HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Elmer Lach

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2006, 12:11 AM
arrbez
bad chi

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Elmer Lach

How come he's almost never talked about?

In the 11 seasons they spent together, Richard lead the team in points 5 times, and Lach 4 (including the year Richard scored 50).

They both won a Hart trophy, and Lach lead the league in scoring twice (Richard never did). I believe he also retired with the record for assists in a season and a career.

I'm not saying he was as good as Richard, but why is he always relegated to "sidekick" status, or forgotten altogether?

I'm curious to see where he's ranked on the various lists some of you guys have out there...

Last edited by arrbez: 02-28-2006 at 12:22 AM.
Old
02-28-2006, 01:19 AM
pnep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrbez

I'm curious to see where he's ranked on the various lists some of you guys have out there...
#43 in my "HHOF Monitor" (all players).
#25 (without def. and goalies)

Last edited by pnep: 02-28-2006 at 01:36 AM.
Old
02-28-2006, 07:03 AM
mcphee

I'll leave the statistical comparisons to others.
A guy I've worked with over the years caddied for Elmer Lach years ago and said you could never meet a finer gentlman. I brought my father [ he can't get out on his own these days] to see a 9 year old friend of the family play hockey. The old man told the kid that he reminded him of a young Elmer Lach, which I found particularly funny because Mr. Lach retired approx. 41 years before the young man was born.

Old
02-28-2006, 10:51 AM
Crosbyfan

He had the "Spanky" hairdo.

Old
02-28-2006, 11:39 AM
Weztex

A very overlooked hockey player. Center of one of the most dangerous line of all-time, Lach retired as the all-time NHL leader in point. The HHOF panel of expert projected him to win the Conn Smythe in 1946 where he scored the winning goal in OT. Unfortunately in played in the shadow of the Rocket.

Old
02-28-2006, 11:58 AM
Snap Wilson

He ranks #1 on my list of athletes named Elmer, easily beating out Elmer Flick and Elmer Vasko.

Old
02-28-2006, 01:00 PM
justsomeguy

A wonderful man to chat with. Had the pleasure of an extended conversation with him a few years ago. Great story teller, sharp memory of events over a half-century ago and a very clear in his opinions on the game as it is played today.

One of the toughest guys in the league in his day and a masterful playmaker. Probably overlooked because he came along after the heyday of Lalonde, Morenz and Joliat but had retired before the "Drive to Five" years.

One of my favorite hockey photographs is the one taken moments after Lach scored the Cup-winner in 1953. It shows he and Richard in a high-impact embrace (Lach broke his nose on Richard's forehead) in the center of the frame but off to one side sits a visibly very dejected Milt Schmidt, who's giveaway resulted in the goal.

Old
02-28-2006, 01:20 PM
tinyzombies

Ricci did a good job playing him in the movie.

Old
03-01-2006, 08:58 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneyp
He ranks #1 on my list of athletes named Elmer, easily beating out Elmer Flick and Elmer Vasko.
Did they call him Moose Lach ? I'm getting mixed up.

Old
03-02-2006, 09:38 PM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrbez
How come he's almost never talked about?

In the 11 seasons they spent together, Richard lead the team in points 5 times, and Lach 4 (including the year Richard scored 50).

They both won a Hart trophy, and Lach lead the league in scoring twice (Richard never did). I believe he also retired with the record for assists in a season and a career.

I'm not saying he was as good as Richard, but why is he always relegated to "sidekick" status, or forgotten altogether?

On my list, Elmer Lach is the 27th greatest player of all time (no goalies). He is also tied for 12th on my all time assist list.

Closed Thread