HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RD Matt Dumba (2012, 7th overall, Minnesota)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-20-2012, 09:15 PM
  #176
countrcultur
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 144
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
Dumba was my favourite defenceman and the start of the year and is still IMO the defenceman with the highest upside in the draft. If I'm picking 3rd overall I wouldn't hesitate to select Dumba. He can control the game and I would much rather have a player that I have to "reign in" from being too agressive than a player that I have to "light a fire" underneath.

He's a kid. Of course he still has a lot of learning to do. Since when is picking a prospect based on how polished the kid is, or how long it takes for him to develop?
I agree. Watched him around 20 times this year including a bunch lately when they were playing 4-5 D. Seen Murray a few times, pouliot, rienhart a bunch. Dumba Is my number one choice as well. He is close to any of those other guys in any one aspect that they might be better but is better than all of them in most aspects. He has really been playing a well-rounded high energy game for 30 mins a night with consistency. Ultra impressive player.

countrcultur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 09:29 PM
  #177
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 28,657
vCash: 500
Kid is a beast. I want the Caps to find a way to trade up.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 05:48 PM
  #178
sbtatter
Registered User
 
sbtatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,196
vCash: 500
His stats are inflated from playing so many minutes. He has trouble with wingers going outside on him. He's small for the physical game he wants to play.
But he has tonnes of character and likes to go to the dirty areas.
He will get picked between 4th and 6th imo. And if he grows, he can play the same game in the NHL, if he doesn't grow, he's going to have to adjust.
Interesting to note he didn't make the 1st or 2nd all star team in the WHL this year

sbtatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 05:55 PM
  #179
R S
Renegade Stylings
 
R S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 24,670
vCash: 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtatter View Post
His stats are inflated from playing so many minutes. He has trouble with wingers going outside on him. He's small for the physical game he wants to play.
But he has tonnes of character and likes to go to the dirty areas.
He will get picked between 4th and 6th imo. And if he grows, he can play the same game in the NHL, if he doesn't grow, he's going to have to adjust.
Interesting to note he didn't make the 1st or 2nd all star team in the WHL this year
I know that he was in the running though. He definitely got some votes, but age held him back.

__________________
Scout based in Western Canada - find me on Twitter:

@DubFromAbove
@Avs_Tweets
R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 06:13 PM
  #180
sbtatter
Registered User
 
sbtatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
but age held him back.
It didn't stop the younger Pulock from making the 1st team though....

sbtatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 06:43 PM
  #181
sbtatter
Registered User
 
sbtatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,196
vCash: 500
Interesting thread from a Rebels watcher
http://www.whlfans.ca/showthread.php?t=24667
Matt Dumba - (B-) - He was just a couple of goals away from leading the team in points this season. On the flip side, it was really really hard to watch all the mistakes that he made on the defensive side of things, and he had maybe one of his signature huge open-ice hits in the entire last half of the season. It is going to be really hard for NHL teams to overlook his offensive production, but I see him back in Red Deer next season, as being that much out of position most of the time isn't going to fly at the NHL level, and he still has a lot of work to do on that.

That's what I see in Dumba a lot, out of position, and wingers fly by him on the outside....

sbtatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 07:30 PM
  #182
BigD66
Registered User
 
BigD66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Red Deer, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 428
vCash: 500
I think that guy discounted Dumba for having less "wow" factor due to him focussing on playing more sound defense and being more calculated with those big hits, so they didn't come as often. I saw Dumba improve his defensive positioning and skills all year. He still needs to work on it, and I think he'll be back in Red Deer next year too, but he hasn't regressed in my opinion.

Plus, Petrovic gets an A++ and Dumba a B-? From watching the Rebels all year I don't agree with that. Dumba was easily just as strong as Petrovic from what I saw.

BigD66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 08:19 PM
  #183
Arpeggio
Registered User
 
Arpeggio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,499
vCash: 500
Any chemistry with RNH last season? I think that could factor into the Oilers' choice.

Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 08:28 PM
  #184
Dempsey
Registered User
 
Dempsey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Coquitlam, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
Any chemistry with RNH last season? I think that could factor into the Oilers' choice.
??? I always hear this sort of thing from people about how a team should go after a prospect because he has good chemistry in juniors with their prospect. I really don't think it makes for a good enough reason to rank a player higher than he should be ranked. Especially a forward and a defenseman.

Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 10:11 PM
  #185
countrcultur
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 144
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD66 View Post
I think that guy discounted Dumba for having less "wow" factor due to him focussing on playing more sound defense and being more calculated with those big hits, so they didn't come as often. I saw Dumba improve his defensive positioning and skills all year. He still needs to work on it, and I think he'll be back in Red Deer next year too, but he hasn't regressed in my opinion.

Plus, Petrovic gets an A++ and Dumba a B-? From watching the Rebels all year I don't agree with that. Dumba was easily just as strong as Petrovic from what I saw.
Agreed. Dumba and petrovic shared duties and played fairly equal minutes and at a fairly even level. I would say dumba slightly bigger impact offensively and Alex better defensively slightly.

As far as wingers flying by him a lot... Seriously? I didn't see it. The reason they couldnt win enough games down the stretch is they had like 10-18 injuries with some key guys out. Dumba's partner was out which was there number four and I think petrovics partner as well. I saw the other guys get beat a lot but they were stepping up big time in minutes and responsibility.

countrcultur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 10:38 AM
  #186
R S
Renegade Stylings
 
R S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 24,670
vCash: 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtatter View Post
It didn't stop the younger Pulock from making the 1st team though....
Yeah, and Pulock had a far superior year. Nobody's denying that. Was just telling you that I know of atleast a few WHL GM's/coaches had his name written down on their ballots.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 12:39 PM
  #187
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 5,964
vCash: 500
One thing I love about Dumba is he always cares the puck from his own end into the offensive zone by himself. Definitely awesome in the PMD skill.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 01:20 PM
  #188
sbtatter
Registered User
 
sbtatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Yeah, and Pulock had a far superior year. Nobody's denying that. Was just telling you that I know of atleast a few WHL GM's/coaches had his name written down on their ballots.
Yeah, I just had to pry that out of you, because originally you said Dumba didn't make the all star teams because;

"but age held him back"

When the real reason was he wasn't good enough to make the all star teams, which you now admit, so we're good now! Just have to get Aaron Vickers to see the light now!

sbtatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 02:13 PM
  #189
countrcultur
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 144
vCash: 500
In-depth scouting report at http://thehockeywriters.com/matt-dum...outing-report/

countrcultur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 02:20 PM
  #190
umwoz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,852
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephtones View Post
One thing I love about Dumba is he always cares the puck from his own end into the offensive zone by himself. Definitely awesome in the PMD skill.
Call it semantics but I'd say him(and Reilly to a lesser extent) are more "puck rushers" than puck movers. Dumba's passing isn't outstanding but he won't think twice about taking it up ice and getting the breakout done by himself. It's part of what makes him so dangerous, but it doesn't make him a PPQB, more of a bomb from the point.

ie. Perfect for Edmonton, let RNH QB the powerplay with Dumba bombing them on net. There are other defenseman that EDM would love as well, but this isn't a Murray thread.

umwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 01:32 PM
  #191
BarberioTheBarbarian
Registered User
 
BarberioTheBarbarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Sarasota, Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 589
vCash: 500
Any new info on this guy?

BarberioTheBarbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 01:39 PM
  #192
R S
Renegade Stylings
 
R S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 24,670
vCash: 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarberioTheBarbarian View Post
Any new info on this guy?
Well, he's captaining Team Canada at the World Under-18 championships in the Czech Republic right now.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 07:53 AM
  #193
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarberioTheBarbarian View Post
Any new info on this guy?
I saw this

http://lastwordonsports.com/2012/04/...-5-matt-dumba/

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 08:11 AM
  #194
sbtatter
Registered User
 
sbtatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,196
vCash: 500
We're seeing the good and the bad of Dumba at the U18's
"Matt Dumba: The effort is there all the time but the brain is not always on par with effort. One quick example: Morrissey was lugging the puck out of his zone and drew 3 defenders to his side of the ice. Dumba supported him towards the middle of the ice (correctly) and Morrissey dished it to him. What does Dumba do? he follows up Morrissey's rear rather than skating or moving the puck to the open weak side. Morrissey actually did a great job adjusting to this and moved towards the middle to give Dumba and option. Too many plays like this by Dumba"
http://www.hockeyprospect.com/index....-under-18.html

sbtatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 09:00 AM
  #195
AtomicSmashbomb*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 114
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
I'd avoid that site. It looks like it was done by a fifth grader who is pretending to be a lawyer.

AtomicSmashbomb* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 10:40 AM
  #196
R S
Renegade Stylings
 
R S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 24,670
vCash: 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtatter View Post
We're seeing the good and the bad of Dumba at the U18's
"Matt Dumba: The effort is there all the time but the brain is not always on par with effort. One quick example: Morrissey was lugging the puck out of his zone and drew 3 defenders to his side of the ice. Dumba supported him towards the middle of the ice (correctly) and Morrissey dished it to him. What does Dumba do? he follows up Morrissey's rear rather than skating or moving the puck to the open weak side. Morrissey actually did a great job adjusting to this and moved towards the middle to give Dumba and option. Too many plays like this by Dumba"
http://www.hockeyprospect.com/index....-under-18.html
Yeah, he's a unique animal. Very raw and explosive but going to take some time to sort out his decision making, play away from the puck and overall defensive awareness.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 10:46 AM
  #197
Marc the Habs Fan
Moderator
MVP
 
Marc the Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Longueuil
Country: Canada
Posts: 57,585
vCash: 567
He's having a heck of a U-18 tournament offensively so far:

3 goals and 3 assists in 3 games.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 12:24 PM
  #198
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
He's having a heck of a U-18 tournament offensively so far:

3 goals and 3 assists in 3 games.
I seem to remember he had a great Hlinka tourney as well, last summer.

He certainly is helping his draft stock. Thats for sure.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 12:56 PM
  #199
NeilYoung
Registered User
 
NeilYoung's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,785
vCash: 500
He's going to be a complete beast

NeilYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 01:12 PM
  #200
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,173
vCash: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicSmashbomb View Post
I'd avoid that site. It looks like it was done by a fifth grader who is pretending to be a lawyer.

Sounds like someone has a bone to pick.

How very broads of you.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:47 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.