Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Season Evaluation

Old
04-08-2012, 01:43 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
Season Evaluation

The season is over and I thought we should evaluate it, highlighting both the positives and the negatives.

I would like to hear criticism on a micro scale too, pehaps evaluating each player, call-up, and staff member. Let's evaluate their stats, consistencies, and controversies. Basically, how did the Calgary Flames do this season?

MarkGio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 01:45 PM
Signature
PEEP PEEP PARTY

vCash: 50
They didn't make the playoffs.

I think that speaks volumes for this topic, on a broad scale.

Signature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 02:03 PM
Medium Rare*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autograph View Post

yeah it says the team finished exactly where most flames fans said they would, right on the playoff bubble almost a coin flip as to whether they get in or not. and this was done after trading away a couple core players and getting younger.

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 02:04 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autograph View Post

Yeah I guess. 9th place and 5 points out of a spot tells you the conclusion, but doesn't exactly tell you the story.

Old
04-08-2012, 02:23 PM
tfong

My prediction early in the year was they miss the playoffs by 2-3 wins, I was pretty close on that prediction.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 02:33 PM
MarkGio

I'll highlight a few players:

Matt Stajan - Had a poor start to the season, but when given some ice time and offensively capable wingers, he proved to be effective and confident. Brent Sutter is eating crow about Stajan right now. IIRC, Stajan had 4 assists and 1 goal on the forth line, and since then, he now has 8 goals and 10 assists. Pretty compelling story right there.

Anton Babchuck - Didn't really spend any time on the ice prior to the last two months of the season, but he looked like he picked up where he left off. His stats are 2 goals and 8 assists in 32 games, but 32 games seems like a really high number(maybe it's just me) for someone who only played the last two months. Regardless, he shown he's eager to shoot the puck when its given to him. His defense isn't something special, but he usually looks good with puck in his stick. Another reason Brent Sutter is eating crow?

Michael Backlund - A real disappointment this year. He was playing in Brent Sutter's wet dream defensively, but had absolutely no confidence with the puck. He got into the dirty areas, but had rock hard hands and could only bang at the puck or shoot it at the goalie's logo. Those top six minutes were probably too soon, and it probably put way too much pressure on Backlund. He definately needs to be given some breathing room next year to be creative with the puck.

Tom Kostopolous - Was given the opportunity of his career this year, did not progress. It's not TKO's fault, as he's always trying regardless of his ice time, but it's hard to believe any goals will come from the fourth line when guys like TKO play there. Unfortunately he was given top six minutes over guys like Stajan, Byron, Bouma, Horak, etc., so perhaps he's another crow to munch on and nothing more than energy.

Old
04-08-2012, 02:36 PM
Flames Fanatic
Truculent Fan

We moved out a bunch of guys, like Langkow, Regehr, Bourque, etc. and the results were the same. 9th place finishes suck.

The only thing that I'm pleased with is how some of the young guys played, both in the NHL and in the developing leagues.

I want to see some big shakeups in the offseason. 3 straight years out of the playoffs means it's not going to work.

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 03:23 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
We finished exactly where we thought we would just out of the playoffs but competed for a playoff spot the entire season. I know we shouldn't use injuries as an excuse but they certainly hurt the team. Feaster made several good trades in the last year (Butler and Cammy) Hopefully we can move out some more older parts for younger assets and move forward. I would prefer not to move Iggy but if it is seen as the best move then we should do it.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 04:41 PM
MarkGio

Flames Stats

14th (tied for 13th) in Goals Against at 217
24th (tied for 25th) in Goals For with 199 goals.

Shoot-out
3 shoot-out wins and 9 shoot-out losses.
27th in shooting percentage during the shoot-out with 21.4% (only 9 goals)
22nd in saving percentage during the shoot-out with 61.4% (17 goals allowed)

Penalties
13th in penalties(in minutes) per game with 10.8
13th in total penalties with 355

Special Teams
13th in PP% with 17.7% (46 pp goals on 260 opportunities)
20th in PP opportunities
9th in PK% with 84.3% (42 pp goals against)
14th in times short-handed

Real-time
26th in Hits
16th in Blocked shots
3rd fewest in missed shots
3rd most give-aways

8th in take-aways
30th in face-off percent

By Period
4 wins when trailing after the 1st period (22nd in the league)
4 wins when trailing after the 2nd period (20th in the league)
18 wins when leading after the 1st period (20th in the league)
27 wins when leading after the 2nd period (13th in the league) with no regulation loses

Score first/trail first
25 wins when scoring first (17th in the league)
12 wins when trailing first (2oth in the league)

Shots
24th in the league with Shots against
26th in the league with Shots for
25th in the league in wins when out-shooting the opposition (11 wins)
8th in the league in wins when being out-shot (23 wins)

Last edited by MarkGio: 04-08-2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old
04-08-2012, 05:24 PM
MarkGio

Looking at the numbers, we did OK defensively, but it's probably attributed to Kippers' sensational 2.35 GAA and .921% considering we allowed so many shots against.

We were terrible offensively. We had only 4 players with 20 or more goals (Iggy, Glencross, Cammy, and Jokinen), while Tangs and Stempniak were our secondary scorers. Stajan, Comeau, Backlund, Kostopolous, Jones, Jackman, Moss, Horak, and Byron had less than 10 goals.

Most of our goal scorers clearly got them from the power play, because in every category we were terrible offensively except the power play.

Old
04-08-2012, 05:28 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

Positives: Young guys.
Negatives: Inconsistency.

Flames **** the bed in the last 15 games like last season. I still remember how heart broken I was after that 6-1 loss to San Jose, especially when things were looking good. Things were looking great this year too, but like an abused wife, I've learned to live with it and continue on being an empty, emotionless shell of a person.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 05:56 PM
DBU
Gotta Go Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Jay Feaster View Post

Flames **** the bed in the last 15 games like last season. I still remember how heart broken I was after that 6-1 loss to San Jose, especially when things were looking good. Things were looking great this year too, but like an abused wife, I've learned to live with it and continue on being an empty, emotionless shell of a person.
What? The results of the SJ games were 2-1, 1-0, 4-3, and 3-2. Maybe you mean Edmonton? If so, I agree. That was just a disgrace of a game.

DBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 06:26 PM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

Positives: Brodie, Bouma, Bartschi, Irving

Negatives: The veterans except Kiprusoff.

Review: Note good enough. Time to make whole sale changes.

CGYPUKSUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 07:01 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Sauce View Post
What? The results of the SJ games were 2-1, 1-0, 4-3, and 3-2. Maybe you mean Edmonton? If so, I agree. That was just a disgrace of a game.
I meant the San Jose game last season. My bad. Flames were something like 6-3-1 going into that game IIRC, and it just went downhill after that.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 07:19 PM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

I mean they couldn't even continue to crap the bed so the team could pick 11-13th. Instead here we are dying for more youth like Bartschi and we're picking in the middle of the pack.

Feaster needs to make some daring moves.

King In The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 08:52 PM
saillias

We finished 9th. Mathematically, "best" out of the non-playoff teams. Realistically we finished in the worst position in the league, and can blame King and ownership for their win now mandate, blame Feaster for doing nothing at the trade deadline (and being fooled twice).

saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 09:15 PM
reign of fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Jay Feaster View Post

You are exactly right. They finish like 4 and 10 every year rather than 10 and 4. Just once I'd like to see them finish strong rather than one gutless performance after another. Then when they are out...boom two nice wins. Its pathetic. I blame the leadership(Iggy/Blowmeester) If anyone dared even kick a garbage can in the Flames dressing room, Iggy and Jblo would scurry to pick up the tape balls
They had 5 wins in a row late this year and go lose to the Coilers and CBJ that one weekend. Done.

reign of fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 01:13 AM
MarkGio

My evaluation on a few more players, with all stats relative to Flames players:

Comeau - 5 goals and 10 assists is terrible for someone who had 15:27 minutes of ice time per game. But Combs loves to put the puck on net (4th in shots) and loves to hit (third in hits). His ratio of give aways to take aways is pretty good relative to Flames players (33 GvA & 37 TkA), and his defensive game is relatively good too (4th in relative corsi). Although his actual points don't say much, he's a good energy guy.

Hannan - Won't shoot the puck (18th in shots), he's got a -10 on the season, and he doesn't have a great take away to give away ratio (39 GvA & 13 TkA). His corsi numbers are bad (last in relative), but he's good for blocking (2nd in block shots). Not good stuff for a defensive defensemen on a defensive team.

Moss - He seems to be hitting (1.34 hits/game), blocking shots, and shooting the puck at a fair rate, relative to the rest of the team. Poor production, but good corsi numbers and saw a fair amount of ice-time when healthy. He was given a golden opportunity when he shortly centered the top line for a few games, but he didn't do much of anything. His biggesd problem is that he's never healthy. Other than that he's not a bad guy to have on a 4th line, but that's probably it seeing as how his shooting percent is horrendous.

Stempniak - He too likes to shoot and hit. Really good corsi numbers and has a fair ratio of give aways to take aways (27GvA & 35 TkA). His production numbers aren't great, but he was on pace for nearly 19 goals. Not too bad secondary scoring to have, as he has fair shooting percentage relative to other Flames players.

Old
04-09-2012, 01:29 AM
Medium Rare*

I am working on my evaluations of players, I am going to do every player that touched the ice for us so it might take a while since we used like a million players

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 02:30 AM
mjw22

Missed the play offs for 3rd year in a row with an old team thats getting older. Ownership & King lead the list of problems on this ship of fools.

mjw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 04:07 AM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGYPUKSUX View Post
Positives: Brodie, Bouma, Bartschi, Irving

Negatives: The veterans except Kiprusoff and Glencross.

Review: Note good enough. Time to make whole sale changes.
Fixed

Double Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 01:02 PM
Flames Fanatic
Truculent Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Dion View Post
Fixed
Glencross didn't finish the season that well.

He played great all season, but when we needed someone to stand up offensively at the end of the season, Jokinen, Iginla, Glencross were all absent. Cammy was arguably the only forward who did show up in the last 8-10 games.

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 01:04 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fanatic View Post
Glencross didn't finish the season that well.

He played great all season, but when we needed someone to stand up offensively at the end of the season, Jokinen, Iginla, Glencross were all absent. Cammy was arguably the only forward who did show up in the last 8-10 games.
This is very true even Iginla spoke to this. But Glencross still had a career year and play his heart out.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 01:17 PM
tfong

No complaints from me on Glencross, for what he is and what we pay him I think he did fine. The scoring slump was not ideal but then again where we're the key players during that?

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 01:53 PM
Sean Monahan
#Moneyman

Glencross would've been a 30 goal score if he didn't have those injuries.

Can't complain even though he did disappear down the stretch.

Sean Monahan is offline   Reply With Quote