HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ECQF: Rangers (1) vs Senators (8)

Closed Thread

Old
04-09-2012, 10:29 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Would not surprise me at all if we were to drop the first game, and this series go 6 or even 7 games, but I think The Rangers will win it.

Not knocking our team, but I think there is a learning curve and it's a process. I actually think a 7 game series will be good for us and sens are a good match up.

I might go to Saturdays game.

04-09-2012, 10:30 AM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylizer1 View Post
You judge teams on their most recent successes and failures. The Rangers won the cup 18 years ago, does that still make them Stanley Cup favorites?
Anything prior to this season shouldn't be in the discussion about which team has the edge in this series. Compare the 82 game regular season and head-to-head matchups. Nothing else should factor in. Stop bringing up the Rangers history. It has no bearing on what happens out on the ice Thursday.

Old
04-09-2012, 10:33 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
You judge teams on their most recent successes and failures. The Rangers won the cup 18 years ago, does that still make them Stanley Cup favorites?
So the Rangers, being 2nd in the league in points, would be the favorites in this series and should win.

Old
04-09-2012, 10:33 AM
NikC

Quote:
no it doesn't and no one is saying that. You are the one sourcing our "history" of playoff performances. We are confident in our team in this series based on their play this season. There really is no other criteria that has any bearing but both teams play for this current season.

Old
04-09-2012, 10:40 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 470
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I think you guys take this is 6. Flyers-Rangers ECF. Also, I love the Ancient Aliens avatars. Whomever came up with that is brilliant.

Old
04-09-2012, 10:42 AM
Rangers Fail
free james sheppard

Gross:

Rangers say Marian Gaborik out today with the flu and Ryan Callahan attending to "personal matters."

I fear the worst. Don't let it be Grandma Cally.

Old
04-09-2012, 10:46 AM
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
Gross:

Rangers say Marian Gaborik out today with the flu and Ryan Callahan attending to "personal matters."

I fear the worst. Don't let it be Grandma Cally.

Old
04-09-2012, 10:51 AM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
We still wouldn't have had home ice if we finished 7th and would have had to try and beat the defending Cup Champs. The Rangers had a good season but have a history of not doing much in the playoffs. You would think a team 2 points away from first overall would see that as important if they thought they were going to go to the finals.

The Sens chose not to finish 7th in order to play the Rangers.

The only thing Ottawa had to play for was making the playoffs. Once that was accomplished they made sure to position themselves in a match up they wanted.

The Rangers had a good season but have a history of not doing much in the playoffs.
So if you repeat yourself fifteen times it will come true?

The Rangers have never been in the same position they are now. The last team that were even close was in 06 and we had a myriad of injuries.

The following seasons we got out of the first round and got beat by Buffalo(#1 team during the season)and Pitt.

The last two times we have been the 8th seeds playing the #1 Washington.

The last time we even had a season close to this one was 97. I think your grossly overstating your position.

Old
04-09-2012, 10:53 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
So if you repeat yourself fifteen times it will come true?

The Rangers have never been in the same position they are now. The last team that were even close was in 06 and we had a myriad of injuries.

The following seasons we got out of the first round and got beat by Buffalo(#1 team during the season)and Pitt.

The last two times we have been the 8th seeds playing the #1 Washington.

The last time we even had a season close to this one was 97. I think your grossly overstating your position.
You also forgot to include, "What the **** does playoff history have to do with the current 1st place team that is completely healthy?" Absolutely NOTHING

Old
04-09-2012, 10:54 AM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Which is also WAY more success than your franchise has ever had. Win your first cup and then we will talk.

No the old Senator's don't count, not the same franchise.

Most of Sen's fans seem pretty cool, but your just a troll. Go back to your board and spout your nonsense.

Teenagers running their mouths.

Old
04-09-2012, 10:59 AM
NikC

if this doesn't get you pumped for the playoffs, nothing will...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGS8re8cIVI&safe=active

Old
04-09-2012, 10:59 AM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
It's the complete opposite because unlike our teams of the past, this year we're good.

And I'll be quoting you when the series is over buddy, don't you worry .
It doesn't matter, he will run away if they lose. Or spout some nonsense that he was "just having some fun".

Old
04-09-2012, 11:00 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post

**** I just got Rick Roll'd.....

Hats off to you

Old
04-09-2012, 11:08 AM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyday Im Hagelin View Post
**** I just got Rick Roll'd.....

Hats off to you
we've got to lighten the mood in here...

Old
04-09-2012, 11:29 AM
blue425

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I think you guys take this is 6. Flyers-Rangers ECF. Also, I love the Ancient Aliens avatars. Whomever came up with that is brilliant.
It would be amazing if the Rangers and Flyers both got to round three. Here is hoping it happens

As for my fellow Rangers fans: Use the ignore list. It is a wonderful feature.

Old
04-09-2012, 11:30 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

After taking a long look at all the stat splits, previous game wrap-ups and matchup previews -this is my take:

The Rangers need to get to Ottawa early, and when I say early I mean both early in the games, and early in the series. For the Rangers, they are a very good team with the lead and we know that they've succeeded when scoring first and playing with leads. I also think they need to impose their will on the Sens early in the series by showing them it isnt going to be easy to come into MSG and win. Whether thats winning game 1 convincingly and going from there, or by physically dominating them by finishing checks and forechecking the hell out of them and going from there. Hopefully it's a little bit of both. You dont want the Sens to hang around because they score a lot in the third period. The Rangers have a habit of not finishing teams off, and playing close games - which is part of their style. But the Sens give up a ton of goals, so you have to capitalize on that.

This could be a nightmare matchup, or it could be exactly what the Rangers need. Grow some confidence in the scoring department, maybe get the powerplay going at the expense of the Sens weaker PK units. Exploit their defense and hem them into their own end, not allowing them to skate... and most importantly, win a series - any series, because this Rangers team has grown together, been though some tough series with the Caps and imo deserve a series win to grow some confidence.

On the other hand, Anderson could stand on his head with all the shots, and as we've unfortunately seen in the past 3 or 4 weeks, opposing goaltenders have been read hot at MSG, (Varlamov, Thomas, Holtby, etc.) and have basically stole games despite the Rangers getting the better of chances and play.

One thing about the Sens is they havent been great at home on a number of levels. Since the start of February they've gone 6-8-3 at Scotia Bank and have the 29th ranked PK there. So I think with the way the Rangers want to play this series, tight, checking, bottled up - falls right in line with going up there and playing the road game they are so adept at doing. So i think this might be a good team to start the playoffs with - high scoring, so it forces the Rangers to play a more detailed game, and more hard game - one that needs to focus on limiting the skating through the neutral zone especially. I think thats exactly what the Rangers need considering they've struggled a little bit there the last month or so. When the Rangers were flying they had that down to a tee and its a large part of their system play.

Hopefully they start off with a win on Thursday and get the PP going and build some postseason confidence. Dont let the Sens into the series and when it goes to Ottawa, break their will right off the bat up there. The Rangers need to use their heart as a weapon. Get back to doing the things earlier in the year that got them the #1 seed. Blocking shots, winning battles, removing the opposition for the crease, skating, backchecking, stepping up in the neutral zone, no bad goals, being dogs on the puck. But do all of that with one extra stride, follow-through, focus, and oompf. If they do that, they win the series.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 04-09-2012 at 11:38 AM.
Old
04-09-2012, 11:39 AM
Abooch68

I'm tired of hearing, especially in the media, are the rangers for real? Shut up already. They have been on top of the conference for basically an entire season. Give them a little credit.

Old
04-09-2012, 11:48 AM
useref15

I think this is going to be a very tough first series, but we will win in 6. Expect this to be very physical.

Old
04-09-2012, 11:50 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abooch68 View Post
I'm tired of hearing, especially in the media, are the rangers for real? Shut up already. They have been on top of the conference for basically an entire season. Give them a little credit.
On one hand I was glad we are playing a Canadian team because it means extra coverage on TSN. But then I watched some of it and they totally pandered to the Senators.

Old
04-09-2012, 12:20 PM
94now

We Will Sweep Them.
Seriously. They got nothing, except thier coach.

Old
04-09-2012, 12:22 PM
Kershaw

Think Ottawa wins game 1 5-4 and then the trolls will come out at full force.

Old
04-09-2012, 12:26 PM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

THN has the Rangers in 4, for whatever that's worth.

Quote:
How the Rangers win: Henrik Lundqvist will determine how far the Rangers advance. He's been Hart Trophy-great and he'll have to be the same in the playoffs. New York needs to continue its stingy 'D,' especially in the shot-blocking department.
How the Senators win: Ottawa has one of the NHL’s more potent offenses. Its power play and 5-on-5 goals differential both ranked in the top 11 of the league, while its goals-against average hovered near the bottom. Coach Paul MacLean has recognized his team’s resurgence under the emergence of offense-minded blueliner Erik Karlsson and is prepared to go goal-for-goal with an opponent.
How the Rangers lose: If Marian Gaborik and Brad Richards are shut down, the Rangers will have some troubles. Their two stars will need to be sensational and one of their depth forwards will have to emerge as this year's Sean Bergenheim. Ruslan Fedotenko did it before with 12 goals in 22 games for Tampa Bay in 2004.
How the Senators lose: When the Sens’ offense dries up, it’s rare that their goaltending or defense picks up the slack. In fact, in 20 of its 27 losses, Ottawa scored two goals or fewer. This isn’t a particularly stingy defensive group. It needs decent production to win.
Rangers question mark: The 23rd-ranked power play has been brutal and better come to life for New York to end its 18-year Stanley Cup drought. Boston proved Cup contenders can go without a great PP, but it's not the recommended route.
Senators question mark: The third-year pro Karlsson skyrocketed to fame and Norris Trophy contention via elite puck-moving abilities and offensive instincts. But other than a brief toe in the water in 2009-10, Karlsson isn’t tested in the post-season. His play will determine much of the Senators’ success.
Rangers key stat: The Blueshirts have the third-highest winning percentage (.814) when scoring first, so the blueprint will be to get up early and play shutdown hockey the rest of the way.
Senators key stat: Greybeard Daniel Alfredsson’s 11 playoff game-winning goals are the fifth-most among active NHLers.
Quote:
Winner and why: The Sens have been a pleasant surprise, over-performing in what was thought to be a rebuilding year, but that won’t carry over into the second season. New York is the better team any way you cut it and especially where it matters: between the pipes. And losing three in a row to close out the season, as the Senators did, certainly doesn’t set a good tone for an opening showdown against what was the league’s top team for most of the year. A young Ottawa squad will gain experience this post-season and little more. Rangers in four.
http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...w-Round-1.html

RANGERS =
Old
04-09-2012, 12:48 PM
Alvvays
Man Girardi

vCash: 50
Quote:
The Rangers had a good season but have a history of not doing much in the playoffs.
Quote:
Contradictory much?

04-09-2012, 12:49 PM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post

That's it! 2 minutes for...I dunno what, but when I think of something...you're getting two minutes for it. Oh...and I'll see your Rick Astley and raise you this motivator!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV7RBRwEzfs

Old
04-09-2012, 12:58 PM
MugatuNYR
so hot right now

vCash: 983
Stylizer is right! The Rangers have a history of not doing well in the playoffs post-lockout, so obviously that will continue this year.

Closed Thread