HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

G John Gibson (2011, 39th overall, Anaheim)

Old
04-08-2012, 09:40 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigx15 View Post
I usually don't like doing this but I find this statement to be pretty ridiculous. Have you taken a look around the NHL lately. NCAA goaltenders... Tim Thomas, Ryan Miller, Brian Elliott, Jonathan Quick, Cory Schneider, Jimmy Howard, Scott Clemmenson and probably a few other pretty viable NHL goaltenders all who went the NCAA route. Not saying its the best one, but I think your statement is a bit over the top.
How many of those goalies took several years to be relevant? they don't play enough games and alot of college games I see are played very slowly. All those guys you named, Quick is the only one, to have instant impact.

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 09:48 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
Gibson should spend another year in the OHL, NO reason at ALL to rush him, in the AHL you're looking at splitting time. Let this kid hone his craft, play alot of games, and play as team USA's no.1 goalie at the WJC's next year. it definitely will not hurt him to remain in Kitchener
I agree 100%, having Gibson playing 50+- games plus playoffs is the best longterm career path. Also in Kitchener he may have one of the best goalie coaches in Piero Greco.

Ward Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 10:27 PM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

vCash: 69
Quote:
How many of those goalies took several years to be relevant? they don't play enough games and alot of college games I see are played very slowly. All those guys you named, Quick is the only one, to have instant impact.
Not trying to attack you or anything, but how many goalies took less than 3 years to make an immediate NHL impact. Goalies take longer. Always have, always will, regardless of the league they play for.

Quote:
Gibson should spend another year in the OHL, NO reason at ALL to rush him, in the AHL you're looking at splitting time. Let this kid hone his craft, play alot of games, and play as team USA's no.1 goalie at the WJC's next year. it definitely will not hurt him to remain in Kitchener
I agree. I'd only want Gibson in...wherever the hell our AHL affiliate is next year is if he's a starter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
I agree 100%, having Gibson playing 50+- games plus playoffs is the best longterm career path. Also in Kitchener he may have one of the best goalie coaches in Piero Greco.
Makes sense. Just a suggestion.

DuckJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 08:31 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

^those goalies he listed, took several years in most cases to be relevant as quality NHL goalies, and the jury is still out on Elliot.

Old
09-28-2012, 07:44 PM
Kulemon

I dunno if this is his main thread or not but I just want to say Gibson is unreal and I'm totally jealous. He's up there with Markstrom as the best goaltending prospect IMO.

He's gonna be CHL goaltender of the year.

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 08:12 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
I dunno if this is his main thread or not but I just want to say Gibson is unreal and I'm totally jealous. He's up there with Markstrom as the best goaltending prospect IMO.

He's gonna be CHL goaltender of the year.
He's off to a good start by winning goalie of the week. I'm trying not to get my hopes up, since goaltending prospects can look amazing one season, and a few seasons down the road are just a footnote in your team's draft history.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 08:49 PM
Kulemon

He was spectacular tonight against London and he only let in one goal. He was the reason Kitchener won. Just fantastic stuff. He absolutely stood on his head in the last two minutes. His save on Ryan Rupert was just unbelievable!

I can't even put into words how good this guy is.

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 08:52 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Difference maker in the game tonight

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 12:03 PM
blink

Not too sure why there isn't more hype around Gibson. When the top goalie prospects are mentioned, his name rarely appears.

Solid, solid goalie. Comparisons to Carey Price.

His coming out party will be the WJC's this year. He's been in Jack Campbell's shadow for the past couple of years and now it's his time.

We'll see how he does but I'm calling WJC's Top goalie right now.

So happy that I picked him up in our keeper league draft last year. I've got Markstrom, Fasth, Campbell and Gibson as my goalies. Potential there is unreal within the next 2-3 years.

blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 12:20 PM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

Been wondering the same thing myself. this is in no way playing the victim, but I have noticed that if it's a Ducks prospect, people tend to not notice the player's talent until they actually make the NHL (Smith Pelly) or they go else-where (Schultz...I mean, Schultz went from virtual nobody to the second best UFA defenseman overnight). Guys like Palmieri, Holland, and Vatanen don't get much recognition outside our own fanbase. Then guys like William Karlsson, Andy Welinski, and Max Friberg are practically unknowns. It's probably not as bad as I'm suggesting, but I'm sure if Gibson was drafted by...say...Pittsburgh many wouldn't even consider Campbell to be the better player and Gibson would be considered elite. I think if Kitchener fans are saying that he's the best goalie they've seen in 20 years, it's gotta count for something.

But anyway, his stats are pretty phenomenal so far. And I do think he can actually keep them high. Last playoffs he had incredible numbers and would often face 40 shots a night.

Old
10-03-2012, 12:30 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Campbell was overhype... Gibson may be the real deal... Can't wait for the WJC's..

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 12:34 PM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

Lol I thought it was hilarious last WJC, Gibson let's in 4 goals and got absolutely crucified in the International Tournaments board. Next game Campbell lets in 4 goals on 8 fewer shots and nobody has a single complaint about it.

Old
10-03-2012, 12:40 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Lol I thought it was hilarious last WJC, Gibson let's in 4 goals and got absolutely crucified in the International Tournaments board. Next game Campbell lets in 4 goals on 8 fewer shots and nobody has a single complaint about it.
Didn't I just say that Campbell was overhyped ???

International tournaments don't define a prospect...

Old
10-03-2012, 12:42 PM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

Yeah I was adding context to your post....did I give the impression that I was trying to get into an argument or something? Cause I definitely wasn't.

And in most Gibson vs Campbell debates I've seen, the justification for saying Campbell is better is that he's been a "big-game" player for team USA. Not saying I agree but apparently people take International Tournaments seriously when gauging the potential of a player. Though the reality probably is that he was a high draft pick by goaltending standards and people want to see it be justified.

Old
10-03-2012, 02:08 PM
BenchedGuy

Just for more context. IMO he is playing great with an average defense in front of him. Murphy is a gifted offensive D man, but average defensively in his own end. While Iafrate and Fanelli are good 2way D men, Gibson doesnt have the luxury of having a true shutdown D man in front of him. Kitchener needs a bit of an upgrade on D right now and Gibson is still standing on his head seeing alot of rubber.

BenchedGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 02:31 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Yeah I was adding context to your post....did I give the impression that I was trying to get into an argument or something? Cause I definitely wasn't.

And in most Gibson vs Campbell debates I've seen, the justification for saying Campbell is better is that he's been a "big-game" player for team USA. Not saying I agree but apparently people take International Tournaments seriously when gauging the potential of a player. Though the reality probably is that he was a high draft pick by goaltending standards and people want to see it be justified.
I misread it. Sorry.

I fully agree though.

Old
10-04-2012, 11:54 AM
blink

Quote:
Been wondering the same thing myself. this is in no way playing the victim, but I have noticed that if it's a Ducks prospect, people tend to not notice the player's talent until they actually make the NHL (Smith Pelly) or they go else-where (Schultz...I mean, Schultz went from virtual nobody to the second best UFA defenseman overnight). Guys like Palmieri, Holland, and Vatanen don't get much recognition outside our own fanbase. Then guys like William Karlsson, Andy Welinski, and Max Friberg are practically unknowns. It's probably not as bad as I'm suggesting, but I'm sure if Gibson was drafted by...say...Pittsburgh many wouldn't even consider Campbell to be the better player and Gibson would be considered elite. I think if Kitchener fans are saying that he's the best goalie they've seen in 20 years, it's gotta count for something.

But anyway, his stats are pretty phenomenal so far. And I do think he can actually keep them high. Last playoffs he had incredible numbers and would often face 40 shots a night.
If people don't know who he is by now, they will quickly find out.

Every Kitchener fan I've talked to says the same thing. You often hear, "Gibson was the only reason we were in the game", or "Gibson stole that one for us". You hear that about a lot of prospects but not every night. That's the difference.

Watching him in the OHL playoffs last year was a real treat.

To think, at draft time, there was a debate as to who the better Gibson goalie was?

I expect him to dominate the OHL this year and become a #1 AHL goalie as soon as next year. He's that good and you're looking at a true franchise type goalie in the NHL for the Ducks. This isn't hype, it's just the truth.

blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 12:50 PM
Suddenly7

Quote:
Originally Posted by blink View Post
If people don't know who he is by now, they will quickly find out.

Every Kitchener fan I've talked to says the same thing. You often hear, "Gibson was the only reason we were in the game", or "Gibson stole that one for us". You hear that about a lot of prospects but not every night. That's the difference.

Watching him in the OHL playoffs last year was a real treat.

To think, at draft time, there was a debate as to who the better Gibson goalie was?

I expect him to dominate the OHL this year and become a #1 AHL goalie as soon as next year. He's that good and you're looking at a true franchise type goalie in the NHL for the Ducks. This isn't hype, it's just the truth.
This made my day! I knew we had a good prospect in Gibson I just didn't really know if it was hype since I never seen him play. Glad to hear someone speaking highly of him that has seen him.

Suddenly7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 12:54 PM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

Kitch fans have been singing his praises for a while now.

Old
10-04-2012, 01:25 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Gibson is good, we've known that for a while, he'll get his due on the international stage this year. from a strictly talent perspective he has just about everything you'd want in a goaltender in the year 2012

I expect he'll see some NHL time as soon as the 2013 season

Old
10-04-2012, 01:30 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
I expect he'll see some NHL time as soon as the 2013 season
They wouldn't rush him into the NHL. With Jonas and Fasth in Anaheim and Andersen and Bobkov in Norfolk, we can afford to take our time.

Old
10-04-2012, 01:44 PM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
They wouldn't rush him into the NHL. With Jonas and Fasth in Anaheim and Andersen and Bobkov in Norfolk, we can afford to take our time.
Agree 100%

Old
10-04-2012, 01:54 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
He may not give them a choice

Old
10-04-2012, 02:00 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
He may not give them a choice
I've watched him, he's good, but he isn't so good that he needs to be our back up or starter this year.

Old
10-04-2012, 02:02 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
I've watched him, he's good, but he isn't so good that he needs to be our back up or starter this year.
i'm saying 13-14 not this year