HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Heat and hockey gear

Old
04-09-2012, 08:08 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

vCash: 500
Heat and hockey gear

It's getting pretty warm in AZ, supposed to be in the 90's today and will certainly be in the 100's throughout the summer.

I skate after work, so I end up taking my gear with me when I commute. It gets pretty warm in the trunk, easily 150-160 on the really hot days (not yet, but give it a month or two and it will be that hot).

I've assumed that the heat isn't a great thing for the gear, so I take it in with me and keep it back behind my desk. I also don't want to risk it getting stolen, but that's always been secondary.

Is this a valid concern? Or is the stuff OK to leave in the heat? It's a PITA to carry it in, but I'd rather do that than risk it getting ruined.

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 08:36 AM
hyster110

its not the hear per say, it would be the build up of bacteria that would eventually ruin your gear. how long is your commute home, if were taking like 10 to 20 minutes that no big deal, the best thing is to air your gear out as soon as you can to avoid it staying wet for long periods of time

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 09:17 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

The commute is 45 minutes - but I'm playing after work, not before. So it would be drive to work, have stuff sit in trunk all day long, go to rink, then drive home (30 minutes). I can and do take it out once I get home.

I'm thinking of my speedskates, which were also heat moldable - if I left them in the trunk when it got hot, they would feel squishy inside, like they do when you bake them for molding. My hockey skates are also bakeable so I'm thinking the same thing might happen. I don't know if there's a limit to how many times they can be molded, but if it's bad for the materials to be constantly heated like that, I'm guessing they shouldn't be left in the car.

Old
04-09-2012, 09:51 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by frackiewicz View Post
The commute is 45 minutes - but I'm playing after work, not before. So it would be drive to work, have stuff sit in trunk all day long, go to rink, then drive home (30 minutes). I can and do take it out once I get home.

I'm thinking of my speedskates, which were also heat moldable - if I left them in the trunk when it got hot, they would feel squishy inside, like they do when you bake them for molding. My hockey skates are also bakeable so I'm thinking the same thing might happen. I don't know if there's a limit to how many times they can be molded, but if it's bad for the materials to be constantly heated like that, I'm guessing they shouldn't be left in the car.
You got it right here. VERY bad idea to leave gear in heat. Skates breakdown for sure, not to mention all of those gels and plastic inserts in other pieces of gear.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 10:03 AM
hockeymass

When I was going to college in Florida, I had a small climate-controlled storage unit for my gear, since I couldn't store it in my dorm room and couldn't leave it in the car. I would pick my gear up on the way to the rink, then bring it back on my way home and hang it up on a rack in the unit. It was like 30-40 bucks a month. Not terribly cheap, but I didn't really have any other choice. Might be a valid option if your coworkers start to object to the smell.

hockeymass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 10:34 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymass View Post
Might be a valid option if your coworkers start to object to the smell.

Luckily, I'm a teacher so the smell stays in my room! And if the students object...eh, they're only in there for an hour, they can deal with it. I have a feeling the smell would be worse if it sat in my car in the heat for 8 hours than if I just kept it behind my desk where it's nice and cool!

Old
04-09-2012, 12:38 PM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Yeah you shouldn't leave it in the car in that heat as it can warp and breakdown the plastic.

The other issue is I am assuming you will be using it "hot" which means it will be stressed in that condition leading to faster breakdown.

Lonny Bohonos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 12:44 PM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
You got it right here. VERY bad idea to leave gear in heat. Skates breakdown for sure, not to mention all of those gels and plastic inserts in other pieces of gear.
Heat molding of skates is done in the range you say may be in your trunk when it heats up. It's not usually recommended to bake skates even 3 times so imagine what leaving them repeatedly in your trunk could potentially do to them.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 01:20 PM
hyster110

well if you have the option to take your gear into work then i would do it

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 01:38 PM
AIREAYE

If that heat can kill any human or animal, it can kill your gear.

OK I think we all get the point :p

Old
04-09-2012, 01:38 PM
frito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
Heat molding of skates is done in the range you say may be in your trunk when it heats up. It's not usually recommended to bake skates even 3 times so imagine what leaving them repeatedly in your trunk could potentially do to them.
And to further emphasize this point, you are not supposed to skate in your skates for 24 hours after baking them as it can ruin them to skate in them before they "set back up" for lack of knowing the correct terminology.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 01:53 PM
r3cc0s

wow 150-160 in the truck? wow that is ridiculiously hot

I was going to say, if your equipment is dry, leaviing it in a hot vehicle, doesn't matter (in fact I air mine out in my car after a morning skate - but we have a secured parking lot at work)

I have brought my gear into my office (it doesn't smell as its dry) and I never have any apprehensions that anyone will steal it... who would want used uncleaned equipment lol

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 02:04 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3cc0s View Post

I was going to say, if your equipment is dry, leaviing it in a hot vehicle, doesn't matter (in fact I air mine out in my car after a morning skate - but we have a secured parking lot at work)

I have brought my gear into my office (it doesn't smell as its dry) and I never have any apprehensions that anyone will steal it... who would want used uncleaned equipment lol
Skates are baked dry...

Old
04-09-2012, 03:17 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Quote:
Yep. It's easily in the 140's in the car once the summer heat hits us - we generally have several incidents of children/pets left in vehicles and they usually don't have happy outcomes. I'm just guessing that the trunk is even hotter.

Old
04-09-2012, 05:44 PM
r3cc0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Skates are baked dry...
I should have stated that we don't even hit over 90 here in Canada... so I doubt that keeping my skates in the back of my hatch to dry after a morning skate would cause any problems (those ovens to bake fit are 170-190 f)

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 06:46 PM
AIREAYE

Well, in the summer it can get pretty hot around Toronto...don't know where you live though.

Old
04-09-2012, 08:31 PM
vapor11

Quote:
I should have stated that we don't even hit over 90 here in Canada... so I doubt that keeping my skates in the back of my hatch to dry after a morning skate would cause any problems (those ovens to bake fit are 170-190 f)

You are probably one of these guys

vapor11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 01:14 PM
Gino 14

Quote:
The oven temp may be that high but in no way do they heat the skates to that temp.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote