HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Atkinson

Old
04-03-2012, 08:26 PM
candyman82

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Atkinson should always sit next to Hunwick when he comes off the ice, the two of them present such an amusing picture, side by side! Disney movies and segments of the old Mouse Club used to have kids show up in adult roles - pilots, ballplayers, stewardesses, etc. - that's what they remind me of!
I am waiting for Hunwick to back up Corbeil in the minor leagues. Corbeil is a full foot taller than the kid!

candyman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 02:15 PM
WADEugottaBELAKthat
Flynt Flossy

bump

Nice hatty the other night. I look forward to seeing him develop for you guys.

I think he will be a 30 goal scorer in the NHL.

WADEugottaBELAKthat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 02:58 PM
Jovavic
The Unnamed Feeling

Looks a little like Jeff Skinner and how he drives to the net and with the scoring touch. I'll take that

Jovavic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 10:06 PM
Sutter Brother

vCash: 838
Atkinson does it again!

another three point night for the kid. 5 goals and an assist for 6 points in the last two games of the season. he loves to score. guys like that win you games who cares how big he is.

Sutter Brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 10:51 PM
BluejacketNut

Just got back from the Frozen Four championship, Cam has the BC mojo going

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:00 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Cam needs to go lead Springfield into the playoffs.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:09 PM
EDM

This kid is going to be a fan favorite. He is one of the really good things to happen during the second half of this season. That first goal he scored was a sniper shot the likes of which I have not seen since on this team Vyborny's best.

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:58 PM
GoJackets1
Someday.

Someone said in another thread that once Cam learns how to beat NHL goalies, he will start scoring, just like he had to do in the AHL. Apparently he got going kind of slow. I think he has definitely passed that point now, and that makes me extremely excited for the future.

Earlier in the season, I wasnt too impressed. He was consistently pushed around along the boards and never seemed able to get a quality shot off. In the last 10 games or so, that has changed dramatically and he has begun to score. 10 points in the last 6 games. If he adds a few lbs of muscle, he could be a force in this league. Looking forward to he and Yakupov at least doubling Nash's production in a couple years.

GoJackets1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 11:45 AM
Teravainen
LoveYouRyanNash

1.Very quick,
2.Goes to the net regularly
3.Has a very quick shot
4.he knows how to create space.

Old username: LoveYouRyanNash and DontTazMeBro
GO HAWKS!
Teravainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 11:55 AM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontTazMeBro View Post
1.Very quick,
3.Has a very quick shot
5.he plays for the Jackets

Priceless (and amazing)

EspenK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 12:40 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojackets1 View Post
Someone said in another thread that once Cam learns how to beat NHL goalies, he will start scoring, just like he had to do in the AHL. Apparently he got going kind of slow. I think he has definitely passed that point now, and that makes me extremely excited for the future.

Earlier in the season, I wasnt too impressed. He was consistently pushed around along the boards and never seemed able to get a quality shot off. In the last 10 games or so, that has changed dramatically and he has begun to score. 10 points in the last 6 games. If he adds a few lbs of muscle, he could be a force in this league. Looking forward to he and Yakupov at least doubling Nash's production in a couple years.
I didn't say that - that's a specificity I'm not smart enough to make - but I did say that you get the feeling that once he scores it's going to come in bunches. Hopefully he can carry it over - you kow, score 2-3 goals in eveyr game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontTazMeBro View Post
1.Very quick,
3.Has a very quick shot
Going to the net he had to learn - he was being easily pushed out or making the decision to go wide too often. That I think is a big reason for his improved scoring later in the season.

All that said, wow there's a lot of jumping the gun in here - every bit as much as was going on by those reminding evryone about Calvert & Filatov's hattys.

Old
04-08-2012, 12:49 PM
Cujorulesdtown9
Wearing Clown Shoes

I really like what Atkinson has done this year, I hope he keeps it going for next season.

Cujorulesdtown9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 01:02 PM
GoJackets1
Someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassé View Post
I didn't say that - that's a specificity I'm not smart enough to make - but I did say that you get the feeling that once he scores it's going to come in bunches. Hopefully he can carry it over - you kow, score 2-3 goals in eveyr game?

Going to the net he had to learn - he was being easily pushed out or making the decision to go wide too often. That I think is a big reason for his improved scoring later in the season.

All that said, wow there's a lot of jumping the gun in here - every bit as much as was going on by those reminding evryone about Calvert & Filatov's hattys.
Looking back at my post, I definitely could have worded that better.

I think the difference between Atkinson's hattrick and the other two is that, if I recall the specific games, the other two didnt seem to dominate the game and fly all over the ice as Cam does. You could argue that Calvert did, but I seem to remember a lot of his goals being very fluky.

GoJackets1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 05:59 PM
FutureCjJohnson

Cam is a beast. That wrister for his first goal last night was wicked. I was there for Filatov's hat trick. Can't recall if he dominated with his play that night.

FutureCjJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 06:16 PM
Matt

I am the one that said it would take him a while to get used to NHL goalies. If you have followed his career, every level it has taken him some time to figure out the goalies. Once he does he scores with regularity. Just look at his first year with Boston College and the first games he played after he was sent down this year.

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 12:08 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
On many of his shifts he appears to have a gear noone else on the ice has. His speed is most apparent in tight spaces, quick bursts, stop and go.
This is what I've noticed most, as well as the fact that his ability to handle the puck and create in tight spaces is really good.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 12:44 AM
JDCox17

Atkinson:
  • NHL games played since first hat trick: 1
  • Goals scored since first hat trick: 2

Filatov:
  • NHL games played since first hat trick: 47

Calvert:
  • NHL games played since first hat trick: 35

Last edited by JDCox17: 04-09-2012 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Didn't look at Calvert's post-hatty stats before posting.
JDCox17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 01:06 AM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCox17 View Post
Atkinson:

Filatov:

Calvert:
Good stats. Also consider the number of goals scored in the AHL prior to their first hat trick. Atkinson is no Filatov.I don't suspect we've seen the last of Calvert either.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 01:26 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCox17 View Post
Atkinson:

Filatov:

Calvert:
Interesting...I'm not entirely certain that I regard them as meaningful, but interesting nonetheless.

Actually, Filatov's is meaningful only as long as he sits around in Russia waiting for an opportunity to show what he can do as long as he doesn't have to listen to anyone but himself.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 08:51 AM
Matt

Filatov didn't stick in the KHL. He is playing minor league in Russia

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 09:36 AM
bizzz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Filatov didn't stick in the KHL. He is playing minor league in Russia
That's actually not what happened...
He played for CSKA in the KHL all the time till they were eliminated from the playoffs. Then he was sent to the MHL along with another 8 CSKA players under 23 year old, to help the CSKA farm team "Red Army". He played in the MHL only 2 games and after the loss in the 1st playoffs game he was kicked out of the team.
Looks like he didn't play hard enough cause he had 4 points in those 2 games, but the coach said "he was only skating around". Now he doesn't play anywhere.
He sticked in the KHL, but didn't stick in the MHL with the junior CSKA team.

bizzz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 09:44 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Atkinson is 5'7'', 172 lbs. Obviously, he has to get stronger, but he can't make the same mistake Brassard did and lose his quickness, which is one of his greatest assets. I'd guess, without having seen enough to know his body type, he could carry another 10-15 lbs of muscle without damage to his game. At his height, 182-187 should be enough heft to become stronger on the puck and more competetive on the boards. Agree?

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 10:01 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Atkinson is 5'7'', 172 lbs. Obviously, he has to get stronger, but he can't make the same mistake Brassard did and lose his quickness, which is one of his greatest assets. I'd guess, without having seen enough to know his body type, he could carry another 10-15 lbs of muscle without damage to his game. At his height, 182-187 should be enough heft to become stronger on the puck and more competetive on the boards. Agree?
I think that was a convenient excuse for Brassard, who had ups and downs throughout the years. This year pretty much paralleled other seasons. Brassard strikes me as a walking excuse. I'm not going to use him as an example for anything. We do that a lot with CBJ players. We look for that magic "That's the reason!" excuse. Brassard's issues are with Brassard. Any quickness loss wasn't dramatic enough to cause the disaster that was Brassard for quite a bit of the season.

I have no idea what the threshold is for losing quickness and where the trade off is, for Atkinson. From my understanding, his lower body strength is quite good. We'll let the powers that be work with him. His conditioning looked pretty decent already.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 10:57 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
I think that was a convenient excuse for Brassard, who had ups and downs throughout the years. This year pretty much paralleled other seasons. Brassard strikes me as a walking excuse. I'm not going to use him as an example for anything. We do that a lot with CBJ players. We look for that magic "That's the reason!" excuse. Brassard's issues are with Brassard. Any quickness loss wasn't dramatic enough to cause the disaster that was Brassard for quite a bit of the season.

I have no idea what the threshold is for losing quickness and where the trade off is, for Atkinson. From my understanding, his lower body strength is quite good. We'll let the powers that be work with him. His conditioning looked pretty decent already.
I do think that there is a point where additional weight can impede Atkinson's quickness. Whether that was true about Brass is immaterial. At 172, Atkinson is already stronger on the puck than Brassard, whatever is his true weight.

I agree that Cam appears to be a very well-conditioned player, with adequate lower body strength. I think, in order to advance as a top six forward, he needs to increase his upper body strength to compete better. I trust that his off-season will be monitored better than some other recent Jackets, who came back in less effective shape than when they left. Brass may or may not be one example, but there are certainly others.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 11:14 AM
blahblah

Quote:
I do think that there is a point where additional weight can impede Atkinson's quickness. Whether that was true about Brass is immaterial. At 172, Atkinson is already stronger on the puck than Brassard, whatever is his true weight.
Sure, where is that? 220? 210? 200? 190? Can't answer that. As far as immaterial, you did bring up Brassard as a comparative. Only followed your queue.

I'm sure you've already seen it, it might even be in this thread.

Quote:
“This summer I’m going to work twice as hard as I’ve ever worked before, to be in the shape I need to be in,” Atkinson said. “I have a pretty good idea now of what it takes to play games in this league, but I want to make this team out of training camp next year and be an impact player.”
http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/conte...ttle-hope.html

I am not, in the least, concerned about Atkinson. He may make some mistakes along the way, but he'll learn quickly. If everyone had his mentality, on this team, we would be in the playoffs. Not seeing if we pick #1 or not.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote