HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dispatch Season Subplots 03/02/06

Closed Thread

Old
03-02-2006, 07:31 AM
X0ssbar

vCash: 500
Dispatch Season Subplots 03/02/06

Some decent info in the Dispatch this morning:

MacLeanís deal
Amonth ago, owner John H. McConnell said MacLean was close to signing a contract that went year by year, with a predetermined date by which it could be extended.

It seems unlikely that MacLean would sign such a contract. He wants a longterm deal, and some reports in Canada have it at $15 million over five years.

A representative said yesterday that MacLeanís deal is on the table and needs only his signature.

Trade deadline
The most likely scenario is that the Blue Jackets could dump one or two veterans in the final year of his contract, most likely for draft picks.

"You never know," MacLean said. "It can change in a hurry. You think youíre standing pat . . . and then the phone rings."

Unrestricted free agents
Re-signing Vyborny, Malhotra, Letowski and Suchy would seem to be a priority, and MacLean said he has had preliminary talks with all of their agents.

In the next week, the Jackets will try to get an idea of what the players are seeking. If itís significantly different than what the club is expecting, a trade might become an option.

The kids are all right
Once the trade deadline passes, the Jackets will be able to recall up to four players, not including injury recalls, in the final five weeks of the season.

Joakim Lindstrom, Alexandre Picard and O.K. Tollefsen are obvious choices to join the lineup

Center Gilbert Brule, currently tearing up junior hockey, is expected to step in at the No. 2 or No. 3 center spot.

Setting up 2006-07
Attendance has slipped this season in Nationwide Arena by an average of 726 fans. The average crowd of 16,787 is nearly 1,400 below capacity.

If the Jackets can get 24 points out of their last 24 games ó a .500 record ó they will set a franchise record with 72 points.

http://www.columbusdispatch.com/blue...302-C1-03.html

I wasn't aware of the 'recall four players after the deadline' rule. It will be fun to get a look at some of the youth at the end of this year.

I also think we'll see more activity than GMDM is leading onto at the trade deadline - especially if he isn't in the same ballpark as some of those UFAs - he might as well deal em for something. I have a bad feeling that Vybes may be a casualty.

Old
03-02-2006, 08:02 AM
jacketracket*

I avoid the local rag like the plague --- I just don't like the bastids ... Now I guess I'll have to pick up a copy today, to get the full "essence" of the articles.

Thanks, TS.

Old
03-02-2006, 08:16 AM
PenaltyShots

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacketracket
I avoid the local rag like the plague --- I just don't like the bastids ... Now I guess I'll have to pick up a copy today, to get the full "essence" of the articles.

Thanks, TS.
You could just go to Bluejackets.com and hit the links to the dispatch...

Old
03-02-2006, 08:41 AM
JayGee

...or link to all the CBJ stories.

http://www.columbusdispatch.com/blue...luejackets.php

Old
03-02-2006, 09:32 AM
3mta3

This piece was AWESOME. I just got done reading it. Darn work getting in the way of hockey...

I got chills when I saw the mention of Brule as the 2 or 3 line center next season.

Nice reporting Mr. Portzline!

Old
03-02-2006, 11:12 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf
I have a bad feeling that Vybes may be a casualty.
Was in denial about this for a long time. Vybes has been my favorite Jacket since day 1. Figured we'd do whatever it takes to keep him, but he may have priced himself out of Columbus. And with the forward depth - albeit unproven - this may further muddy the notion of keeping him around, especially if a contender is willing to make a generous offer. I know the notion of trading him with the understanding that we'd resign him in the offseason has been batted around here, but that seems like a too-much-to-ask-for scenario.

Old
03-03-2006, 12:05 AM
jacketracket*

Nothing earth-shaking, but I liked reading the blurb about the CBJ calling up players from the 'cuse, with a look towards allocating spots for those who might be sticking next year. Particularly, I liked the bit about a spot being held for Jill-Bear. It's a gimme, but it still feels sooo good to know that he's in the pipeline and ready now.

We'll be thanking Montreal for years to come, IMO.

Old
03-03-2006, 07:07 AM
DougKnowsBest

last night Rimmer said DM reported deal out of the dispatch is greatly exagerated.

quote Mclean "who do they think I am, Pat Riley"

Closed Thread