HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 CBJ Offseason Thread (All Proposals, Speculation, Blog Rumors in here)

Closed Thread

Old
04-08-2012, 05:47 PM
FutureCjJohnson

vCash: 500
I agree. Love Dorsett and he had a career year. DMac is an all out effort guy and a very good bottom 6 center. I wouldn't mind having Sanford back. He played very well for us and deserves another go around.

Old
04-08-2012, 06:58 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 1138
2012 CBJ Offseason Thread (All Proposals, Speculation, Blog Rumors in here)

The draft has its own thread HERE. All other general discussion about the CBJ 2012 Offseason goes here.

Last edited by SuperGenius: 04-08-2012 at 10:41 PM.
Old
04-09-2012, 04:28 AM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
It just kind of hit me that Nash isn't going to be playing for the Jackets next year. This makes me sad, I've realized

Too bad we can't trade Howson and Priest for a 6th round pick in 2025 instead.

Old
04-09-2012, 06:16 AM
RBarRegular

Get Dorsett a contract at a reasonable rate. I'd also extend offers to DMac and Sanford but do it on our terms. Sanford 1 year, $1 million. DMac 2 years, $2.2 million. I think both would accept those offers. If they want to play hardball, let them walk.

As for Jared Boll, qualify him at the 10% requirement and let the chips fall where they may.

Isn't Nikitin RFA? Get him a 3 year contract worth $7.5 million.

Old
04-09-2012, 06:38 AM
RBarRegular

If Nash is in fact traded, we have almost $17 million coming off the books. If Mason is likewise jettisoned, take off nearly $3 million more. We are accumulating draft picks and we've got some financial flexibility. We're set on the back end. Now the question becomes can we attract any potential UFA forwards to come here without having to overspend ridiculoulsly?

Here's a question. Everyone discusses the trading of our first pick. No one mentions the possibility of parlaying LA's first round pick into a player. Granted, it wouldn't bring the return the 1st or 2nd overall pick would but it's still a first round pick.

Old
04-09-2012, 06:50 AM
megashock5

Send a message via AIM to megashock5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feicht View Post
It just kind of hit me that Nash isn't going to be playing for the Jackets next year. This makes me sad, I've realized

Too bad we can't trade Howson and Priest for a 6th round pick in 2025 instead.
I agree. The end of that final game hit me harder than I expected.

As for untouchables, pretty much Vinny and JMFJ, although I'd like to keep Dorsett, DMac, Atkinson and Nail

Old
04-09-2012, 07:59 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Some helps from CapGeek:

2012 CBJ free agents
http://capgeek.com/free_agents.php?y...1&fa_type_id=2

Current CBJ salary structure
http://capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=13

2012 free agent list (customizable)
http://capgeek.com/free_agents.php?y...1&fa_type_id=2

Old
04-09-2012, 08:16 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBarRegular View Post
Here's a question. Everyone discusses the trading of our first pick. No one mentions the possibility of parlaying LA's first round pick into a player. Granted, it wouldn't bring the return the 1st or 2nd overall pick would but it's still a first round pick.
Where's the question?

At any rate, the pick is fluid therefore it's less of a discussion piece. We don't know where it's going to land and we don't know if we're even going to keep it this year. We got RJ for a pick like that. Maybe we can poach a player from a cap team. We will have to see.

Old
04-09-2012, 08:35 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

There are no untouchables on a team that finished nine points out of 29th. None. There are some we might be reluctant to trade and some we'd ask a great deal for in trade, but none that are not available in the right deal. None.

Old
04-09-2012, 11:10 AM
Xoggz22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBarRegular View Post
If Nash is in fact traded, we have almost $17 million coming off the books. If Mason is likewise jettisoned, take off nearly $3 million more. We are accumulating draft picks and we've got some financial flexibility. We're set on the back end. Now the question becomes can we attract any potential UFA forwards to come here without having to overspend ridiculoulsly?

This has been discussed in the draft thread(s). Personally, I'm hoping that if it is moved it's part of the deal to upgrade our goaltending. I like Schneider. It's going to take more than the 15-18 pick but we could probably add something attractive enough to get Vancouver to talk.

I don't have access to CapGeek but I think there is more than $17MM off the books next year. I have $13MM in my head without the trade of Vermette and Nash (potentially). There was Pahlsson (traded), Juice, Martinek, MacKenzie, Russel, Boyce, Sanford, Prospal (re-signed), Lebda and AJ as UFA's. You also have Dorsett, Nikitin and Boll as RFA's. Add in Vermette and Nash and that puts us in the $38-$39MM range which gives us almost $25MM in cap space.

This does not include removing Mason or possibly trading one of the current defensemen which could be possible depending on what Nash returns if/when traded. I like our defense but would still like to add another piece or two. The goaltending needs improved with likely 2 goaltenders. Sanford would be fine for 1-2 years to give York more time to show whether he's a capable NHL player. We really need help up front. If we bring in younger players this cap space becomes valuable for new contracts. I just don't see spending it on UFA's this year.

Old
04-09-2012, 12:35 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
There are no untouchables on a team that finished nine points out of 29th. None. There are some we might be reluctant to trade and some we'd ask a great deal for in trade, but none that are not available in the right deal. None.
I wouldn't trade JMFJ, unless the deal is outrageous. So for the sake of the conversation, he is untouchable. With is attitude since he came here and his skill set, I can't think of too many defenders I would consider trading him for.

I wouldn't trade Atkinson as the deal that would be necessary for me to consider moving him wouldn't be proposed by another team. That makes him effectively untouchable.

Same thing for Dorse.

I agree with your premise, to a point. There are a few untouchables on this team, but mainly because they are worth more to us than they are to other teams.

However, I think JMFJ would be a quick ticket to a dead phone line. Short of holding Howson down and making him listen. I know it would be for me if I was in his shoes. His contract his great, he is performing, he wants to be here. He seems able and excited to fulfill the role we have given him. Nope... I see no way I move him. He is, already, the most valuable member of this team.

Prospal isn't going anywhere either. He is going to be a member of this franchise after his playing days. Offers won't even be entertained.

Old
04-09-2012, 12:54 PM
Xoggz22

Short list in my book....

JMFJ!

The guy is the epitomy of what I want the CBJ to be. It's funny to go back and read how bad some of the Kings fans thought this guy was. He's not perfect but he's got all the skills to be a top pair guy and a defenseman you can build around

Old
04-09-2012, 01:12 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
I see no merit in discussing "untouchables". Virtually nobody's going to bother to actually analyze player strengths and come up with a plan; it's just all "We're EPIC FAIL so there are no untouchables" plus the occasional exceptions of one or two Flavors Of The Month.

For all the kvetching I see of Howson having failed to bring in players that work well together, there seems to be very little focus on attempting to arrange just that. Go figure, eh?

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
04-09-2012, 01:21 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
I see no merit in discussing "untouchables". Virtually nobody's going to bother to actually analyze player strengths and come up with a plan; it's just all "We're EPIC FAIL so there are no untouchables" plus the occasional exceptions of one or two Flavors Of The Month.
It's been done quite a bit over time (I think there was a "If you were the GM thread). I had a nice, long, post about just this. Complete with my super awesome plan. Sure to impress no one. I even threw in some FA names.

Meaning? Your statement is a bit inaccurate.

While I didn't go to the level of evaluating player strength here was my plan from page 2, I think.

Quote:
To the original topic.

1. Free up cap room while acquiring assets. This includes trading the captain and, if possible, RJ. Trade Methot.
3. UFA's. Sign MacKenzie and Boyce to a two year deal. Investigate what it would take to bring back Juice on a two year deal. If it's Prospal or less, bring him back. AJ is gone. Lebda, depends on what is available in the FA market for a #7 D. Russell to a two-way deal.
4. RFA's. Dorse to a three year deal. Boll to a two year deal. Nikitin to a two year deal.
5. Sign Sanford to a two year deal as the backup. Acquire a starting goal tender. Send Mason to the AHL.
6. Listen to offers for Tyutin and Brassard.

Roster makeup of "keepers".

Prospal/Huselius - xxxx - xxxx (2.5 Cap)
Huselius/Prospal - Johansen - Atkinson (5.25 Cap)
Gillies - Letestu - Dorsett (2.5 - 3.0 Cap)
Boll/Calvert - MacKenzie - Boll/Kubalik (2.0 Cap or so)
Boyce (13th forward)

JMJF - xxxx (4.3 Cap)
Wiz - Nikitin (7.5 - 8.0 Cap)
Moore - Savard/Golo/FA (2 - 3 Cap hit)
1 mill cap or less for 7th D

xxxx
Sanford (1 - 1.5 Cap hit)

Around 13 million on Forwards
Around 15.5 million on Defense
Around 1.5 on backup Goal Tender

30 million entering FA, depending on what we get back for traded assets. Return assets could impact other signings on the team or dictate other moves.

Forwards I would consider on the FA Market, realizing there is little chance of any of them.

Jones, Boyes, Stoll, Kostitsyn, Hudler, Kelly

Defense, same conditions.

I would throw the farm at Suter. Carle, Oduya, Jackman, O'Brien, Lundin

Goaltenders - Vokoun, Harding

My preference would be on acquiring forwards and goaltender via trade, defense via FA.

There is your "reshape". I would consider next year a transitional year. I would not be opposed to throwing Nail to the wolves if that situation became a reality. My primary focus would be on goal tending and defense. I would get as much NHL depth as possible on the blue line. That could mean signing 3 defensemen.

Oh, one important note. My target for cap hit would be around 52 million.
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1139329

Enjoy.

Last edited by blahblah: 04-09-2012 at 01:30 PM.
Old
04-09-2012, 01:39 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
It's been done quite a bit over time (I think there was a "If you were the GM thread). I had a nice, long, post about just this. Complete with my super awesome plan. Sure to impress no one. I even threw in some FA names.

Meaning? Your statement is a bit inaccurate.

While I didn't go to the level of evaluating player strength here was my plan from page 2, I think.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1139329

Enjoy.
That's why I said "virtually nobody". 'Cause I knew you were around.

Old
04-09-2012, 01:51 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

nice write up BB...i hope we don't resign boll though...i'm sure we could go with byers or bass just as easily and prob be cheaper...

gotta figure that blank spot on top line is our first/second overall pick...I posted earlier about possible trade of LA 1st to Colorado for Stastny and if we get say Rags 1st in the Nash deal, that + can go for Schnieder or Enroth or Holtby etc...

Old
04-09-2012, 01:59 PM
gojackets1
Someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
nice write up BB...i hope we don't resign boll though...i'm sure we could go with byers or bass just as easily and prob be cheaper...

gotta figure that blank spot on top line is our first/second overall pick...I posted earlier about a trade of LA 1st to Colorado for Stastny and if we get say Rags 1st in the Nash deal, that + can go for Schnieder or Enroth or Holtby etc...
Stastny would be cool, but it could take more than that imo. Or has his play (and therefore value) dropped off that drastically?

Old
04-09-2012, 02:07 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojackets1 View Post
Stastny would be cool, but it could take more than that imo. Or has his play (and therefore value) dropped off that drastically?
sorry, i orginally said as a basis for a trade...

Old
04-09-2012, 02:10 PM
gojackets1
Someday.

Quote:
sorry, i orginally said as a basis for a trade...
Oh my bad, I didnt see your other post. That is a very good start.

Old
04-09-2012, 03:36 PM
blahblah

Quote:
nice write up BB...i hope we don't resign boll though...
You will never hear me suggest getting rid of Boll. I don't want to be killed in my sleep my Cougar.

Old
04-10-2012, 03:43 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

What is Vokoun's supposed personal connection to Columbus? Thanks.

Old
04-10-2012, 08:05 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
I was thinking this too. What gives?

Old
04-10-2012, 08:16 PM
punk_o_holic

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Last Summer, some posters on here said that they heard Vokoun, once retired, plans to move his family to Dublin. I didn't see any links to these rumours though.

Or were you wondering why Vokoun would choose Dublin as a place to move to?

Old
04-12-2012, 08:39 PM
EspenK

Resurrecting this thread to discuss this comment from Porty's chat today

"...to the point where I think most right-thinking people have to assume Nash doesn't believe he can win here. Further to that point is this: the Blue Jackets do not appear ready to undertake a massive overhaul of the roster, a rebuilding. They aren't going to blow the roster up this summer and embark on a 3- of 4-year plan, a la Edmonton. Nash said he was told a rebuild was coming and so he asked to leave to help facilitate that rebuild. What if the rebuild is Nash?

I don't like this. if this is true they are saying get a goalie, JMFJ is a big plus maybe we trade Nash, maybe not; and playoffs here we come. I think this is fairy tale thinking if true.

Old
04-12-2012, 09:12 PM
Xoggz22

After the draft I could see something like:

Dubinsky Brassard Atkinson
Umberger Johansen Paajarvi
Prospal Kreider Dorsett
Boll Letestu MacKenzie
x - Gillies

JMFJ Wiz
Nikitin Tyutin
Moore Schenn
x - UFA

Schneider
Mason

To get here....

Nash to NYR for Dubinsky, Kreider, Miller, 1st

#2 to TOR for #5 and Schenn

#17 and Kubalik to VAN for Schneider

Methot, #31 to EDM for MPS, 2013 4th

Draft whoever is left of the top 5 (Forsberg or Galchenyuk) with the TOR pick and draft Dansk or Vasilevski(?) with Rangers 1st. Draft Ebert with #45.

Have at it....

Closed Thread