HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Oilers report card

Closed Thread

Old
11-18-2003, 07:39 PM
hockeyaddict101

vCash: 500
Oilers report card

Bergeron - Good game for him. I like the fact that every night he isn't afraid to be physical.

Brewer - Some of his clearout attempts were pure disaster tonight. Many mistakes in his own zone but none of them really cost him. Not one of his better efforts.

Chimera - Didn't really notice him tonight.

Conklin - Makes every save look easy. Another star studded effort.

Cross - Had a few problems with simple clearing plays tonight.

Dvorak - We all knew it was just a matter of time before he started connecting. Another excellent effort at both ends of the ice.

Ferguson - He had his problems this evening. Usually makes the simple play but tonight he was putting pucks on Chicago players sticks.

Hemsky - Looks like he is skating in a paper bag, really is struggling and even is having trouble with his passes. Did make a beauty pass on the PP to Dvorak though.

Horcoff - Did a good job in the first half of the game on the PK and defensively. But then started to slide, had a terrible second half of the game. When does MacT make him sit?

Isbister - Looked like he was out of sync most of the night. Gonna give him some slack as he just came back from injury.

Laraque - Did he play tonight? Nothing really to say, when he was on the ice he didn't accomplish much.

Moreau -He just keeps on playing well. He has been excellent in all aspects all season. What a shot he has too! He has been the Moreau that Chicago was expecting when they drafted him 14th overall.

Pisani - Always good defensively.

Smith - Strong game as usual this season.

Smyth - Can't wait until he is back on the wing. He is not the same player at centre ice and obviously Lowe knows it. Can't wait for Oates to get in the lineup.

Staios - Good game, nothing spectaculor just solid.

Stoll - Like this kid, he is already so smart defensively and he will just keep getting better offensively.

Torres - Comical, as he obviously had trouble getting his edge back. He just kept on falling down, but he also just keeps on scoring goals.

York - He is such a good hockey player, was just excellent on the PK and just makes great plays offensively.

Old
11-18-2003, 07:51 PM
edmontonoilers89

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44

Horcoff - Did a good job in the first half of the game on the PK and defensively. But then started to slide, had a terrible second half of the game. When does MacT make him sit?
Agree with mostly everything you say. Personally, I thought Horcoff played a very solid game. I guess people have very differing viewpoints, but I saw a Horcoff that was really trying hard out there in the second half of the game, preferably the whole period.

Taking the puck to the net, hitting, I thought he played a good game.

Old
11-18-2003, 08:07 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmontonoilers89
Agree with mostly everything you say. Personally, I thought Horcoff played a very solid game. I guess people have very differing viewpoints, but I saw a Horcoff that was really trying hard out there in the second half of the game, preferably the whole period.

Taking the puck to the net, hitting, I thought he played a good game.
I was ready to give him a good report but then he struggled in the second half but that being said it was a better effort than usual.

Old
11-18-2003, 08:58 PM
OYLer

Quote:
I was ready to give him a good report but then he struggled in the second half but that being said it was a better effort than usual.
Horcoff played more shifts than any other forward - 23. Either the coaching staff has been told to showcase him or he is deemed to be one of the most dependable Oilers' forward. IMHO he played not bad against the best that the Hawks could ice. He is still struggling but he is slowly working his way out of a slump.

Old
11-18-2003, 09:04 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by OYLer
Horcoff played more shifts than any other forward - 23. Either the coaching staff has been told to showcase him or he is deemed to be one of the most dependable Oilers' forward. IMHO he played not bad against the best that the Hawks could ice. He is still struggling but he is slowly working his way out of a slump.
Of course we are still weak at centre but I thought he struggled a lot in the second period with giveaways but I probably was a little too hard on him tonight.

He did play better and maybe this is the start of his turnaround. Here's to hoping.

Old
11-18-2003, 09:10 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Of course we are still weak at centre but I thought he struggled a lot in the second period with giveaways but I probably was a little too hard on him tonight.

He did play better and maybe this is the start of his turnaround. Here's to hoping.
He changed to the silver Synergy from the orange Synergy, goes a little better with the uni. That was about the only "improvement" that I noticed

Old
11-18-2003, 10:14 PM
USC Trojans
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
He changed to the silver Synergy from the orange Synergy, goes a little better with the uni. That was about the only "improvement" that I noticed
speaking of weird sticks, has anyone seen Chara's blue lightSabre?
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/photo?sl...ttx103&prov=ap

Old
11-18-2003, 10:25 PM
OYLer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alzardnp1
speaking of weird sticks, has anyone seen Chara's blue lightSabre?
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/photo?sl...ttx103&prov=ap
Chara reminds me of an Ent, the living and walking tree people from the Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers.

Old
11-19-2003, 02:38 AM
copperaddict

Had to listen to the game on the computer as I had to work nights,but the only time I heard Horcoff name other then the penalty was when he was giving the puck away.He does give 110% but I think that may be hurting him as it seems his brain can't keep up with his legs.

Old
11-19-2003, 06:38 AM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperaddict
Had to listen to the game on the computer as I had to work nights,but the only time I heard Horcoff name other then the penalty was when he was giving the puck away.He does give 110% but I think that may be hurting him as it seems his brain can't keep up with his legs.
Too be honest he did play better in the first half especially on the penalty kill. But he also gave the puck away a lot especially in the second half.

So I will be fair and call it a mixed review.

Old
11-19-2003, 07:11 AM
Marconius

I'm pretty impressed with York in the last stretch of games. He struggled a little bit early on but he's got a tidy little point streak going now (5 games, I believe). I can't beleive Sather gave him away. He is the model unsung hero. Quietly collects his points, works like a dog and is pretty good defensively. I think his biggest strength is his versatility. I guess I don't have a lot to add to the discussion, just happy hes doing well
Same with Dvorak, as well. He was plkaying so hard in the beginning of the year, but not scoring. I was a little worried he was going slip into a slump, but his attitude has been great. Another guy I can't beleive Sather ditched. He really looks like he's enjoying playing fast, offensive hockey in Edmonton.

Old
11-19-2003, 07:34 AM
barto

I was at the game last night, too...3rd time this year and the Oilers are now 3-0 when I go to games!! Anyone want to offer their tickets to me??

I didn't notice any major blunders by Bergeron, and he made more of those smart/sneaky plays that we've been missing for a while. He has a pretty sharp shot, too. I'd give him a B for this game.

Brewer I thought made a couple good plays early, then fell apart. I think it was late in the first he was getting the puck behind the net with a couple Hawks swooping in, taking away his outlet passes, so he quickly turned and fired it high around the glass to safety. but obviously had some major brain farts later, including the clearing shot with the huge windup that hit Stoll. You could see him really looking up at the ceiling after the play finally ended (mercifully without a goal against).

Oilers in general were very sluggish in the 2nd, played with no emotion or edge, weren't skating.

Moreau was great again tonight - one of the few Oilers who kept working hard all game, made some plays, some hits, took shots, checked well, and that turn-around wrist shot for his goal was a thing of beauty. Grade: A

Conklin was sharp again, obviously, although he went down way too early on the first goal. Then again, both goals were bullet shots that picked the corners - definitely not what you could remotely call 'weak' goals. A-

I thought the whole D was suspect tonight, with Bergeron and maybe Smith the exceptions. Staios tried hard but looked largely ineffective to me last night, for instance.

Smyth had an "OK" game - was battling hard, showed flashes of the "old" Smytty, but also some of the 'new' Smytty. Whether that was related to his playing center, well, it's easy to suspect. C+

Horcoff was good & bad...he did win a couple of key faceoffs here and there (lost a few, too), generally worked hard. Not sure what his problem is, though, and what happened to his game from late last year. C

Torres - what can you say? I saw more physical play from him last night than I remember seeing in previous games, although maybe that's due to seeing the game live vs. on TV. He showed some pretty good strength, tying up the D-man trying to play the puck in open ice on one play, and taking the man, holding them against the boards, and also has a nose for the net and where the puck will likely go. Pretty weak goal (for the Hawks' goalie) but he was in a good spot from Dvo's rebound and took the shot. He's definitely not afraid to shoot, and he does have a pretty good shot! B+

Those are just some random thoughts on various Oilers. I thought for the Hawks that Scott Nichol showed some good stuff and has a really good quick hard shot...which was apparent on his goal, but also on some other shots he took during the game.

And hats off to Randy Mitten for coming back after being crunched into the boards - he's one of the last linesmen to still go without a helmet.

Refs were OK tonight, too, which you don't always notice or think of unless there were some blatant bad calls.

It was fun to watch, for the most part - scary in the second, but more fun in the 1st and 3rd periods (duh)!

Bart

Old
11-19-2003, 07:37 AM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconius
I'm pretty impressed with York in the last stretch of games. He struggled a little bit early on but he's got a tidy little point streak going now (5 games, I believe). I can't beleive Sather gave him away. He is the model unsung hero. Quietly collects his points, works like a dog and is pretty good defensively. I think his biggest strength is his versatility. I guess I don't have a lot to add to the discussion, just happy hes doing well
Same with Dvorak, as well. He was plkaying so hard in the beginning of the year, but not scoring. I was a little worried he was going slip into a slump, but his attitude has been great. Another guy I can't beleive Sather ditched. He really looks like he's enjoying playing fast, offensive hockey in Edmonton.
Good points - I meant to say something about York, too, as I noticed some key draws he won throughout the game. I'd see the Oilers get the puck after a draw and strain to see who won it - more often than not it was York (Horcoff got a couple, too). And he really worked hard to get the puck to Dvo for the empty-netter, too...great player, great trade by Lowe. Same for Dvorak - you can really tell he loves to play (never sure about Carter) and seems very happy to be in Edmonton. One of the 'nice guys' out there - hope he continues to find success on the ice and off (with his prematurely-born child back in Czech Republic).

Bart

Old
11-19-2003, 09:12 AM
Hemmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconius
Maybe Slats is secretly an Edmonton operative...working behind enemy lines to improve the Oil from afar while doing everything in his power to tank the big-market team to prove it isn't successful, at the sacrifice of his own reputation...

Closed Thread