HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

You had me at goodbye.

Old
04-08-2012, 04:41 PM
Bring Back Bucky

vCash: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
If you're not royally pissed off at this point, I'd suggest (and I don't do this very often, at all) that you're not really a fan of the team. Or you're a masochist. Or a you've been a longtime Detroit Lions fan, but I guess that's redundant.
I think they are exactly where they looked to be heading in the offseason. If fans can't understand a complete rebuild, I suggest they're going to have TONS of disappointment, not only as fans, but in the real world, too. The Pens and the Hawks didn't become champs from being middle of the road year after year.

Bring Back Bucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 04:49 PM
Bobblehead

vCash: 500
Bob Hartley for coach please....

Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 05:06 PM
McDNicks17
McDavid Cometh

vCash: 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatestOilFan View Post
Besides, there is no reason to believe that Whitney can't have a bounce back season. A full season of rehab on his ankle and a hunger for improvement may be the recipe for redemption.
I'm just not sure he'll ever regain his mobility.

McDNicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 06:22 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

They were talking about Lowe for GM and Nelson for coach on HotStove.

Hahah

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 06:40 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njoy Oilers View Post
You got your new shiney fav team picked out yet Beerfish?

Yeah I thought so.
Silly comment. I like the oilers, i want an arena and i have followed the team for years that isn't going to change.

Does that mean I should clap like a seal when my 78 year old neighbour next door does not get her new sidealks while we build a new arena? I think not.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 06:43 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHaireDevil View Post
This conversation reminds me of the sex education scene from the meaning of life, where John Cleese asks the class how they would get a woman ready for intercourse.

Those Millionaires (of which many are jealous of their wealth) contribute more money in a year in taxes than many posters here will pay in their entire life, never ever coming anywhere close to using up or enjoying the services they have funded, while the rest who pay very little in relation to what they receive cry about the rich and how greedy they are.
thank you. don't you know, Katz is a billionaire; that means, somehow, he is taking us to the cleaners. of course the oilers make about 100 mil a year, (which explains why the EIG sold them so fast), he is in this only for the truck loads of money, so why should we pay for anything? its not like we stand to gain from having a beautiful new facility in our city's downtown.

he is a schyster, we shouldn't pay a dime, the oilers will never leave, government should never contribute to any business whatsoever.. oh yeah, and i want the snow removed in my back alley and potholes repaired.

Last edited by McDNicks17: 04-08-2012 at 08:29 PM.
Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 06:55 PM
Njoy Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Silly comment. I like the oilers, i want an arena and i have followed the team for years that isn't going to change.

Does that mean I should clap like a seal when my 78 year old neighbour next door does not get her new sidealks while we build a new arena? I think not.
Thats just thinking small. Just the impact of the project on the workforce during and after is purely worth it. Pretty sure grandma knows the difference as well. I'll bet you clap like a seal for anything that is a + for you personally as well.

Njoy Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 07:01 PM
Njoy Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
thank you. don't you know, Katz is a billionaire; that means, somehow, he is taking us to the cleaners. of course the oilers make about 100 mil a year, (which explains why the EIG sold them so fast), he is in this only for the truck loads of money, so why should we pay for anything? its not like we stand to gain from having a beautiful new facility in our city's downtown.

he is a schyster, we shouldn't pay a dime, the oilers will never leave, government should never contribute to any business whatsoever.. oh yeah, and i want the snow removed in my back alley and potholes repaired.
The team would have been gone if Katz hadn't have stepped to the plate. The *****ing and whineing would have been unbearable. Once the team is gone and the tumbleweeds are bounceing around, then they might aswell make Calgary the Capital of Alberta.

Last edited by McDNicks17: 04-08-2012 at 08:29 PM.
Old
04-08-2012, 07:22 PM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

Quote:
The sheer idea that these two projects would be mutually excusive is nothing more than fear mongering in all its glory.

Ol' Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 08:03 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Thats just thinking small. Just the impact of the project on the workforce during and after is purely worth it. Pretty sure grandma knows the difference as well. I'll bet you clap like a seal for anything that is a + for you personally as well.
Theres little significant economic impact from having a new arena. If there was it wouldn't require public money to build it I would suspect.

Its not an investment, plus the construction workforce here isn't really hurting for jobs right now.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 09:17 PM
Njoy Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Theres little significant economic impact from having a new arena. If there was it wouldn't require public money to build it I would suspect.

Its not an investment, plus the construction workforce here isn't really hurting for jobs right now.
I'm in that industry, and your wrong! I've down sized this year after years of success. You can never have too much work.
Not sure if you are business person, but if there are subsidies out there for my business. No matter how successful i am, I'm gonna grab it. The billions spent by piss poor government decisions are probably a reason for alot of distrust, but keeping the Oilers is a no brainer. Some of you are willing to go with your bluff that it won't bother you. Ask winnipeg how they enjoyed their dry spell.

Old
04-08-2012, 09:29 PM
Arpeggio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrForever View Post
They were talking about Lowe for GM and Nelson for coach on HotStove.

Hahah
Despite the fact that bringing Lowe back in as GM would probably make reading HF unbearable for a little bit, I can't say I'd personally be against the move. Lowe makes moves, and gets guys he wants. He's not going to dismantle the young core, so I wouldn't be worried about that. The only thing I'd be worried about would be how he handles contracts.

I actually think a guy like Horcoff would be gone faster under Lowe than Tambellini. He's traded a number of guys that you'd think he'd be close with. He might also be a bit more aggressive in bringing in NHL defencemen and solid bottom six forwards than Tambellini is. The year after the lockout keeps my opinion of Lowe pretty high. In the offseason, and then the trade deadline, he filled literally every hole on his team. He wasn't so successful the following seasons, but that 06 season showed me that he could do something that Tambellini has not so far.

I would at least be interested in seeing what Lowe would do this offseason. I doubt it happens though.

Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 09:29 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

I hate it when team discussions turn into arena arguments.

It's tedious.

The right disagrees with the left.

Let's talk about the Oilers not economic aggregates, please.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 09:55 PM
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back Bucky View Post
I think they are exactly where they looked to be heading in the offseason. If fans can't understand a complete rebuild, I suggest they're going to have TONS of disappointment, not only as fans, but in the real world, too. The Pens and the Hawks didn't become champs from being middle of the road year after year.
This wasn't supposed to be a burned year though.

I would just like to know the following: Is Tambo an incompetent, a cynical fall guy, or a patsy?

Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 09:59 PM
aqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
Despite the fact that bringing Lowe back in as GM would probably make reading HF unbearable for a little bit, I can't say I'd personally be against the move. Lowe makes moves, and gets guys he wants. He's not going to dismantle the young core, so I wouldn't be worried about that. The only thing I'd be worried about would be how he handles contracts.

I actually think a guy like Horcoff would be gone faster under Lowe than Tambellini. He's traded a number of guys that you'd think he'd be close with. He might also be a bit more aggressive in bringing in NHL defencemen and solid bottom six forwards than Tambellini is. The year after the lockout keeps my opinion of Lowe pretty high. In the offseason, and then the trade deadline, he filled literally every hole on his team. He wasn't so successful the following seasons, but that 06 season showed me that he could do something that Tambellini has not so far.

I would at least be interested in seeing what Lowe would do this offseason. I doubt it happens though.
That was a great year. I am willing to try anything at this point

aqib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 10:19 PM
Jek McPorkins
Red Six

vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
That was a great year. I am willing to try anything at this point
No doubt, even without the cup run, it was the most fun I've had as an Oilers fan since 1997-98. The big acquisition. Instant respect.

Jek McPorkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 11:12 PM
OilerTyler
Fire MacT!

vCash: 50
I'd feel better with Lowe as GM than Tambo.

Lowe built some decent teams without having any elite talent to work with. Now he has actual stars to build his team around. We know he can bring in some good secondary scoring, role players, goaltending and defencemen because he has done it in the past.

I'd give him another go.

OilerTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 12:13 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
He has never been the sharpest tool in the shed but he had always played physical when he needed to be even if he went over the line at times. I seem to recall a lot of Oiler fans calling for Tambo to sign this guy the last couple of years and Belanger as well for that matter to address the toughness and ever so elusive #3C position.
There was a reason for that, they were solid role players on other teams.
I guess it's all Tambo's fault that they sunk to nothingness here.
Eager was never a solid role player.

His brand of stupidity doesn't add anything constructive to a hockey team. The fact that Tambo signed him to 3 years speaks volumes about the GM's ability to assess the needs of the team.

Big time fail.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 12:46 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
I'm in that industry, and your wrong! I've down sized this year after years of success. You can never have too much work.
Not sure if you are business person, but if there are subsidies out there for my business. No matter how successful i am, I'm gonna grab it. The billions spent by piss poor government decisions are probably a reason for alot of distrust, but keeping the Oilers is a no brainer. Some of you are willing to go with your bluff that it won't bother you. Ask winnipeg how they enjoyed their dry spell.
Quebec City is a better example imo. I think they did fine without an NHL club. Its an interesting cultural city with lots of things to do.

Culturally speaking Quebec City and Winnipeg have always been interesting, somwhat unique places, cultural or musical hotbeds.

Sometimes I think the pluralism of MASS sporting culture might actually make the city less interesting. Its like people are then less caught up in other pursuits and exploring other arts and entertainment.

On a civic level I really don't think pro sports makes much difference at all in the quality of life. I think its a present day notion that a city NEEDS pro sporting teams to define itself. To me all it defines is conformity.

Edmonton was actually a much nicer place to live BEFORE the NHL. With a much more vibrant downtown.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 01:32 PM
YEGman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
...Edmonton was actually a much nicer place to live BEFORE the NHL. With a much more vibrant downtown.
I've been here since 1966. I strongly disagree. Edmonton is still Edmonton and is a great place to live. Even better since the WHA and then the NHL came to town. I don't have to watch hockey and go to rock concerts in the old Edmonton Gardens.

Going to the lunch counter at Woolworth's with my mother for a burger and fries is not my idea of a vibrant downtown.

YEGman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 11:26 AM
poetryingasoline

Original Quote...

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryingasoline View Post
I wish this board would knock it off.

Yeah this game sucked, the reffing sucked and the coaching sucks. But have some f***ing patience. I would sooner delay gratification for another season or two and then dominate for 4+ years then a flash in the pan for two.

A rebuild is not an overnight thing

Quote:
So what is your definition of success and what is your definition of good results for a rebuild. You just said a year or two, thus you expect this team to be a lotto team for the next two years and then like a rainbow unicorn vault into dominance for 4 plus years? You may be in for a rude surprise.

As a fan I want to see results and growth. I see that this year with the PP, face-off wins and to a lesser extent goal tending (Dub has done an excellent job over the last half of the season). I think our PK improved from last year but someone can correct me on that if I am wrong. The development of Eberle, Petry, Hall and Dub are also points to improvement.

Do I expect the team to be a bottom feeder next year? I hope we will end up in the 7th- 12th range and hopefully the year after we should be competing for a playoff spot followed by a number of years of winning seasons with a championship sprinkled in there. Individually I hope RNH can make a huge step forward as well as Gagner (if he is not traded). I am also hoping that Taylor Fedun will make the team and turn into a awesome player after that injury. As for management, we should have a coaching change. I think Renny has been good for the kids, but we need someone who can develop players as well as put the more seasoned players into better roles and to keep them in those roles. I also like Tambo. He is steady and cautious, which IMO is good asset management.

As for me "[expecting the Oilers to be] like a rainbow unicorn vault[ing] into dominance for 4 plus years?" damn rights! I am genuinely sick of people on this message board expecting the Oilers to be competitive right now after three years of sucking. I do not want us to be like the Avs trying to compete for a 8th spot or to be good for two years then take a step back like the Hawks, Canes, Sens etc. I want this team stacked and I want decent (if not stellar) asset management. If that means we suck for 3+ more years in order to have long term dominance then so be it. I will support this team through it all, and if people don't want to then go cheer for the Canucks.

Remember: "He who is prudent and lies in wait for an enemy who is not, will be victorious"

poetryingasoline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 12:05 AM
kmad
Riot Survivor

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote