HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

April 9 & 10 lines and D posted: Grossmann (knee) and Briere (back) both practiced

Old
04-08-2012, 08:27 PM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

vCash: 500
We need Grossmann and we need Briere to be clutch in the playoffs no doubt....so mad at that Vitale punk...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 09:08 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
He has had a flu or reportedly a sinus infection. He would have played if the game was more significant. The emergency recall is predicated on the fact that there were only 11 healthy bodies at forward with the absence of Giroux. The situation is amplified because of the timing but something similar happened earlier in the year when Bryzgalov had the flu and Jason Bacashihua was the emergency recall.
Ah OK, I didn't know he did actually have a flu or a sinus infection. Of course it's pure speculation now in regards to what exactly happened, so I'm not going to delve into it further. However, if everyone here is convinced it was just an excuse to rest him, then I'm sure someone out of the Flyers community must have gotten word of it, as well. And if they have, and if the league officials know about that, then it boggles my mind how they don't impose sanctions against such actions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
The "emergency recall" is a total joke. I became convinced of it this season. There basically is no limit to post-trade deadline recalls a team can make, because you can label everything an emergency recall.
I haven't been paying much attention to what the other teams have done in regards to this, but it's ridiculous if they do just have emergency recalls on false claims. On the other hand, I do realize it's practically impossible to weed this out fully, since you either trust the team's doctors or have your own going around inspecting people, which I don't think is the best solution, either.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 09:35 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
I haven't been paying much attention to what the other teams have done in regards to this, but it's ridiculous if they do just have emergency recalls on false claims. On the other hand, I do realize it's practically impossible to weed this out fully, since you either trust the team's doctors or have your own going around inspecting people, which I don't think is the best solution, either.
Yea it's tough. What annoys me more is an emergency recall, and then the guy doesn't even play. I believe it was Gus who was recalled for Kubina, but then Kubina played the same night. IMO, the NHL should mandata that if someone is recalled as an emergency, the player they are being recalled for (bc they have to declare that), MUST sit out. You can't allow emergency recalls because you MIGHT have an emergency IMO. You either have one, or you don't. No maybes.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 10:15 PM
Pourquoi pas

Quote:
Yea it's tough. What annoys me more is an emergency recall, and then the guy doesn't even play. I believe it was Gus who was recalled for Kubina, but then Kubina played the same night. IMO, the NHL should mandata that if someone is recalled as an emergency, the player they are being recalled for (bc they have to declare that), MUST sit out. You can't allow emergency recalls because you MIGHT have an emergency IMO. You either have one, or you don't. No maybes.
Well, the question is - at what point it OFFICIALLY becomes an emergency recall? Before the match starts and that recalled player is in the line-up (or obviously some time before, when it's definitively decided), there is no reason to let anyone officially know that some player travelled from one city to another.. or is there?

Pourquoi pas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 10:15 PM
Ryker

Quote:
I agree, this would be a great starter towards weeding out fake emergency recalls, although it wouldn't solve the problem of teams resting players in the final games by evading the limit on the number of recalls. I guess the latter is just something the league turns a blind eye to willingly, though.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 10:38 PM
NewYorkFlyerFan

Quote:
If the NHL didn't have the BS 4 call up rule or whatever it is post trade deadline. The rule as a whole is a joke. So teams need to find ways around it.

NewYorkFlyerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 10:59 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
I agree, this would be a great starter towards weeding out fake emergency recalls, although it wouldn't solve the problem of teams resting players in the final games by evading the limit on the number of recalls. I guess the latter is just something the league turns a blind eye to willingly, though.
The limit on recalls prevents teams from recalling their entire minor league team for game 82, or for the last 20 games for tanking teams.

There is no reasonable way of limiting the number of emergency recalls based on illness. Who is to judge if Giroux's sinus infection was serious enough to warrant sitting out? No one. At this point in the year, 80% of players have a nagging hurt that could get a doctor's note.

The league turns a blind eye to reasonable emerg. recalls and the limit prevents wholesale tanking.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 11:01 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersMania2 View Post
Someone just made a great point on Twitter...

Though let me say first Crosby > Briere

Imagine the Briere/Vitale situation except it's Crosby/Rinaldo...clean hit at end of game on a player with concussion problems.

How would the Pens/NHL react?
If it was the EXACT SAME HIT, no differently. It wasn't late (there was a minute left), he had the puck, he didn't target the head... completely legal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Yes, they should recognize the situation and not skate with their heads down.

You play hard to the end and you defend your own. No issue with what Bylsma, Vitale or Laviolette did. Briere got what you expect when you try to get cute in the middle of the ice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevUpThoseFlyers View Post
A totally unnecessary hard hit late in the game when their team was losing that resulted in an injury.
LOL. You play the full 60 minutes. You don't stop playing when the game is out of hand. You don't pass up a chance to lay the body (as long as it's legal). Does it suck that Briere might miss some time? Yes. He's a talented player and even if he's a stud in the post season, I'd rather he be healthy. But he has no one to blame but himself. He skated up the middle of the ice with the puck with his head down. And he got what every player who does this got... he got rocked. You don't want to hurt them, but you don't let up on them either.

This is hockey. You play whistle to whistle for 60 minutes. It's a contact sport.

Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 11:25 PM
The Cheat
Habitual Linestepper

Send a message via AIM to The Cheat Send a message via MSN to The Cheat
^^^ so would you lay someone out with 2 seconds remaining in the neutural zone if up by 2 goals?

The Cheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 11:25 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
If it was the EXACT SAME HIT, no differently. It wasn't late (there was a minute left), he had the puck, he didn't target the head... completely legal.
And Rinaldo would get a match penalty, two game suspension. Same thing Grossmann would get for an identical knee-on-knee as Orpik did to Stepan.

Just like he got a 5 minute major for a clean body check again on Sunday.

There are two sets of rules in the NHL, one for the Pens, one for everyone else.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 12:14 AM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cheat View Post
^^^ so would you lay someone out with 2 seconds remaining in the neutural zone if up by 2 goals?
There was 1:03 left in the 3r, so yes I would lay someone out. I'd do it if I was up by 3 goals. You give it your all every shift for the full 60 minutes.

If there was only a few seconds left... honestly I don't know. Part of my would like to think I wouldn't with 2 seconds left, as nothing is going to happen. However if it was 10+ seconds (easily enough time to score), I don't think I would think twice about it, and would level them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
And Rinaldo would get a match penalty, two game suspension. Same thing Grossmann would get for an identical knee-on-knee as Orpik did to Stepan.

Just like he got a 5 minute major for a clean body check again on Sunday.

There are two sets of rules in the NHL, one for the Pens, one for everyone else.
********. Here's where the bitterness creeps in. I watched replay after replay of the Orpik/Stepan hit. And while he hit him knee on knee, Orpik didn't move his leg at all. Did he deserve the penalties? Yes. Was it suspend-able no.

The player doesn't come into account until it's an illegal action (at least not for off ice decisions). As for the 'clean' hit on Sunday, would I have handed out a penalty? More than likely, however him getting tossed was the refs trying to ensure that the game wouldn't get out of control. That's a lot different than him getting suspended after the fact.

If you're so against the Pens, why didn't Steckel get some major suspension for laying out Sid? Or Hedman? You're saying their the NHLs darling and nothing happens to them, and everything goes their way. This is simply not true.

The Pens are not a squeaky clean team - however no team is (other than perhaps Detroit). Crosby and Malkin are both chippy players who use their sticks a bit more than I'd like, however they're always the center of attention and receive their fair share as well, so I can understand it. Not that that's any defense to cross check someone in the back well after the whistle (I mean seriously?).

Lots of things don't get called... I also remember seeing Malkin sitting in the box after using his stick on several occasions on Sunday. It happens, and it goes both ways.

Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 10:04 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2362
Today's practice is underway and indications are pointing towards Briere playing in Game 1, per Tim P.

Tim P.'s Twitter remark:
Quote:
Danny Briere expected to be a player to start this series. NOT so for JVR

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 10:05 AM
thelos
Bunk

Good news! Any word on the lines MSE?

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 10:06 AM
Cmoneyflyguy

Quote:
Today's practice is underway and indications are pointing towards Briere playing in Game 1, per Tim P.
Giddy the eff up

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 10:15 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Lines:
  • 19-28-68 (Hartnell - Giroux - Jagr)
  • 10-48-93 (Schenn - Briere - Voracek)
  • 47-24-17 (Wellwood - Read - Simmonds)
  • 27-14-36 (Talbot - Couturier - Rinaldo)

Defense pairs:
  • Coburn-Grossmann
  • Carle-Timonen
  • Bourdon-Lilja

Extra skaters: Kubina-Shelley

(source: Sam @ Inq.)

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 04-09-2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old
04-09-2012, 10:21 AM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Big lift for the team having Grossmann and Briere both ready for gm1

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 10:23 AM
DUHockey9

Kubina is really an extra skater?

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 10:25 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
As of now, for today's session.

Old
04-09-2012, 10:25 AM
thelos
Bunk

Quote:
Lines:

Defense pairs:
  • Coburn-Grossmann
  • Carle-Timonen
  • Bourdon-Lilja

Thanks. Is Kubina nursing an injury or something? or is actually going to sit out game 1

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 10:27 AM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

are there any black aces yet? I assume no, since the Phantoms season isnt over with yet

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 10:28 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

^ Nothing yet with any callups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge11 View Post
Thanks. Is Kubina nursing an injury or something? or is actually going to sit out game 1
Holmgren hasn't indicated anything regarding an injury to Kubina (since his return from injury).

The fourth D pair, in essence, at practice is Kubina and Shelley.

That could always change but that is how it currently stands.

Old
04-09-2012, 10:28 AM
mirimon

Quote:
Maybe he's got some nagging injury? It would perhaps explain his sub-par play since returning from injury. Could be that he wouldn't have played these final games if Grossmann hadn't been injured.

A bit surprised that they've swapped Voracek and Simmonds like that. The lines seemed to gel pretty nicely before Brière's injury.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 10:36 AM
Brostradamus
LegionOfDoom Reunion

Great to see Briere and Grossmann out there skating with the team, we need them Wednesday night.

Brostradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 10:40 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Lines:

Defense pairs:
  • Coburn-Grossmann
  • Carle-Timonen
  • Bourdon-Lilja

I love it..

I guess Kubina is hurt again?

Honestly, I still cannot believe that we are going to ice 6 rookies in playoffs against top team like Pittsburgh. Assuming Kubina is out.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 10:42 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroglycerin View Post
I love it..

I guess Kubina is hurt again?
He's skated with Shelley basically as the extra D pair. I'm sure that'll be addressed after the session.