HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > General Fantasy Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
General Fantasy Talk Forum for fantasy leagues, mock and all time drafts, and hockey video games.

HockeyArena Pt XVIII - The Return of Leafer 21 and poppap

Closed Thread

Old
04-08-2012, 06:52 PM
GirouxGiroux
Visioneer

vCash: 50
Six games left. Up seven points. Three of my remaining opponents should be easy wins.

In other words, if I win this next game, III.1 is mine.

No guarantees yet, Rune, but there's a chance I'll be throwing my kids at you, including my 17 year old goalie.

Old
04-08-2012, 09:11 PM
Rune Forumwalker

vCash: 500
Heh, that's fine. I'll be playing on low the rest of the way to gain TS. Don't care about 3rd place, I just want to have full TS. If I have that, I feel I have a good enough team to promote.

Old
04-08-2012, 10:10 PM
GirouxGiroux
Visioneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Forumwalker View Post
Heh, that's fine. I'll be playing on low the rest of the way to gain TS. Don't care about 3rd place, I just want to have full TS. If I have that, I feel I have a good enough team to promote.
Yeah, that's why I want you to finish third so I don't see you in the semis!

Though, in truth, I wouldn't really mind another season in III.

Old
04-09-2012, 10:00 AM
And You Feel Shame

Quote:
That could explain how I managed a tie against you the other day.

It's been a weird season, with my team losing to inferior teams on and off the whole run. In a critical game this past week, I lost 4-1 playing on high with about a 20 point AI advantage and much higher experience than my opponent. I'm now 7 points below the relegation line and even though I have a decent schedule to finish off the season I doubt I can catch up enough to survive the playout.

Old
04-09-2012, 03:39 PM
Rune Forumwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by And You Feel Shame View Post
That could explain how I managed a tie against you the other day.
Actually it doesn't as that was before I started the plan of playing on low the rest of the way and tried to win as normal.

Old
04-09-2012, 03:47 PM
GirouxGiroux
Visioneer

Well, I was going for it, but still. 8-0? I mean, Banditos was one of my two losses. Not sure what happened there. I'll take it though!

Old
04-09-2012, 04:29 PM
tujague

Whoa. With Humes injured for the second time this season, Cerulik comes off the bench and is amazing. He's really just a decent old goalie who's only around because he's +3. But he's faced the 2nd & 3rd place teams and stopped 59 of 60 shots. I won 1-0 and 2-1. The winner today came with 30 seconds left in the game

I'm comfortably in 11th, but only 7 points out of 8th. I know it's a long shot, but I do play some beatable teams the rest of the way. I play 14th, 6th, 12th, 8th and 15th place. I could potentially sweep that group which would make things very interesting. But I doubt I'll make the playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirouxGiroux View Post
I'm actually feeling pretty good about my EXP, which is why I was wondering. I'm not quite sure what the II.1 and I.1 benchmarks are, but six seasons from now I'm projecting that nine of the guys I have in my current lineup will be 300+AI with EXP ranging from 150-350. I think I should at least be able to make it to I.1 with that group, and maybe do some damage if I have a decent goalie.
As a comparison, his team has dropped to V and he rolled 4 lines. His experience is rated as 44.2 on his team page. I was able to stick in III.1 due to a disturbing amount of dead teams and rolled 3 lines exclusively. My exp is rated a 65.3 right now.

The lowest exp in my starting lineup is 94 on the new 21yo. The highest is 243 on my 27yo center. He's been the 2nd line C forever.

Quote:
Same here, I don't want to put in the time to scour the market for top youth. I'll never go back to four lines again, it wastes too much potential training. Instead I'll try to keep adding in youth every few seasons to retool.
God no. I'll never rebuild again. It wasn't particularly exciting for several seasons and the market is insane. I don't think I have the desire to get back into T&S so I couldn't even afford a rebuild. Over the last several seasons, I've only sold former starters and youth pulls I've trained for several seasons. My team will probably die a slow death after this group peaks

EDIT: I'm not saying I'd quit. Just that I don't think I can put forth the same effort to remain a team with a good future.

Old
04-09-2012, 05:15 PM
GirouxGiroux
Visioneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tujague View Post
The lowest exp in my starting lineup is 94 on the new 21yo. The highest is 243 on my 27yo center. He's been the 2nd line C forever.
Wow, so you're well clear of relegation in I.1 and you don't have anyone over 250 EXP? I'm surprised. I guess I thought I.1 would be tougher.

The nine players I mentioned are currently:

293 AI, 223 EXP, 91/41/franchised
275 AI, 237 EXP, 90/41/+3
267 AI, 201 EXP, 87/35/+3
258 AI, 139 EXP, 93/47/-1
213 AI, 115 EXP, 84/47/+3
193 AI, 96 EXP, 91/59/+3
186 AI, 111 EXP, 93/59/+3
184 AI, 74 EXP, 93/71/-1
175 AI, 54 EXP, 97/65/+3

I also have a 303 AI, 192 EXP player with 24P, but since he won't be around long term, I might let him go in a couple seasons when his contract is up.

Old
04-09-2012, 05:47 PM
RW8

Quote:
Wow, so you're well clear of relegation in I.1 and you don't have anyone over 250 EXP? I'm surprised. I guess I thought I.1 would be tougher.

The nine players I mentioned are currently:

293 AI, 223 EXP, 91/41/franchised
275 AI, 237 EXP, 90/41/+3
267 AI, 201 EXP, 87/35/+3
258 AI, 139 EXP, 93/47/-1
213 AI, 115 EXP, 84/47/+3
193 AI, 96 EXP, 91/59/+3
186 AI, 111 EXP, 93/59/+3
184 AI, 74 EXP, 93/71/-1
175 AI, 54 EXP, 97/65/+3

I also have a 303 AI, 192 EXP player with 24P, but since he won't be around long term, I might let him go in a couple seasons when his contract is up.
I think you're doing very well exp wise. My top guy is 24 yr old @ 173 exp and I've had him since he was 17 + u20.

Old
04-09-2012, 05:55 PM
tujague

Quote:
There is some skill to this game, you basturd. That's why I'm well above relegation. Not because I.1 is weak. Or because we have 3 rebuilders up here. It's because I'm a very skillful manager.

Old
04-09-2012, 05:59 PM
GirouxGiroux
Visioneer

Quote:
There is some skill to this game, you basturd. That's why I'm well above relegation. Not because I.1 is weak. Or because we have 3 rebuilders up here. It's because I'm a very skillful manager.

Teach me your ways, oh wise one.

Old
04-09-2012, 06:20 PM
tujague

Quote:

Teach me your ways, oh wise one.
Increased win bonuses

Old
04-09-2012, 06:22 PM
tujague

And put your best players at the top of your lineup. Playing a 21yo, a 22yo and 3 23yos against everyone's geezers does not work

I had an awful record at the start the season to prove it. 1-3-6!?! Holy crap that looks pathetic. I went 5-2-3 over the same stretch the second time around. Overall I'm 8-2-4 since that puss-filled start.

Old
04-09-2012, 11:10 PM
Rune Forumwalker

Quote:
Yeah, that's why I want you to finish third so I don't see you in the semis!

Though, in truth, I wouldn't really mind another season in III.
Heh, well I got a big win over Goldfish that was unexpected to vault me back into 3rd.

Honestly another year in III probably wouldn't hurt, but I think I'd prefer the increased EXP for when I need to move on from Bernstein and Kennedy.

Quote:
God no. I'll never rebuild again. It wasn't particularly exciting for several seasons and the market is insane. I don't think I have the desire to get back into T&S so I couldn't even afford a rebuild. Over the last several seasons, I've only sold former starters and youth pulls I've trained for several seasons. My team will probably die a slow death after this group peaks

EDIT: I'm not saying I'd quit. Just that I don't think I can put forth the same effort to remain a team with a good future.
Yep, my Primetime-esque YS is the only reason I'm sniffing II and might have a shot at I. Hell, I probably wouldn't even be in III without it.

Quote:
Increased win bonuses
Check.

Quote:
And put your best players at the top of your lineup. Playing a 21yo, a 22yo and 3 23yos against everyone's geezers does not work

I had an awful record at the start the season to prove it. 1-3-6!?! Holy crap that looks pathetic. I went 5-2-3 over the same stretch the second time around. Overall I'm 8-2-4 since that puss-filled start.
So how is your lineup looking then? Do you have the top line with your core veterans, second line for kids, third as more vets, first PP/PK as your top vets, and the second PP/PK as top youth?

Old
04-10-2012, 09:29 AM
tujague

Quote:
So how is your lineup looking then? Do you have the top line with your core veterans, second line for kids, third as more vets, first PP/PK as your top vets, and the second PP/PK as top youth?
Here's the current lineup:

I'm seriously considering moving the dmen around. Move the 2nd & 3rd pair up a line and drop the geezers down to the 3rd line. I think that could balance things out a bit better, but then it would affect chemistry. I'll probably wait until I accept the fact that the playoffs are out of reach to make any changes.

I know it seems wrong having the kids on the 3rd line, but they usually get their ice time anyway. Last game was an exception because we only had 2 penalties. They still got 21 minutes. Several games this season have been over 25 minutes. As they get better, I will make the same move that I want to do with the dmen. Move the bottom two lines up and the top line down to #3.

Special teams was posted recently, but here they are again:

This is from a while ago. McNally is subbing for Kalafus. Those PK lines absolutely should not work. Not in any decent league, much less I.1. But they've only allowed 8PPGA while scoring 4SH this season. That's insane. I really thought the PK lines would be the first thing I would be forced to change. Are all I.1 teams like this? Are the goalies so good that the PK units don't really matter?

EDIT: While we're here, this is the stats breakdown.

Old
04-10-2012, 02:26 PM
Rune Forumwalker

Quote:
I know it seems wrong having the kids on the 3rd line, but they usually get their ice time anyway. Last game was an exception because we only had 2 penalties. They still got 21 minutes. Several games this season have been over 25 minutes. As they get better, I will make the same move that I want to do with the dmen. Move the bottom two lines up and the top line down to #3.
Interesting. Players on my top two lines get between 20-25 minutes, while the 3rd line gets between 10-15 minutes. But then I've been running 60/60/40 with the PP/PK units loaded up with players on the top two lines, whilst the 3rd line doesn't get much in the way of special teams time. Only two forwards make the 2nd PP, and the two d-men are on the 2nd PK. However this is due to my loading up the PP with 4 forwards and 1 d-man. The PK is different. PK1 is a winger, center, and the top d-men. PK2 is the next best 3 d-men and a winger.

Old
04-10-2012, 04:30 PM
tujague

Moved up to 10th today. Still 7 points out of 8th.

Big showdown with the Never Nudes tomorrow I'm not happy being the favorite even though I'm only just. I feel like I have to try harder than I would if I was just playing some random dude.

Quote:
Interesting. Players on my top two lines get between 20-25 minutes, while the 3rd line gets between 10-15 minutes. But then I've been running 60/60/40 with the PP/PK units loaded up with players on the top two lines, whilst the 3rd line doesn't get much in the way of special teams time. Only two forwards make the 2nd PP, and the two d-men are on the 2nd PK. However this is due to my loading up the PP with 4 forwards and 1 d-man. The PK is different. PK1 is a winger, center, and the top d-men. PK2 is the next best 3 d-men and a winger.
I'm pretty sure I started the season playing 60/50/40, or something like that where the younger players got much more time. But I had to switch to 60/60/60 so the 3rd line would be on the ice more in the hopes that it would jump start the offense. That didn't work, so I swapped the 1st & 3rd lines. That didn't help much either. So I had to finally put some older guys onto PP1. I guess that was enough. I am winning more.

The penalty kill hasn't been touched since I replaced Vernon with Schifferle. That was 2-3 days into the season. I only have two dmen on the PP units, but that's not a strategic thing. I'm doing it that way because that's who I want to train.

Old
04-10-2012, 05:14 PM
GirouxGiroux
Visioneer

Not out of the woods yet. I was expecting to lose, but knew it would be close.

Four points up. I should win the next two easily. Hoping Rats lose to Banditos, otherwise nothing will be completely settled until the last game.

Old
04-10-2012, 05:43 PM
Chairman Mallard
GO DUCKS

I'm offering my team a 15 million per player win bonus and having strippers in the, ocker room pregame. I've asked jax00 to deliver the pregame speech

Old
04-10-2012, 05:50 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
The central message being, obviously, the proper application of pressure.

Old
04-10-2012, 05:54 PM
Rune Forumwalker

Two games in and just as planned for Giroux. Two big wins while playing on low to remain in 3rd.

Old
04-11-2012, 09:50 AM
tujague

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Mallard View Post
I'm offering my team a 15 million per player win bonus and having strippers in the, ocker room pregame. I've asked jax00 to deliver the pregame speech
*gives up*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
The central message being, obviously, the proper application of pressure.

Old
04-11-2012, 03:59 PM
Chairman Mallard
GO DUCKS

Quote:
*gives up*

Typical jax. He took them out on a cocaine and pop tarts binge and they got their ***** kicked. : laugh:

Old
04-11-2012, 04:23 PM
tujague

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Mallard View Post
Typical jax. He took them out on a cocaine and pop tarts binge and they got their ***** kicked. : laugh:
I miss Jax. He was like the good McTroy. Well, not good. Less evil? No. Not evil. Yeah. He was the Not Evil McTroy. You two were good together.

I'm going to the NC semis That's so bizarre. I don't think I've ever paid any attention to the NC beyond offering stupid win bonuses so I can play on Low to build TS as long as possible.

Old
04-11-2012, 05:32 PM
Rune Forumwalker

Giroux, or anyone else that seems to be an expert at estimating the Q of a YS player...

I have a player in the YS that I'm curious as to how good he'd actually be. 17 years old showing ?85/?64 with AI ranges over three days of ?53, ?45, and ?46.

Closed Thread