Closed Thread

Old
04-08-2012, 07:15 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Campbell was Bernhardt's pick through and through.
I'm probably wrong then.

Ultimately though, Nieuwendyk had to make a decision who to listen to and he listened to a guy not named Les Jackson. Why that guy hasn't been calling all of the shots regarding drafting is beyond me. He's probably the most under the radar but most quietly efficient and productive person employed by the Dallas Stars organization.

Old
04-08-2012, 07:26 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
I'm probably wrong then.

Ultimately though, Nieuwendyk had to make a decision who to listen to and he listened to a guy not named Les Jackson. Why that guy hasn't been calling all of the shots regarding drafting is beyond me. He's probably the most under the radar but most quietly efficient and productive person employed by the Dallas Stars organization.
I honestly never thought I'd see you say this. Not that you're cocky or a know-it-all, just that you always have a great point and rarely seem to be wrong. Not sure I've ever disagreed with you.

I agree. Bernhardt was probably the more dominant voice at the time, though.

Old
04-08-2012, 07:49 PM
Elysian
@AdamBath

http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/arch...n-gulutza.html

Nieuwy and Gully officially not getting the boot.

Old
04-08-2012, 07:57 PM
Bennrocks

Not surprised in the least

Old
04-08-2012, 07:57 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/arch...n-gulutza.html

Nieuwy and Gully officially not getting the boot.
Meh. Fine either way.

Old
04-08-2012, 08:01 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
This is a huge quote as far as I'm concerned from Gaglardi:
I don't think our leaders were our best players down the stretch, and that's something that we need to look at to see if that was a common theme in the last four years. It has to be looked at, because we have to make sure it doesn't happen again next year.
That's something I've believed for a while. It's not just your best players need to be your best players like Razor says, your leaders have to be your best players.

We're going to see some big time movement, as we should.

Old
04-08-2012, 08:05 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Thank God we have an owner who gets it and isn't afraid to say it.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Old
04-08-2012, 08:06 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

^caught my eye as well. Hopefully Gaglardi is serious about this and makes Joe change the core over the offseason.

Old
04-08-2012, 08:19 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
Thank God we have an owner who gets it and isn't afraid to say it.

???

Old
04-08-2012, 09:51 PM
Ampersand
Dallas Stars Fan

This is great news

Old
04-08-2012, 09:54 PM
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\|\\

Time to bring Barch back.

Old
04-09-2012, 07:18 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
We're going to see some big time movement, as we should.
I'm glad Gaglardi called that group out, but ....

What happens if no one is willing to take Morrow due to surgery/injury? He confirmed he gets his feelings hurt when poster on hockey forums talk bad about him. How does he react to this?

I don't think trading him will be an issue, but I think this means you have to move him regardless of what you're getting back. Please, please be to the East though because I'd hate for this to be the motivation he needs to start caring again.

Old
04-09-2012, 07:56 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Best time to trade him is at the trade deadline. If we get a quality offer now, though, take it. I'm not expecting a huge payoff, but we can't just get rid of him for anything.

Old
04-09-2012, 08:34 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Best time to trade him is at the trade deadline. If we get a quality offer now, though, take it. I'm not expecting a huge payoff, but we can't just get rid of him for anything.
IDK ... his wife has taken to Twitter to complain about the fans, and on the Ticket post game show Morrow talked about how the fan reaction get's him down even though he did admit he's getting better about it.

If fan's can have an impact on him, I can only imagine how he'd react to the owner saying the same thing most fans say. If he does have a negative reaction to the comments, you can't really keep him on the roster for the majority of the year.

Who else is in the leadership group, btw? I know Eriksson and Benn wore "A"'s some this year, but IIRC that was when Morrow was out.

Wasn't it primarily Morrow, Ott, and Robidas? A letter isn't the only requirement for a leadership role, but I assume he's talking about those guys.

Old
04-09-2012, 09:17 AM
Troy McClure

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Who else is in the leadership group, btw? I know Eriksson and Benn wore "A"'s some this year, but IIRC that was when Morrow was out.

Wasn't it primarily Morrow, Ott, and Robidas? A letter isn't the only requirement for a leadership role, but I assume he's talking about those guys.
You can add Loui to that group. He was invisible during this stretch of failure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
I'm glad Gaglardi called that group out, but ....

What happens if no one is willing to take Morrow due to surgery/injury? He confirmed he gets his feelings hurt when poster on hockey forums talk bad about him. How does he react to this?
That's my worry. Gaglardi said some honest things, but he may not be able to do anything about it.

Old
04-09-2012, 10:20 AM
Starsdude

Well Gaglardi so far is talk. Keeping Newy and Gully only hurts you longer term. Both have been out matched. I would be more intrigued giving Jackson a full shoot without the Ambassador of Fun in his way. Realistically, there is Parise, Suter and semin. Next tier Hudler and Mitchell and not much else and Morrow and Robidas or Ribs likely bring little help. Actually, the cheap Loui is the most tradeable asset unless Newy wants to totally destroy this team and trade Benn for another #3 d-man in another Neal-Gogo deal.

As for the stability remark, Garth snow has been at the Isles since 2006. How is that working out? The normally homer Heika had a good article on Newy botching his 2 coaching choices. I was unaware that Hitch was actually interviewed and Gully selected above him while Crawford over laviolette looks ridiculous in hindsight. Newy played for Hitch and Hitch's style is tough nevertheless he can coach and the fact that Newy chose a soft inexperienced coach like Gully over Hitch makes me believe that the turnaround here will only be delayed even further and Newy is the wrong guy for the job.

Old
04-09-2012, 10:31 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Holland was given time to do his thing, and look at what he built. Nieuwy could go either way.

Realistically, Parise and Suter won't sign here. Semin and Garrison are probably the best we can do.

Old
04-09-2012, 12:03 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Holland was given time to do his thing, and look at what he built. Nieuwy could go either way.
Holland built his repertoire through tons of experience. 7 years as scout, 3 years as Assistant GM before he took the reins in 1997 as GM. Add to that an enviable scouting department that has helped the organization tremendously.

Contrary to the above, Nieuwendyk burned some rubber in Florida and Toronto- about 1-2 years of experience. If you ask me, Nieuwy- a familiar and much-beloved individual among the fanbase- was brought in primarily to take the heat off of Hicks and management that had failed to build from that 2008 run and an impending financial crisis. Not the right situation for a manager with that little an experience to be in. He has done a good job with stockpiling the prospect pool, but the jury is still out on him, IMO. I'd give him this off-season to see what he can do.

Last edited by StarsFan74: 04-09-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old
04-09-2012, 12:18 PM
TheGuyFromThere
HFBoards Sponsor

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2012/0...th-discussing/

Pretty cool article on theScore about Jamie Benn's season.

Old
04-09-2012, 01:38 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Who exactly is responsible for finding Fraser and Dillon? Nieuwy or one of the scouts?

Old
04-09-2012, 01:42 PM
Troy McClure

Quote:
Holland was given time to do his thing, and look at what he built.
Other than getting lucky with Datsyuk and Zetterberg, most of Holland's greatness can be attributed to getting Lidstrom to sign multiple contract extensions.

Old
04-09-2012, 01:44 PM
Bennrocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
Other than getting lucky with Datsyuk and Zetterberg, most of Holland's greatness can be attributed to getting Lidstrom to sign multiple contract extensions.
Yeah... I think what Holland does after lidstrom retires is going to be very telling

Old
04-09-2012, 01:47 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Who exactly is responsible for finding Fraser and Dillon? Nieuwy or one of the scouts?
Probably the same guy who found us Benn.

Old
04-09-2012, 01:54 PM
CRSeven
Ballon d'Or 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Shot View Post
http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2012/0...th-discussing/

Pretty cool article on theScore about Jamie Benn's season.
Thanks for posting. That was a good read.

Old
04-09-2012, 01:58 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

WHL scout I assume for Dillion. Might even be Shane Churla.

I know we have guys who basically scout the league. Once a kid gets on a scout's radar they get more attention and others are brought in to evaluate. I'm sure a "hey keep a look out for defensemen," was disseminated by the organization. From there it's conversations with his team, other scouts, the kid himself from where a personal relationship is built. After that you show Dillon our abysmal depth chart at the time, give him a good NHL contract and he jumps on it. Dallas might have been one of the first teams to reach out to him. After getting passed over because of his size during his draft years he's grateful and he remembers it come signing time.

Closed Thread