Harding could be hitting the market looking to get paid, too.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 02:53 PM
Rocky-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genius Brian Lawton View Post
Malone won't waive for Vancouver.

I do take back part of what I said, there is a market for Lou because there are bad GM's in this league and teams that need to get to the cap floor. Fact is, Lou folds under pressure and without a really, really good team around him, you're not in good shape. He damn near gave away the CHI series last year, he looked awful in the olympics, and I have little to no faith in him as a starter on a team with a worse defense. I hope one day he can settle in, but I just dont see it at this point and I don't want anything to do with that.

I don't think either team has any huge advantages in this situation as Schneider wants to play and wants to be paid. Tampa needs a goaltender, but Bernier could be available and Harding could be hitting the market looking to get paid, too.
I agree completely. Which is why I want the Canucks to keep Schneider. While I think TB has great players and a couple pieces from another run or even winning another cup there is going to be a cost to getting a good goalie. I like Kiprusoff too but Calgary wants young guys and won't be cheap. So whatever happens it isn't going to be cheap and perhaps even fair- depending on your point of view.
Yzerman is a smart guy. He may not get his 1rst choice (he might) but TB is in good hands and that is the key to success.

Old
04-10-2012, 02:53 PM
I Am Beat You

Salary aside I think Luongo would be a great fit. He is criminally underrated nowadays.

I Am Beat You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 03:03 PM
LightningStrikes

How's Luongo's NTC structured anyway? Has he to supply a list of 10 or 15 or is he able to veto any trade?

Also, Canucks fans seem to forget that Schneider wants to play too. He wants to be a #1. If he can't be a #1 in Vancouver... do the math. RFA or not.

That said, in case Yzerman can't land Schneider or Bernier for whatever reason there is still Josh Harding. The guy is 27 years old and played a solid season in Minny (.917, 2.62 in 34 games). He's not my prime target and kind of a gamble as well but he's probably the best UFA goalie this year.

Other notable UFAs would be Vokoun, Brodeur. Notable backups: Nitty, Biron, Gustavsson (please no), Clemmensen...

If we can't get a longterm solution in net this off-season there are still guys like Vokoun (UFA) and a bunch of guys with 1 or 2 more years left on their deals we could try and trade for: Thomas (1 year left at $5 million cap hit), Khabibulin (1 year, $3.750 million), Giguere (1 year, $1.250 million - unlikely we get him), Kipper (2 years, $5.833 million). I hope we don't do that, though.

I hope we get Bernier. I could live with Vokoun for 1 or 2 years too. Harding - I don't know TBH. Kind of a dark horse as well (never played more than 34 games per season).

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 03:06 PM
Rocky-

Just a note on NTC's. It is true a player with an NTC has control but if he is not wanted it is likely he will provide at least a list of teams he would consider leaving to.
In Luongo's case the fan base can dictate his destiny. Falter again and it's going to be really hard to justify trading Schneider and keeping Luongo. I don't see a future in Vancouver for Luongo if this happens. I may be mistaken but I believe Luongo lives in Florida, his wife is in Florida so he "could" be? open to a trade there or other places. I doubt he'd reneg a trade if he is going to be booed every night. The flip side is guys with NTC's do sometimes waive them- especially if they like the destination/organization etc.
The other interesting comment is from Schneider. Paraphrased he said he loves Vancouver, loves the fans, etc. and he would love to stay.

Old
04-10-2012, 03:36 PM
PoundCake
Go Bolts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alaskan Assassin View Post
Salary aside I think Luongo would be a great fit. He is criminally underrated nowadays.
I know right. What Tampa fan would honestly not take Luongo?

His contract really isn't as bad as people say either. The cap hit is less than what he is currently worth. The only thing that sucks is the length.

Old
04-10-2012, 04:07 PM
HoseEmDown

How bout our 2nd + Ohlund for Luongo? We keep our 2 1st and Connelly, Van gets rid of Luongo and his contract. Schneider can be your starter and we give you a cap hit that may retire so you'll save 8 mil.

Old
04-10-2012, 04:57 PM
Rocky-

Quote:
How bout our 2nd + Ohlund for Luongo? We keep our 2 1st and Connelly, Van gets rid of Luongo and his contract. Schneider can be your starter and we give you a cap hit that may retire so you'll save 8 mil.
You know- for me personally I'd consider that although realistically I'd see what my options were and do the best deal possible. I always loved Ohlund- good dman good guy not sure now how he is at end of career or his cap number. The key here is the cap savings. With cap savings we could go after bigger fish- perhaps Weber in a year?

Old
04-10-2012, 05:12 PM
Rocky-

I don't see Ohlund working here- more geared toward decent prospects/picks.