HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Paul Hamilton - "Lindy doesnt want a strong captain"

Old
04-09-2012, 10:00 AM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

vCash: 500
Paul Hamilton - "Lindy doesnt want a strong captain"

I always wondered why Lindy cant seem to keep a captain for longer than 2-3 years.

I'm beginning to think Lindy is pulling the ultimate scam on Buffalo. Weak players equals life contract.

A lot more interesting stuff also, like the possibility that Vanek and Ruff aren't getting along.

Captain talk starts at 12:45 mark

http://audio.wgr550.com/a/54630906/4...simon-show.htm

SabresAreScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 10:06 AM
drinking bleach irl
POST MORE RECKLESS

vCash: 300
I can see him shaking in the corner in the fetal position, murmuring about players "out to get [him]."

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 10:09 AM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

I can't listen to the audio while I'm at work, but that's a pretty sad and pathetic line if the quote is accurate.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 10:11 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
I can't listen to the audio while I'm at work, but that's a pretty sad and pathetic line if the quote is accurate.
It's accurate.

Hamilton said that Drury and Briere were the last captains that would "stand up to Ruff" and that Ruff would prefer captains more like Stu Barnes and Pominville that wouldn't challenge him.

This was in response to a question about whether Pominville as captain worked.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 10:14 AM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
It's accurate.

Hamilton said that Drury and Briere were the last captains that would "stand up to Ruff" and that Ruff would prefer captains more like Stu Barnes and Pominville that wouldn't challenge him.

This was in response to a question about whether Pominville as captain worked.
And when you think of Drury and Briere Ruff lessened their power by making them co-captians. I remember all the rumors of Drury and Briere going at it. Ruff is a master manipulator.

SabresAreScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 10:25 AM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Don't even want to think about Ruff possibly having a hand in letting the co-caps go. I don't think I could hate him anymore.

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 10:26 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

If the coach is trusted, I don't want Pominville, Ovechkin, Crosby, Nash, Sedin, Iginla, etc... To "go after" the coach. That's just disrespectful and breeds other players to argue, challenge, or ignore the coach.

If the coach is not trusted or liked .... What happened in Washington this season could happen to any other team.

I don't want Pominville to "go after" Ruff or any coach. But I DO want him to approach the coaching staff after games and discuss what's on his mind and debate a strategy or philosophy.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 10:26 AM
drinking bleach irl
POST MORE RECKLESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
Don't even want to think about Ruff possibly having a hand in letting the co-caps go. I don't think I could hate him anymore.
He's been trash-talking MAF in the locker room, just heard it over the din.

Old
04-09-2012, 10:27 AM
sba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal System Ehrhoff View Post
He's been trash-talking MAF in the locker room, just heard it over the din.
I doubt that, MAF doesn't play for him.

Old
04-09-2012, 10:28 AM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
If the coach is trusted, I don't want Pominville, Ovechkin, Crosby, Nash, Sedin, Iginla, etc... To "go after" the coach. That's just disrespectful and breeds other players to argue, challenge, or ignore the coach.

If the coach is not trusted or liked .... What happened in Washington this season could happen to any other team.

I don't want Pominville to "go after" Ruff or any coach. But I DO want him to approach the coaching staff after games and discuss what's on his mind and debate a strategy or philosophy.
It's not really about the captain going after the coach. I doubt Briere or Drury did that. It's about being willing and able to challenge decisions made by Lindy if the captain thinks they're wrong or it could be done a different way. Purposely picking a sheep that will go along with any of your decisions is pathetic.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 10:28 AM
drinking bleach irl
POST MORE RECKLESS

Quote:
I doubt that, MAF doesn't play for him.

Not until after round 1

Old
04-09-2012, 10:54 AM
sba

So there's no leadership in the dressing room because Ruff wants it that way...Interesting.

Old
04-09-2012, 10:56 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post

What quote? Its pure conjecture on Paul Hamilton's part and not based on anything.

He was asked whether or not there will be talk about Pommer keeping the "C" and this was his response;

"If its the Lindy Ruff that I hear is in the lockerroom, he doesn't want a strong captain.

Thats why you get Stu Barnes and Jason Pominville and that kind of thing."

Sort of odd he would use Barnes to make his point when the co-captains and Rivet came after him.

Hamilton also contradicts himself a few times on Ruff in general and this idea of wanting a weak captain earlier in the interview.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 11:23 AM
indigoo

Quote:
So there's no leadership in the dressing room because Ruff wants it that way...Interesting.
I'd say so. Sounds like a manic control freak who has nothing to worry about. This is cancerous, year after year being awarded for his coaching, the players see this and wonder why they get all the flack. It's time to give the locker room a new voice and vision.

indigoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 11:30 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigoo View Post
I'd say so. Sounds like a manic control freak who has nothing to worry about. This is cancerous, year after year being awarded for his coaching, the players see this and wonder why they get all the flack. It's time to give the locker room a new voice and vision.
Sounds like you were too lazy to actually find out what the OP was based on. That would be baseless speculation and a very poor arguement from Paul Hamiton that actually cotnradicted what he said earlier in the interview about Ruff.

If you want to hate someone thats fine but at least try to bring some facts to the table.

Last edited by joshjull: 04-09-2012 at 11:36 AM.
joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 11:31 AM
OkimLom

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post

What quote? Its pure conjecture on Paul Hamilton's part and not based on anything.

He was asked whether or not there will be talk about Pommer keeping the "C" and this was his response;

"If its the Lindy Ruff that I hear is in the lockerroom, he doesn't want a strong captain.

Sort of odd he would use Barnes to make his point when the co-captains and Rivet came after him.

Hamilton also contradicts himself a few times on Ruff in general and this idea of wanting a weak captain earlier in the interview.
This whole thing is coming from Mr. Paul "CAPTAIN NEGATIVE" Hamilton. Guy never has anything positive to say about the Sabres during the games or after. Brian would ask him or make a point someone was playing good and Hamilton will turn it into talking about someone else thats isn't. Guy just reminds me TOO MUCH of a college reporter who couldn't hack it as a Hockey player.

Why people look to him as a Hockey Expert, I have no idea why. He has no insightful knowledge into prospects in the system. His analysts of the games I can get from my 6 year old cousin. The guy has his agendas towards certain players regardless how well they play or how well they don't play.

OkimLom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 11:43 AM
indigoo

Quote:
Sounds like you were too lazy to actually find out what the OP was based on. That would be baseless speculation and a very poor arguement from Paul Hamiton that actually cotnradicted what he said earlier in the interview about Ruff.

If you want to hate someone thats fine but at least try to bring some facts to the table.
If only the world could be based on fact exclusively...

Please, enlighten me to what the OP was based on then. I must have heard the original interview wrong this morning I guess.

indigoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 11:51 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkimLom View Post
This whole thing is coming from Mr. Paul "CAPTAIN NEGATIVE" Hamilton. Guy never has anything positive to say about the Sabres during the games or after. Brian would ask him or make a point someone was playing good and Hamilton will turn it into talking about someone else thats isn't. Guy just reminds me TOO MUCH of a college reporter who couldn't hack it as a Hockey player.
I have heard him praise plenty of players thru the years. And equally, he slams players too. I guess you hear what you want to hear. Do you have an agenda?

Why people look to him as a Hockey Expert, I have no idea why. He has no insightful knowledge into prospects in the system. His analysts of the games I can get from my 6 year old cousin. The guy has his agendas towards certain players regardless how well they play or how well they don't play.
There are no Buffalo radio,Buffalo news, or Buffalo TV personalities that cover prospects. You sound like Hamilton is one of the few that don't. Do you have an agenda?
For the most part Hamilton is fair. Yes, he has one or two players he doesn't care for. But the same can be said for a few radio guys on WGR. If you haven't heard him compliment Sabres players when they do well, you absolutely, positively, haven't been listening very long.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 11:54 AM
OkimLom

Quote:

I don't know, seems to me Stu Barnes was pretty well respected by his fellow teammates. when he was here And from what I can tell when they left, the team fell apart as soon as Drury and Briere went away. I wouldn't consider them weak captains.

If Ruff was a control freak, he wouldn't let the players decide the captain when Rivet got here.

I think Ruff, chose Pominville as captain because he felt he was the strongest of anyone of the Rochester core on this team to handle the responsibility. This includes Gaustad. Sure, if Paul said Lindy has bad judgement on choosing the captains then that would be okay, but to say Ruff wants weak captains based on the face he chose TWO guys who were known to be quiet but respected players.

Sometimes, I think the Buffalo Media starts a lot of unnecessary issues within the area that sooner or later turn into huge problems within the fan base.

Buffalo sports media has the worst WRITERS

OkimLom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 12:34 PM
Stanford

interesting if you look at the records during captaincy...

Mike Peca - Physical, imposing player, heady... Conference Final, Stanley Cup final, a few other runs and division titles, then he gets exiled for wanting to get paid a bit more...

No Captain - EC Semi, riding Hasek's back despite having only two players scoring more than 20 goals (3 had 20 or 19).

Stu Barnes - Soft spoken sweetheart, missed every year

Rotational catastrophe system - missed every year

Drury/Briere - Outspoken, solid dudes who still get cred for their leadership tandem... back to back ECFs, only to be exiled for DESERVING to get paid a bit more...

Rotational F'ing Horsecrap part 2 - missed every year

Craig Rivet - Team nominated, came in with a rep for being pretty balls out... back to back ECQF losses, with Rivet being benched for half of final season and being exiled to Columbus in disgrace.

Jason Pominville - we know the story... ohhhhhh, just missed.

i dunno, you'd think Lindy himself would look at the pattern and go, "maybe i should get a strong-minded guy in here again and see if we can't rise above this crap". But maybe Pegula should ask the same question, and replace the guy who's allowed it all to happen.

Stanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 12:39 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
i dunno, you'd think Lindy himself would look at the pattern and go, "maybe i should get a strong-minded guy in here again and see if we can't rise above this crap". But maybe Pegula should ask the same question, and replace the guy who's allowed it all to happen.
I would say look higher in the food chain.

What player has Regier acquired that could be that strong captain for this team?

Would Ruff bypass a real "strong leader" for Jason Pominville if there was one on the roster this year?

For instance, if Regier had traded for Iginla last off season, would Pominville have been named captain?

Old
04-09-2012, 12:41 PM
Stanford

He should've been fired after the first rotational captaincy system. What the HELL was up with that, anyway. It completely undermines the role and basically makes Ruff the defacto captain. Maybe that was the point. Worked wonderfully...

Old
04-09-2012, 12:47 PM
Stanford

Quote:
I would say look higher in the food chain.

What player has Regier acquired that could be that strong captain for this team?

Would Ruff bypass a real "strong leader" for Jason Pominville if there was one on the roster this year?

For instance, if Regier had traded for Iginla last off season, would Pominville have been named captain?
Oh I agree with this too. Regier is very much part in parcel with that whole mess. But plenty of people thought of a guy like Gaustad as the captain type, because he displayed a bit more of those qualities you'd expect, despite not being much of a point producer. People looked to Vanek because of his production and effort and ability to carry the bunch when hot. Pominville is queitly consistent, has a good work ethic, but a captain?

And now Gaustad is gone and Vanek is disenfranchised. Roy probably stamped his ticket outta here. Pominville, at least today, looks like a dog on a chain.

Old
04-09-2012, 12:53 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
Oh I agree with this too. Regier is very much part in parcel with that whole mess. But plenty of people thought of a guy like Gaustad as the captain type, because he displayed a bit more of those qualities you'd expect, despite not being much of a point producer. People looked to Vanek because of his production and effort and ability to carry the bunch when hot. Pominville is queitly consistent, has a good work ethic, but a captain?

And now Gaustad is gone and Vanek is disenfranchised. Roy probably stamped his ticket outta here. Pominville, at least today, looks like a dog on a chain.
Gaustad was given an A and failed the big leadership test he was given this season in many people's opinion.

Vanek is not a "challenge the coach" type of leader.

This team didn't have a guy on the roster that would have challenged Ruff, IMO. The closest they have to that guy can't wear a C.

Old
04-09-2012, 01:00 PM
Stanford

Quote:
Gaustad was given an A and failed the big leadership test he was given this season in many people's opinion.

Vanek is not a "challenge the coach" type of leader.

This team didn't have a guy on the roster that would have challenged Ruff, IMO. The closest they have to that guy can't wear a C.
Again, I agree 100%. My point was that lindy went with, presumably, the 3rd best option of a pile of bad options, which I think directly snubbed Vanek. Gaustad with the A was fine, but he proved himself only later on. No matter what, you're right... That guy was not on this team.

I mean people are already coronating Foligno as the heir to the C, essentially based on ONE game, and a good run of points in a handful of others. That says a lot.

It ain't working anymore, and if Ruff and Regier truly are joined at the hip, then just be done with them both. I think we all wanted to see Ruff get his cup here, but is that even realistic, if he and Regier are so bound to one another? Of course not.