HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How many of you right handed player shoot left handed?

Old
01-30-2012, 09:29 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by capebretoncanadien View Post
I'm a bit of an oddball but I see other's that are like me here....

Right handed

Hockey-Left
Golf-Left
Baseball-Left
Goalie-Left

Can't even say why it all just naturally went that way for me.
You mean southpaw goalie (catch right handed)?

Otherwise I'm the same way and play all musical instruments righty.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 11:23 PM
capebretoncanadien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
You mean southpaw goalie (catch right handed)?

Otherwise I'm the same way and play all musical instruments righty.
No maybe not clear enough but left catching goalie (standard)....yeah I'm same with the musical instruments too play righty.

capebretoncanadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 09:51 AM
TrueBlue86

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn1331 View Post
It's just a fact I've heard a few times but more Canadians shoot left handed then right handed, while more Americans shoot right handed than left handed. And it does make sense too if you look at the roster for the 2010 Olympics.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/16/sp...s/16lefty.html

--
“The top hand on a hockey stick has to be able to handle the torques of a stick while the bottom hand just has to handle the weight with no torques,” he wrote. He theorized that American children, who tend to take up hockey when they are older and bigger, can afford to put the stronger hand, generally the right, on the lower part of the shaft for more precision.
--

i agree with this. growing up, i played street hockey with about 15 immigrant kids, all of who have picked up the game at an older age, let's say over 12

everyone shot right except two naturally left handed guys and one kid's younger brother

so i do think if you begin playing hockey at a younger age, you're more likely to shoot left (or right if you're naturally left handed), because the stick is easier to control if your dominant hand is on top.
if you're older and able to control the stick with the left hand, you'd tend to focus more on trying to obtain more power from your lower hand, thus you'd shoot right.

TrueBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 11:15 AM
DontTazMeBro
LoveYouRyanNash

I am all right handed by I play LW so I have the shot already set up for me most of the time, I tried to switch lefty but I couldn't get the right feeling for it. Going for the lower right corner is nice though. In the end of the day, I wish I could have been a lefty, but I've been hooked on righty for so long.

Old username: LoveYouRyanNash
GO HAWKS!
DontTazMeBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 12:41 PM
Fanned On It

I do everything in life righty but play hockey lefty. Seems to be the common trend.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 09:21 PM
whatname

I'm a righty, but shoot left in hockey because I find it easier to use my strong hand to hold the end of the stick. I don't play anymore, but when I did play most of the times I held my stick with one hand, much to the displeasure of my coaches. I bat and golf right handed though.

whatname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 09:49 PM
Seanconn*
mission accomplished

I wish I shot right. they just always seem to have the better angles to score.

Seanconn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 09:52 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanconn View Post
I wish I shot right. they just always seem to have the better angles to score.
Switch your wing

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 12:07 AM
qmechanic

I write righthanded but play with a lefty stick.

When I first started playing hockey, my friend bought me a right handed wood stick for Christmas. I played with a righty stick for about a year and then the coaches on my hockey team decided that I should switch to a lefty stick. One of the coaches was the RA at my college. She claimed that she watched me sweep with a broom and that I was favoring my left side.

I was so mad at the time! I'd daydream about scoring and then I'd realize I couldn't remember if I was a righty or a lefty! But the coaches claimed that I passed better with the lefty stick and now that's how I play.

qmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 11:50 AM
hishyB

I like it because when takin a wrist shot I can pull the butt end if the stick farther back and get more flex in the stick but hey dats just mee

hishyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 11:55 AM
BigDuke6

I'm left handed, but shoot right handed. I play golf right handed, which is the way I learned since I was a kid, and the reason shooting right handed just seemed more natural when I started ice hockey.

BigDuke6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 12:15 PM
LakeshoreWest
Leafs in 7

My right hand is my dominant hand.

Write: right
Hockey: left
baseball: swing left, catch left
golf: left
goalie: catch left

The weirdest I've ever heard is a friend of mine who writes with his right hand, shoots right in hockey, golf and baseball, but catches with his right when playing baseball or goalie, and he throws left. The vast majority of people throw with the same hand they write with.

LakeshoreWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 05:05 PM
dlam

Interesting topic
I throw baseball , tennis serve with my right arm
Shot left in hockey
Switch hit in baseball
Play with mixed set in golf . Righty woods and irons and lefty putter and wedge.

Though I believe you need to use both sides really well even with serving a tennis ball or throwing fastball with one arm, the other arm isn't passive, it assist in moving out of the way or helps with momentum and tempo.

dlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 05:33 PM
zombiekopitor
GOALdobin

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDuke6 View Post
I'm left handed, but shoot right handed. I play golf right handed, which is the way I learned since I was a kid, and the reason shooting right handed just seemed more natural when I started ice hockey.
same!
this is just my own theory but I have found alot of people who shoot opposite usually have better stick handling and a weaker shot. I was/am a pretty accurate shooter but because my dominant hand was on the top I feel like some power was lost.

zombiekopitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 06:00 PM
TrueBlue86

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeshoreWest View Post

The weirdest I've ever heard is a friend of mine who writes with his right hand, shoots right in hockey, golf and baseball, but catches with his right when playing baseball or goalie, and he throws left. The vast majority of people throw with the same hand they write with.
it's not too uncommon for left- handers to write with their right hand. oveckin fits the bill.

it's often they're taught to write by a parent who assumes they're right handed so tells me to hold the pen with that hand. i know some old school european families who insist that their kids write with the right hand and believe writing with the left is bad luck or some curse of some kind lol (it's more rare now days of course)

TrueBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 06:17 PM
Propane Nightmares
The Resist Stance

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue86 View Post
it's often they're taught to write by a parent who assumes they're right handed so tells me to hold the pen with that hand. i know some old school european families who insist that their kids write with the right hand and believe writing with the left is bad luck or some curse of some kind lol (it's more rare now days of course)
Sometimes it's genetics. There's also a weird thing with twins that more often than not, one of them ends up being left handed. There were 7 pairs of twins in my school graduation class (some sort of record in the country apparently), and in at least 3 of the pairs of twins one twin was left handed, not sure about the other pairs because I didn't know them very well.

When I first started writing in school the teacher noticed I was instinctively writing with my left, and she asked my mom if she wanted her to make me switch hands, and my mom said no because she is also left handed. My mom was pretty shocked the teacher asked, it was only 15 years ago so the common old fashioned views were long gone.

In school I was often told "you write weirdly" or "you hold the pen really weird" and that's because left handed people when taught how to write are trying to imitate the way right-handed people do it

Propane Nightmares is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 10:52 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

It's funny I read this debate so many times before my kid was born that I don't even bother to try and correct him at all. He's 99.9% of the time always tried to do all sports left handed (he's right hand dominant) and probably 80-90% of the time uses his right hand to write. He broke his right hand pinky though six months ago and had a cast for six weeks that messed everything up but he's back to normal now.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 11:03 PM
Trl3789

vCash: 219
Im really half and half. Throw, write, kick, shoot right. Shovel, billiards, use fork, throw darts left.

Trl3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 10:08 AM
donkers*

When I was 4 or 5 and my brother started playing hockey he shot left so I used to mess around with his sticks and ended up shooting left as well. Fast forward half a decade later when I started playing my dad bought me a right handed stick and I liked the stick too much to tell him it was the wrong hand so I just stuck with it and have been shooting right ever since. I still have a half decent left handed wrist shot but for some reason I can't get my slapper to not feel awkward.

donkers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 12:21 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

I play golf and can bat either way. Goal either hand (but prefer catching with the left) and shoot left handed.

I can play mini sticks left, or right handed.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 10:32 AM
Grouperhound
Rookie User

Right handed shooting left

I'm Canadian but now live in the States. I started playing hockey at about age 6/7. I am right handed but play hockey left. Interestingly when I was in high school we golfed at a small par three course. I always rented left. However a few years later when I purchased some clubs for a work league I went right without really thinking about it. I now am considering picking up golf again and would like to donate my old clubs and buy left. I just think my iron shots and short game would be much better from the left.

Right Handed by nature-writing, ball throwing, fishing
Hockey-Left
Golf-both, but iron game is better left
Baseball Bat-both

I wonder how many right handed players who shoot left are also switch hitters with a baseball bat?

Grouperhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 11:30 AM
flyers10

Right handed. Write with right hand, golf right, throw right but can switch hit and play hockey left.

flyers10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 01:42 PM
howeaboutthat

I'm right-handed but play with a left stick.

I started playing hockey fairly late and asked my father (who played to a fairly decent level) for his advice on which stick to get. He told me "you're right-handed and your strong hand goes top, so get a left-hand stick". He himself is left-handed and used a right-hand stick, so it makes sense to me. Having done a bit of reading around the subject it also seems that 'strong hand top' is the generally accepted starting point for many new hockey players.

I can't imagine trying to poke check with my left hand and the few times I've tried using a RH stick it just felt plain wrong.

As for other sports, I can switch hit in both baseball/softball and also cricket.

howeaboutthat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 07:26 PM
Stickchecked

I'm a rightie who shoots left. I've always wondered about this so often because I feel like my shot would be better with a rightie shot. I hit baseball rightie and when I'm using a broom I can feel the difference.

At one of my floor hockey games (the ones with the plastic sticks that are provided for you) I decided I was going to give a rightie stick a shot. I couldn't even get through warm up with it. I was willing to have my stickhandling suffer but shooting rightie felt completely awkward.

It just showed me that the top hand contributes a lot to your shot and pass in both power and accuracy, so for most people using your dominant hand makes sense.

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 12:50 PM
No1TopGun

As a adult beginner I went the right handed = shoot right route til I asked the coach why so many rightys shoot left in the NHL. After getting the dominant hand on top thing I decided to switch to left as I sucked on my right anyway. My shot is a lot better but still find stick handling the proper way weird

No1TopGun is offline   Reply With Quote